Have you ever seen anything like it...?

Cristiano Ronaldo

At the beginning of the 2017/2018 season I noticed that Cristiano Ronaldo was up for sale. His value was around £8mil and the club were asking for around £6mil. I looked into it a bit more and it was just a case of the club didn't want him at all, despite the player being happy at the club?

The season has just ended, so I thought i'd go back and have a little look at how things turned out... He's now worth only 600k and the club wanted just 65k!!! Look at his stats for the season and look at how good he still looks even for a 33 year old! How on earth could this be seen as realistic? He's now on his way to Juventus on a free transfer.

8B5A7DD24941954B092E0E5630EC1262D23D5203

9E11C290906101E2FB86E4B465A347431919C9C4

I think that the only realistic explanation could be he refused a contract. But then why was his Squad Status set as Not Needed all season? He clearly was needed when you look at how many games he played and how exceptionally well he did for a 33 year old. Therefore I don't think it was a contract issue and more like a bug.

As for his value... How can anyone, never mind their age, be worth so little? Just look at what he's capable of!

Yeh, they were asking 65k because really other teams could just offer nothing!

Im guessing he refused to renew his contract, nothing untoward here

As I mentioned in another thread I've had this happen with Rooney, C. Ronaldo, Higuain and Benzema in my save and those are just the ones I noticed by the players being on my shortlist, seems to me as if in an effort to make the ai managers have to build squads for the future better SI have made it much more likely that older players even those of a very high quality will let their contracts expire, forcing the manager to replace them with younger players but imo players like Rooney and Ronaldo shouldn't be doing this as often as it seems to be happening in my game.

How many 33 year olds have you seen go for big money recently?

Likely that at that age, most players get transferred around for free anyway.

This isn't just any 33 year old though, this is a guy who is easily the second best player in the game in my save. Messi just seems to have hit his peak and got an 8.66 average rating I think. My main point though is not how much they did or didn't get for him, more the fact of why they got rid of him?

As I mentioned in another thread I've had this happen with Rooney, C. Ronaldo, Higuain and Benzema in my save and those are just the ones I noticed by the players being on my shortlist, seems to me as if in an effort to make the ai managers have to build squads for the future better SI have made it much more likely that older players even those of a very high quality will let their contracts expire, forcing the manager to replace them with younger players but imo players like Rooney and Ronaldo shouldn't be doing this as often as it seems to be happening in my game.

So i'm not just banging on about nothing then? :D

It seems like they dont want to renew his contract anymore, he will be possibly looking at a higher wage that his existing £250k wage which they may not want to pay for a 33yr old. So therefore the AI manger is looking to his younger talent.

In all honesty yes I have seen 'something' like this but in real life.

I will admit this player is 'maybe' not at the heights of Ronaldo and I am unsure if it will happen to Ronaldo in the future but Luís Figo left Real Madrid at the age of 33(or almost 33) and joined Inter on a free transfer.

It seems like they dont want to renew his contract anymore, he will be possibly looking at a higher wage that his existing £250k wage which they may not want to pay for a 33yr old. So therefore the AI manger is looking to his younger talent.

I can understand the fact they may not be able to match his wage demands, but to put him as Not Needed when he's used in nearly every game seems odd?

On a side note, this thread also seems to point this out a lot too... http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/332826-Have-you-been-able-to-sign-any-big-players-on-the(relatively)-cheap-in-this-game

In all honesty yes I have seen 'something' like this but in real life.

I will admit this player is 'maybe' not at the heights of Ronaldo and I am unsure if it will happen to Ronaldo in the future but Luís Figo left Real Madrid at the age of 33(or almost 33) and joined Inter on a free transfer.

Do you know the exact reasons behind this though? You could be onto something here, but then again you might not.

Do you know the exact reasons behind this though? You could be onto something here, but then again you might not.

Real did not need him anymore,he was not going to be a first team player and wanted him off the payroll,inter were only to happy to take him off their hands.

Edit-I can see the samething happening to Kaka.

I can understand the fact they may not be able to match his wage demands, but to put him as Not Needed when he's used in nearly every game seems odd?

On a side note, this thread also seems to point this out a lot too... http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/332826-Have-you-been-able-to-sign-any-big-players-on-the(relatively)-cheap-in-this-game

not sure but could it be tied into the option human managers get to offer to clus and set transfer status as not needed?

they might have done that to try and avoid him going on a free and then just never changed it back.

So i'm not just banging on about nothing then? :D

I just had a look at the retirements page in my game in 2021 and it's littered with players retired between 33-35 who could easily have gone on to play for a few years at a decent level. One guy I released retired at 27, the likes of Nani, Kerrison, Ashley Cole, Silva and Robben all retired by 34 yrs old in my game so I'd say it looks like there's something not right.

I actually tried to sign Robben myself when his contract was expiring at Bayern but he was asking for outlandish wages and that'll be a big part of what's going on I guess. Players are refusing to accept that to prolong their career at a level lower than they have been playing at they will have to be more reasonable with their wage demands.

Real did not need him anymore,he was not going to be a first team player and wanted him off the payroll,inter were only to happy to take him off their hands.

Edit-I can see the samething happening to Kaka.

I can now see this as something SI implimented into the game, but I think it happens far too often, if you look at the other thread. This is 2 world class players in how many years? In that thread you can see it's happening a hell of a lot.

