English Journeyman

tyepye

So after my failed Portsmouth game I've decided on something new, I'm going to do a journeyman game in the English Leagues.

The ultimate goal is to win Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Champions League with a club. What club I don't know but we shall see, hopefully.

My only rule: Accept whatever jobs I get offered, including managing international teams, even if I am perfectly happy at my current club.

I will start unemployed and as a Sunday League footballer, lets see what I get offered.

Pre-Season and Expectations

So my the rest of pre-season (3 games went well) won 2 then lost to Portsmouth in the final game.

I have bought in around 7 or 8 new players on low/non-contracts. Which should help me get my predicted mid-table finish. I'm going to stay cautious and say a mid table finish will be good for this season, as I'm not sure how good Havant are in the grand scheme of things.

Will update with the best signings I've made (including a brilliant looking Argentine striker) later when I'm back from work.

So far season is going well.

After 6 games I'm in the playoffs. The most bizarre game I had, I was 4-0 up at half time (my striker Kabba scored all 4) then they pulled it back to 4-4, I was very annoyed, swearing may have occured. Then Kabba popped up and scored the winner, a 5 goal haul!

Seem to be getting in to the habit of conceding late goals in the past few games so hopefully can stop that happening.

Been a tough season so far in the league. Haven't won in 11 games and have a lot of draws, but my form is slowly improving, just finding it tough pushing it to the next level. On the plus side I'm into the second round of the FA Cup :)

Full review of the first half of the season coming soon, just got to the end of November.

Mid-Season Review

So I have got to January and I haven't been as successful as I would have liked to have been in the league. I am just above the relegation zone.

28bs7yf.png

My down fall so far has been the amount of draws I have had when been in winning positions. Below are my league results so far.

66gm6g.png

I started really well with 1 loss in the first 5 games and was in the playoffs. I was feeling confident we could continue our good form but then the rot set in.

In the Tonbridge game which finished 3-3 I was 2-0 up then 3-2 but still drew. It's a similar story in most of those draws, I conceded late games. Been on a bad run of results over the last 3 games. Hopefully we can turn it around in the second half of the season.

If my league form hasn't been good my FA Cup run has been stellar!

2n03eko.png

I have been the underdog in every game but some how managed to come through all the way to the third round, the greatest result came most recently against Cheltenham, who are in League 2, I equalised in the 87th minute in the first match and then defeated them on pens in the replay, I was 2-1 up at one stage. Not sure we'll be able to get past Crewe but will certainly give it a go (to be honest I was hoping for a Prem team in the third round but never mind)

I'm also doing well in the FA Trophy, reaching the third round.

Expectations

Well the main expectation now is to avoid relegation. Need to start winning games consistently first and foremost. A good season will be my original midtable finish.

Well I demolished Crewe in the cup 3-0, Hattrick from Gomez.....been drawn against Chelsea in the 4th round! BRING IT ON!

Obviously, I will never get through the next round but if I can at least score a goal that would be great :)

In other news my League form is still mixed. Win a couple, lose 1 but have made a gap between myself and the relegation zone so that's good.

So I got thumped 7-0 by Chelsea, gutted we didn't get a goal in front of my home fans, we certainly had a few good chances to score, but never mind.

League form is still mixed. Want this season to get to the end now so I can re-jig in the summer.

I don't fear finishing in the relegation zone though, just want to finish in the mid-table place and start again next season.

Well I have had an amazing run just now. Unbeaten in 6 of my last 7 and won 5 of those.

Just had back to back results of 6-0 and 4-0.

Almost at the end of my season so expect a full review tomorrow evening when I have a bit more time.

Season Review

League Table

1z4gw2b.jpg

So in the end a pretty fair season. I'm pleased with my overall finish, especially as we were just on the relegation zone at the turn of the year. I was after a mid-table finish and I just about got that. The main disappointment was my poor form in the first half and failure to win my matches, but as you will see below my form in the second half of the season was top notch.

I must also point out that we scored the most goals out of anyone in the league. Just our leaky defence let us down. That was rectified in January with the signing of a couple of DC's and we have been much more stable since then.

