Adjusting my counter tactic

I'm managing Fortuna Düsseldorf from the Bundesliga. We're one of the weakest teams in the league, the worst in passing and techniquie, and almost the worst in creativity.

That's why I decided giving up a tactic based on ball control.

On the other hand, we have a sufficiently good defence, wingers who are at least not-really-slow (14) and a striker with a good finishing. I decided to play quite defensively, relying on counter attacks.

I created a tactic, won Schalke 1-0 (from a counter) on the first match day, then 0-0 against Hoffenheim and 1-1 against Augsburg.

Not bad at all, and yet, I felt the tactic isn't working perfectly and changed it a little bit. Before I go on, I wanted to know what do you think about my team instructions concerning my philosophy of the game.

294mhbr.png

As you see, I'm playing some kind of 4-2-3-1.

What I want to see is us sitting deep, drawing the opponent forward, and then hitting them with a quick counter attack.

My best attacking options are my two wingers, especially the right one. I want him always to wait for the ball in a good position, recieve it and make a run forward. I have increased his mentality to very attacking and decreased his closing down to "own area" in order to achieve that. Is it a good idea? Should I focus my passing down the right flank?

If a counter isn't possible at the moment, I want us to move the ball until an option appears, and then hit the ball forward.

Are my instructions right?

I'm not sure what passing style I should choose, since it's a mixture of two things. I'm not sure about the tempo either, since it's also should be a mixture of two things, depending of the situation.

Should I ask my defensive players to hold up the ball?

Why have you manually set tempo and width? What was the reasoning behind that? You'll not get the full use of some of the shouts now.

I increased the width since my counter attacks should take place on the wings...and the default width is narrow. I thought it would damage my attacking game.

The tempo was a mistake, the default tempo is the same one. I've set it back to default now.

Archived