Is that possible to make a remote control panel for football match in FM?

Hey,

Can the FM program running on desktop expose its data/API in LAN. So a remote app could connect to and subscribe/submit data. Think about when a match is running, you don't need to do those changes on the desktop screen - which will block/hide the main match view. Instead, you do everything on an iPad, while you can still see the match is ongoing. This will be more real - like in a real football game, a manager would stand beside the court and hold a board/notebook...

I think this will be a really good feature and add much more fun to the match. Currently if I need to tweak the tactic in a match here and there, it will make the match so discontinuous...

Anyway, I think technically it's doable ;)

x.

I think it would be pointless and a waste of time if SI did try and do it.

All it would do would require you stop watching the match every time you wanted to make any changes. Combined with the fact that almost everybody runs with highlights, rather than the full game, and with them sped up, I would be that all of these people pause the game anyway whenever they need to make a change, it wouldn't matter whether they made those changes on their PC or another device.

Why would it be pointless if a user needed to pause the game? Maybe they could pause the game via this API too.

In a lot of ways, an API and desktop "app" (ugh) is nothing more than a reskinning and resizing of the game to a different format. Reskinning has never been pointless because people care about aesthetics.

Exposing an API is of course possible in the same way that any well-designed game applies MVC, so all that changes is the view and controller (the API is a controller, and the designer needs to implement the view).

It would be pointless because it wouldn't add anything. For the small percentage of users that also have a tablet, an even smaller percentage of them would want to use it to control part of this game, and so SI would be devoting time and money to creating something that only a tiny fraction of users would use.
It's not just tablets. The OP is talking about exposing an API that in theory could be used anywhere (and not just remotely, on mobile devices). SI could even sell it as an app to control your game from anywhere in your house. Or watch other peoples' games on your own device, like streaming a match. Or even just using the API to gather statistics for those who love them.

Various surveys suggest that tablet usage in the US is anywhere from 10% to 30%, which is a pretty big figure even if it is US-specific. The fact that Football Manager Handheld exists suggests there's a market for football management games on mobile devices. Put two and two together.

I may sound completely moronic here but in I'm just not convinced by the whole tablet craze. I don't know why I would need/want one and I don't know what I'd use it for. I have a an above average spec laptop and a high end smart phone. Where would a tablet fit in? What can I do on a tablet that I can't do on my phone or laptop? I think people that spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds on an ipad need their head testing. Anyway, slightly off topic. Sorry. I click pause, make changes, unclick pause. Simple. Personally I would prefer SI to work on the FM14 ME relentlessly from now until next October. Just for once I would like a more playable game on release day. I'm not really interested in gimmicky features, they don't add anything to MY enjoyment of the game. I am just one customer though.

I may sound completely moronic here but in I'm just not convinced by the whole tablet craze. I don't know why I would need/want one and I don't know what I'd use it for. I have a an above average spec laptop and a high end smart phone. Where would a tablet fit in? What can I do on a tablet that I can't do on my phone or laptop? I think people that spend hundreds and hundreds of pound on an ipad need that head testing.
Most people are sheep and love flashy gadgets and pretty looking pieces of hardware. Don't need it? But it's so pretty!

Tablets in general in theory could eventually (probably not now, but eventually) replace laptops, as they are more mobile and the processing power difference will become immaterial. It's an open question which other form factors it might replace (or indeed, whether a tablet itself will be replaced by, say, much more powerful smartphones; or whether it replaces anything at all). You can never predict anything with certainty in the technology sector...

Archived