Good passing football in the blue square, is it possible ?

It's possible but you can't expect Barca-esque passing in the Blue Square. In the BSS/BSN the technical and mental skill levels of players is very low which translates to a more direct style of play (ie. Just fire it up the field and pray.)

You'll need players with good Decisions and Creativity attributes (especially in midfield) because those are crucial in determining what options the player has when on the ball. If those attributes are very low then don't expect them to play a quick short passing game because they won't see it. They'll likely get the ball and fire it to the first option they see (nearby or upfield.) instead of taking the time to think and play the best possible tactical ball.

So far on FM 13 I've started several games as Truro (A challenge starting with only 9 fit players, no cash and a transfer embargo) and found I couldn't play around with the playing style too much. I have used a flat 442 with fluid mentality (everything else as standard) which can give me some lovely play which I ended up in the play-offs...Which was nice.

Strangely this seems to work the other way as in I couldn't use an overly rigid style. It might be a case of "the simpler, the better".

It has alot to do with condition of the pitches you are playing on. I have a save going with Guiseley in Blue Square North and started off by playing a passing game which worked pretty well, but by the end of October it was redundant as the pitches had deterioated far too much. Going to a direct style was the only sensible option.

Yes you can. I used a passing style with a 4-1-2-1-2 in the Northern Premier League and eventually, the BSN. Tom is right about the pitches, so you'll want to pay attention, but essentially, whatever your players lack in skill, your opponents will be defensively deficient as well. I would aim to get players on the high end of passing ability for the level, say, 8, 9, or better, and decisions as high as you can (though they tend to be crap across the board in that league). Your opponent's defenders will probably have crap positioning and anticipation, as an example, so you can expect your passing game to be successful. It's all relative, of course. You won't be passing like Barca :D, but as long as you expect to see a fewe interceptions, passes out of bounds or behind players etc., you can be happy.

My stafford thread shows that its possible to play a passing game where they are all set to 1. I have never accepted the notion that inferior sides cannot play a short passing game, even in the recent AFF Championships, we could clearly see inferior sides doing well playing a short passing game..

The only downside is your final third , this is where directness may be better, I keep the TC settings for everything and change the passing setup because i strongly believe that it works better with my side, which was ranked 7 for passing in the league.

After going on a horrible run of 17 games without a win, a change in tactic has me playing some lovely passing football. Look at the comparison page, how do you rank in midfield? I'm top in the division ranked in passing, technique, creativity and decisions I think.

What you need is movement between lines. Having a midfielder on attack and strikers on support can cause havoc with the terrible defenders down there. I'd say I'm creating 4 CCC a game at the moment. That gives me a great chance of some form of result in most matches.

I had typed a post with the details Cleon had required in my chastising but my wonderful phone lost it. Any way panic over, got a new computer yesterday loaded the game up and for some strange reason everything is working like I would have thought again. Luton are passing teams into the ground once more. I had a very late night playing so you can tell how we'll it was going, I am hiding at work feeling cream crackered. Thanks for those that took the time to reply.

Yes you can. I used a passing style with a 4-1-2-1-2 in the Northern Premier League and eventually, the BSN. Tom is right about the pitches, so you'll want to pay attention, but essentially, whatever your players lack in skill, your opponents will be defensively deficient as well. I would aim to get players on the high end of passing ability for the level, say, 8, 9, or better, and decisions as high as you can (though they tend to be crap across the board in that league). Your opponent's defenders will probably have crap positioning and anticipation, as an example, so you can expect your passing game to be successful. It's all relative, of course. You won't be passing like Barca :D, but as long as you expect to see a fewe interceptions, passes out of bounds or behind players etc., you can be happy.

I certainly agree with this. The opponents are equally bad so they don't close down the players all that well. I haven't played with a lower division team in FM 13, but in FM 12 I played with Vauxhall, gaining promotion from BSN at first attempt - winning the league with the team ranked as the poorest. Not very realistic of course, but I played my standard 4-2-3-1 which I've been using with good results for years. However, instead of sometimes playing with an attacking mentality, I mainly played balanced/standard and used the shout "work the ball into the box" quite a lot, often with "play to feet". Somewhat surprisingly, this worked fairly well even on poor pitch conditions. I tried to find players with at least 8 or 9 at passing, creativity, decisions, composure, technique and stamina. Of course it's difficult to find players who have 8 or 9 in all these areas at that low level, but those skills was the focus for my center midfield and advanced playmaker (the other being a ball-winner). Yeah - I used a playmaker even at that level.

I'm still reaping harvest with my 4-2-3-1, I was 3rd in the league with Sociedad (behind Barca/RM) in March before I got fed up with my insane injury rate - 5 players sustained injuries for 3-5 months, 7 players 2 months, a couple of other players out for 2 moths but not consecutively, and only 5 or 6 players who hadn't been out for at least two weeks.

Archived