2nd Half Fixtures

15u2kn.png

I was really impressed with our form in the second half of the season. Despite a slight blip in the middle we were pretty consistent and being unbeaten in the last 6 was fantastic. I hope we can continue that sort of form into next season. The highlight for me has to be that 6-0 win over Dover, we dominated them from start to finish and as they got promoted it shows how far we have come over the course of the season.

FA Cup

2gxqrur.png

My FA Cup run was certainly the highlight of my entire year. We played so well to get through to play Chelsea and I was very proud of my team. The 3-0 spanking of Crewe was particularly satisfying. We had to rely on replays and then those penalties a couple of times, but it was all worth it. Yes we got annihilated by Chelsea, but it will be a run that will go on long in the memory :)

Players of the Year

Apologies of no screenshots/review etc. I forgot to take them before continuing my season, and just wrote down my best players then forgot I would need to explain why. Will be better next season :)

Defender - Mark Hingley

Midfield - Eddie Hutchinson

Attacker - Dali Gomez

Special mention goes to my January DCs

Farai Hallam & Faisal Hemati who helped my defence no end.

Career Overview

Season       Team                       Country                  League                 League Finish             Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13     Havant & Waterloovile       England           Blue Square Bet North            13th  

Feedback

Finally for those that are following this update have you got any recommendations on how I lay out my updates? Is there anything you would like to see added? Anything you don't like? I've only done this once before with my failed Pompey game, so any feedback good or bad would be great.

Pre-Season 2013/14

Expectations

So after last year I am looking to build on my midtable finish and aim a bit higher for a top half finish. With the right signings I believe this is possible. Unfortunately I lost one of my star players from last year, Eddie Hutchinson to Woking who are in the BSP, replacing him will be key.

A bonus would be another good cup run. If I can get to the FA Cup proper I will be pleased with that. 3rd round though is the over achieving target there but I doubt I will have as good a run as last year.

Friendlies

140m4w1.png

Nothing to shout home about here. Probably should have beaten Hendon if I am being honest but it's only pre-season so not to worry.

Signings

rc5urm.png

I played with just one striker last year, and have altered my tactics this year to have 2, so strengthen this area was a key job.

Both Appiah (on loan from Crystal Palace) & Benoit (young signing) look like good players to do this.

24me3o0.png

28swsye.png

Hartson & Merriman are also strikers but more backup to my first team than anything. Just adding a bit of depth if needed.

I also needed a new AMC and have bought in Dinsmore to do this. Although he is a striker, I believe he has the right attributes to be an AMC and will be training him to do this role.

rwp09e.png

So there we have it. My team as it is about to face it's first opponents in the league. Fingers crossed for a good start.

Will try and update more often, will go for 5 updates overall during the season as standard now

(Pre season - midway (OCT) - then end of first half (JAN) - then 2nd midway (MAR) - then end of season (MAY) so an update every 2/3 months on the game.

Update

League

3bpcy.png

So the most positive thing is the position we currently stand. Far better than last season and we have matched the points we had in January last season, in October this season. Again though I am shipping too many goals. 17 in total over just 13 games. On the plus side my scoring is still good with 22 goals in the first 13 games.

Fixtures

16k19o6.png

As you can see I got off to a fantastic start this season winning 5 out of my first 6 games. Benoit and Appiah were amazing in those opening games. Since the two draws against Welling & Whitehawk we haven't been the same. We should have won both those game (they were both in the relegation zone at the time and I was top) and since then we have lost 4 out of 5 in the league only scoring 2 goals. I'm not sure what has actually happened. We were playing so well, and all of a sudden there is nothing. Not sure if my tactics have just gone off, or not. But we have just won our latest game in the league so we will see what happens over the next few matches. I might have to mix things up again.

In between all those results I had a nice 3-0 win over the Met Police. Two more fixtures, the first v Dorchester (who I beat 2-1 earlier in the season) and I'm in the FA Cup proper.

One worrying thing is that I keep getting messages that Benoit isn't communicating well with my team mates. Hopefully he learns more English soon.

