Past experience: Sunday league footballer

Hello then,

A small concern of mine....I always choose to manage Tottenham, and since I would like a bit of realism, i chose my past experience to be "sunday league footballer". As I expected, the whole squad's morale is down since I am inexperienced. I can accept that of course, that is what has to be expected.

The thing is .....team talks for me are not only useless, but actually harm my chances of winning everytime!! When I try to encourage them, they "seem to lose focus". . when I tell them there is no pressure, they "switch off", the best I can hope for is "no reaction". I'm not overreacting here, not even a positive reaction, and I know how to manage team talks, when I had played a game with Automatic experience, everytime in half-time team talks i had 'delighted' , 'motivated' , or 'relaxed' all over the squad.

My point is . . .should i stop talking to my players in half time? and if that's the case, so the team-talks is a lost game for inexperienced managers????

just to clarify something . . . If I let my assistant manager take team talks, does that mean that they may react differently, even if he issues the same team-talks i would have issued??? I thought that letting my ass-man take over the team talks just means that he only SELECTS the team-talk, and nothing else. I don't know if you get what i mean

I can understand that the negative players' reactions are there to add to the realism of an inexperienced manager talking to them, BUT . .wouldn't it be more realistic if lets say I try to encourage them , the response be "didn't seem to be listening", instead of "seemed to lose focus" ??? Why lose focus when someone is trying to encourage you?? or why lose confidence if he says you played well??

I think this should be fixed, and it's more realistic for the players to IGNORE the inexperienced manager, thus the team talks being of no use - at first - , than the team talks having a negative effect no matter what is to be said.

By the way, letting the assistant manager do the team talk is still the same thing, he just chooses what I would say, and the players react the same negative way as if I'd say it

I maintain this makes no sense whatsoever in the general context of the gameworld.

I mean... if FM allows an unexperienced manager (ie. a nobody) to take charge of a Top Club from DAY ONE despite being a nobody in the history of football as both player AND manager, then the whole "oh but the players are entitled to ignore you because you're nothing" scenario is just plain stupid.

We want realism? Fine. Starting reputation limits the range of clubs you can choose to manage, or, for the most adventurous, it's the unemployment line without no other option.

THEN, once you've made a name for yourself in BSN or in Belgian 2nd division you can get better jobs and, depending on circumstances, even land a prestigious job.

Nothing will prevent, however, some players at your new club from being unimpressed with your resume anyway.. but at least it'll be a realistic path.

If the game allows me to be "myself" and to kick Sir Alex out of his job at Old Trafford from day one, no questions asked, I expect the game to treat me with the "respect" the manager Man Utd's board decided to appoint.

The new difficulty added by this stupid "lack of respect/trust" is just fake and it makes me question the need of even having a "starting reputation"... The starting reputation is the "average level" a coach who gets hired at the club we choose.

Otherwise, as said, reputation should dictate which clubs we can apply to.

Instead FM tries to have it both ways... so the casual gamer (the vast majority of the customer base) will still win trebles with Chelsea year in and year out as "international footballer", while the long-term managers will have to go through months of frustration for no apparent reason while some will even be "happy" with a new layer of pseudo-realism.

In Sim City you didn't have your advisors ignoring your instructions just because you got appointed as mayor without having climbed the ladder of local politics... :)

"Sorry mayor, but you weren't here last term, so the traffic advisor decided we don't need the tube as you planned, but we've spent the last million we had on the fifth mall in the mall district. By the way, we're broke and the angry commuters will get you relieved from duty next friday. Have a nice day"

well, I'm beginning to think of it just like a difficulty mode: easy (for international footballers), medium (automatic), hard (sunday league footballer). I definitely agree with RBKalle, something has to be changed here!

Do I remember correctly that the last version of FM did not allow you to select low experience if you selected a top reputation club? That has to be implemented i think

RBKalle is spot on. It's like SI are having a bit both ways in an attempt to simulate difficulty levels.

Silly thing is you can start with a poor reputation, win the league first season and your players still may not completely respect you, whereas in real life the manager and players who have experienced success together would be very close.

In reality I think if by some strange way a manager with no experience at all took over at tottenham.....

You mean like now? Andre Villas-Boas? Pretty sure he's never played at any respectable level. Neither did Mourinho etc.

Reputation should be done on managerial exp. rather than playing.

You mean like now? Andre Villas-Boas? Pretty sure he's never played at any respectable level. Neither did Mourinho etc.

Reputation should be done on managerial exp. rather than playing.

On fm you start your management career they managed smaller clubs and were assistants at big clubs before that to get where they are today

I think there should be a "club hero" reputation in addition to the four we already have. You are respected and trusted by the club, staff and players, but completely inexperienced as a manager and thus everyone outside the club are uncertain about you. This way you could take over ManU without having problems with the players, but you wouldn't be asked to be England's manager after one season and it would be difficult to get big-name players to come the first few seasons.

Your ability to play football well has very little correlation to your ability to be a successful manager. Aside from the understanding of a wide range of tactics and the responsibilities for each position (which very little players can boast) being a manager is more... well just that, your ability to manage people and motivate them.

I would understand initial confusion among players if a nobody was hired at Utd/Chelsea etc but, just like we saw with AVB, the players got behind him to begin with.

IF you play poorly and the team is under-performing then A. You need to put the game down because if you can't win with those teams then you shouldn't be playing and B. The players should speak out like they do in real life and only then should they start to doubt your ability.

In my save Sir Alex had Utd in 10th for most of the season and half the team kicked off and said the team was under-performing. The club stuck with him and they're now in 3rd. Forgetting that no player at Man Utd would ever think of speaking out against Sir Alex, much less that they would find themselves that low in the league, that's the way players should react to a lesser known manager, not ignoring them in team talks.

In my save Sir Alex had Utd in 10th for most of the season and half the team kicked off and said the team was under-performing. The club stuck with him and they're now in 3rd. Forgetting that no player at Man Utd would ever think of speaking out against Sir Alex, much less that they would find themselves that low in the league, that's the way players should react to a lesser known manager, not ignoring them in team talks.

The point is though, if the team is winning 1-0, and the lesser known manager is encouraging/pleased with the efforts, would you think that it's realistic for the players to "lose focus" or "lose confidence" etc???? I'm not talking about respect in general, this thread is about team-talks and the effect of them when you are an inexperienced manager.

The point is though, if the team is winning 1-0, and the lesser known manager is encouraging/pleased with the efforts, would you think that it's realistic for the players to "lose focus" or "lose confidence" etc???? I'm not talking about respect in general, this thread is about team-talks and the effect of them when you are an inexperienced manager.

I know what the thread's about, I was simply saying that if the players have an issue with an inexperienced manager they should react in the way I said rather than in team talks. Only after a poor run of form when the club is under-performing should they start to question your ability in team talks and the like, providing you're inexperienced.

I used an under-performing Man Utd as an example of how I think players 'should' react.

Archived