Need Help With Strategy and Philosophy!?

I have just about worked out the basics of tactics in FM; however I still struggle With strategy and philosophy. I know what they mean; however I struggle to find the correlation between them.

Now strategy is pretty much obvious. However I have never understood 'counter'; in terms of when to use it. My thinking is when you know that a team is going to be attacking against you and therefore you can hit them on the break? Is it better to do this away from home!? It really confuses me!!!

Then philosophy! Do you select it depending on the strategy that you have picked? Do you change it from game to game? Or do you leave it alone all season?

Appreciate any help!!!!

I'm not sure how it works in FM but certainly in real life you are better to pick a philosophy and stick with it so players are comfortable within the tactical framework with which you want them to operate. Changing from rigid to fluid on a game by game basis is not good for players in real life. What impact it has in FM I don't know. You need somebody with recent experience of this game to answer.

The above thread doesn't address philosophy though.

Because it's about classic tactics :)

Does FM reward you for maintaining a constant philosophy or can you for example play fluid at home and rigid away without being penalised by the game?

In terms of tactical fluidity it doesn't matter but I choose philosophy in relation to my formation (if it is flat or not) and players (if they are multifunctional or not).

Because it's about classic tactics :)

In terms of tactical fluidity it doesn't matter but I choose philosophy in relation to my formation (if it is flat or not) and players (if they are multifunctional or not).

So can I go with a control/fluid/short game at home and counter/rigid/direct game away or will the differing philosophies every week 'confuse' the players?

So can I go with a control/fluid/short game at home and counter/rigid/direct game away or will the differing philosophies every week 'confuse' the players?

Yes, you can but playing with less creative freedom and more standing-off seems more rational for me than philosophy change (because mentality gaps, creativity and pressing are main differences between philosophies).

Archived