Awards

35mmyrq.png

Was very happy to get my first manager of the month award with Havant. We did have an amazing start. Just need to recapture some of that form again.

5kg74j.png

An my on loan striker was fantastic in the opening games. He has gone off the boil recently, hopefully he can regain some goalscoring form again.

Next update will be in January at the half way mark of the season.

Season Review

League Table

2ywd6ac.png

So a good top half finish which is what I was after, very pleased with the end position and with a bit more polish to the squad can keep moving up the table. Certainly getting closer to those playoff positions which I will be aiming for next year.

Fixtures

34dlz6w.png

We had a strong start, and a strong end but our mixed form in the middle of the season punished us. Hopefully it is something I can address next season.

Players of the Year

Defender - Faisal Hemati (has adapted into my team really well and is now a rock in my defence. consistent performances in almost every game)

Midfield - Steve Ramsey (great going forward and setting up goals, but also good in the tackles. A very important player to my Midfield)

Attacker - Dali Gomez (he was awesome from the start of the season till the end. very consistent and always my go to striker to get me out of trouble)

Career Overview

Season       Team                       Country                  League                 League Finish             Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14     Havant & Waterloovile       England           Blue Square Bet South             7th
2012/13     Havant & Waterloovile       England           Blue Square Bet South            13th  

Pre-Season 2014/15

Expectations

So I have told the board I expect to get to the playoffs this season. I think it is very achievable based on our progression last season. Fingers crossed I will be there close to the end of the season :)

Friendlies

nbafyc.png

So nothing to shout home about in the friendlies, but had an excellent 2-2 draw with Portsmouth. I don't know how strong a team the fielded but it was a very good result going into the first game of the season.

Signings

Nothing to report here. I'm very happy with my current squad and couldn't find any players that would be better than what I currently have. Will keep an eye out as the season progresses as I would like to bulk up my centre midfielders as I am quite low on that front.

All the best - this is the year you take the extra step. :thup:

Well it's going well so far, check the update :)

Mid-Season Review

League Table

2vmapnq.png

Fixtures

xqm5pi.png

Well what about that! Our best start ever has left us in top spot at the turn of the year. Our form has been fantastic and despite a few acceptable loses we've been brilliant from start to finish. We have managed to keep our goals against us down, compared with previous years also.

Tactics wise I am playing a 5-2-3 (2 wing backs). On occasion I have had to deploy an AMC instead of the 3 ST but this seems just as effective when needed and means I can mix it up if things aren't going my way.

33uzsy9.png

Our FA Cup run went to the 2nd round where we lost to Newport County, which made the recent 2-1 victory vs them all the sweeter to give us a clear gap at the top of the table. We are now 5 points clear which could become 8 if I win my game in hand!

Our FA Trophy run also only went to the second round but I wasn't that disappointed by going out of either. Yes I would have liked a big money fixture in the 3rd round if I had got past Newport County but I have bigger priorities in the league right now.

Transfers

I have bought in a couple of players that have really helped my team:

Connor Wilkins

xlmft4.png

My new record signing at 30k, a great MC who has performed well in the first half as expected.

29ofk7p.png

My new AMC, who can also play MC. Plays very well also, getting involved in build up play, if not always delivering the final ball he is normally key to build up play.

35n54qp.png

I bought this guy at the start of last year and he was in my reserves for most of it. I had to bring him in a few times when injuries hit and he performed well 2 goals in 4 games. So this year I promoted him to first team and he has done exceptionally well. Scoring 12 goals in 28 appearances.

Expectations

So have my expectations changed. Well I think the minimum now is a playoff place. At the start of the season it had a good chance, but given my position at this stage it should be almost a given and anything below this will be a major disappointment. Hopefully though it won't come down to the playoffs and my form will stay as it has been and automatic qualification to the BSP will be on the cards.

See you at the end of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Season Review

League Table

214az2q.png

So what an amazing season. Top of the league and automatic promotion finally. Took 3 seasons but got there in the end. I think this is my highest ever goals scored in a season and also the least amount conceded. Will be interesting to see how we fair next season.

