Russian Around

EvilDave

Thanks elbilly, that's the plan! A little worried we don't have the depth, but it didn't seem to be an issue last season...

July 2027

Zenit St Petersburg 3-2 CSKA - Russian Super Cup

With no new arrivals over the summer and only Sotnikov departing, we're looking very similar to the double-winning side of last season. With a couple away on internationals and only four days since our last friendly, this is used as a run-out for the kids and nothing more. They do alright, overturning an early deficit to go 2-1 up, but Zenit's first team is a little too strong and the winner goes in four minutes from time. The board don't mind, I don't mind, and I'm sure the fans understand who was on the field.

Luch-Energia Vladivostok 0-3 CSKA

We kick the season off at one of the expected strugglers, and as such a few of the younger players stay in the team for the trip out east. It makes no difference to the final result, Filimonov's goal half an hour in added to by a second half Shnaider brace as the hosts are just unable to deal with our movement up front. It's a comfortable start, and one we have to build on now.

CSKA 2-0 Volga Nizhny Novgorod

We've had issues with Volga before, so to see us deal with them so easily is reassuring. They manage five shots to our 20, and we're in control from the off, rewarded early on through Kuznetsov. We don't look too clinical, but are never in danger at the back, and a controversial penalty on the hour gives Shnaider the chance to wrap up the points. He takes it, and we go two from two.

Kuban Krasnodar 0-4 CSKA

Kuban got promoted back into the top flight last season, but are by no means a bad side and should survive. That said, we blow them apart completely in the opening 20 minutes, Shnaider on top form. The first comes just as the clock reaches double figures, his header going in off the bar and goalkeeper to register as an own goal, but further strikes two, eight and ten minutes later give him a rapid-fire hat-trick and leave the home crowd shellshocked. I'm slightly disappointed we leave it at four, and even more so as Vincent is ruled out for four months, but it's a nice statement to make nonetheless as the first month draws to a close.

russianpremierdivisiono.png

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August 2027

Alania Vladikavkaz 0-2 CSKA

We headed to the Caucasus in great form, and again we got ourselves off to a good start, Kuznetsov showing his partner that we have other players capable of scoring goals. The rest of the first half is a bit of a breeze as we keep Alania at arms' length, and in the second period it's the in-form forward that doubles the lead and wraps up a routine away win. It wasn't long ago that such a concept was lost on us.

CSKA 4-0 Spartak Moscow

Spartak, whether they're challenging or not, are the enemy. That's just how it is. They come at us accordingly and have a goal ruled out in the opening minutes, but as the first half goes on the game balances out and we start to find our rhythm. When the second period starts we're a different animal, taking the lead through Semenov and then quickly doubling it from a corner. Without ever piling forward we're all over the visitors, and in the last quarter of the game we punish them, Shnaider first collecting a through ball for the third and then bending in a beautiful 25 yard effort for the salt in the wounds. A superb performance.

CSKA 2-2 Krylya Sovetov Samara

Of course, after every brilliant show comes a disappointment, and after all our impressive form I can only assume complacency is the issue here. We're just not that good against the Wings, and they punish us half an hour by taking the lead from the penalty spot. We hit back through Palacios but they go ahead again, and it's left to Semenov to draw us level on the stroke of half time. We're marginally better after the break, but they look just as likely to score and in the end a draw is probably fair. A bit of a reality check perhaps after our flying start, and one I hope we can learn from sooner rather than later.

Olympique Lyonnais 1-2 CSKA - European Super Cup

On the same day we're put in a horrible-looking group of Chelsea, Inter and Schalke for the Champions League, we get a good test by taking on the defending champions in Holland. Perhaps with the Krylya game in mind we start strongly, and take a surprise lead when Kuznetsov follows up his own shot after 12 minutes. The game is pleasingly even, Lyon having possession but looking vulnerable on the break, but on the hour mark the man who missed the decisive penalty for Spurs in the Europa League final bursts through to level the scores and enact a bit of personal revenge. We're not done though, and in typical fashion it's Shnaider who heads in with just five minutes to play, and with so little time remaining we ride out a spot of pressure for a healthy cash reward, a boost to morale and a trophy in the cabinet.

Unfortunately it must definitely is, we avoided most of the big guns for the first few games and then... well, I'll let you see for yourself.

September 2027

Gazovik Orenburg 0-1aet CSKA - Russian Cup 5th Round

Motivation issues or not, my youngsters obviously found a trip out to the Urals a little harder than expected as we visited one of the Second Division leaders. We rested our big guns but still had plenty of talent on the pitch, and whilst Gazovik rarely threatened we put on a laboured performance. In the end it took extra time to finally grab the win, Kamil Ganiev the man with the goal, and we scrape through to the 6th round.

CSKA 3-1 Internazionale Milano - Champions League Group F, Game 1/6

Now in the second pot of seeds, Inter are still a massive game and a tough one to start our CL campaign. Thankfully no-one decided to tell Kuznetsov, and he started by winning the early penalty for his strike partner to convert. He added one of his own in the first half before the Italians got one back, and with the game still open in the second period it was the same man who stabbed home a third for a famous win and a great European start.

CSKA 1-0 Amkar Perm

Just a couple of days later we had Amkar to deal with, and although we got through it in the end they made it very difficult for our tired stars. Kuznetsov got the goal midway through the second half to keep his own good form up, but on another day we could have had three or four and our failure to do so is a little worrying.

Krasnodar 3-1 CSKA - Russian Cup 6th Round

There goes our trophy for another year. I wanted the Cup back for my third personal success, but despite an impressive first half performance, our poor record in Krasnodar continues. We had gone ahead on the stroke of half time through Shnaider, but a different home team came out for the second period and blew off us the park with their attacking movement, scoring three unanswered goals to dump us out. Frustratingly, we weren't the only big team to fall at this stage, leaving the competition wide open.

Lokomotiv Moscow 3-0 CSKA

We lost this game, and in retrospect a substantial amount of our hope for the season, inside the first half hour here. Loko grabbed one on five minutes, a second on 25, and on 38 forced Shnaider off with an injury that would rule him out for up to four months. Without our star striker we crumbled, offering little in attack and gifting the hosts a third in the second half as we crashed to a first league defeat and second in a row in all competitions.

Schalke 04 2-2 CSKA - Champions League Group F, Game 2/6

Again we got off to a shocking start away from home, conceding twice in the opening 25 minutes to a side most likely to be preventing us achieving our goal of spring football in Europe. However, unlike the Loko game we didn't collapse, the unlikely source of Capuano's left boot pulling one back before a late red card and Kuznetsov penalty earned us a share of the spoils. Fortunate perhaps, but our battling deserved it.

October 2027

Anzhi Makhachkala 1-0 CSKA

We're really starting to struggle away from home now, and down in Dagestan I was half expecting Anzhi to really put us to the sword. They didn't, but they continued to show their title crednetials with a professional display, breaking through on the stroke of half time and restricting our chances to snatched opportunities and hopeful balls forward. We needed a win here to go top, and in the end we were some way away form getting one.

Mordovia Saransk 0-2 CSKA

Thankfully we still have Kuznetsov to try and fill in for the injured Shnaider, and while he isn't as prolific he does get the odd goal. He eases a lot of nerves with an early goal in Saransk, and he's the first one substituted as protection when Volobuev rattles in the second midway through the second half. It's a good boost to our shaky confidence, but we'll need to do this against bigger sides than Mordovia.

CSKA 1-1 Krasnodar

Krasnodar are fast becoming my least favourite team. Losing to title rivals I can understand if not accept, but I can't figure out why we find it so hard to play against the Bulls. They take the lead half an hour in after dominating the early stages, and although we do exert pressure our play is disjointed and we never look like scoring. Thankfully we do, Capuano getting his second goal of the season with literally the last kick of the game, but we have to consider this two points dropped.

Chelsea 1-1 CSKA - Champions League Group F, Game 3/6

Chelsea may have won just two titles since 2012, but with Abramovich's money still flowing, they're a huge challenge and one with added Russian flavour. They're also far too good for us if the opening stages of the match are anything to go by, and it's a shock to everyone at Stamford Bridge when Kuznetsov puts us ahead with our first real attack of the game. We defend valiantly until he gets himself sent off 70 minutes in, and they finally make the extra man count, scoring five minutes from time to salvage a deserved point. So close, yet so very far.

CSKA 2-1 Rubin Kazan

I'm always a little scared of Rubin, but this time we have no reason to be as Volobuev chooses this as the game to come out of the shadows and set Moscow alight, two superb goals in the first half hour giving us a nice lead with which to work on. We fail to add to it, and even allow the visitors a glimmer of hope by conceding a penalty midway through the second half, but they don't get near us after that and we take a welcome win.

Terek Grozny 1-3 CSKA

If Volobuev won us the last game, Zuniga won us this one. His jinking run in the 11th minute results in the game's opening goal, and he wins and scores the penalty which gives us much-needed insurance at the death. In between the Chechen fans witness a lively game with yellow cards aplenty and a goal for each side, but it's our Chilean who sees us home and gives me something to think about regarding his own backup status within the club.

Zenit St Petersburg 3-0 CSKA

No, no, no. Normally we give Zenit at least a good run for their moeny, this time they cut through us like a hot knife through butter as we fall apart in St Petersburg. A penalty in the 13th minute is quickly followed by a set piece in the 17th, and whilst we at least make them wait until injury time for their third, we simply don't show up and fail to create a single clear cut opportunity. Far form ideal, and at the moment, far from title-winning form.

russianpremierdivisionoz.png

Yep, I don't know if my players naturally up their games against Europe's elite, but no-one touches us in Moscow! We're often better in Europe than in the league, which is irritating at times!

November 2027

CSKA 1-1 Chelsea - Champions League Group F, Game 4/6

With plenty of talk about our home record, we could have done with a win against the Londoners to boost our qualification chances, but it wasn't to be. In fact this turned into a reverse copy of the first meeting - Chelsea dominated but scored early this time, and only a spell of late pressure got us a point when Volobuev bundled one over the line in the 84th minute. We'll need to win in Milan to realistically go through now, but Schalke are poor so we should at least have a chance to defend our Europa League crown.

