Impossible to sign experienced players?

I didn't think I would start a thread to moan about this year's edition of Football Manager but I've really had enough...

I started a long-term (at least that's what I was planning) game with Wrexham and took the team from Blue Square Bet Premier League to npower Championship, securing three straight promotions in three seasons. Now, I know this is where it would start to get bumpy. Actually, I didn't think I was able to be promoted the very first season in League One but after a streak of losing, things (and my tactics) changed.

Right now I'm waiting for the stadium to be expanded and I'm sharing one with Everton. I've had a lot of fun when my wage and transfer budget were incresing significantly each year although I only spent a few pounds out of transfer budget, mainly singin players for free. Also, I was very happy when board agreed that it was time to invest in young players and training facilities.

I'm currenlly lying in 20th position in Championship and that doeasn't bother me at all since I mainly aimed for avoiding relegation and developing my young players.

What DOES bother me is that I find it impossible to sing any experienced players (at least those worth singing). They tend to either not want to talk to me or reject any offers I make. And THEN they go to another team for TEN TIMES LESS WAGE. This is ridiculous!

Like this guy:

http://imageshack.us/a/img43/88/noelhuntoverviewattribu.png

When I tried to sign him just one day earlier he wanted me to make an amazing offer. So I gave him max I can offer which is 10.5k pound per week. He wants 20k p/w so I can't offer that much and let it go. The very next day he signs for 1.3k p/w!!!! What the heck? This is simply unbelievable!

There is simply no way I can understand that.

1) Irish Premier Division is 2-star reputation while Championship is 3-stars.

2) I offered him 10 times bigger wages.

3) He's now a backup while I offered him a key player status.

4) Both club reputation is "national".

5) Wrexham is worth 8M while Shamrock Rovers 3.4M

6) My stadium is twice as big and all my facilities are much better than theirs.

And it's not just him. This guy is just an example. Those things happen all the time in my game... On the other hand it's very easy to sign young talent for free which is also very annoying.

I was planning to have a nice, long game with a very small team and my goal was to take them to Champions League eventually. Things like that discourage me very sucsesfully from playing the game.

I've been playing Football Manager A LOT and have every edition since 2005 but FM2013 will be my last one, I guess.

I haven't got to the same league as you yet but I have climbed up to League 1 with Chester after 3 straight promotion's and I have had a good start to my current season. So far I have had no real problems signing experienced players, managing to sign Sean St Ledger, Paul Keegan, Ross Wallace, Roy O'Donovan and a couple of others. Has this problem occurred once you reached the Championship or before that?

I did recently have the same problem as you though. I tried to sign a central midfielder who said he wasn't that keen on joining but would listen to an offer. I started with £2,100 p/w wage, key player role and a number of incentives within my contract offer and straight away I got the red speech bubble which ended my chances. Within 3 or 4 days another team in my league had signed him for £1,200 p/w on rotation. I know our reputation is lower than their's but why does he not negotiate with me at all??? I'm offering him more money and more games which surely at League 1 level is more important than how big the clubs are that are offering.

Like you I just feel this is terribly unrealistic. Still though I would put money on my team going up before his team does so it's his loss at the end of the day.

Of course, all I can go on is Noel Hunt as that's all you've mentioned...

But the guy has a high reputation and very likely didn't want to sign with you for that reason (and wanted a high wage because of the clubs league/status)..

He would have signed with that team because it's like going home for him isn't it, as he's coming to the end of his career..... seems pretty realistic to me...

But of course, I'm only going on that one example, you may well be right about other players etc.

I didn't notice it that much before I was promoted to Championship. There were a couple of situations like that but I thought it was due to my low reputation. Now I assume it should change but it didn't. Instead, I feel it much more.

Oh, there were times that I was wondering why other teams can sign those players that I wanted for much lower wages. But it

Well, if it was only for Noel Hunt. I thought about your explanation for a moment. But then, I just saw Chuks Aneke who was released by Arsenal. Just out of curiosity (I don't need him) I checked his contract demands and he wants 36k p/w. Then, just a couple days later, he goes to Hibernian for 3.5k p/w. He's 23 so I don't think he's going to end his career there.

I just don't get it...

same stuff happened in FM12 with contract demends, i had got a few sesons in, won the title, Tevez goes out on a free, he wants 100k, not a chance my board will give me that budget.

offer him 80k - refuse,

A week later he is off to Argentina on 10k/w

so it happened in the previous versions.

same stuff happened in FM12 with contract demends, i had got a few sesons in, won the title, Tevez goes out on a free, he wants 100k, not a chance my board will give me that budget.

offer him 80k - refuse,

A week later he is off to Argentina on 10k/w

so it happened in the previous versions.

he signed for Boca didn't he? his favorite team ;-)

Playing as Stalybridge in league 2. So far I have relied on older players to get me through on my journey

Bruno Abreu -BSN (34), Angel Marin - BSN (39), Emanuel -BSP (38), Takak - BSP (32), Sinclair -BSP (42), Lisembart -L2 (29), Caro -L2 (28).

Of course, all I can go on is Noel Hunt as that's all you've mentioned...

But the guy has a high reputation and very likely didn't want to sign with you for that reason (and wanted a high wage because of the clubs league/status)..

He would have signed with that team because it's like going home for him isn't it, as he's coming to the end of his career..... seems pretty realistic to me...

But of course, I'm only going on that one example, you may well be right about other players etc.

I think players want higher wage in club with higher reputation actually. I was promoted to championship league with sheffield united and my 1.1k p/w average/bad player with me as favored personnel and superb morale, who was supposed to be enjoying playing at the club wanted a raise to 2.9k pw plus a bunch of clause or he wouldnt renew his contract, I decided he wasn't worth it so I put him on transfer and he agreed to sign to a league 1 club with a salary of 1.9kpw and much less clause than he was asking me.

In short he could have asked me the same salary as that league 1 club and stayed in a club he loved while playing at a higher level but he didn't chose that, just because the club had a higher reputation it seems.

Archived