Fixtures

2dkcrxy.png

So from start to finish we were consistent. We had been lacking consistency in my previous seasons but managed to get back to back wins quite often. My tactics started as 5-2-3 but in the ended up as 5-2-1-2 when I signed Gareth Ferry. Seemed to be a very good move and I switched between the two when needed.

Towards the end of the season I had a blip at the end of the season where I didn't score for 3 games but was due to injuries and was rectified in the final game with 4 goals against Whitehawk.....which ended up relegating them.....oh well!

Players of the Year

Defender - Nsaku was a rock in my defence all season. We never seemed quite so solid without him in the team.

jz9kyh.png

Midfield - Ferry was very good all season, he was key in our build up play getting plenty of goals and assists in the process.

fbf0c6.png

Attacker - Benoit was awesome, scored lots of goals and also got quite a few assists.

ye89y.png

Career Overview

2014/15     Havant & Waterloovile       England           Blue Square Bet South             1st              Blue Square Bet South Champions
   2013/14     Havant & Waterloovile       England           Blue Square Bet South             7th
   2012/13     Havant & Waterloovile       England           Blue Square Bet South            13th

It will be very interesting to see how we perform in the league above us, I think I have enough quality at the moment but will see where I can strengthen. Going to be losing 2 of my wing backs (left and right) as they don't want to sign contracts but shouldn't be too hard to replace them.

See you in my pre-season!

• 2 weeks later...

So Christmas and New Year are over, which means I have had time to play FM again.

Mid-Season Review

League Table

1655if.png

Fixtures

2567990.png

So then, not exactly how I hoped the season would but we are newly promoted. In places this season we have been very good and tend to play slightly better against higher placed sides. However we have lacked consistency. I can be some what to blame for that as it's been hard to get a tactic that works. I've changed a few times this season and while it works for a couple of games it never seems to stick.

5mbw34.png

Our FA Cup run was alright. Got to the second round where we lost a close game to Portsmouth. Could have at least got a draw in that game but nevermind, the league takes priority right now.

Our FA Trophy run is going good at the moment. Into the third round which I play in the next few games.

Transfers

mlmpgm.png

1975dy.png

Couple of my better signings this year. Both been playing well.

Finances

So this is getting a problem. I can no longer afford to renew my best players contracts which includes my two top strikers and my best central defender, they are also my most paid players.

The problem also is that I am spending 3k more than my wage budget allows. Now I am thinking do I keep them till the end, as they are my best players, or do I ship them off in January to get a bit of cash and save some wage money then try and find younger replacements with less wages that might do that job well enough to keep me up? Will think about it over January.

Expectations

My goal for the second half of the season is obviously survival, if I can do this I will be happy. If I get relegated though, I plan on resigning.

See you at the end of the January when I will let you know what I have done.

Just a little update for January. Decided to keep my best players and hope that we can stay up. I can't afford to offer them new contracts though so they will no doubt leave in the summer. Got rid of a few players that were dead weight in the squad really to free up some of the wages. Also swapped up my tactics again and after a couple of defeats seems to be holding for now. I'm still just inside the relegation zone a few points from safety. Hopefully some consistent results now and I'll climb to a safe position.

Will update again at the end of the season.

Season Review

League Table

296emfd.png

So I survived and it was by the skin of my teeth. It went down to the last game of the season and I was level on points with Wrexham who in 20th. Fortunately I won my last game which is all I needed to do, in truth I could have also drawn it but it was nice to have the security of a win.

Fixtures

2vbkdmt.png

My 7 game unbeaten run was the reason why I stayed up. I said some consistency is all that I needed and that is what we got just in the nick of time.

Players of the Year

So although I only just survived I can still have players of the year that made it happen.

2my6t8w.png

Defender - Nsaku was solid as a rock again this season. Shame about my other defenders really, and that I don't have enough money to offer him a new contract. Will have to hope my raw youth can play just as well next season

10y3sev.png

Midfield - Wilkins got this award but really it was the best of a bad bunch. Need to sort my midfield out this season I think if I am to improve.