CSKA 2-1 Luch-Energia Vladivostok

When our early pressure failed to bring a breakthrough against the strugglers, I wasn't too concerned. When our centre backs managed to put their top scorer clean through in the 36th minute however, I was. Thankfully we had Zuniga on our side, the Chilean continuing his penchant for spectacular solo efforts with the equaliser and then putting a free kick in the top corner for the second half winner. A narrow escape.

Volga Nizhny Novgorod 1-4 CSKA

In the first half at Volga we were terrible, absolutely shocking - a single goal deficit barely enough to highlight our inferiority. However, I happen to have a very determined bunch of players, and after I gave them an earful and the equaliser went in, the hosts couldn't get near us as we put in a superb spell to blow them away. Four unanswered goals, and three hard-earned points.

Internazionale Milano 2-0 CSKA - Champions League Group F, Game 5/6

Truth be told, as much as I enjoyed our win over Inter at home, we couldn't really hold a candle to them in the San Siro and fell away to an easy defeat. We need Inter to do us a favour and beat Chelsea in London if we want to go through, and that's with a home win over Schalke from our end. It's not impossible, but it is unlikely.

CSKA 2-0 Kuban Krasnodar

We round out the month by hosting the promoted side, and after a comfortable away win we're hoping for the same at our place. It doesn't go quite to plan, the Krasnodar outfit frustrating us for two-thirds of the game before Kuznetsov gives us the lead, but he strikes again five minutes later to wrap up the win and keep us in touch at the top of the table.

December 2027

CSKA 2-1 Dinamo Moscow

Dinamo have made a superb start to the season and can go third with a win, so we have to be on our guard. it's that man Kuznetsov who kicks us off after just five minutes, but they level within three and then my squad's youthful nature shows itself, teenage full back Udaltsov dismissed for a flailing elbow in just the 19th minute. We leave just one up top in an effort to preserve our point, but incredibly we manage even more, 70 minutes with ten men no bother for our in-form striker, who grabs the winner with ten minutes to play to send us top on games won.

Spartak Moscow 1-0 CSKA

It's been a little while since we lost in the league, but at Spartak seemed a likely place for it to happen with a new manager in place and a packed house against their rivals. The goal came early, giving us plenty of time to get back at them, but they did a professional job on us and claimed a win their defensive efforts deserved. Our spell at the top ends somewhat prematurely.

CSKA 2-0 Schalke 04 - Champions League Group F, 6/6

We need a combination of results to see us through, and midway through the first half we're heading into the knockouts as Inter go ahead just after Palacios' free kick earns us the lead. We double our advantage through Volobuev, but ultimately it's in vain as Chelsea rally at home to beat the Italians and claim the second qualification spot. Our consolation is the Europa League, and a meeting with some old friends of mine...

Krylya Sovetov Samara 1-1 CSKA

We finish a largely successful year with a poor result in Samara, splitting the points after a miserable game which sees just four shots on target. Our one does go in, but they equalise five minutes afterwards, and from then on we're clinging to the draw at times, rarely able to exert the pressure we need to push for a win. A disappointing end to 2027, but we're still in the hunt.

Still in the hunt for the title. Hopefully you can keep it up after the winter break.

How do you manage the winter break? I have experiencing managing in Russia and Ukraine and usually we're pretty flat to start off the second half.

Thanks guys, looks like it's going down to wire, and all the sides involved have got some tricky games coming up! Rancer - I don't do anything fancy, two or three friendlies (which I invariably pick up injuries in!) but I mainly use it for changing training focuses and tutoring, along with transfer stuff. Oche - Salyut have done well for a relatively small club, even making to the PL for a short while. As I type, they're 3rd in D1, so may be making a return. Here's their position graph.

February/March 2028

Shakhtar Donetsk 0-1 CSKA - Europa League First Knockout Round First Leg

That's right, our reward for CL failure is a meeting with my old Ukrainian nemesis, who now face strong challenges from Dynamo and Metalist at home. There's barely a homegrown player in sight for the hosts as we travel to Donetsk, but for all their Brazilians they can't get through our resolute defence, and Kuznetsov's goal 12 seconds into the second half puts the icing on a most satisfying cake.

CSKA 4-1 Shakhtar Donetsk - Europa League First Knockout Round Second Leg

Occasionally FM gives you reason to smile a smug little smile - this was one of them. We absolutely destroy Shakhtar at home, going 3-0 up inside half an hour, and although you do pull one back before the break, teenage striker Ganiev is able to add to the rout with a strike of his own as we breeze into the next round. Having struggled against this lot for three years with Dynamo, I enjoyed this far too much.

CSKA 3-1 Alania Vladikavkaz

Our title win last year was built on a superb post-Christmas run, so we're looking for the same this year, starting at home against Alania. They prove all too easy to brush aside, two early goals (one from the spot) for our in-form poacher up front and some injury time insurance from Filimonov more than enough to keep the visitors in their lower midtable spot.

CSKA 5-1 Bayer 04 Leverkusen - Europa League Second Knockout Round First Leg

I'm not normally one for playing at home first, but quite frankly if we perform like this I don't care which way round the legs come. We beat Leverkusen fairly comfortably in the group stage last season, but nothing could have prepared them for this onslaught. We took a 4-0 lead inside 25 minutes to kill the tie before it even started, and while a consolation did arrive, so did a fifth for us as Volobuev completed a hat-trick to seal things. One foot in the quarter finals, and we're getting good at this.

CSKA 3-0 Mordovia Saransk

A largely misleading scoreline, as we were pretty poor for the majority of this one. The first half was simply dire, but for 15 minutes at the start of the second we're back in Leverkusen form, both of our strikers finding the scoring touch to ensure Mordovia would leave without a point. Three is flattering, but the points on the board are the most important thing right now.

Bayer 04 Leverkusen 1-1 CSKA - Europa League Second Knockout Round Second Leg

With a four goal lead from the home leg, we could afford to rest some of our regulars for the return game. In the end it proved as immaterial as I'd hoped, the Germans unable to overturn the massive deficit or even win the game, Filimonov equalising on the hour mark to keep our unbeaten record alive in this year's competition. To the last eight, and Roma will be our opponents there, I dare say a far greater challenge than Bayer managed to be.

Dinamo Moscow 1-1 CSKA

If evenly-matched ever described a game of football, it's probably this one. Twelve shots each, four on target for each side, and possession split straight down the middle at 50/50. In the end we had to come from behind, but Ganiev's cute finish was just reward for our efforts, and we start a horrific run of domestic games with a point at our rivals. Not what we'd have asked for, but acceptable at this stage.

CSKA 1-1 Lokomotiv Moscow

Loko are still very much in the title hunt, so this could be massive with neither Anzhi or Zenit going away quietly either. At it happens, the referee demands to be the centre of attention, and manages to be so in some style. We're denied a win when Semenov's 33rd minute goal is wiped out two minutes from time, but what happens in the middle is shocking officiating - Loko collect five bookings, and we take eight, two of which go to Vincent and two to Kuznetsov, leaving us defending for our lives with nine men. The leveller inevitably comes, but we preserve a point even if the effects of those suspensions going forward come be huge.

CSKA 1-0 Roma - Europa League Quarter Final First Leg

We're at home first against the Italians, and unfortunately we're unable to blow them away in the same manner as previous rounds. That doesn't mean we aren't in control for large portions of the match however, and it's a five minute spell before the break that proves crucial. It winds up with Shnaider, finally back from injury, having a goal ruled out for offside, but from the resultant free kick we win back possession and set up Kuznetsov for the game winning goal. It's the narrowest of leads to take to Rome, but with no away goal we're in a good position.

April 2028

Amkar Perm 1-3 CSKA

Thankfully the game all our domestic suspensions would come into play for was the only one against a team outside the group of top sides all fighting for the title. Two goals from Shnaider inside 25 minutes put us on easy street for the rest of the game, a third in the second half followed by the usual late consolation enough to see us through what could have been a challenging game against a side fighting for their lives.

Roma 1-1 CSKA - Europa League Quarter Final Second Leg

I'd love to say that our usual trick of shutting the door in Europe worked to an absolute tee, that Roma were lucky to draw and that we cruised through to the final four. We didn't - Roma battered us for 90 minutes but only managed to score with ten left to play, by which time we'd taken the lead against the run of play through a solo Palacios effort. Still, we mustn't grumble when the fates fall our way, and the draw for the semis threw up a particularly interesting tie...

CSKA 1-1 Anzhi Makhachkala

With Anzhi as the team looking most likely to steal the title from us, this could have been a disaster. It was probably the biggest game of the season so far, and in the end we did well to take a point. I don't know whether it's our European exploits taking their toll, but we're struggling to impose ourselves on games at this stage in the season, and Kuznetsov's late rescue act just about kept us on top. More performances like this, and we won't be winning anything this year.

Krasnodar 0-2 CSKA

Krasnodar aren't doing particularly well this season, but at home they seem to have a hold over us and I was not looking forward to this one. Thankfully I needn't have worried, the two Kuznetsovs netting a goal apiece in a game we grabbed by the scruff of the neck, and it's a performance which gives us plenty of hope for the rest of the season, especially given our next game...

CSKA 2-0 Krasnodar - Europa League Semi Final First Leg

That's right, we meet again in the Europa League, with the visitors having beaten Lokomotiv in the previous round to get here - sure signs that Russian football is on the rise. We strike early on again to put ourselves in control, and as they chase the match in the second half, Volobuev is able to pounce on a misplaced pass and give us a two goal advantage heading down south. One foot in the final, and a chance to retain our trophy.

Rubin Kazan 2-2 CSKA

Rubin are another side I hate visiting for the simple reason that they always find a way of messing up our plans, and such is the case here. We battle back from a goal down to go two up courtesy of a dubious penalty, but with five minutes to go they net from a clearly offside position, my fury given the silent treatment by the FA as we squander the win. With Anzhi also dropping points it would have given us a huge advantage in the title race. As it is, it's still too close to call.

Krasnodar 3-3 CSKA - Europa League Semi Final Second Leg

With two goals in the bag, Filimonov's early goal should have been enough to put this tie comfortably to bed. It looks that way through to half time, but all of a sudden their top scorer bags a quickfire brace, and we rely on a goal from Shanider to make us safe. Their hitman completes a hat-trick as our defence fall to pieces, but Alexandrov rescues us in a rare appearance from the bench and we book our place in the final. We'll meet Lille, surprise conquerors of Manchester City, and by my reckoning we'll be slight favourites.

