[13.1.3] The Oak Tree - almost promoted with total underdogs, 2,35 ppm

I have been the manager of Dąb Dąbrowa Białostocka for 8 years now and I got promoted twice, so I am now in I liga, which is the second level of the pyramid. I am also the poorest club with the smallest stadium, lowest wage budget and ****** reputation. With my previous tactic, which I thought was excellent, I still managed to finish 9th last year and stay in the league without any problems. This year, after a similar autumn, I decided to change the way I play and I began my winning spree. Counting only the spring season, I got 40 points (22 in the autumn), thus achieving a phenomenal 2,35 points per match ratio. I almost got promoted with my awfully bad bunch of amateurs, missing the trip of my dreams by one point only.

So now - how do I play?

This is basically a plug-and-play tactic, with no tweaking needed. You may want to work with set pieces though, as I rarely have the time or will to play with their settings. The only thing I change during the game is - if after first 15 minutes things are going south (or before the game if it's a difficult away game) - mentality to defensive plus I use the shout play wider (it's because with my passing settings defensive mentality makes my formation too narrow).

The formation

This is a very unique formation, using the back three, the defensive midfielder, one central midfielder, two wide midfielders, two central inside forwards and the poacher. Thus, it can be put in numbers as 3-1-3-2-1. Pretty strange, huh? But it works!

The instructions

I like to keep it simple. I use roles and team instructions only, without changing any individual sliders. I guess if you have better passers than my mailmen and barbers, you can experiment with a more direct passing style. My boys pass short. Also, man marking works much better than zonal marking in FM 13, thus it's set here.

The screenshots

czZc5.png

This is somewhere close to the season's end. As you can see, I dominate against everyone and the big fish scored only 4 goals against me (!).

XOJsm.png

And here is the final table. Mind that the first half of the season was played with some other tactics and this one was under constant development. Had I played with The Oak Tree full-season, I would have finished 1st with 80 points.

The link

http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/35167626/file.html - updated 20.12.2012

You are welcome to test my newest child and please share your opinions, results and screenshots. Good luck!

Already in the new season, I am leading the league comfortably, with fewest goals conceded. My lone striker - Hansjorg Unger - is the league's top scorer with 10 goals and my goalkeeper - Piotr Lipka - has kept 8 clean sheets in 11 games.

rlL4k.png

Anyone giving it a shot?

Fitness training on hard level plus defensive set pieces as match prep.

The season's over and I got promoted to the top division with my capacity 1000 stadium and multi-million debt. Of course the board won't build or expand my stadium because of lack of funds. The same case is with training and youth facilities ;)

02bUF.png

So, my first season in the top division is over. Not only did I manage to get to the Europa League through league finish, i would also get there because i am a finalist of the FA Cup. For the whole season, I played with counter or defensive strategy, plus play wider shout.

League table:

URhah.png

Cup final:

r4UDE.jpg

I have been playing FM a long time my friend. I have never encountered a tougher time than this version. I have read countless posts from cleon to Rashidi to blogs to you name it. I have honestly held about 20 jobs since the demo. FIRED from everyone of them. My latest was a serieB team and I was fired last night after 20 games haha. I took a job a Torquay. Team is a mess. First game I go 4*5*1 following advice on closing up shop and as usual creating my own tactic. The team was already familar with 4*5*1 so I went with it. I got HAMMERED 4-0 hahaha. I actually came here and said out of pure frustration I am downloading the first tactic I see and putting it in ....first time I have done this on this years version and thats over TWENTY jobs so far.

I take your tactic, pop it in, choose my awful players, and set shout to play wider.

I flippin won 4-2 HAHAHAHAHA.

HOW IN THE WORLD CAN I SIT HERE FOR HOURS CREATING TACTICS AND TRAINING AND READING AND UNDERSTANDING can I finally win for my first time (including my job in serie b) in 21 matches? (yes you heard the right ... I didnt win a single game in serieb)

WHAT HE HECK DID YOU DO HERE TURN MY PLAYERS INTO PROPER FOOTBALLERS IN A SINGLE MATCH?

They passed the ball and if not for my atrocious striker he could have bagged 5 easy.