347e7bd.png

Attacker - Benoit again gets this award. His goals arguably kept us up and he will be a big loss next season as like Nsaku I can't offer him enough money to stay.

Career Overview

2015/16     Havant & Waterloovile       England           Blue Square Bet Premier          18th                    Survived Relegation
   2014/15     Havant & Waterloovile       England           Blue Square Bet South             1st              Blue Square Bet South Champions

So then a season battling relegation. I certainly don't want that again next season. Hopefully the players that leave will free up enough money to get enough quality in to push forward up the table.

See you in my pre-season!

So a quick update before a mid season update which will probably happen at the weekend.

My form so far has been mixed, win a couple, draw a couple lose a couple etc. I'm currently 3 points from safety and that seems to be holding, I am in a better position than I was at this stage last season so can't complain about the improvements.

I decided to mix it up this season and bought in a Director of Football and a Head of Youth Development to help identify better signings, so far it has been relatively successful. On deadline day got in 4 loans 3 of which are very good and 1 is average but is good for the numbers. Where I am really struggling though is goals. After losing my top goalscorers in Ferry and Benoit I haven't been able to get anyone close to their quality.

I have also changed my tactics up to 4-1-2-2-1 due to lack of quality strikers to make a pair. I am a bit more solid at the back, although I feel if I don't score first in games I am likely to lose.

Overall I have to say it's been a good start in comparison to last season, just need to win a few more games back to back. Hopefully if we can get a good mid table position by January then we can kick on from here. Told one of my players that I wanted to get promoted by the end of next season to keep him happy. Our results this season will show if that is being over ambitious or could in fact be a reality.

See you in January!

Season Review

League Table

i4em53.png

Well another finish in the lower leagues, we were around that position and always had a comfortable points gap on the relegation zone so never thought I would go down. Was just annoying we couldn't put any sort of winning run together at any point in the season, too many draws, far too many. The main problem was scoring goals though, only 39 over the season isn't acceptable although was very pleased with my defensive record and only conceding 42 goals.

Fixtures

t9us6f.png

So many yellow dots, which was a problem, either had to come from behind or conceded late on. Not the most enjoyable season and it will be might possibly be my final one with Havant.

Players of the Year

To be honest, no one has stood out my top scorer had 8 goals and that was a winger. Nothing good to report really.

Career Overview

2016/17     Havant & Waterloovile       England           Blue Square Bet Premier          19th                         
   2015/16     Havant & Waterloovile       England           Blue Square Bet Premier          18th                    Survived Relegation

So, that is that, not sure whether to resign as Havant. I believe I have got as good as I can and I'm starting to get tired to be honest. If I had played better over the season I probably would have stayed but I don't want another season in bottom of the table obscurity.

What do you guys reckon?

davey247: I tried loaning in some quality strikers for that season but it didn't work, they just didn't perform.

iHeadHunta x: Indeed very disappointing, and a sad end to my time at Havant. Hopefully they can do a good job without me.

I decided to resign at Havant. Just not enjoying it there.

Went a few months before any jobs got offered then both Tranmere (BSP) and Preston (L2) offered me a job. Went with Preston as they are in the next league up and had only just been relegated from L1 so will be aiming for playoffs I think, will update it in January.

So then I have become Preston manager and have played up until January. He is what has happened and what I make of the team.

Before I arrived they were sitting in 18th place and their fixtures had gone like this:

mrbyxl.png

Their main problem was the back to back loses at the start of the season, and from then on their form has been mixed at best.

Mid-Season Review

League Table

i6z4lh.png

Fixtures

2it6lpy.png

So I must say we have been brilliant. The first game I lost but I put that down to new tactics and we needed a replay to beat Dover, but from then we didn't look back. Playing a 4-1-1-3-1 formation we play counter attacking football very well. 5 straight wins in the league and we were unbeaten for 7 games. Although our form has dropped a bit over Christmas, I'm hopefully once games get less hectic and my players keep their fitness up we will go on a good run again.