May 2028

CSKA 0-0 Terek Grozny

We finish with two home games, but neither are simple and we've got a European final to fit in as well. We start off against Terek tired from our European adventures, and while Anzhi are busy winning away from home we're fortunate not to be stumbling to defeat. Terek have the better of the 90 minutes but our defence is the one part of the team still vaguely alive, and we hold out to take a point. Anzhi leapfrog us on our head-to-head record, but if the season finishes that way there'll a title play-off to contend with.

CSKA 0-2 Lille Olympique Sporting Club - Europa League Final

Not many teams get the chance to defend this trophy, and by doing so we'd set ourselves aside as one of the biggest 'second tier' European teams. We're slight favourites in Seville, but much like the Terek game before we don't seem to be able to construct a decent attacking move. Lille punish us on the stroke of half time through their Welsh wonderkid, and as we press forward in the second period they manage to hit us on the break with five minutes to play. It's a disappointing result on such a massive occasion, but we were second best throughout and can have no complaints. Hopefully this is the last we'll see of this competition now.

CSKA 0-0 Zenit St Petersburg

We host Zenit, Anzhi go to Spartak, and unless one result beats the other we go to a play-off. We have more of the ball and more shots than the visitors, but they're able to hold firm until the break, when we hear news of an Anzhi goal across the city. We push forward in the second half, taking more risks than perhaps necessary, and when news of a Spartak leveller comes in we know that one goal will do it. We can't get it, and in a flash our season could be over, young Udaltsov pulling down their forward in the box with just seconds to play. 30,000 people hold their breath as Zenit's Argentine winger steps up, but he crumbles under the pressure and screws his shot wide of Petkovic's post. We're still alive in the most dramatic of fashions, and we'll play off against Anzhi for the title.

Anzhi Makhachkala 0-0p CSKA - Russian Premier League Champions Play-Off

I don't know what the schedulers are thinking here, booking the biggest game of the season at a time when both sides are depleted by international call-ups. With Anzhi having the superior head-to-head record we travel to Dagestan for the decider, and perhaps as expected it's a nervy game. The capacity crowd sees just 11 shots, none of Anzhi's six even hitting the target, and extra time almost seems inevitable. Nothing of any great interest occurs in the bonus half hour, and so the entire league season comes down to penalties. Backup goalkeeper Prokop proved the hero, saved the first two Anzhi attempts, and after Osvaldo, Shnaider and Popov had all converted, it was left to Ariel Rivera to win us the title. His shot was straight and true, and somehow we'd managed it. Champions again, and by the finest of margins.

russianpremierdivisionoi.png

1325794778-CSKA_Moscow_logo.jpg

Season Review 2027/2028

russianpremierdivisionoi.png

League: 1st

Cup: 6th Round defeat at Krasnodar

Champions League: 3rd in Group F

Europa League: Runners-up vs Lille

Highest Rating: Alexey Semenov - 7.48

Top Scorer: Vasily Kuznetsov - 27 goals

Most Assists: Alexey Semenov - 10 assists

Finances: £9.5m

Manager's Thoughts:

The best way to evaluate a season is to look back at the goals I set last year and see if we've met them. The most important thing was to retain the title, which we did - just. At the end of the season we stopped scoring almost completely, which came very closer to costing us, but to win in such dramatic fashion with a depleted squad was satisfying. We'll be looking to do the same thing next season, but in a much more comfortable manner. One thing that did please me was our unbeaten home record, but we did draw six of those 15 games. On the other hand, away from home we still need to improve, with eight wins not really good enough to open up a gap at the top. Almost every game we dropped points in this season was against a fellow top side - it's those games we need to start winning if we're to establish a dynasty.

Our Cup performance was disappointing, but then again I always did hate travelling to Krasnodar. What was slightly more encouraging was Europe - a win at home against Chelsea would have seen us through to the CL knockouts, and we showed our capabilities once again in the Europa, only a flat final display against Lille preventing us retaining the trophy. At home, we're as good as anyone on the continent, and with the co-efficient boost from the last three years - we're on the verge of the top 20 now - we have to target the knockout rounds of the Champions League as the next step. We've had some good times in the Europa, but at this stage we have to look at pushing on. With a good draw for the group stage, this will be a priority next year.

Financially it's been an expensive year for the club, some decent pay rises for some players and some hefty agents fees to stop them rising even higher. It's clear that prize money and sponsorships are keeping us afloat at the moment, but I'm not too concerned about this. If we're not getting into the CL group stage and picking up the £7m for that, and the same again inTV rights at the end of the competition, then we aren't winning the title and I've got bigger issues. Equally, as we keep winning, our sponsorship deals will hopefully increase and help us out even further. Finally, one reason for the higher spend this year has been on the improvement of our facilities. Training and youth facilities are both in the process of upgrading from their current 'good' status, and with exceptional junior coaching we're creating a great environment for our players to development at every stage of their career. The next step is to enlarge the stadium - 30,000 is proving insufficient most weeks, and if we're to maximise income it's the logical place to start.

With that in mind, the youngsters have done us proud this season. Quite often my matchday squad has been described as 'youthful' in the post-game comments, and some of our young talents have embedded themselves in the first team. Semenov was the star of the show, at one point in the running for the European Golden Boy award, while Belik and Udaltsov have establushed themselves as first choice in their positions. Kamil Ganiev has also made strides with 18 games (mostly as sub) under his belt, and is a legitimate option as third choice striker. The off-season will see a few changes - Vincent's departure the biggest move I'm planning - but on the whole I'm very happy with the current crop and how they're developing. If we can keep fresh talent coming on the conveyor belt, we'll be winning trophies for years to come.

Goals for next year:

Retain the title, and more convincingly this time!

Qualify for the CL knockout rounds

Push for a stadium expansion

July 2028

Remember how in my end of season review I was looking for a stadium expansion? Turns out CSKA-Peschanoye is maxed out at 30,000, so I made the next logical step and asked for a new stadium. To my surprise, I was greeted with this news! At first glance, 40,000 isn't a huge ground by any stretch, and is still some way short of the 68,000 that Zenit are able to pull in, but it's basically a 33% increase on what we have now, isn't going to cost the club a fortune, and can presumably be expanded at a later date. Very happy with this.

CSKA 3-0 Mordovia Saransk - Russian Super Cup

That's right, Mordovia won the Cup last year. Not Anzhi, not Zenit, not even Spartak or Lokomotiv, but Mordovia. That simple fact makes me all the more irritated by the manner of our own failure, but it's a new season and a great chance for a confidence-boosting trophy win. We've brought back Filatov from Anzhi and added a young right-back and Croat goalkeeper for the future, while both Volobuev and Vincent have left on loan with purchase options - it's a gamble, but my faith is in the youth. We'll face bigger tests throughout the year, but the kids pay me back here, teenage striker Sinyagovskiy getting the third in a comprehensive victory to get the fans excited for the big kick-off.

Terek Grozny 1-4 CSKA

Terek away is a tough one to open the season with, but at the final whistle I remember why last year's title race was so close - multiple injuries to Vladislav Shnaider. Despite being rated at just 3* PA, he's a class above here, running in a first half hat-trick before Terek can get a reply in. When they do they aren't able to capitalise, and we add a little more icing to the cake with a league first for young Sinyagovskiy at the death. A great start, and highly encouraging.

CSKA 2-0 Volga Nizhny Novgorod

A side that aren't what they used to be, Volga are now a team we should be beating at home. We do so quite easily in the end, Sergey Kuznetsov capitalising on Semenov's injury with an early goal before that man Shnaider adds a second after the interval. We're barely out of second gear and have no reason to be - this is as simple as they come.

Krylya Sovetov Samara 1-1 CSKA

As ever, pride comes before a fall. We're expecting to cruise this one and perhaps I'm a little too complacent with my team selection, one youngster too many costing us the win. We look good for it after taking the lead midway through the first half, but the second period sees us pinned back for long stretches of play, and the equaliser is well deserved. Hopefully we learn from this - it can't happen too often.

russianpremierdivisionod.png

August 2028

Salyut Belgorod 0-4 CSKA

Salyut made it back up and have had a decentish start to the new season, but it turns out they have one glaring weakness - set pieces. Within 20 minutes Osvaldo is able to get free and score two of them, one an unmarked header and the second a scrambled half-volley, and centre back partner Pozdnyakov gets his own in the second half. A win wouldn't be complete without a Shnaider goal, and he obliges late on to banish memories of Samara.

CSKA 1-0 Rotor Volgograd

Another newly-promoted team, and one we should really be beating more comfortably than this. Rotor set their stall out clearly but efficiently, playing for the point and threatening at times, and it's only in the 85th minute that we're able to break them down and find a way through via Kuznetsov. The single goal is enough, but the performance isn't if we're to win the title, and I let the team know it.

CSKA 3-1 Mordovia Saransk

We brushed Mordovia aside in the Super Cup, and should do the same here, but in the first 45 we're up against a much more resolute team, the visitors defending well and even venturing forward to take the lead against the run of play. Sergey Kuznetsov responds on the stroke of half time to take us in level, and within seven minutes of the second period our other man by that name is celebrating the third, just two minutes after Sinyagovskiy's go-ahead goal. It's a blistering ten minute spell, and from then on we can cruise home. I'd rather we kept it up for 90, but if it gets the job done...

Amkar Perm 0-10 CSKA

That's not a typo, we really did score ten! Amkar are poor and sit at the foot of the table, but nobody expected this. Despite their best attempts to kick us off the pitch - when Pozdnyakov went off injured I made three changes due Popov's and Filimonov's knocks - everything we touched seemed to turn to goals, and we went in at the break 5-0 up. I decided to risk upsetting the apple cart by encouraging them not to get complacent, and instead of throwing their toys out the pram my men listened. Shnaider got his hat-trick first, and with all three subs used I couldn't give the young pretenders a run-out, the wannabe stars simply sitting in awe as first Shanider and then Kuznetsov reached four goals for the game. The latter scored a perfect 10 (my first ever on FM13), we hit double figures, and all sorts of records were broken - biggest Premier League and CSKA win, as well as highest scoring game for both. The perfect end to a perfect month, and with Zenit losing to Krasnodar we move to the top of the tree.

