From small beginnings come great things

CybrSlydr

Sure, we've won numerous US, MLS and NA Cups, but today tops them all.

Since my Columbus Crew won the NA Cup, we qualified for the Club World Cup. We easily dispatched the African team 4-1 which put us in the Semi-Final against... Barcelona.

If we lost by two goals or less, I would be pleased. I mean, Barca is one of the best teams IN THE WORLD. Knowing this, I decided to play a 4-1-3-2 Defensive and Balanced. Two FB(D), two LD(D) 1 DM(A), 2 CM(DLP), 1 CM(AP), 1 ST(DLF) and 1 ST(P). My thoughts is keep Midfielders back aside from one to feed balls to the Strikers to try and score on a break.

So, imagine my surprise when half-time rolls around and we're still level 0-0. Do I dare dream?? Suddenly, in injury time (45+1), one of my Strikers SCORES!!!! I go into the half AHEAD of Barca!!!

I'm absolutely thrilled with my team and tell them that. They respond with delight.

We start the second half and things proceed as they had in the first. My keeper steps up for a free kick in our penalty box. He lofts it down field and my CM(AP) competes for the ball and heads it forward - right to my ST(P) who is sitting on the offsides line between their CDs. He knocks the ball forward and slots it past their keeper!!! HOLY CRAP, I'M UP TWO GOALS ON BARCA!!!

I cross my fingers, watching as time ticks by, SO SLOWLY. 70th Minute. 75th Minute, 80th Minute... Is this really happening???

2 minutes of injury time - come on guys, don't stop now!!!! 93rd Minute... REF BLOWS FOR FULL TIME!!!! OMFG!! MY TEAM BEAT BARCA AND WE'RE INTO THE CWC FINALS!!!!!!!!! WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! (I literally jumped out of my chair pumping my fists and shouting with joy) We now face Sao Paulo in the CWC Finals.

When I was about half way through the MLS regular season, I thought to myself, "This is the best team I've coached in the 11 seasons I've been head coach". In the MLS season we scored 77 goals and allowed 31. Defense was always stellar in the season, mostly because I have two very good DMs and one stellar CD. I also have a very young but talented keeper (56 apperances, 39 concessions). We don't blow anyone out, but we have depth and talent, especially in the ST/AM area. One ST scored 30 goals so far this year and another has scored 25. Not league leading numbers, but with a stout defense, more than enough.

I'm just so thrilled I had to stop by and share - I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post it, but if not, I know the mods will know where to put it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybrslydr/8237130028/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybrslydr/8236109505/in/photostream

However, three weeks before the MLS Final game that year, I received a job offer from Valencia. I tried to delay my decision until after the Final game but they wouldn't be delayed that long. So... I took the job.

Here's what I accomplished in my 11 years at Columbus Crew.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybrslydr/8243450551/in/photostream - Profile Overview

I look forward to a successful career in the Liga BBVA, we'll see what happens. :)

Archived