FM22.... Just how great will it be?

I do like looking through the FM14 wishlist thread. Some of the suggestions are fantastic, some are plain ridiculous. When I think back to the series ten years ago and look at how far it's come in that time my imagination runs wild when thinking about how the game will evolve in the next ten years. In my opinion 01/02 was a great game in it's own right but compared to the current game they are worlds apart. Some may say for the better some may say for the worse. So, close your eyes, fast forward to the autumn of 2022 and tell me what you hope for. How much better can the AI get? How will the match engine evolve? Will we be watching a ME with similar graphics to a FIFA game of today or better? How will interaction between manager and player change? Do you think we'll be playing much the same game? How much further can SI take this series of games? Do things even need to change that much?

Impossible to say...

Most average sub £300 pc's would outperform some of the very best gaming pc's from back in 2002... and as a rule of thumb, technology progression rates only increase over time so who's to say what the hell pc's will be like in 10 years.

Back in the 00's people were seeing movies like Minority Report and dreaming of touch screen tech.. look at us now.

my only hope is that some other studio will grow some balls and challange SI for the best Manager game out there, else we will be keeping up this slow pace of improvements each year

If nothing else, it'll give you a few more forums to moan on!

my only hope is that some other studio will grow some balls and challange SI for the best Manager game out there, else we will be keeping up this slow pace of improvements each year

Your *only* hope?

You don't have other hopes, like FM becoming more like the game you want? Do you even know what game you want that would satisfy you, really?

Strange person...

Impossible to say...

Most average sub £300 pc's would outperform some of the very best gaming pc's from back in 2002... and as a rule of thumb, technology progression rates only increase over time so who's to say what the hell pc's will be like in 10 years.

Back in the 00's people were seeing movies like Minority Report and dreaming of touch screen tech.. look at us now.

I think it'll also be interesting to see what football becomes in 2022 and how FM will adapt to new trends and, hopefully, very deep and complex dynamic procedural generation features such as large scale formation trends (each decade having coaches and approaches shifting in and out of favour/effectiveness as they do in real life).

The exciting developments for me are the possibilities extra computing power offer for ever more advanced algorithms. Dynamic league rep? What about dynamic national physical make up within populations, AI coaches so smart they can lead the tactical consensus in game ala Mourinho and Pep in real life and perhaps even functional football organisations, reforming leagues , competitions and FIFA rules as your long-term career saves go on.

That is proper pie in the sky, idealism but if football's rules slowly evolved over the past century or so the change the offside rule, outlaw the backpass, and so on, who knows what could develop if there was an internal football logic engine so sophisticated that it could analyse in-game football trends (as mentioned above) and perhaps reform the global rules over the game over multiple decades?

Ok, maybe save that for FM2052 rather than 2022...

well in "the game i want" i could build my own designed stadium... but as mentioned here on the forums by the developers thats never gonna happen because its "unrealistic, and not the job of a manger", but on the other hand every 15 year old could pick up the game and take over a management job at manchester united, but they draw the line at "building a stadium is unrealistic", so i dont put alot of hope into this game getting anywhere close to what i wanted it to be :rolleyes:

well in "the game i want" i could build my own designed stadium... but as mentioned here on the forums by the developers thats never gonna happen because its "unrealistic, and not the job of a manger", but on the other hand every 15 year old could pick up the game and take over a management job at manchester united, but they draw the line at "building a stadium is unrealistic", so i dont put alot of hope into this game getting anywhere close to what i wanted it to be :rolleyes:

If that really as key for you as more football related matters then it probably is worth either waiting for a different studio to do something.

I remember Ultimate Soccer Manager '98 let you sort of build your own stadium and around the ground. Wonder what happened to that series... *goes to Google*

This is why I have a hard time understanding most of your complaints about the game haunted... you seem to have misunderstood that SI are trying to create the most accurate simulation .. not just a game....

Computing is developing at such a rate that monitors themselves may be obsolete by 2022 with all computer displays being fully formed holographs. How cool would that be watching your match as if it's being played right in front of you? And with voice technology already growing in stature, touchline shouts could be just that.

This is why I have a hard time understanding most of your complaints about the game haunted... you seem to have misunderstood that SI are trying to create the most accurate simulation .. not just a game....

well the simple fact that you can never become chairmen, and i guess this guy has the saying over the stadium at some point? is a huge letdown for me... and its such a simple thing... why cant you become chairmen of a club? i suppose that would be too unrealistic as well?

Computing is developing at such a rate that monitors themselves may be obsolete by 2022 with all computer displays being fully formed holographs. How cool would that be watching your match as if it's being played right in front of you? And with voice technology already growing in stature, touchline shouts could be just that.