That was a tight finish in the league last season even if the game screwed up with the play-off date at least you won it :lol:

Good luck with the ECL this year hopefully you can go one better. And awesome news about the stadium, I would think it would be expandable beyond the 40,000 too.

Thanks guys, it's been a good start after a nerve-wracking end to last season, I'm hoping this time it won't be quite as tense!

After a few days away I realised I'd got a little bit carried away with this and managed to get to the new year without updating. Rather than go back and pretend to give you details on matches I've forgotten, here's the current state of play as we return from the Christmas period:

As you can see, we're doing alright. Annoyingly our only two defeats have come in silly fixtures - away at Volga and at home to newly-promoted Sibir, whilst against most of our title rivals we've picked up draws (Spartak, Anzhi, Zenit) or wins (Krasnodar, Lokomotiv, Terek).

We've moved in the quarters of the Cup a 7-1 win in Sakhalin and shoot-out victory at Krylya Sovetov, but in Europe we came up short in a group of PSG, Inter and HSV. Our usual solid home form deserted us, and while we were unbeaten in Moscow we only managed a win in our final game against PSG. Away from home we got a deserved nothing, which means we wind up bottom of the group and out of Europe altogether. It's disappointing, and it could have some pretty dire financial consequences with the new stadium being paid for...

March 2029

CSKA 4-1 Amkar Perm

Back to business after the long winter break, and against an Amkar side who will be dreading this after we hit double figures at their place. They aren't quite as bad this time, but nevertheless we're in cruise control from the moment Ganiev puts us ahead in the 7th minute, and whilst they pull one back when three down, the visitors are never in the game. We hit the ground running after the time off, and with no European football to distract us, we're in a good position at the top of the table.

Mordovia Saransk 2-2 CSKA

This brought us back down to earth with something of a bump, dropping two of the points we gained on your rivals last time out. An early run from Sergey Kuznetsov gives us a flying start, but the Saransk outfit are having a very good year and showed us exactly why, battling back to first equalise and then take the lead. In the end we rely on a defensive catastrophe as a header to the keeper falls short, and Shnaider accepts the gift to give us a point we barely deserve.

Dinamo Moscow 1-3 CSKA

When you're able to score three goals in five minutes, you're always going to stand a chance. When you score those goals either side of half time, throwing opposition plans into disarray, your chances improve dramatically. That's what we manage here, young Belik's deflected strike setting up a flash flood in the Dinamo net, and the home side's late consolation is nothing more. A good win after our poor display last weekend.

CSKA 1-0 Rubin Kazan

Rubin are always a tough side to play against, and even when they're having a terrible season they're not a team to roll over. We're confident of winning though, and even more so when leading scorer Kuznetsov drives us ahead inside the first five minutes, but try as we might we're unable to get in behind a stubborn Rubin defence for a second. For their part however, the Kazan side offer not a single shot, and the 1-0 win is comfortable enough for us to keep our place at the top.

russianpremierdivisionoe.png

April 2029

CSKA 7-0 Sibir Novosibirsk - Russian Cup Quarter Final

Sibir did a number on us in the league, handing us our first domestic defeat of the season, so we're looking to punish them here as we seek to win the Cup for the first time in three years. However, we mustn't forget the bigger objective of the league, and so there are plenty of changes to the side. With just a handful of regulars in the side we still absolutely destroy the Siberian side, Popov helping himself to four from the left wing. We're five to the good before the break, and with young centre back Gruzdev getting himself on the board late one, we settle for seven and a message to the top flight minnows - nobody beats CSKA and gets away with it.

Lokomotiv Moscow 2-0 CSKA

Maybe they do. Well, they do if the officials want them to - in between Loko's two strikes, Shnaider has not one but two goals ruled out for offside (one correctly, one clearly legitimate), and we're every bit the equal of our city rivals. Loko are having a poor year so this won't change anything for them, but what it does do is keep us honest at the top with Anzhi and a resurgent Zenit right on our tails. Speaking of which...

CSKA 5-0 Zenit St Petersburg

Get in! Zenit lost their last game at Spartak, but before that had embarked on a 16-game unbeaten run to stay in touch. I'm not sure what the verb is for what we did to them today, but it's not a pleasant one - 2-0 and comfortable at the break turns into 5-0 and a thrashing by the time 90 minutes are on the clock, five different goalscorers and every one of them Russian, making a mockery of Zenit's multi-national line-up. It's emphatic, it's beautiful, and at this stage it makes us massive favourites for the title.

Sibir Novosibirsk 0-3 CSKA

These guys won't be too keen to see us so soon after getting hit for seven, and again they fail to put up too much of a fight as we win this one with the minimum of fuss. Shnaider gets us up and running with a goal in the first ten before adding another before the break, and it's a late cameo from Mardas on the right who adds the exclamation mark with a thumping drive to take us to within a win of our third title in a row.

CSKA 3-0 Mordovia Saransk - Russian Cup Semi Final

For my first two years in Moscow, this was our trophy, and after a couple of poor years we want it back. We home advantage against the defending champions we can afford to rest one or two for the crunch game round the corner in the league, and it makes absolutely no difference as we show our quality. It's three of the youngsters - Sinyagovskiy, Mardas and Gruzdev - who get the goals, Mordovia put just two on target, and we go to the final and a meeting with Anzhi, who prevail against Zenit after extra time in the other game.

CSKA 0-0 Anzhi Makhachkala

Zenit's failure to win at Volga in the earlier game makes this one simple - a single point, and we're champions again. We're back at full strength but it's a nervy affair, a drab first half notable for little other than the lack of goalmouth action. We try to up the ante in the second period but Anzhi are a solid outfit, but whilst last season they had a penalty shoot-out to try and take the title from us, today there is no such opportunity. We're closer to opening the scoring, but our failure to do so is irrelevant. What matters is that Anzhi don't do it either, and when the final whistle blows the untroubled scoresheet means only one thing - for the third season running, CSKA Moscow are champions of Russia.

russianpremierdivisionoh.png

May 2029

Spartak Moscow 1-1 CSKA

With the title in the bag, I risk the wrath of the fans by throwing in a few of the youngsters away at our biggest rivals. Thankfully they hold their own, giving Spartak as good as they get, and whilst it takes Kuznetsov to come off the bench and grab the all-important equaliser late on, the draw is a fair one against a full-strength Spartak XI. Promising signs for next season.

CSKA 1-0 Krasnodar

More of the same with the Cup final round the corner, and we wrap up the league campaign at one of those pesky clubs who never go away. This time we go one better, sealing the win via a set piece midway through the first half, and whilst Krasnodar have plenty of chances they aren't able to get past our resolute defence. League sorted, now for the double.

CSKA 2-1 Anzhi Makhachkala - Russian Cup Final

It's been a while since we've been here, but it feels like home and that's always a good feeling. It's a frantic start to the game as well, Kuznetsov booked inside 60 seconds for a dive, Anzhi opening the scoring five minutes later and Shnaider restoring parity before the crowd have time to take it what's happened. From then on they're treated to an even game between the top two teams in the country, and it ebbs and flows with my men in charge of possession and Anzhi looking dangerous. We look to be going to a draw yet again, but in the 89th minute a break finds Capuano in acres on the right, his cross is good and Kuznetsov volleys high into the net to seal the trophy. Perfect.

Thanks elbilly, it was satisfying to get the Cup back after a couple of poor years! Really enjoying life at CSKA, hopefully next year will be the one we finally make progress in the Champions League...

Season Review 2028/2029

Cup: Winners (2-1 vs Anzhi Makhachkala)

Champions League: 4th in Group B

Highest Rating: Sergey Pozdnyakov - 7.63

Top Scorer: Vasily Kuznetsov - 22 goals

Most Assists: Kamil Ganiev - 9 assists

Finances: -£7.5m

Manager's Thoughts:

Domestic domination restored, and thankfully a little more convincingly than last year. In the league we were comfortable - two of our three defeats were silly and the one at Lokomotiv was farcical, and the majority of our other dropped points were in games against our top six rivals, preventing them gaining too many points at our expense. That there are a good handful of sides competing for the European places means the rest of the division is more even, and we took full advantage.

That isn't to say that we're simply the best of an average bunch (although a miserable European campaign would suggest as much). We managed to net 71 times, the most league goals since at least 2012/13, and conceded just 17, a figure only beaten once by an Anzhi side who couldn't take advantage at the other end and so finished runners-up. Even without Shnaider at his best - injuries may have cut short his heyday - our midfield and youthful strike pretenders in Ganiev and Sinyagovskiy made sure we never lacked the firepower to see us home. Hitting double figures at Amkar didn't hurt the statistics either, and we kept it up in the cup, hitting 21 goals to break the competition record on the way to sealing the trophy.

On the balance sheet, it looks bad - no European football in the new year hurting the bottom line. Financing the new stadium added to the problem (so news of a delay hardly lifted the mood), so for a while it looked as if our transfer market ambitions, limited though they have been, would take a hit while we recovered. However, since the above screenshots we received some excellent financial news which has lifted our balance to around the £22m mark, so I'll have cash to spend should I desire. What I'm more keen to do is continue the club's growth towards a sustainable model. and in line with that the board have agreed to upgrade the already 'top' training and youth facilities at a combined cost of around £6m. Money well spent in my mind.

The money is well spent partly because it provides a platform for young players to develop as they enter the youth squad, but also because they benefit those already at the club. This squad screen shows the u21 players at the club who aren't yet first-team regulars - not counting the likes of Udaltsov (21), Belik (20), Ganiev (20), Sinyagovskiy (19) and Titov (18) - so as you can see there is plenty of talent lying in the youth ranks just ready to be unleashed. With any luck Vincent and Volobuev will depart permanently as their loans come to an end, Prokop will head to Sibir on a Bosman and Rivera is retiring, so there'll be one or two gaps on the fringes opening up. In addition, I'm still in two minds as to whether or not to move on Pozdnyakov or Osvaldo and/or one of my two main strikers as to prevent their value falling too much with age, so if I decide the risk the fans' anger there could well be more opportunities on the horizon. As far as possible I want CSKA to form the backbone of the Russian national side for years to come - with a 75% domestic bias, average age of just 21 and over 20 players in the various national squads, we're well on our way, and better facilities can only help as we seek to dominate Russia and eventually Europe.