I outshot them 15-4 with 7 on target and SIX ... yes SIX CCC's.

From what I can tell you seem to have hit a sweet spot in duties and roles. The players are played nice and tight and passed very closely.

The amount of through balls was insane.

I will run another game with it and let you know but for now ...here is a thank you for my first win in 21 games..... unreal....all that time I spent making tactics and here I plug one in and you have what I have been looking for.

Thank you

B

So, my first season in the top division is over. Not only did I manage to get to the Europa League through league finish, i would also get there because i am a finalist of the FA Cup. For the whole season, I played with counter or defensive strategy, plus play wider shout.

League table:

URhah.png

Cup final:

r4UDE.jpg

So, is the start mentaliity 'Standard' or 'Defensive'/'Counter?

Game #2 at home drew 1-1 which if not for a stupid corner kick that bounced around my box for 30 seconds would have been a clean sheet.

I had 14 shots they had 5

Again I had 7 on target they had 2

I had 2 CCC's they had 0

My DM (D) got injured ...this may not be good hahaha. He is one of the better players.

I had 3 players with over 50 pass attempts (one with 60)

6 TOTAL key passes today the most on an individual was 2

Right now I am playing COUNTER as a starting mentality, so you need to change that when you download the tactic. Still I use PLAY WIDER from the beginning. If things go south, I use DEFENSIVE.

The beginning of a new season:

Dab Dabrowa - Amkar Perm 2:0

Amkar Perm - Dab Dabrowa 1:5 (!!!)

That was my debut in European Cups. 5 goals away in Russia! Now I got Monaco and we'll see what we can do. We also won the Super Cup against Legia.

Game # 3

away vs Barnett who were favored 6-4 where as I was 13-8 underdog

At 0-0 my striker hit in the 62nd minute but it was disallowed ...GRRRR

They scored on a cross to the far post in the 76th minute

1-0 is how it finished

Shots were 6 with 1 on target for us and 5 with 3 on target for them. They had 1 CCC to our 0

4 players reached 50+ passes but only a total of 2 key passes today

One thing I continually noticed was my team getting beat to the ball and not able to latch onto the through balls. We were slow today.

i will take 1-0 on the road as heavy underdogs though compared to my 4-0 thrashing the other day :)

Onto game 4

Ok next up is away at Rotherham who is sitting at #2 in the table. On your above post I will now switch to counter.

This is going to be a tough match. Sitting currently in the 24th spot (last) in the table.

When I took the job the board said to avoid relegation. So I have 13 games left and will run the course using The Oak Tree tactic to see if it steers me clear. 8 points separate me from relegation right now.

Dab Dabrowa - Monaco 3:3

Monaco's attack is composed of top strikers from French and Argentinian national teams. I still managed to snatch a home draw. Only a draw, as my goalie ended up getting 6.2. Probably I'll be eliminated, 'cause they have 3 away goals, but it was an amazing result anyway.

Monaco - Dab Dabrowa 1:2 (!)

I don't know how I'm doing that, but I've just eliminated a team whose one player is worth more than my whole team all together. Now I am in Europa League group phase :D :D :D

T0gWw.png

This is a historic win!

Game # 4 away at Rotherham

They had a player sent off in the 16th minute

And as has been the case with EVERY send off (I am not kidding) they score within 5 minutes of the player going off..... I have NO IDEA why this happens to me.... I have tracked it and this is the 4th time this has happened to me with a sending off in this version.

This time it was an odd man rush with a pass to the wing to a WIDE open forward for a tap in. It is incredibly frustrating.

Anyways ..down 1-0 in the 18th minute now...and man as this game goes on ... my finishing is POOR ... I mean POOR ....missing some serious sitters ....

and that's how it finished ...another 1-0 loss

We fired off 19 shots while putting 8 on target and 2 CCC's

How bad is this team? hahaha

I switched to counter this match and no one hit the 50 pass mark and I had a total of 3 key passes made.

We were heavy underdogs again on the road and lost 1-0 but we are creating chances...just not putting them in.