Annoyingly my board are disappointed with my management of the club and say the club is performing terribly in the league, I really can't see how this is my fault though as the problems were from the previous manager. But I'll soldier on. The board said they wanted promotion this season, I think that is very ambitious but if we can find our pre-christmas form again we can certainly make the playoffs.

Transfers

I haven't bought any one in but here are a few of my better players in the team.

Scott Laird

Has got to be my best defender, he has been solid since I joined.

Bradley Dack

Is a very good AMC but can also be deployed as a MC if needed.

Luke Rooney

Will Hayhurst

Hayhurst and Rooney have been awesome on my wings since I came. I think Hayhurst has fitness issues but with rotation I think he'll be fine.

Also look who I found my old player from Havant Gareth Ferry!

Gareth Ferry

Not quite the superstar he was at Havant but could still prove useful over the season.

Expectations

So my expectations, to push towards those playoff positions. If I don't make it I won't be too disappointed, but my board will probably hate it. They gave me a three year contract though so surely won't sack me if I don't quite make it? Boards are nice like that right?

So things haven't gone exactly to plan since the turn of the year.

I'm currently sitting 13th, 10 points off the playoffs with 10 games to play.

I've had a horrid run of form after a positive start to the year which I won 3 out of 4 games. I have now gone 6 games with out a win including 3 straight losses and now 3 straight draws. I have just changed my tactics again to try and counteract it and if I can just convert these draws into victories I think we can have a strong finish.

On a separate note look who I just managed to sign on a free:

z06jb.png

Man City released and for some reason he wanted to come and play in league 2. Should turn out to be a star for me.

Blinding signing that for League 2!

Yep it is indeed. He's been playing well but his fitness isn't that great at the moment. Rarely recovers to 90-100% between games so normally have to sub him or bring him on for impact, but he has been out of football for a while so a few more games and hopefully he will be playing 90 minutes every game.

Season Review

League Table

21k9hg7.png

So this is around where I had expected to finish. It would have been nice to finish in the playoffs but there isn't really the quality in the team at the moment. I'm pleased to have improved their overall position the league after I took over though.

Fixtures

2czdgko.png

We never had a good run of games really and lost far to many to push our way up the table. Draws and losses dominated our fixture list and we tended to conceed late goals.

6ophrp.png

We had a good cup run this year, beating a couple of teams above us before succumbing to Blackburn of the Premier League

Players of the Year

Defence

4uanv9.png

Signed in January and been very consistent. Hope to strengthen at the back though so may not feature as much next season.

Midfield

snkyon.png

My signing of the season and hopefully next season he can really push the team forward in the middle of the park.

Attack

15g0tu.png

My super player really, can play on the wing and up front and doesnt mind where. Scores goals, gets assists and key to most of my games. If he doesnt play well we tend to not play well so need more players like him to change a game.

9iwd4l.png

I also got a couple of players in the team of the year which is nice :)

Career Overview

Season       Team                           League                 League Finish                Achievements
   2017/18      Preston North End               npower League 2              13th                        
   2016/17     Havant & Waterloovile       Blue Square Bet Premier          19th                         Resigned    
   2015/16     Havant & Waterloovile       Blue Square Bet Premier          18th                    Survived Relegation
   2014/15     Havant & Waterloovile       Blue Square Bet South             1st              Blue Square Bet South Champions
   2013/14     Havant & Waterloovile       Blue Square Bet South             7th
   2012/13     Havant & Waterloovile       Blue Square Bet South            13th

End of Season Review

Board

246tocx.png

Me

I think that is a bit harsh to be honest. When I came in Preston were falling down the league and I steadied the ship. The board had wanted promotion but I couldnt see that happening. Hopefully I can do that next season, but the right signings will be key!

Sorry for the lack of updates.

Been having problems with my save crashing at the same point in the game so haven't progressed much. Going to go back to an earlier save, when I next get a chance to play, to see if that lets me get passed the crash point.

Not sure why it's doing it to be honest :( Will keep you all updated.

Archived