Goals for next year:

Retain both our domestic titles

Stay in Europe beyond December

Keep giving first team opportunities to youth players.

Thanks for all the support guys, with the exception of Europe it was a great year. Hopefully more to come this season!

July/August 2029

Before the big kick-off, the transfer news, and the big mover this year has been Biagio Capuano. I picked him up on a free as one of my first signings, and after a series of good performances he got a bit too big for his boots. First my confidence that he wouldn't get an Italy cap meant his wage jumped from £16k to £33k, and when his contract came up for renewal he wanted double that again. With Shnaider and Kuznetsov my highest earners on £51k, I was never going to pay that, so when Benfica offered £30m spread over four years he was gone. A good servant, but also an excellent profit. Also leaving for good was Volobuev for £4m to Krasnodar, while Popov and Vincent left on loan-to-buy deals (couldn't find a buyer), Prokop went on a Bosman and Rivera retired. We also lost Kaigorodov on a tribunal to Krasnodar, which is really irritating, and although it'll cost me a lot, I intend to buy him back at some point. No new players arrived over the summer.

Anzhi Makhachkala aet 2-1 CSKA - Russian Super Cup

A slightly disappointing way to start the season, but ultimately this is a glorified friendly and we treated it as such. Anzhi scored early, Sinyagovskiy equalised at the start of a second half we dominated, but neither side could make the breakthrough and we headed to extra time. Unfortunately it was us who slipped up, allowing Anzhi to take early bragging rights and start their season with a trophy.

Krylya Sovetov Samara 0-2 CSKA

We start the season down south at a Samara side who often pose us problems, so Shnaider's 20th minute strike gives us a nice confidence boost for the rest of the game. The Wings lost thier star striker over the summer and are a little impotent as a result, but we take our time killing the game off and only insure ourselves when a late corner is headed in by Pozdnyakov. 2-0, and a solid yet unspectacular start.

CSKA 3-1 Rotor Volgograd

The fixture list gives us a couple of nice ones to start off, and we're expected to breeze by a Rotor side who only survived last season thanks to some sensational end of year form. At home we labour through the first half before Shanider hits two in as many minutes to keep up his own good start to the year, and although the visitors get a scrappy consolation late on, we've already added a third by then to put the game well out of their reach.

Lokomotiv Moscow 2-0 CSKA

We just can't perform at Loko, and I'm not sure why. It's our strongest XI, they aren't expected to be in the top two or three this season, yet their attacking unit carves through us on a number of occasions without ever allowing ourselves to get forward and threaten. 2-0 is probably a fair result, and we need to figure out how to beat this lot if we're ever to truly dominate in Russia.

CSKA 4-1 SKA-Energia Khabarovsk

It's a while since we came across SKA, the club from the Pacific Coast returning to the top flight after a few years in the wilderness. They're weak as a result, and this should be one of the easier games we play this year, a surprise equaliser ruling out Ganieb's strike before we cut loose in the second half, three goals in a 20 minute spell ensuring the Khabarovsk outfit make the long journey home with nothing for their efforts.

CSKA 5-3 Volga Nizhny Novgorod

We're normally pretty unstoppable at home, the odd draw excluded, but our first half performance against Volga is a defensive nightmare. Twice we allow them to take the lead through carelessness at the back, and we're fortunate to have two strikers on form, Shnaider getting one and Kuznetsov two to hand us a thoroughly undeserved advantage at the break. We miss an early penalty in the second period before doing the damage from set pieces, another goal conceded late on to make it 5-3, a spectacle for the neutrals but a nightmare for the managers.

Zenit St Petersburg 1-0 CSKA

Zenit have yet another new manager for this campaign, and he's got them playing some good stuff in the early stages of the season. This one is a tense affair with neither side particularly keen on losing, and for 85 minutes it looks for all the world as if we're happy to settle for the 0-0. One corner later however and we're staring at a disappointing defeat to our rivals, our second of the season already with just six games played. There's some consolation in that we'll play them at home at the business end of the season, but right now that counts for little.

After the Zenit game we learnt our Champions League fate, and I was delighted to see that our European exploits had taken us to the second pot of seeds for the group stage. However, the footballing gods seem somewhat against us as, after being paired with Bayern Munich, we then picked out AC Milan, the highest-ranked third seeds in the competition. Hungary's Videoton are our other opponents, and we desperately need some strong home performances if we're to have any home of qualifying for the knockout rounds.

Thanks delta, we can't seem to catch a break in the CL but when we do it'll make it even sweeter! I think you've got it right as well Dexter, tough times at the start but I've grown into it, and now I've found success with CSKA it's enough of a challenge to keep that going.

September 2029

Anzhi Makhachkala 0-0 CSKA

The big games keep on coming in the league, and once again we're away first against Anzhi. Of course, it doesn't matter in the long run - we almost always draw against Anzhi, neither team willing to commit too much and risk a mistake, and so it's the case here as we grind out a tough goalless draw in the Dagestani heat. A win would've been perfect, but this is a decent draw.

Ural Yekaterinburg 1-3 CSKA - Russian Cup 5th Round

Ural have taken a bit of a tumble since their promotion-challenging days, and now find themselves down in the regional leagues. We field a very young team indeed, and are rewarded by Ganiev and Sinyagovskiy sharing three goals between them in the first 45. The second half is a non-event bar a consolation for the hosts, and we clear the first hurdle with ease.

CSKA 0-0 Videoton Fehervar - Champions League Group B, Game 1/6

On paper, this is by far the easiest game of a very tricky CL group, with Milan and Bayern bound to cause us problems. On the pitch we look impressive too, the Hungarian side obviously not in the same class as our talented young Russians - our starting line-up generally only contains a couple of foreigners these days - but today is one of those days. The ball won't go in, we hit the woodwork four times, their goalkeeper wins MotM, and we're forced to accept a point. Most irritating.

CSKA 1-1 Terek Grozny

We're not in the best form in the league at the moment, and I'm half tempted to put out the side that dealt with Ural in the Cup. Instead I stick with the regulars, and am rewarded with a dominant first half performance wrapped up by a Shnaider goal at the death. Unfortunately we can't get the goal we need to kill the visitors off, and in typical FM their only shot of the game deflects past Petkovic in the dying seconds to cost us two more points. These could be costly at season's end, and we need to get our act together quickly.

Zenit St Petersburg 3-2 CSKA - Russian Cup 6th Round

The double dream is dead. Being drawn away at Zenit was always going to be a tough ask, but we give it a good go against one of our biggest rivals. We're always chasing the game though after conceding in the 11th minute, and although we battle back twice to tie the game with 20 minutes to play, a set piece five minutes from time leaves us with too much to do and we bow out in honourable fashion. It's scant consolation, but at least the board are understanding.

Shinnik Yaroslavl 0-1 CSKA

We wrap up a fairly poor month with a trip to newly-promoted Shinnik, who probably fancy their chances given our current form. They're our equals for the first hour or so, but a more attacking slant in the last third of the game results in a winner from Kuznetsov, and pleasingly we're able to close things out relatively comfortably. Work to do, but we're back to winning ways.

October 2029

CSKA 0-0 Dinamo Moscow

Since getting promoted back into the top flight, Dinamo have stabilised well and are now more likely to be battling for Europe than against the drop. They're still not quite on our level going forward, but they are able to frustrate the best teams, and that's exactly what they do to us here, locking the game down at the back and leaving us frustrated with our own profligacy. A decent enough performance, but we need to finish.

Bayern Munchen 0-0 CSKA - Champions League Group B, Game 2/6

Bayern are the big guns of the group, and after our away form last year would probably have been expecting to roll us over in their own back yard. On the one hand they're right to think so, as we barely get out of our own half for the 90 minutes, but on the other we prove them wrong, a monumental defensive effort keeping the scoresheet blank and picking us up a very handy point.

Spartak Moscow 2-2 CSKA

Another big name in the league, another away game. We'd better be able to convert these home ties in the second half of the year. We give Spartak a good game for 45 minutes, but then crumble as their star striker nets twice in five minutes to leave us staring down the barrel. A Kuznetsov strike on the hour gives us hope, and as we continue to pour forward we finally strike, Semenov finding space in the 94th minute to snatch a point from nothing. A massive goal, and one which could change our season.

CSKA 8-0 Yenisey Krasnoyarsk

It's the moment we've all been waiting for, the long-awaited opening of Giner Stadium, and what a show we manage to put on for the fans. Yenisey are new to the top flight and unfortunate cannon fodder as we run riot, netting six times in the first half. We add two more against a helpless defence in the second half - Shanider finishing his hat-trick while SInyagovskiy grabs a brace - and if we can perform anything like this for the rest of the season then Russia needs to watch out. Superb.

CSKA 3-1 Milan - Champions League Group B, Game 3/6

In many ways, Yenisey was just the warm-up for the real opening of the new stadium, a star-studded Milan side arriving intent on proving their third seed status to be wrong. My men have other ideas, and from the moment Pozdnyakov heads us ahead in the 16th minute we have control. We grab a second before a spectacular free kick gives them hope, but three minutes from time it's that man Shnaider who wraps up the win and gives us a huge three points as we look to join Europe's elite in the knockout rounds.

CSKA 2-0 Mordovia Saransk

It's a long time in coming, a very long time indeed, but in the 70th minute we make a breakthrough with a difference - Shnaider's 125th league goal for CSKA breaking a record that has stood since the 1940s. The crowd at the new ground go wild, and ten minutes later we secure the win with our second, finishing a strong month to compensate for a poor September.

November 2029

Salyut Belgorod 1-2 CSKA

I think that of all the players I've managed on FM13, Vladislav Shnaider is my favourite. In fact, with the exception of one or two from a 20-year Arsenal save I had back on FM10, he may be my favourite ever. That's quite an accolade - I've sunk a lot of time into FM over the years - and it's his brace here which sees us past Salyut, one coming from the spot before the hosts hit back late on.

