Football Manager and Youtube [suggestions]

Hello everybody :)

I'm creating this thread and making these suggestions because of two reasons, one quite selfish and the other a bit more selfless.

Let's start with the selfish reason. Last year I made quite a lot of FM videos. To make a long story short, it was a pain in the neck to make them. Due to not having the best laptop the footage I captured was often quite jerky, framerate was an issue to say the least. I used a screen capture program for two reasons. The first is the format FM renders files in. That format isn't recognised by any video editor I could find. I tried trial versions of most video editors I could find and none of them wanted to have anything to do with the FM files (more on that later). The second reason is that the in-game highlight selection is a bit scarce on highlights. You can render out the goals and that's it. If you want more highlights you have to record them manually.

Now for the selfless part. Youtube is a huge opportunity for free marketing/PR and I feel SI are missing out on it in a massive way. Let's take FIFA for a little comparison and start at the absolute extreme. KSIolajibebt has over 800.000 subscribers, regularly hitting a million views on his videos. Like I said, this is a massive extreme but for numbers that are a bit more ordinary you don't have to look any further than guys like NepentheZ (125k subscribers, regularly 30k+ views), calfreezy (167k subscribers, 50k+ views) and airjapes (117k subscribers, 40k+ views). Even if we assume that's all the same people for each one that's still at least 30.000 people who watch their videos every single day. That's a whole lot of free advertising for the game. Those guys are basically working for EA at keeping the game relevant and keeping people interested in the game the whole year round. That's without EA having to do anything in return (although they do, that's not really relevant).

So, where are the actual suggestions in this suggestion thread? Let's get right to it!

1)

Have FM render out videos in formats that users can use straight up. Having to download a third program to convert the files into useable file types is offputting.

I understand that the files can be played by youtube but there's one important factor missing. You can't do commentary on them. That's the hook that keeps people coming back. Dry gameplay footage will never garner interest in the long run, it needs human interaction which you don't get if you upload straight from the game.

2)

This is a big'un, to say the least. Incorporate a better video editor into the game and increase the amount of things you can put into FM rendered videos.

Like I mentioned in the ranty part of the post, the options users currently have for highlights are quite meager. Goals or nothing. I'm not proposing a hugely overelaborate video editor or in-game screen capture software. What I would like to see is the ability to select the different highlight packages ('key', 'extended', etc) and/or input time periods you'd like in the video.

For example I might want to shorten the time opposition goals are shown, lengthen the time my own goals are shown and show them from two angles, show a (in my opinon) nonsensical yellow card, the 6 shots Torres put off target and when my keeper hit the bar with a free kick from our half. The way things are now that would be a real hassle to get done. However, give me an interface like the tactics analysis tool and it takes next to no time (comparatively). From there I could select 'shots', click to add the goals and Torres shots. Then I'd check the foul screen, add the yellow card then passes and add the free kick from the keeper.

Let's say I then get a list like this:

Goal (1:45-2:45)

Opposition Goal (5:35-6:35)

Torres Shot (7:00-7:30)

Goal (18:20-19:20)

Torres Shot (20:00-20:30)

Torres Shot (22:10-22:40)

Yellow Card (25:05-25:35)

Torres Shot (34:35-35:05)

Torres Shot (56:00-56:30)

GK Free Kick (72:20-72:50)

Torres Shot (89:30-90:00)

Click any of these and you get a few sub options. Camera angle, preview, duplicate, duration. From that you could trim or extend each clip, duplicate it and change the camera angle on the new addition and arrange the list in whatever order you wanted. For example you could get to this:

Goal (1:30-2:45) (sideline)

Goal (1:55-2:25) (dugout)

Goal (18:00-19:20) (elevated)

Goal (18:40-19:20) (sideline)

Opposition Goal (5:50-6:10)

Yellow Card (25:10-25:30)

GK Free Kick (72:30-72:40)

Torres shots x6 (various times)

What this has accomplished over not having any sort of video editor in the game may not seem significant but actually is, at least in my opinion. First off, you can pick and choose exactly what you want from a list of things and work with them within the environment they are created in. Secondly it eliminates the need for screen capture software entirely. In doing so it helps those with non-top end computers who either have to make do with stuttering video or reduce the quality below HD, which is simply put a very bad thing for youtube videos nowadays. Rendering this sort of list out of FM guarantees that you'll have consistent video all the way through, no matter what. Obviously there's a concern that it will take ages to render but that's the case with any video rendering anyway, so that's not really a concern worth noting.

3)

Make the SI logo optional in short videos.

This is more for ease of use than anything else. If users want to render the videos out of FM in individual clips and then piece them together in a different program (for example if they intend on using screenshots in between or other video clips) it would be a nuisance to have to start by cutting the logo animation from the start of every single clip.

4)

Allow import of audio files for rendering along with video.

A relatively unfair request but might as well include it while I'm at it. If this was included people could watch the preview of their video while using audio capture software to record commentary. They could then import that sound file and render it out with the video. Not really reasonable but would be quite nice anyway.

---

That's it for suggestions that I can think of at the moment. I've just had a look at youtube and not a single FM13 video uploaded in the past 24 hours has hit 200 views. There's a huge opportunity there to take advantage of but it will require some help from SI for those of us who want to make videos. I am under no illusions that what I've proposed is probably ridiculously time consuming in terms of the coding and that but I really think it would be worth it in the end.

If you've made it this far I'd like to thank you for reading, even if it may be a bit incoherent in parts :D

Like I mentioned in the ranty part of the post, the options users currently have for highlights are quite meager. Goals or nothing. I'm not proposing a hugely overelaborate video editor or in-game screen capture software. What I would like to see is the ability to select the different highlight packages

Highlights you are able to upload are fully customisable. You can choose the default goals package, or you can record any part of the game, and use those in a customised highlights package giving you FULL control of what highlights to show.

3)

Make the SI logo optional in short videos.

This bit has always intrigued me. My guess is that the SI logo is compulsory by way of advertising, people have to see it before seeing any video on the game.

However I would expect that most of the watched FM youtube videos are of bugs/bloopers/mishaps or other oddities that don't reflect well on the game.

I for one couldn't give a flying Duck about anyone else's goals (no offense Icelander83), and I dont think I am alone.

I am only going to watch a youtube video of FM for one of the other reasons, where I am forced to see the SI logo telling me exactly who made the engine containing the bug.

Does the concept of 'no such thing as bad publicity' truly apply here?

Highlights you are able to upload are fully customisable. You can choose the default goals package, or you can record any part of the game, and use those in a customised highlights package giving you FULL control of what highlights to show.

Did not know that. Before I made the post I loaded up a match I'd just played and tried the record button. Couldn't see that clip appear anywhere. Then again, when I've exited a match I don't get the 'upload highlights' tab when I re-enter it which would explain that.

Archived