Problems scoring goals

I'm playing as Plymouth Argyle, using a 4-1-2-3 formation, and the problem I'm having is with regard to scoring goals. Defensively everything is ok, conceding on average 1 goal per game, with the odd exception. But attacking-wise, scoring is a real issue, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I set the mentality to attacking, overload, normal or counter.

My tactic

PlymouthArgyle_TacticsOverview.png

Team instructions

PlymouthArgyle_TacticsTeam.png

The results

PlymouthArgyle_FixturesSchedule.png

And the league table

npowerLeague2_OverviewStages.png

The board have set promotion as the objective, and my job security is rated as very unstable, so I really need to fix this asap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I believe my team should be capable of better than this.

You have practically no width at all no wonder your players are struggling to create goals. If you have no wingers it is solely down to ur fullbacks to provide width and to create space for your 3 central forwards to exploit yet you have both full backs set to defend. Together with the fact that you have all three forwards on attack duty just means your forwards are stranded high up the pitch with little support and no space to exploit. You need to have at least one of them drop deeper to link up with the midfield. Also, if you're going to stick with this formation, try using the slider to give your team more width and also switch focus passing to the middle only because there's no way you're getting anything down the flanks.

You have practically no width at all no wonder your players are struggling to create goals. If you have no wingers it is solely down to ur fullbacks to provide width and to create space for your 3 central forwards to exploit yet you have both full backs set to defend. Together with the fact that you have all three forwards on attack duty just means your forwards are stranded high up the pitch with little support and no space to exploit. You need to have at least one of them drop deeper to link up with the midfield. Also, if you're going to stick with this formation, try using the slider to give your team more width and also switch focus passing to the middle only because there's no way you're getting anything down the flanks.

I second this. It would seem to be the problem. Do you have the players to move your wide strikers out to the AMRL positions? If so, maybe that would alleviate the problem that you have with width at the moment.

The 3 strikers and how you've got them set up are very static. You need more movement up top and someone to drop off deeper and link up play from the midfield. Without this you are leaving a big gap between the midfield and strikers. So you're going to struggle with getting the ball to the front players and if they do manage to get the ball the opposition will be easily able to defend against them due to lack of movement.

You need more support so I'd suggest changing atleast 1 of the strikers to a support role so they can feed the poacher in.

Your width in the shape you've choosen comes from the fullbacks yet their on a defensive mentality.

Take all the advice given in this thread and watch a game back where you struggles to score or break down the opposition and you should see the problems you have.

If I'm moving two of the three strikers out wide to gain width, should I keep them as forwards set to support or drop them to AMR and AML and set them to attack (or even support)? I will also amend the passing to through the centre, and see how that plays out. I'm reluctant to change the full backs from defensive, as they seem to be doing a decent job of keeping the opposition out.

I concur with most posters above me. You are telling your team to play with width but have no wide mids or wingers. If you dont want to instruct your two strikers to play wide, I would personally change my team width to narrow and tell my groundsman to have the narrowest field size possible.

Thanks guys. Took the advice above, switching two of my strikers to AML and AMR, increased the width, changed passing to through the middle. And the end result? A 4-0 home win against York, who were in the playoffs. Really appreciate the advice, think I might just survive the season now.

Archived