Team Suddenly Turned Awful?

This is the first FM game that I have played, and as a result I'm finding it extremely difficult. Despite this, I managed to do quite well in a manager mode with Southampton and I was 8th in the table after 10 games. I had already beaten Arsenal and Man United and my team was playing well, but all of a sudden we started losing to the worst teams in the league. The team has gone from beating brilliant teams to losing 5, 6 or 7 nil every match. I don't understand why because I haven't changed the tactics, training or players at all and yet for some reason the team cannot defend and loses the ball every ten seconds. Does anyone know what is causing this and how I'm supposed fix it, or will my team just start playing well again after a while?

Thanks

My assumption is that it is because you have not altered your tactics. I assume the game simulates that by using the same tactic each week, the other teams learn how you play and how to play against you. Like in real life. I think the trick is to slightly alter your tactic as the weeks go by. E.g. start using more direct passing rather than shorter passing or use a more fluid style of play rather than rigid. Maybe throw an extra man in defense with 3 center backs and 2 wing backs. Dont change it too much or you team will lose familiarity with the tactic. Read the assistant managers comments during a game to hear his suggestions as well and try and change your tactic according to them.

Same happened to me, 7 games unbeaten at the start of the season with Arsenal, and suddenly I lost to Southampton at home, drew against Norwich at home, lost to QPR away, etc., but after a team meeting my players picked up the early-season form again.

The assistant managers suggestions during the game sometimes baffle me.

For example - if our short passing game during the game is excellent why does he suggest we start playing more direct and throw long balls forward (Shout: Get The Ball Forward) ?? Why would I want to adjust a good thing (our short passing game?!) If it ain't broke don't fix it.

• 7 years later...
On 22/11/2012 at 19:29, Bant15 said:

Okay I'll try altering the tactics then, thanks for the advice :)

Try opening a new thread with a screen shot of your tactic in the tactics forum, and we can give you feedback on what might or might not work :)

8 hours ago, GianniM said:

Try opening a new thread with a screen shot of your tactic in the tactics forum, and we can give you feedback on what might or might not work :)

The quote is 8 years old, so I'm sure this user has moved on. ;)

Not sure why this old thread was necro'd, but I'll close it. If someone does need tactical advice, please post the tactical setup and issues you're facing in the tactics section.

• HUNT3R locked this topic