Regen RB/LB's

Hey Guys, I'm currently in 2018 and i love employing attacking wingbacks when I'm at home and away to smaller teams, but it seems not a single decent regen has a crossing over or even at 15. Currently LB Marcelo who's nearing 29 while at RB i have Gino Peruzzi who is epic never heard of him but it seems he's at Valez when the game starts but looking to the future it's not looking bright.

I have a RB wonderkid and several 5 star potential youngsters none with crossing over 12 my main wonderkid at 22 who's been training crossing since he was 19 is only at 11 all my training is at 4 stars or higher. It just seems strange there's only two LB's on my game under 23 with 15 crossing or more and two RB's :S I have 11 leagues full active with over 60000 active players in my database.

Any idea's or am i just stuck with having wingbacks that can't cross once players like Marcelo retire? Is this a known regen bug that may be fixed in an upcoming patch don't think I've seen anyone else say anything about this.

I might have to try that but I'm guessing there defensive stats will leave them unbalanced, worth a look tho. I'm actually quite happy with my RB with 11 crossing it just bugs me that the stat is so low and tbh Gino Peruzzi with 16 crossing bends in the most wicked crosses some games, it's a real game changer.

I might have to try that but I'm guessing there defensive stats will leave them unbalanced, worth a look tho. I'm actually quite happy with my RB with 11 crossing it just bugs me that the stat is so low and tbh Gino Peruzzi with 16 crossing bends in the most wicked crosses some games, it's a real game changer.

It is annoying. What's the regen's passing, creativity, decision and flair like? Maybe he could offer an attacking outlet with his passing rather than with crosses?

You might be surprised by some of the defensive stats some wide players do occasionally have. Plus, if you're looking for replacements for the likes of Marcelo, I'm guessing you're looking for attack minded full-backs anyway?

Yeah it's a regen problem mainly there's lots of players at the start of the game some pretty young but as I'm nearing the end of my 2018 season they're starting to get on abit. Marcelo is actually rather solid with 18 tacking and other major defensive stats over 14 at 29.

Here's my current best RB regen.

rightbacku.jpg

Here's a prime example of a regen that just does not have any from of crossing. At 17 i doubt I'm going to get it up by six or more it's not impossible but from player progression so far in 2013 it seems unlikely. Plus his passing is also dire even for a 17 year old. All my regens seem to be very similar to this but only for RB's and LB's it seems there all built purely to defend.

tcrossregen.png

Right now in my game there are 5 wingbacks, 17-under and all regens, and 1 fullback with 15+ crossing. There are 7 fb/wb and 2 wb between 18 and 22 and all regens. My guess would be wingbacks are generated with good crossing, fullbacks are not, and it's taking the ai a few years to train them to become fullbacks. I agree with you that the numbers are low, perhaps because more fullbacks are generated than wingbacks in general so even fewer of those are good wingbacks.

The reason for this is that Crossing, in terms of CA cost, is a "low value" attribute for fullbacks, so when CA is distributed for an improving fullback, it is very unlikely that it will be put into Crossing. The value is a point higher for wingbacks, so they will generally have good crossing (likewise, if you want to improve your fullbacks' crossing, it would be probably be most effective to retrain them as a wingback). Essentially, FM's attribute weighting assumes that all DL/DR are supposed to be defensive fullbacks.

FWIW, though it's technically not a "bug," it's worth raising this issue in the bugs forum as it is a reflection of antiquated tactical ideas that need to be updated.

Newgen's templates have been borderline horrid for a couple of editions already...

With the notable exception of the few wonderkids who are starting XI material at 17 already (who are well-rounded due to a ridiculously high starting CA and PA), most newgens suffer from at least one fatal flaw.

CBs are either slow-paced behemoths or ultrafast weaklings who can't get off the ground. Oh and those who are competent at both jumping and running are usually so mentally poor their good qualities go to waste anyway.

Same goes for fullbacks who would be better suited as CBs or MCs... or for MCs who should by all means play wingers... and so on.

The only hope is to track down one of those few MR/L who are decent at both defending and attacking and retrain him as fullback.

Still, there should be MORE newgen templates that can turn out competent without needing years of tiresome and potentially fruitless retraining/tweaking... FM is good at developing ready-made wonderkids into the new Xavi, Iniesta and Messi, but it fails miserably to provide all the Sidwells and the Richardsons of the world...

Yeah, the templates are criminally bad and has been for several years. Why won't SI do something about it?!

Attributes like flair, bravery or team work are generally very low and it's attributes that are very hard to impossible to train.

Creativity and Team Work for central midfielders are hard to find. Flair for wingers or jumping for defenders. Sure, i can understand that not all players from those positions have high attributes in those areas but players that are otherwise high Premier League qualities should in 99% of the cases have at least 10-12 in important attributes for their positions. A 150 PA winger should never be generated with a flair lower than 10.

Look at real players. Phil Jones has 14 in flair. Nani has 11 in team work.

The templates needs to be more balanced. It's not uncommon to find a centre back with 17 in heading at age 16. But then he also has 2 in jumping which means that when he's fully developed at 26 he'll be something like 20 in heading and 6 in jumping. Or wingers that have 20/20 in technique, first touch and dribbling but then 5 in flair because they were generated that way.

Or wingers that have 20/20 in technique, first touch and dribbling but then 5 in flair because they were generated that way.

I absoutely agree with the main gist of your point, but personally I would give Antonia Valencia a high score (maybe not 20) for dribbling and 5 for flair, as he doesn't do anything but knock the ball past people. Of course he should be the exception, whereas in FM he is the rule, so your point is still very valid.

It is strange how inactive leagues seem to be simulating far more realistic results in terms of players performance, match stats, competitions and possibly now regen attributes.

That's a very nice regen fullback though eple!

Attributes like flair, bravery or team work are generally very low and it's attributes that are very hard to impossible to train.

I raised the top level regen DMs lacking Bravery issue and SI said it wasn't a problem since unweighted attributes were evenly distributed... which misses the point (i.e., some positions should have a higher proportion of players with good Bravery, Aggression, Flair, etc.) but it doesn't look like this is going to be addressed in the near future.

It is strange how inactive leagues seem to be simulating far more realistic results in terms of players performance, match stats, competitions and possibly now regen attributes.

That's a very nice regen fullback though eple!

Not strange at all. If you simplify a system, you will get more consistent and predictable results.

I know I'm likely in the minority, but I think ALL AI teams should operate using simplified, abstract systems for player development, squad management, etc.

Leave the full complexity to human minds equipped to handle it and just focus on making the AI offer a realistic challenge (additionally, this would also greatly reduce processing times)... but again, likely minority view here.

That's gonna be the best fullback in the whole game, so it's not overly relevant to that point...

As said, Top-quality newgens do exist and are well-rounded and balanced because they were "born" that way. I bet even at 16 when he was generated into the game he had the same "shape", just with lower attributes. Then his development went on with no issues.

In my current FM12 save (don't have FM13 but I assume not much has changed in terms of newgens templates and, much less, of AI development skills) Liverpool's Jack Robinson is the 6th most valued fullback at approx 13M... and there are but a few FB-only with adequate (10-15) crossing skills AND equally acceptable defensive skills.

Basically in the future you get a couple of Roberto Carlos, a few Zambrotta and an endless list of Phil Neville... And even all those Nevilles aren't a bad thing because the next step in the "devolutionary" ladder is a group of unbalanced players who wouldn't get a second look in real life due to their glaring flaws.

Archived