I just had a look at the retirements page in my game in 2021 and it's littered with players retired between 33-35 who could easily have gone on to play for a few years at a decent level. One guy I released retired at 27, the likes of Nani, Kerrison, Ashley Cole, Silva and Robben all retired by 34 yrs old in my game so I'd say it looks like there's something not right.

I actually tried to sign Robben myself when his contract was expiring at Bayern but he was asking for outlandish wages and that'll be a big part of what's going on I guess. Players are refusing to accept that to prolong their career at a level lower than they have been playing at they will have to be more reasonable with their wage demands.

Although it's not unrealistic for someone of 34 years old to retire, I would say going by what you've just explained, it happens all too often. Maybe as it's been suggested, it's SI trying to get the AI to build squads better.

I can now see this as something SI implimented into the game, but I think it happens far too often, if you look at the other thread. This is 2 world class players in how many years? In that thread you can see it's happening a hell of a lot.

I am not going to totally justify it but I think it is more than likely down to his wages,when Ronaldo hits 33(next season he is 34)what wages is he on,I mean by then he must be bringing in some 400k a week,if you were the manager would you give a near 34 year old 400k a week,or indeed as good as he still is would you pay him 200k a week?

As much as I would love to even have a 34 year Ronaldo at my team I would not be paying that sort of cash for him.

I guess it is a relevant.

I am not going to totally justify it but I think it is more than likely down to his wages,when Ronaldo hits 33(next season he is 34)what wages is he on,I mean by then he must be bringing in some 400k a week,if you were the manager would you give a near 34 year old 400k a week,or indeed as good as he still is would you pay him 200k a week?

As much as I would love to even have a 34 year Ronaldo at my team I would not be paying that sort of cash for him.

I guess it is a relevant.

For the sort of influence he has, I definately would pay his 200k a week.

Players are refusing to accept that to prolong their career at a level lower than they have been playing at they will have to be more reasonable with their wage demands.

Seems to me that this is probably the issue- there comes a breaking point where no club will meet the demands of the player, and the player won't lower the demands sufficiently to continue playing, be it at top clubs or lesser ones. And the player is still young enough to not be thinking about coaching, so they won't go to a player/coach role. If Ronaldo's new wage is 250k+ and even Real, let alone anyone else, are refusing to pay that for a 34-year-old, he's done.

I suppose it's mirrored slightly in Michael Owen having been a free agent and refusing to drop to the Championship (and ending up at Stoke). But even then, would he have retired? It seems unlikely- you've gotta imagine that lower top-division clubs in other countries would've also been interested, as well as places like China, Russia, the US, Australia etc. where he'd still be a marquee signing for a lot of teams in the way that Beckham, Anelka, Drogba, Eto'o, Robbie Fowler and Emile Heskey have been.

Players are refusing to accept that to prolong their career at a level lower than they have been playing at they will have to be more reasonable with their wage demands.

I signed Ashley Cole for St. Johnstone on £2.5k p/w....

I think once they have been a free agent for a while they drop their demands much much more rapidly, I have seen a reduction from 35k > 10k within 1 month of being released, and then down to 3k another month after that.

I still think the AI teams aren't good enough at signing out of contract players though, I feel really unfairly advantaged in this regard against the AI, to the detriment of my enjoyment of my save.

Same thing essentially happened to Drogba right? contract running down, club dont wish to pay the wages he accepts. Naturally his value goes down...he's gonna go for free so why would teams pay a huge fee to have him 6 months before in January? Contract expires, off he goes leaving a club he was a vital part of in winning a Champs League and FA Cup with

If this isn't a bug, it's possibly a step in the right direction.

I could be wrong, but in FM13 clubs do seem to be eager to try and get some form of sale from a player who's contract expires in 6 months time. I always found it annoying on earlier version when a club would refuse to sell a player at a lower price despite the threat of them losing him for nothing at the end of the season.

Another one I can see this happening to in real life is Lampard,it is clear his Chelsea career is over and it would not surprise me if Uncle Harry came in for him in the winter transfer window,Although a loan deal is more realistic it is not out of the bounds of reality that Harry could bid something in the region of 500k-1 million for him,Is win win for Chelsea,they get a little bit of cash for him and get him off their books and Harry will hope it is money well spent as he tries to keep QPR in the Premiership.

Another one I can see this happening to in real life is Lampard,it is clear his Chelsea career is over and it would not surprise me if Uncle Harry came in for him in the winter transfer window,Although a loan deal is more realistic it is not out of the bounds of reality that Harry could bid something in the region of 500k-1 million for him,Is win win for Chelsea,they get a little bit of cash for him and get him off their books and Harry will hope it is money well spent as he tries to keep QPR in the Premiership.

Sounds very plausible. 6 month loan deal, with an option to but for a couple of million in the summer. Lampard wont even need to relocate.

-Watch this space :) -

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-paper-round-lampard-join-uncle-harry-103412720.html

Although it's not unrealistic for someone of 34 years old to retire, I would say going by what you've just explained, it happens all too often. Maybe as it's been suggested, it's SI trying to get the AI to build squads better.

:) Zindane binned it at 33, and he was a far better a player than Ronaldo. Just look at their medal collection. There's loads that retire at similar age. If this is best to complain about, or Ronaldo being hawked out of RM at that age then all is well.

Didn't the same thing happen to Beckham at madrid? He was told he wouldn't be needed, went on to play a load of games and was instrumental in winning the league, still ended up leaving on a free.

Id much rather the AI built young squads then keeping the old guys on really. Would be nice if they looked at the free agent market a bit more though so these players could go to lesser top div teams.

Archived