Unrealistic board expectations

So I took over the Wigan job in mid-November when they were sitting 14th in the Championship table. When I joined, the only options that the board gave me for expectations were either promotion (i.e. top 2) or winning the Championship. I took promotion, although I knew it would prove to be quite difficult. Ended the season in 9th place, 2 points away from the playoffs, and although I could have done better, my job status is now very insecure because I failed to achieve promotion.

The same happened earlier in my career. I was actually sacked. I joined Wimbledon in November when they were 24th in league two, 5 points adrift, and finished the season comfortably in 17th place. The board's expectations were a mid-table place (which were also quite unrealistic when you're in such a position in November). I got sacked for the second time since CM 01/02 (the first time I got sacked playing FM ever btw was also earlier in this career but that was my fault).

Pretty sure that in FM 2012 the game would take into account the situation the club was in when you joined, and adjust the expectations accordingly? Or at least not judge you on your first season?

You're probably right, I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this happening? I'm assuming quite a few people have been in this situation...

i was offered an Inter Milan job in the middle of the second season and it said like I won't be judged in that season. i refused though so I don't know what would happen if I took the job..

i was offered an Inter Milan job in the middle of the second season and it said like I won't be judged in that season. i refused though so I don't know what would happen if I took the job..

Hmmm interesting. For the Wigan job they even judged me on the League Cup performance - and we were already out when I joined!! Thankfully they expected us to reach the 3rd round and we had been defeated in the 4th...

Archived