Krasnodar 1-4 CSKA

Krasnodar are having a poor season by their own ever-increasing standards, but this is as satisfying a win as they come. We look to be going in behind at the break thanks to their Czech talisman's strike, but on 43 minutes we're bailed out by Kuznetsov. Two minutes late we head in in front thanks to the same man, and three minutes after the interval Kiselev adds a third. Before the hour an own goal makes it four, and a shell-shocked home team just can't get back at us. Brilliant and efficient, a great combination.

Milan 1-1 CSKA - Champions League Group B, Game 4/6

Remember that Bayern game when we barely made it out of our half and yet got a result? Well, if you change the kits and put it on repeat, that's what you get for our trip to the San Siro. We actually lead for 25 minutes or so, Gruzdev making the most of a set-piece half an hour in, but the hosts' equaliser is deserved and they really should punish us further. The bottom line is that they don't, and with two to play we're in a decent position to qualify.

CSKA 1-0 Krylya Sovetov Samara

We're a little bit of a European hangover as we welcome to Wings to Moscow, but thankfully Mardas didn't travel to Milan and is able to make the difference, cutting in off his right wing in a rare start and lashing one past the visiting keeper to give us the points. Playing badly and winning - they say it's the mark of champions, but I'd much rather be seeing these games off convincingly.

Videoton Fehervar 0-2 CSKA - Champions League Group B, Game 5/6

Having been frustrated by the Hungarians at home, we need a win in the return fixture to keep our noses ahead of Milan and Bayern in the qualification race. There's a sigh of relief when the first goal takes less than ten minutes to come, and when Sinyagovskiy doubles the advantage shortly after kick-off for the second half, we can breathe easy. We're still not through, and will need a point against Bayern to guarantee progression, but we've done everything we can now.

Rotor Volgograd 1-4 CSKA

I've something of a soft spot for Rotor, but at the moment they're a team that need beating comfortably, and that's exactly what we do on our trip down south. Two goals in two minutes after a quarter of an hour all but kill off the game, and after a couple of forced changes at the break we soon add a third. The hosts do pull one back, but are then reduced to ten men, and Gruzdev is on hand to nod in a corner and restore the three goal lead. We look to be building something resembling momentum now, and that can only be a good thing.

CSKA 1-1 Lokomotiv Moscow

It's time for the games against our rivals to start coming at home now, but any hopes we have of taking advantage of that look to evaporate when Loko are given a penalty after just five minutes. Shnaider rallies the troops and gets the equaliser not long after, but for the rest of the game our attack struggles against their defence and we're unable to capitalise on our momentum. A point keeps us top, but I'd be happier if we were converting this kind of performance.

russianpremierdivisionoy.png

December 2029

SKA-Energia Khabarovsk 1-1 CSKA

This isn't in the script. SKA are making a good fist of their survival attempts, but they shouldn't be taking the lead against us, irrespective of a couple of first teamers riding the bench with the CL to come in midweek. We're able to get back on terms, but as against Loko we go no further, even the injection of the big guns in the second half failing the break the deadlock. Not what we need with Bayern to come, even less so with a title to defend.

CSKA 1-0 Bayern Munchen - Champions League Group B, Game 6/6

This is it then - a point here and we're through, lose and we're out if Milan beat Videoton as expected. What Bayern were probably not expecting was a home win, but that's what we treat the capacity crowd to, Osvaldo's 8th minute toe poke finishing a goalmouth scramble and proving enough for all three points. The game isn't a classic, but I'm more than happy with the result, and we go through as group winners. For once the draw is kind - with Barcelona and Real Madrid progressing as runners-up I feared the worst, but we'll play Porto in the new year, a tie I can't help but see as winnable.

CSKA 1-1 Zenit St Petersburg

We're tired, Zenit aren't, and it shows as they nullify our home advantage fairly comfortably. Shnaider get his almost mandatory goal to give us an early lead, but Zenit don't panic and are rewarded with a leveller on the stroke of half time. They look the more likely to score in the second half but we manage to keep them at bay, and for the third time in a row we finish a league game 1-1. Worryingly two of them have been at home and the other was at one of the worst sides in the league - improvement needed if we're to stay on top.

February/March 2030

Before we resume the season, we had a transfer window to deal with, and there's some big news. After 132 appearances and 69 goals in the league, it was time for Vasily Kuznetsov to move on. It wasn't that he wasn't performing - whenever Shnaider got injured he stepped up his goal frequency, and had been a reliable servant - but with both our forwards contracts up at the end of next season it was time to think about extensions. Shnaider happily moved from £51k to £50k plus a few bonuses, while Kuznetsov's agent wanted a ridiculous £115k per week for his man. With Ganiev and Sinyagovskiy establishing themselves as first team options and young Sergey Lunin captured from Rubin showing promise, I felt the time was right to get rid. In the end got just £12m from Galatasaray, effectively recouping what we paid for him but disappointing for a player valued at £11.5m, and some disappointed reactions from the fans, but I feel it was the right move for the club. Time will tell whether or not I was right.

Porto 2-1 CSKA - Champions League First Knockout Round First Leg

On the face of things, this game in Portugal was even - seven shots each, five on target for us to their four. A closer look at the stats, however, show the home team with a massive 62% possession and a foul count half of our own - in other words, a fairly one-sided encounter. Thankfully we didn't let that show on the scoreboard, Shnaider actually giving us the lead after half an hour before Porto's equaliser on half time. The deciding goal came via a cruel deflection with ten minutes on the clock, but with an away goal in the bag an impressive home record, we're still very much in this tie.

CSKA 1-0 Volga Nizhny Novgorod

Had you told me at the start of the season that Volga would be 2nd at the turn of the year, I'd have laughed. However, they've put in a great 20 games so far, and deserve their lofty position. Coming to Moscow they don't offer a great deal in the way of attacking threat, but at the back they're solid and compact, and once again we find ourselves relying on a dead ball to break their resolve, young Argentine Humberto Diaz crashing home to seal the win. It's tough, but we deserved it.

CSKA 0-3 Anzhi Makhachkala

Argh! I'm not quite sure happened here, but it had better not happen again. We're miserable in almost every respect, racking up a huge foul count whilst barely putting a shot on target, and the visitors' 2-0 half time lead is little more than they deserve. They're running wild as we fail to get anywhere near them, and the third goal at the death is far from flattering as we look decidedly second-rate against our closest challengers for the title. Given our position of having rival matches at home for the second half of the year, we've categorically failed to take advantage of them so far, and need to improve if we aren't to let our trophy slip into Dagestani hands.

CSKA 5-2 Porto - Champions League First Knockout Round Second Leg

With an away goal comes hope, but also a fine line to walk - concede early and your advantage is gone. That's precisely what we manage to do here, the visitors' 20th minute opener silencing the Moscow crowd and evoking memories of our last game. Over the years however, we've shown ourselves to be able to bounce back strongly, and less than ten minutes pass before we force an own goal and a way back into the tie. Sinyagovskiy then fires in form the edge of the box, and we're back to square one. That is, of course, until Palacios strikes on 43 minutes and Shnaider follows suit before the break, giving us a remarkable lead on a night and a two goal aggregate advantage. Porto chase and chase and do get a second, but by that time Shnaider has his brace and we're cruising through to the quarters, where Arsenal lie in wait.

Dinamo Moscow 0-2 CSKA

Back to the league, and a trip to a Dinamo side that we've struggled to break down in the past. After the catastrophe that was Anzhi at home, we need to win. Goalless at half time and feeling a little bit anxious, I decided to stick with what was already on the field rather than try and force a change, and just after the hour we were rewarded with the opening goal. Ten minutes later an in-form Shnaider made it two, and that was how it stayed until the end.

Terek Grozny 0-0 CSKA

Another away game, this time down in Chechnya, and with Anzhi matching our every result we were all too aware of the consequences of failure here. Alas, they were realised, the hosts grinding out a dull 0-0 to stop us in our tracks, and their neighbours in Makhachkala took full advantage to leapfrog us into top spot. Now more than ever we need our frontmen to start firing, but with Kuznetsov in Turkey, Sinyagovksiy out injured and Ganiev enduring a goal drought, Shnaider will have to share the burden with young Sergey Lunin, who is yet to debut for the club. Could my January sale come back to haunt us?

April/May 2030

CSKA 2-1 Arsenal - Champions League Quarter Final First Leg

In many ways, we're not supposed to be here. We're the club that this year has upset the apple cart, beating Milan, Bayern and Porto to get to the elite eight of Europe. In other ways, we're entirely deserving - next year we'll move into the top 12 European clubs according to the co-efficient, above Liverpool, Lyon and even Barcelona. That progress is demonstrated here, as an even game tips our way half an hour in with the opening goal. Unfortunately that galvanises the Gunners, and an equaliser midway through the second half is fair for both sides. We're not done though, and are able to take the slenderest of leads to London after Lunin's sumptuous backheel sets up Shnaider for the second. It's a great win, but the job isn't done just yet.

CSKA 3-1 Shinnik Yaroslavl

Between the Arsenal games we have the bread and butter of the league, and know that we have to get a winning streak together to put pressure on Anzhi ahead of us. Shinnik are looking likely to head back down to D1, and when Shnaider puts us ahead after just four minutes the game is effectively over. He gets a second later on after Alexandrov doubles the lead, and whilst a consolation with their only shot on target is frustrating, there's little cause for concern with this performance.

Arsenal aet 3-1 CSKA - Champions League Quarter Final Second Leg

With the Londoners having an away goal to their name, the one thing we didn't want to do was concede early and give them the advantage. We survive an early spell of pressure, even venturing forward ourselves on occasion, but we're unable to last til the break, their star striker heading in to put them ahead on away goals. Then, 15 minutes after the interval, a glimpse of glory as a poor goal kick is gobbled up by the opportunistic Shnaider, who races clear and scores to put us back ahead. However, that just asks for more Arsenal attacks, and a drilled cross cannons in off Semenov's legs to square the tie. They pile forward for another 20 minutes, but there's nothing to be done and extra time calls.

With another half hour away from home we're always up against it, and the only thing we can do is to try and lock the game down and snatch a goal on the break or take it to penalties. We're doing alright, defending deeply and looking to release the wingers, but in the 112th minute the hosts recycle the ball well and take the lead. We're forced to throw caution to the wind, knowing that a single goal will be enough, but it doesn't come and we bow at the quarter final stage, a brave effort that will do wonders for the club's reputation and bank balance.