I'm not convinced that mouse and keyboards will be replaced in such a fashion for gaming, unless such voice recognition/holograms offer a tactile, physically robust interface, or something like Google Glass is involved. A sort of 3D bubble around you and your computer would be sweet though for atmosphere and feel.

well the simple fact that you can never become chairmen, and i guess this guy has the saying over the stadium at some point? is a huge letdown for me... and its such a simple thing... why cant you become chairmen of a club? i suppose that would be too unrealistic as well?

Well it is Football Manager.

By the way, haunted1234, check your private message inbox. I sent you something about an alternative for stadium building!

Do you know of any managers who have become Chairmen?

Do you know of any managers who have become Chairmen?

I can only think of two people who have held both positions at some point in their life, which makes it obviously an extremely rare occurance, and not fit for inclusion in FM. Niall Quinn at Sunderland and Jim McLean who was both Chairman and Manager of Dundee Utd.

So while it's rare but possible in real life, I'd hate to see it in FM. The boredom levels would go through the roof!

The only feature I want is by 2022 I want it to be so detailed I have 10 options, with a variety of tones to suggest to my players what jam they should have on their toast in the morning.

Player: What can I do for you gaffer?

Me: (Aggressively) I want you to have blueberry jam on your toast.

Player: I'm not really a fan of toast.

Me: (Mellifluously) How about a crumpet?

Player: That sounds delightful.

etc

It'll be fundamentally the same game we have now, with a bunch of new features that no one wants and which don't work properly, and a whole pile of new bugs. And I'll still buy it and play it obsessively until FM23 comes out :D.

The only feature I want is by 2022 I want it to be so detailed I have 10 options, with a variety of tones to suggest to my players what jam they should have on their toast in the morning.

etc

This here is the most likely scenario.

etc

And in FM23 they will add food agents who will cause your players to drop out of contract from asking excessive amounts of caviar.

We can also safely say that by FM22 we will be averaging 6 woodworks per game and most will reply that "it's realistic,it happens in real life as well".

I hope they'll have implemented a dugout view by then.

This! and also...crouching view... football at knee level view ala Marcelo Bielsa or AVB. And why it this football manager game don't have a manager figure on the touchline? i see physios...linesmen etc but no managers

I hope that it will take some of the featurees of OOTP with dynamic changes happening. Like a club could be taken over and moved to a new city (rareity of this would vary on location. In the US it would happen more than in Europe)...league structures could change slightly. None of it your decisioning, but by the game. Storylines off the pitch, but can affect performences on it. But I know that this is unlikely due to the potential for lawyers getting involved or something? But imagine these things happening, like the EPL deciding in 2016 to add another 4 teams. It would really make each game unique.

I hope that it will take some of the featurees of OOTP with dynamic changes happening. Like a club could be taken over and moved to a new city (rareity of this would vary on location. In the US it would happen more than in Europe)...league structures could change slightly. None of it your decisioning, but by the game. Storylines off the pitch, but can affect performences on it. But I know that this is unlikely due to the potential for lawyers getting involved or something? But imagine these things happening, like the EPL deciding in 2016 to add another 4 teams. It would really make each game unique.

This is actually something that seriously needs to be implemented.

For example, a scenario that I'd love to see is a country growing enough in the footballing world to implement a reserves league or like you said,extend their league with more team. Many countries don't have an U19 cup for example. It would be interesting to see a country implement one in order to "motivate their youth" and increase their quality of regens. Or Austria for example, their league is 10 teams only. I bet if someone managed to make their league the strongest in europe, they would be bound to add more teams in order to stand up to the name and the competition grows.

Or a single team grows a lot and decides to found a B team that will compete on a lower scale and might eventually make it on a higher division. It always buffled me how barca, at.madrid, etc start with a B team like they normally have, yet no other spanish team is ever allowed to do the same if they become equally big.

And would something like that require any licencing to begin with? I guess not since they would be fictional, yet not unrealistic since a country would indeed take actions to have their leagues grow if their league quality level increased through success.

BGM tried, failed miserably and showed exactly what a great job SI do.....

In fairness a stadium designer I think would make a great addition now.

Im not talking about the manager deciding on what stands he should have, but a stadium builder that could replicate real life grounds. The community would replicate real stadiums in no time, that would make the games look even better than they do now, and add to the realism.

I can only think of two people who have held both positions at some point in their life, which makes it obviously an extremely rare occurance, and not fit for inclusion in FM. Niall Quinn at Sunderland and Jim McLean who was both Chairman and Manager of Dundee Utd.

So while it's rare but possible in real life, I'd hate to see it in FM. The boredom levels would go through the roof!

Barry Fry and Dave Whealan too.

I wouldn't like to see a stadium designer feature, although I think SI would be wise to make such superfluous things into purchasable DCL add-ons for users who wish to take their saves away from the studio's vision for the canon game. If you can pay to never be sacked, why not also offer the option of playing Sim Stadium Builder for a fee?

