Asymetric Tactic - Which Full Back should attack?

Hi guys,

I'm tinkering with a asymetric verstion of the 4-5-1/4-3-3 I'm currently using.

My plan is to have a flat back 4 with one full back and one wing-back. Then I'll have DM (on defend), a central midfielder DLP (support) Attacking midfielder (Attacking Playmaker - Attack), a CF (support) and two wide players. I'll have Raheem Sterling as an inside forward (attack) as either AML or AMR and Suso as either ML or MR playing as a winger or wide midfielder (on support).

My question is if I want Alaba (my left wing-back) to be quite attacking, should I protect him with a Wide midfielder or give him space by putting him behind Sterling (my Inside Forward)?

You can try the last option you said, attacking wingback on the left with an inside forward in front of him to give him enough space. Also I think it can be usefull to give Alaba the stick to side-line instruction for wide play. And to compensate the space that might open on your left side, you could set your DM one slot to the left (DMCL)?

I prefer the DM to sit right in the hole and I want him to be in passing range of my AP and WM. I will have Joe Allen at MCl if the inside forward is on the left. Would it possibly be worth making the MCl a BWM and make my DM my DLP I instead?

I thought this was going to be a simple question but it really isnt :)

Both of your ideas have loads of merit but they drastically change how you'll end up playing. If you want to attack quickly then it probably makes sense for the DL to push right up (behind the IF) as a quick attack may naturally change through AML and it'll help give him support. Conversely if you attack slowly then the DR pushing up could be good - give the MR time to interest the opposing fullback and then double up with the DR moving beyond. With the DR pushing forward you also add the IF to the list of cross targets, something that will be less available for the DL so depending on how many crosses you want to be firing in that could be a consideration.

I think I'd agree with the full back hugging the line (although I'm always tempted to try and swap things around and have the midfielder go wide and the full back cut inside, sounds odd but I've seen some examples where it worked well, Glen Johnson did it regularly for a while to great effect).

In order to further support my suggestion ;) I'd like to also recommend having the MCL as the more defensive one in your set-up. He would then be able to provide cover if your attacking FB is cought.

If you make your MCL an BWM you should be aware that he will press more and therefore be out of position a bit more often. If you do so I would certainly recommend giving him a defend duty, not a support one.

btw if the AMR is a winger the FBa may even be another target for his crosses :)

I have an Athletic Bilbao game currently with a lob-sided 4-3-3. An advanced playmaker is tucked behind the striker (though not on the left wing) while a right winger creates width on the right. The idea is to overload the right and create space for Iker Muniain who is playing in the hole as the advanced playmaker. As a consequence I channel the majority of my attack down the right with an attacking wing-back and on the left a full-back advances when he sees fit. Its early days but it is the best I've seen the 4-3-3 shape work in FM13.

Archived