CSKA 1-0 Spartak Moscow

The one thing we can't afford to do, now that we're out of Europe, is slip up in the league. We've got tired bodies after our midweek excursions, but with Spartak at home there can be nothing less than maximum effort. Thankfully we get it, and a stroke of fortune grants us a red card to our rivals and the chance to ease off slightly in the dying moments. We're able to do so and survive, hanging on to captain Shnaider's 33rd minute strike and hanging on to Anzhi at the top of the table.

Yenisei Krasnoyarsk 0-3 CSKA

Fully rested and ready to go, we travel to Krasnoyarsk confident in the knowledge that we smashed eight past them last time we met. For the hosts, survival looks quite likely and they're almost playing out the season at this stage, so it's the ideal opportunity to pick up a win. This time we take it, three first half goals ensuring that the second is something of a non-event, and with Anzhi only managing a draw we draw level on points, behind the Dagestanis only by virtue of games won. Could we be looking at another title play-off?

CSKA 3-0 Salyut Belgorod

No, we couldn't. At least, not if Anzhi keep going as they are - defeat in the Cup semis to Terek followed by defeat in the league, and it's all in our hands as we welcome Salyut to Moscow. As against Yenisei, this one is over before it gets going, young Sergey Lunin adding to some impressive play in his first games for the club with a rapid-fire brace before Shnaider keeps up his remarkable form with the third just 22 minutes in. We could add more, but it doesn't matter, and with just two games to go we're three points clear and in a position of great strength.

CSKA 5-1 Krasnodar

Did I mention how much I loved Vladislav Shnaider? Yes? Well, it's too true for me not to mention again, so I'm not apologising. With Anzhi losing at home to Dinamo in an earlier kick-off, we host Krasnodar knowing that a single point will be enough to clinch our fourth title in a row ahead of the southern club. The only problem is that we face Krasnodar, something of a bogey team for us, and one coming on the back of three straight wins. Shnaider, however, cares not for history. He doesn't care about pressure or expectations either, or the lack of goals coming from elsewhere in the team, he simply makes up for it. After 45 minutes at Giner Stadium, the capacity crowd is in party mood, Shnaider having ended the title debate by rattling in four goals, the last three coming in a ten minute burst, to kill the game. A brief Krasnodar comeback is then ended by teenage playmaker Stepan Nikulin, and at the final whistle the celebrations begin. Champions, again!

Mordovia Saransk 0-3 CSKA

With everything done and dusted for both teams, all that was left for the season is for Shnaider to break the club's single season goalscoring record in the league, and for Ganiev to snap out of his eleven hour goal drought. Both are achieved - Shnaider brace taking him to 29 league goals in 25(4) appearances, and Ganiev's volley providing late insurance - and as a cherry on the cake Anzhi lose yet again to wind up nine points off the pace. They may have collapsed, but after our home defeat at their hands we dropped just two league points to storm back, scoring 20 goals and conceding just two in our final eight games. With results like that, it's hard to argue against the fact that we're worthy champions.

russianpremierdivisionov.png

Thanks Dexter, it looked like we were going to blow it after the Anzhi game, but thankfully booked our ideas up. I'm not too disappointed with the CL results, it would have been a remarkable achievement to make the semis and we showed we can beat the big teams.

Season Review 2029/2030

russianpremierdivisionov.png

Cup: 6th Round defeat at Zenit St Petersburg

Champions League: Quarter Final extra time defeat to Arsenal

Highest Rating: Vladislav Shnaider - 7.62

Top Scorer: Vladislav Shnaider - 36 goals

Most Assists: Artem Filimonov - 9 assists

Finances: £10.5m

Manager's Thoughts:

We did it again, four times in a row we've been crowned champions of Russia, and rightly so. There were plenty of times when it looked like the title might slip out of our grasp, but in the end a superb end to the season made up for those mistakes and we surged past a flagging Anzhi side. We lost the Cup, being pitted away at Zenit in the early stages and going down 3-2, but that success was balanced by a great run in the Champions League, getting through a tough group for the first time and seeing off Porto before falling to Arsenal in the quarters. That's the kind of run we have to continue making if we're to progress as a club.

On the field, we were perhaps less fluent at times going forward, a fact shown in us scoring fewer goals than last campaign, but we still scored enough. What was a little concerned was that Shnaider scored almost half of those goals on his own, and after the sale of Kuznetsov none of our other three forwards really stepped up into the second striker role. Sinyagovskiy looks to have the edge on Ganiev and Lunin at the moment, but there'll be ample competition for that spot next season as we look to support our iconic captain. A few more goals from the midfield wouldn't go amiss either, but they're creating enough chances for me not to have to worry too much.

On the squad front, we're reaching a stage in the club's development were we're going to have to sell off a few of the older squad members to allow our young talents to progress. Many of our teenagers are knocking on the door of the first team - we have a bit of a backlog up front and at centre back - and after tutoring now also possess the sort of personality I'm looking for in the squad: determined and professional with a healthy dose of ambition. The financial screenshot above comes before any transfer activities, but we've also managed to grab Kaigorodov back from Krasnodar at a large cost - £8m plus £20k per week, although some of the fee comes back to us in sell-on clauses - and it's likely he'll be the only significant purchase over the summer. Leaving will be Sergey Kuznetsov (a disappointing £2.5m to Terek), Vincent (an identically low fee to Fiorentina), and hopefully the ageing Pozdnyakov and Popov too. Not only is it sensible to make some money on these players before they turn too old to be profitable, but it also creates room in the wage budget for the raft of contract renewals that come at the start of each season.

Financially though, we're doing fine. Our kit sponsorship jumped from £7.25m to £8.75m in time for the new season, and it's only for a single year so we can expect another jump next time round. The new stadium has also increased our revenue flows, and the coming year looks like it will aid that even further, the board announcing a large expansion that will dramatically increase the new ground's capacity and also allow us to host the best part of 90,000 fans in the meantime. We still lie fourth in the annual salaries table, and whilst we are reliant on sponsorships and prize money, we aren't alone in that and I have no financial worries. If we aren't winning prize money, we aren't winning, and that's a far bigger issue.

Goals for next year:

Retain the title with more than 65 points

Win the Cup

Match or beat our CL progress

July 2030

Transfer news before the season kicks off then, and we were unable to shift Popov or Pozdnyakov, not even on loan, meaning that either their contracts will wind down or they'll be useful backup. Mardas may also be on the way out after demanding too much of a pay rise for my liking - we're already seeing a lot of the young players wanting bigger salaries, and I fear this may be something we just have to get used to. We picked up one more player, 16-year-old striker Roman Druzhinin arriving from Amkar for £3m.

Rubin Kazan 0-2 CSKA - Russian Super Cup

With half of my squad either injured or busy playing a pointless World Cup game (Russia beat Australia in the third place play-off the day before Spain beat France in the final), we fielded a line-up with no player over the age of 22, and three making their professional debuts. Rubin managed the bizarre double of First Division and Cup last season, but should never have been relegated and we thought they would provide a decent test for my youngsters. Not really so - aside from an early spell which saw Jokic save a penalty, we were in control, and goals from Sinyagovskiy and Filatov were easily enough to pick up a trophy we've won more often than not.

Kuban Krasnodar 0-5 CSKA

With everyone back bar a couple of injured casualties, we're at close to full strength as we head south to face Kuban, returning to the top flight after a short absence. They manage to hold us for just over half an hour before the inevitable happens and Shnaider scores, and from then on we carve them open at will, adding a second at half time and threatening every time we go forward. Belik gets a rare third with a scorcher from range, and we grab two more as the hosts are unable to keep up with our attacks. A great start to the season, and a great benchmark to set for performances.

CSKA 1-0 Amkar Perm

Another newly-promoted side - admittedly there are four this year - in the shape of Amkar, who will no doubt have that 10-0 hammering at the back of their minds. It looks like being a similar story when a 7th minute penalty is converted by our skipper, but whilst there's little resistance from the opposition, we're wasteful going forward and unable to add to our lead. The single goal is enough for now though, and we pick up the three points.

Thanks benn, glad you're enjoying the ride! Volga don't a tycoon or a particularly wealthy backer - as you can see here, they've bounced about the league over the last few years but are a solid side of their own making. They're definitely punching above their weight, but they've earned it.

August 2030

Rubin Kazan 1-1 CSKA

Sometimes football is a funny old game. Having beaten Rubin easily in the Super Cup with a bunch of kids, our full strength side labours in Kazan to a worrying degree. A Ponomarev own goal gives them a deserved half time lead, and we're in grave danger of conceding a second for much of the rest of the game. Shnaider saves our bacon by poaching one late on, but it's a poor display and the kind of thing we can doing without at this or any other stage of the season.

CSKA 3-2 Spartak Moscow

Gone are the days of 30,000 fans at CSKA-Peschanoye - today we play our old rivals in front of 76,000 in the Luzhniki, and whilst it's only a temporary arrangement, it's a great one for all parties. We're slow out of the blocks and are punished accordingly with an early goal, before Shnaider first has one disallowed and then converts from the spot to level. We have the momentum going into half time, and make sure of that when the visitors fail to clear a corner and allow Osvaldo to volley in. However, their half time team talk seems more effective than my own, and five minutes later they're back level, setting up a brilliant second half. The decisive moment comes from the most unlucky of sources, a free kick into our box from deep headed away for right back Yaroslav Titov to collect and run 70 yards up the pitch before coolly slotting home for the lead and his first senior goal. Osvaldo picks up a second yellow, forcing us to play the last ten minutes a man short, but we stand firm and collect a big win which should kick us on a little.

Dinamo Moscow 0-0 CSKA

Another rival encounter, and a similar story to many that have been told between these two sides. Dinamo offer very little in the attacking third as ever, but retain a strong defensive shape that we struggle to break down, and with our strikers having an off-day we're unable to take any of the few chances we're afforded. It's comfortable at the back, but already we're starting to drop silly points and we need to cut that out.

