Are you a proactive or reactive manager?

Would you guys(/chicks?) describe yourselves as proactive or reactive managers?

By that I mean do you foresee your challenges and make your changes well in advance or do you allow for a situation to play out with your trusted set-up and then make changes after you see how things unfold?

It depends on who my opponent is. If it's a game I'm expected to win or not lose too heavily I'll stick with my usual tactics and react if things start going wrong but if it's an opponent I'm expected to get crushed by, I'll usually adopt a different tactic more defensively minded.

I'd do my best to be pro-active and go out for the win where possible, but if it is a match i may lose or struggle with, then I may take a striker out and put in a DM, or perhaps a CB to counter a specific threat but try to keep an attacking ability on the pitch, unless I know iv got no chance, in which case I'd go for possession in order to keep it 0-0

I am mostly proactive. Before the match begins, I've already made a plan of:

-I will use x formation for this opponent with x rating

-if my opponent changes formation in the middle of the match, I will do x

-if I go a man down or up, I will do x or x

-I will use x mentality to go for x result

-I will counter one-striker formation by doing x

-I will man mark x player

-If I'm leading after half-time, I will do x

-If I'm losing after half-time, I will sub out x

-and so on

Then when the match starts, I just do the things I planned to do. But I also watch the match, of course, to see intangibles that I hadn't though of. When I spot problems (aka consistently losing to teams I should be beating), then I experiment with my tactics to see what is the problem. In short, most of the time I am proactive, and sometimes I am reactive when something happens that I hadn't considered. For example, if out of the blue a central defender decided to come forward, I am not really sure what to do but I watch for a little to see the effects on the ME. So the more FM I play, the more proactive I become as I am not surprised as often as before and don't need to experiment as much. But I love this game because after playing for thousands of hours, there are still things I have to learn. It is satisfying to learn something new after having played something for that long.

Unless you are running an incredibly strong team I think you have to be both..... and that is what I do.

I use scout reports and squad stats (oppositions) to see where the threats are coming from and I'll either make changes before the game or certainly look for those specific threats I even made a thread on it.

But I will also use the analysis tab during the game and watch a fair bit of the game too........

I'd say i'm reactive in the sense that I change things if I see something happening in a match - particularly when it's against a formation I don't play against very often, but before a match I set out a plan depending on the opponent formation, players and team analysis

I think for myself I take more of a reactive stance.

According to me analysis statistics over my last season I approached 22 of 30 league games with my 'usual' tactic (flat 4-3-3)

6 of 30 league games was with a subtle adaptation (central midfielder dropped to DM, 4-1-2-3)

2 of 30 league games I made another subtle change. (keeping the with the DM, the two of the three strikers are moved a slot wider to play in the corner positions)

It shows some slight proactivity but the majority of my changes take place as a reaction to what happens, most often through shouts. I'm a fan of the 'pass into space' and 'get ball forward' combination. I also regularly switch between wide and narrow play. But I rarely make changes before '55-60' minutes in. Unless my team is being ripped apart.

Reactive, and not very. I have my tactic and play it out for 60 minutes no matter what. Then I make 3 subs taking off the lowest condition players, and play out the last 30. I may go a hint more defensive/attacking as appropriate for the last 15 minutes or a bit longer in cups, but I would say 9 out of 10 games I just have my tactic for the whole match and only ever sub based on condition.

I very much doubt this is good management!

My team will dictate the way a game is played, other teams have to deal with my team, not the other way around. I'll tweak a tactic if I'm suffering, but 99/100 times I'll just change mentality and make subs.

I do have a very strong team though, so it's to be expected that I dominate games.

Extremely reactive, and reactive in the extreme.

If we go a goal down, it's all-out, take-more-risks attack, people pushed forwards etc. In my mind there's no difference between losing 1-0 and 8-0- a defeat is a defeat.

Likewise, if we go ahead, it's very much a case of doing everything we can to protect the lead, rather than looking to expand it.

I set up 3 tactics. An attacking one, a defensive one and one where all my best players are on the field.

I usually start with that last tactic but I also check the oppositions tactics and depending on what they use and what I am expecting of the game (win/lose) I select one of the 3 tactics. If it works then I'll leave it, if it turns out bad, I'll change the tactics.

I don't bother scouting every player of the opposition and finding the weakness, if I find that one player is a constant threat, then I'll modify the line up to counter the danger.

Extremely reactive, and reactive in the extreme.

If we go a goal down, it's all-out, take-more-risks attack, people pushed forwards etc. In my mind there's no difference between losing 1-0 and 8-0- a defeat is a defeat.

Likewise, if we go ahead, it's very much a case of doing everything we can to protect the lead, rather than looking to expand it.

Reminds me a bit of AVB, whenever they are up it's a striker off, when they're down its a midfielder for a striker.

Definitely reactive when it comes to playing the opposition. Always the same formation (4-3-3 Barca Style) best players possible. Play whoever's in front of me.

However, when it comes to monitoring my team, I'm proactive. If I have a run of 3 games in a week, I will chose the game I'm either most likely to lose (Vs Man City/Utd/Chelsea) or a team I could beat easily (lower league teams in the cup) I'll play a weakend XI, if I'm going to lose, I might as well keep players fit - Mick McCarthy got fined for doing this for Wolves and he's a *****. But hey ho.

And also, I make my reserves play my U18s when I only have 1 game a week or an international break etc and then anyone who isn't match fit goes in the reserve team so they are ready for the next game. Obviously, the trick with this is to make sure the reserve game isn't too close to the first team game so they're not tired..

Neither proactive nor reactive during matches. I'm very reluctant to any kind of changes to both tactics and players. Yesterday i played a match where the result was 0-0 until the 80th minute and my obviously best player and striker had the rating of 5,8 for most of the game. He was not good that day, i was thinking of subbing him from the 55th minute and it was a living hell to stick to my general rule but then in the 81st minute he struck once, then he assisted in the 85th and scored one more in added time, he ended with a rating of 8,8 and we won 3-0.

Between matches i do change players in my starting lineup, i take calculated risks and play backup players to rest the key players in games that i believe i can win even without my best players but in these matches if things go wrong i sub in the regulars to try to repair the damage, but I never change the tactic.

Archived