What could be interesting and realistic however would be giving extremely influential and long serving managers limited input in the specifications for a new stadium such as the ability to recommend capacity, commercial facilities (boxes etc.) and the like.

I believe Wenger collaborated in the planning and design of the Emirates. This should be totally optional and incredibly rare though, and limited only to managers who have utterly dominated their club for decades.

I wouldn't like to see a stadium designer feature, although I think SI would be wise to make such superfluous things into purchasable DCL add-ons for users who wish to take their saves away from the studio's vision for the canon game. If you can pay to never be sacked, why not also offer the option of playing Sim Stadium Builder for a fee?

What could be interesting and realistic however would be giving extremely influential and long serving managers limited input in the specifications for a new stadium such as the ability to recommend capacity, commercial facilities (boxes etc.) and the like.

I believe Wenger collaborated in the planning and design of the Emirates. This should be totally optional and incredibly rare though, and limited only to managers who have utterly dominated their club for decades.

It doesnt have to be part of the in game features, just an editor to create stadiums that are used in game.

At the moment you only get generic stadiums and the stadium Southend play in looks nothing like Roots Hall. It would be great if the community were allowed to create stadiumsto be used in game.

It doesnt have to be part of the in game features, just an editor to create stadiums that are used in game.

At the moment you only get generic stadiums and the stadium Southend play in looks nothing like Roots Hall. It would be great if the community were allowed to create stadiumsto be used in game.

There are issues with licenses when it comes to real stadium likenesses and designs but player generated ones might be a good way to get around it.

FM 22 i expect you to be able to have more influence on players! I.e. What they eat before and after games and at training etc. Christmas parties to keep morale up, or training camps if you have 10 days of etc! Things like this. Some of which could be introduced in the next 1 o 2 fm's actually!

Would also like to see in future FM release a special English edition down to like level 14! I know there are expansion packs but i would like to see FM do a special one where there would be little bugs and more detail into the clubs!

Maybe they could do that for the 10th anniversary of Football Manager?

• Administrators

Common misconception that would happen - if anything if there was another Football Manager-type game selling similar numbers as us, it'd take so much of the market share there's a chance we'd have to reduce the size of the team as we wouldn't be able to afford the staff. That would make the 'slow pace of improvements' go even slower. Sometimes I think people actually forget how small a studio SI actually is.

I know what FM22 will be like;

The 3D engine will look like something from 2007 as opposed to 2002.

The AI will be unable to build squads properly.

Regens from Brazil will have no technical ability across the board. Meanwhile, English regens will put Messi to shame.

Morale will be calculated via the use of a random number generator.

You will be unable to sign any player for less than 10x their value.

Arsene Wenger will continue to spend £40 million of 31 year old players.

442 Will be the least successful formation, instead the most successful will be a variant on the 1-3-1-4-1 assymetrical formation.

:D

No offence, but both of those sound horrendous.

I agree if you take his idea at face value. However I am surprised that as a manager I'm not able to employ a nutritionist. There have been a lot of footballers over the years that have struggled with weight due to their lifestyle and build. I'm not saying I should be able to tell my chunky centre forward to eat salad and lay off the burgers but I kind of think that a player's weight should be variable. I'm not sure if weight fluctuates in the game at the moment. Also, I'd love to be able to employ a sports psychologist, they may have more success at boosting morale than I do! This suggestion is probably better suited in the FM14 thread but I think Football Manager could be so much better with a little more focus on the man management side of being a football boss. Footballers are human beings too, even if they don't always act like it. ;)

Common misconception that would happen - if anything if there was another Football Manager-type game selling similar numbers as us, it'd take so much of the market share there's a chance we'd have to reduce the size of the team as we wouldn't be able to afford the staff. That would make the 'slow pace of improvements' go even slower. Sometimes I think people actually forget how small a studio SI actually is.

Neil:

How many are you guys?

If I remember correct, Miles said on twitter that you where around 60 in development and QA. How are the numbers split? Asuming the numbers are correct, I guess you are some 10-15 more in administrative positons.. I would say 70-80 people in total is quite a lot? (I know it is not EA style but still)..

I work in a software development company myself, we are around 20, whereas 8 are developers, 7 QA/business consultants

I agree totally on the enhanced backroom idea Wakers and superposh - psychologists, nutritionists, sports scientists, biomechanics experts... bring it on!

If you're interested, I raised the idea in this thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/301789-Sports-scientists-nutritionists-etc-in-future-FM-s?highlight=sports+scientist

There's also another thread on a similar tact by antfm08: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/311455-Sport-Science-in-FM.-Could-it-work

I don't think we'd need to reach FM22 for this to be useful or feasible as a feature either.

Archived