CSKA 1-0 Anzhi Makhachkala

The big names just keep on coming, and this season it looks like we'll face all our title rivals at home in the first round of fixtures, so we need to be taking advantage of that fact. As with most of our games against Anzhi, this is a tense game, just four shots being registered in the opening half and not that many more in the second. Neither side wants to lose, and it takes until the clock reads 89:47 for the first shot on target, but it's a decisive one - Shnaider heads Palacios' cross onto the post, and is quickest to react and bury the rebound past the stranded keeper. It's harsh on the visitors, but I for one will not be complaining.

Terek Grozny 0-2 CSKA

Terek are becoming something of a dumping ground for us at the minute - they line up with three former Army Men in midfield, have Popov on loan and ineligible, and are waiting confirmation on Pozdnyakov's £5.5m move when we kick off. It won't do them any good though, and a frantic opening spell is ended with a spot of penalty area pinball and the opening goal from Ganiev. We continue to press throughout the game, rarely giving the hosts a look-in, and in the 89th minute the same man grabs the second and we leave Chechnya with three very good points under our belts.

russianpremierdivisionok.png

After the Terek game, we learned our CL fate for the year, and it's another tough one even if slightly easier than last year. Benfica may not be Milan, but they're still a good side for the third pot, and we'll also face Manchester United, who have won the last two tournaments and are managed by the greatest manager of all time, Pep Guardiola. I'll enjoy locking horns with the old master, but I get the feeling poor old Sion may take a few beatings - they're the fourth side in the group.

Good progress in the CL and another league title, very nice. Can't believe Shnaider only has 9 Russian caps! Is it a case of there being an awesome couple of strikers already there or do they just play one up front?

Thanks guys, we're looking good so far. Elbilly, I'm also of the opinion that poor Vladislav has been robbed. He has of course had the imperious Sergey Popov to get past, but Russia play two up top and the last two bosses has preferred either Spartak's Anton Radchenko or Lokomotiv's Igor Chistyakov for the most part. Both good players with great scoring records, but for Shnaider to get just nine caps is an outrage!

September 2030

Dinamo Barnaul 1-4 CSKA - Russian Cup 5th Round

We make eleven changes to the side as the kids come in for the cup, and our trip to third tier Dinamo is no less successful for it. Their only shot on target provides a late consolation and one of the lucky scorer to tell the grandkids about, but we're fairly ruthless and a Sinyagovskiy hat-trick is more than enough to see us through to the next round. A couple of bigger clubs drop out at this early stage, so we're hoping for good draws and another trophy.

CSKA 0-1 Manchester United - Champions League Group H, Game 1/6

My first meeting with Guardiola, and what a setting, the Luzhniki packed full for the game against the reigning European champions. We stay with United for the first quarter of the game, but it soon becomes apparent that we just aren't quite as physically blessed as the visitors, my midfield having to resort to cheap fouls to break up the game. One such foul concedes the free kick that their Israeli forward nets from, and after that they're happy to absorb our limited pressure for the best part of an hour. We stick with them, but we never truly threatened.

CSKA 2-0 Zenit St Petersburg

Had it not been for a late surge, Zenit might not have made Europe last year, and their start to this season hasn't been fantastic either. Still, they're always a tough side to face, and we have to be on our guard. Thankfully a certain Mr Shnaider is keen to get them out of the way, and starts by launching a rocket into the top corner just three minutes in. We can then sit and pick Zenit apart on the break, and as soon as one such counter finds our iconic forward free in the second half, it's game over for our rivals.

CSKA 1-0 Alania Vladikavkaz - Russian Cup 6th Round

At home and against a relegation battler, this should have been a lot easier than it was. In the end I perhaps made one or two changes too many in resting some of the first team regulars, and Alania stay with us for far too much of the game. It's a match full of niggles and knocks, yellow cards aplenty for both sides, but ultimately it's settled by Voros' 85th minute strike and we secure Cup football in the new year.

CSKA 1-0 Volga Nizhny Novgorod

Volga have got off to a flyer in the league, and at this stage are one of our closest challengers at the top. Whether they'll hang on in there remains to be seen, but on this showing they'll cause lesser clubs plenty of problems. They set out their stall for a point, and probably would have got it had it not been for a red card shortly after half time. The extra man shows, and we have them chasing shadows in due course, Kiselev able to find enough space to squeeze one in midway through the half. It's not a particularly fluid display from our lot, but as long as the points keep ticking over I'm happy to take them.

Cheers guys, the aim is to get through the groups on a regular basis and try and kick on. Whether we ever win the thing is another matter as I'm trying to keep the squad as Russian as possible and the two aims don't really coincide, but we've definitely established ourselves as a decent European side now. This year, Benfica will be the key.

October 2030

Sport Lisboa e Benfica 0-2 CSKA - Champions League Group H, Game 2/6

Benfica will be our rivals for second behind United, so it's imperative that we hold our own here in Portugal. We needn't have worried, as although the hosts push forward, they do so toothlessly and leave an early gap at the back which Sinyagovskiy ruthlessly exploits. It's a lead we keep to the break, and the second half is a nice even affair, both sides able to keep the other at arm's length. It's a situation we're happy with, and even happier when our young forward pounces on an error in stoppage time to seal the win with a lovely lobbed effort.

Krylya Sovetov Samara 0-1 CSKA

This season, there's been a marked difference in the way we play against the weaker teams. It's through no tinkering of my own, but rather than go out all guns blazing and look to knock a dozen past them, we're a lot more pragmatic in our approach, and the smaller numbers in both for and against columns are proof of that. This is another example, Ganiev's strike midway through the first half enough for three points, and we keep grinding out the victories.

Alania Vladikavkaz 0-1 CSKA

At the minute, my team is making it very difficult for me to find much to write here. This is a tale of two penalties, the first one forcing a superb save from the home keeper and the second buried into the bottom corner by Shnaider. We ride out the next 50 minutes without managing to get the killer second goal, but again it's enough.

CSKA 2-0 Lokomotiv Moscow

If you ever want a demonstration of how to take a potentially difficult game and dominate it, I suggest you watch this. We're in control from the first minute to the last, restricting the usually dangerous Loko attack to a couple of long range potshots and dictating the tempo throughout. Shnaider gives us an excellent platform with an early tap-in, and a second from the penalty spot five minutes from the end is the icing on a victory-flavoured cake.

CSKA 2-1 Sion - Champions League Group H, Game 3/6

The Swiss outfit should be the whipping boys of a good group, so anything less than six points from our two games will be a massive disappointment. We get off to a good enough start, you-know-who opening the scoring on the quarter hour mark, but after that the tie is more even than we'd have hoped, the visitors grabbing a deserved equaliser just before the break. My team talk wakes us up a little bit, and we begin to assert ourselves more confidently, finally resulting in Sinyagovskiy's decisive goal 20 minutes from time. Not convincing, but a win.

CSKA 4-2 Krasnodar

Bizarrely enough, with the exception of a single 20 minute spell, this might just be our best performance of the season despite the rare goals conceded. We start atrociously, and before we've even woken up we find ourselves two goals down and staring at defeat to a side looking like becoming legitimate title rivals this year. I make a couple of tweaks, and in no time Shniader replies to cut the deficit. We pour forward, and in a 15 minute spell either side of the break we go ahead thanks to two strong headers from Diaz. The visitors have nothing left to respond with, and Sinyagovskiy's pace proves their undoing as he completes the comeback late on. It's an emphatic warning shot to our rivals, and keeps us going nicely at the top.

russianpremierdivisionoq.png

Cheers cerud, we may not hit the free-flowing heights of last year but you can't argue with the results!

November 2030

Mordovia Saransk 0-4 CSKA

A game of two halves, to coin an old cliche. In the first half Mordovia are stubborn hosts, pressing us well and not letting us get going, a scrappy finish from Mardas giving us an undeserved lead to take into the break. After the restart however, we're a lot more fluid and it shows, our attack rattling three more past their keeper before the hour mark. Job done, and a convincing start to the month.

Sion 2-6 CSKA - Champions League Group H, Game 4/6

I have to admit, I didn't see this one coming! The Swiss outfit hang with us for the first 20 minutes, on both occasions striking back immediately after we'd taken the lead, but just after the half hour we hit them with a quick-fire double, Sinyagovskiy with his second of the game backed up by a goal for Filatov from the left wing. Down by two at the break our hosts try hard to get back into the game, but by pushing up they leave acres of space at the back, and a more direct approach works to perfection, Sinyagovsky's pace taking him clean through on two more occasions to complete a four goal haul for the youngster and a comprehensive win.

Yenisey Krasnoyarsk 1-3 CSKA

Another potential banana skin as we travel east to Krasnoyarsk, but one we just about manage to negotiate. We edge a scrappy first half thanks to Osvaldo's heeader, and when Ganiev doubles the tally just after the break we look good for a decent score. However, the hosts then manage to pull one back and we have a penalty saved, keeping it close. Thankfully they all but seal it for us, picking up a red card which provides space for Shnaider to lash home at the death.

Amkar Perm 0-4 CSKA

Amkar must be absolutely sick of us by now. We've given them a good drubbing or two in the past, and after 45 minutes here it's looking like another potential cricket score, our front pair of Shnaider and Sinyagovskiy each netting twice on the way to a big lead at the break. This time however the foot comes off the throat in the second period, and we're happy to knock it around safe in the knowledge that this one is long dead.

CSKA 4-2 Kuban Krasnodar

We're in fine scoring form at the minute, and so it's little surprise to see us take the lead after just two minutes at home to lowly Kuban. It is a shock to see them equalise in next to no time, but a good finish from Voros soon restores the order of things. The rest of the half is a battle, but crucially we break them right on half time with the third, and that finishes the game. Kaigorodov comes off the bench to net his first for the club in the second period, and a late consolation is just that for the visitors.

Manchester United 0-0 CSKA - Champions League Group H, Game 5/6

This is the kind of game you dream of playing in as a kid, away at Old Trafford in the Champions League. A point here would be enough to see us through, but after losing at home we know that'll be a tough task. We set up to counter, and we probably have the better of an even first half, neither team coming particularly close to scoring. That pattern continues, Sinyagovskiy once or twice having shots saved, but United register nothing on target, when their right back appears from nowhere to score. Thankfully it's ruled out for offside, and although we lose three players to injury in the final 15 minutes, we're able to hold firm for a superb point. It could even have been three, but we go through with a game to spare.

Archived