I like this tactic and the football it plays. Like I said ... I am going to play out the schedule (if i don't get fired yet again) using this tactic to give it a fair run.

I must be the worst FM manager in history. This is so depressing.

Relegated.

I breezed through the final 2 games as everyone asked for a transfer and no one wanted to play.

I took the job ...and with this tactic here is how I did :

4 wins

5 losses

7 draws

Scored : 21

Concede: 23

Ho-Hum. Back to the job hunt.....

19 points in 16 matches. That's over 1 point per match. Given your situation in the league and (I guess) poor morale, it's a very good result. If you had played this way all season, you would have easily stayed up.

and ....the good news is I was wrong. I kept clicking when the season was over waiting for the sacking ...they offered me a new contract ... I will now take The Oak Tree to the Blue Square Premier and try to win promotion with it. Of course ... I am going to need to build the squad back up since everyone is bailing on me.

Good luck :) And I'm gonna keep fighting in Poland. I hope to win the championship this year, as Lechia Tomaszow lost some power, so I only have to worry about Legia and Lech. Both have much better players than me, but well - I eliminated Amkar and Monaco, who are much better than both of my local rivals :D My group in Europa League is: Vitoria Guimaraes, Fenerbahce and Fiorentina. Not bad :> I'll try to upset some odds.

Oh, and everyone should be aware of one thing: defensive mentality doesn't mean you will sit back all the time. In fact, I won 5:0 away using defensive mentality. It just means you are going to build up slowly from the back.

And what are you doing when facing weaker opponents? I am playing Wisla Krakow with this tactic and while being able to draw with FC Barcelona, quite often I am struggling with weaker opponents (let's say I am in top three and playing with team from bottom five). Are you changing mentality to more offensive?

Well, as my reputation is much lower than most teams, I haven't experienced this problem yet. Still, when I play against lower league teams in the cup, I just play counter and it's ok.

Using Bradford park avenue, I had managed to get them promoted first season using a 442 and 4411 which i had created. This tactic also worked for a while during the start of the season in the Blue Square Bet premiership but then seemed to drop off so needed some idea's/ a base to start with. Saw this tactic and was sceptical at first but it has worked wonders, even though there is only 3 defenders at the back the team seems so much stronger and the squad just runs the midfield due to the numbers there.

If your using this tactic aswell read other threads about what to do with shouts/ what situations are best to use which shout cause they make a big big difference aswell, Had one game where i hadn't had a shot threw some of the recommended shouts on and scored 2 goals! Brilliant!

Will post some screenies up once a few more games have been played. Many thanks for the tactic.

crap. gave it a try in a cup match, me being FC BAYERN MUNCHEN (i have bad players such neymar in my squad, although i played subs)

rival being 2nd division stars Union Berlin

i lost 1-0, obviously as it was a test game, and another huge lie of the ME it wont stand and will be replayed, with the tactics i been using. im undefeated in all season but not happy about the way i win, almost throwing away won games... but this... get scored with a cross with an unknown forward outjumping players such as papadopoulos or neuer... no... maybe your tactic isnt as bad... but ME is getting worser every day...

starting a new game is my last hope i think, as thing stands, i dont know to think if developers are blind or they think that football consist on throwing up the ball to sky and expect that when it falls the opponent make a mistake... if thats football for them ill just suggest them to play it with a square shaped ball, at it ll be flying all time, and no will no matter if it doesnt roll on the ground.

same match, same players, same team talk i won 3-1

so, with your tactic your polish team is better than Bayern Munich itself... another proof of how SI is doing with the match engine

Vami this is really great work. Was going incredibly well for me with my San Marino save and then the patch came out which led to.... patchy form.

Could you let me know how you've tweaked the tactic for the new patch (I know theres a link but I just wanted to hear your reasoning for the changes).

Well I tried changing some roles, trying to get one of the wide midfielders to be more attacking-minded than the other, also the defenders' settings changed. Right now I am experimenting with "exploit the wings" when playnig against 4-1-3-2 and "exploit the middle" when playing wing-friendly teams. I won the Polish Cup, got to the Best 16 of Europa League, but I finished 10th (!) in the league. The patched ruined my game.

Archived