Hong Kong management, qualifying for the ACL & newgens.

I'm currently managing the Hong Kong club Southern District. Since taking over I've built the club to become a dominating force in Hong Kong, having few problems taking most of the domestic titles each season. Recently I've also had success in the Asian Confederations Cup, winning it twice in a row. This brings me to my first question; doesn't winning the Asian Confederations Cup automatically have the club qualify for the Asian Champions League the following year? I remember this behavior from FM11, and I've seen quite a few threads on this board confirming it for FM12. I've noticed that none of the teams that won Confederations Cup in my save qualified for the ACL the following season. I'm unsure whether this is a change in the official format or a bug in FM13, hopefully someone has some info on this.

The other question I have regards newgens from Hong Kong. I've read in some threads that each nation has a talent pool that basically keeps obscure countries from populating the game with amazing talents. Is this a hidden static setting, or does it take several aspects into consideration when determining the size and potential skill level of the talent pool? If so, what exactly are the aspects (for example dynamic league reputation)? I honestly hope that there isn't a single static setting that deliberately holds a nation back from producing great talents, as in my opinion it would be unrealistic. This was one of the few things that annoyed me with FM11. I managed SAFFC in Singapore for almost 30 seasons, and during that time I was unable to produce a single talent that really blew my mind.

each nation has a youth rating which i think is static. It dictates the standard of youth players from a nation, how club facilities and reputation combine with this i don't know. Hong Kong will never produce many good players and possibly none.

I've been in three finals, but I always end back up in the Confederations Cup the following year. Example: Seongnam won the 2014 Confederations Cup by beating Saba Qom. In 2015 neither were in any continental cup. The same applies to Al-Ettifaq, the winners of the 2015 season, they were not in any continental cup in 2016.

I did notice that Suwon were in the 2014 ACL after winning the Confederations Cup in 2013, however I believe that is a result of their position in the league as they've been in CL ever since.

@Thebaker

I read somewhere that starting from one of the FM12 patches, club facilities has no impact on newgens.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting to get a HK Messi, but at least (a few) players that match my success. In my FM11 SAFFC save my strategy was to find foreign youngsters, bring them into the club for 4 years so they could get dual citizenship. This doesn't work well in HK as the restrictions are only 6 foreigners in any of the club's teams and the required period for citizenship is 7 years.

I'm currently experimenting with scouting knowledge and newgens (my youth recruitment network is above average). I've hired foreign scouts regardless of their stats in hopes of getting a decent foreign newgen with dual citizenship. I have been able to produce a couple of those, but they haven't been remotely decent. I'm not sure if it's even possible to get a good player in HK regardless of citizenship, maybe the HK talent pool affects that as well. The best HK newgen in my save was actually produced in Niigata Unicorn in Japan.

From the wikipedia page it also looks like Hong Kong have to be high enough up the rankings for you to qualify for the Champions League: "The previous year AFC Cup finalists may also enter qualifying play-offs given that their league meets the AFC Champions League criteria".

Hm. I just skimmed through a PDF file with the criterias. While after one season in HK the league gets expanded from 10 teams to 12 teams (target for ACL 2012), the number of league matches is just 22, and not 33 as the ACL 2012 target is. I guess if the criterias are implemented, HK would not fulfill them. However, as I noted, Seongnam did not automatically qualify for the ACL following their Confederations Cup victory, and I would believe South Korean teams meets the criteria as they already have 4 teams that enters the competition.

Nice to see people managing in Asia! I think Asia still needs alot of work in FM.. Like having the 'rich' leagues playable by now! Doesn't make sense.

I agree with you there, I would love to be able to manage in these countries without having to add unofficial leagues. :)

As for HK and the ACL. The ACL as stated works on a qualification through createria progress. The league and teams has to have certain facilities and what not. To give Asian football the best imagine and chance. So that probably isn't coded into FM yet so have to stick with the confed cup. Like Vaduz in Swiss leave can never enter the Champs league just the Europa league.

So I've understood. However, as rancer890 says - and I believe this was the case in FM11 as I played the ACL every second season with SAFFC, if you participate in the final of the Confed Cup, you should qualify for the ACL the next season. I know they have coded the behavior of the ACL to prevent certain clubs to participate in the ACL like in reality, such as Wellington Phoenix of New Zealand that plays in the Hyundai A-League. But to once again mention the Seongnam case. They were in, and won, the Confederations Cup in 2014, but in 2015 they had no continental cup fixtures. They should meet every requirement for the ACL as they played in the ACL in seasons both before and after 2014.

As for regens. There's a lot of England/HK dual national. Maybe one f them will turn out better. Yet. My friend has a long term Faroe island save. His team is the best in the league. Yet he has 0

Faroes. None have ever came through even with this dynamic league thing. The Faroes national team are ranked bottom in te world. So it's abit of a shame if none ever come through. It defeats the purpose of using the low leagues! Yeah HK Messi might never come but a decent/better then usual player is found in every nation every couple of years.

I agree! It is a shame. That's exactly why I'm so interested in finding out what the basis for newgens are. How could a country like HK theoretically produce a player that could at least play in a league with at least English Championship standard?

Archived