Learn To Fly

Wag

Saturday 21st July 2001

Hello, Firstly I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Jamie Waggett and yesterday I was appointed manager of newly promoted Welsh Premiership side Airbus UK. This is my first managerial appointment and I take over from the man who bought me to this club in the first place - Rob Lythe.

After the clubs surprise promotion from the Cymru Alliance League Rob felt he wouldn't be able to give the club all the time it needed and subsequently stepped aside, the chairman Mr Sutton immediately made it clear I was the man who he wanted to take charge, so here I am. I was very surprised to be given the chance but I don't mind after all I'm at that stage now as a player where this season was possibly going to be my last anyway - after all I am thirty-six years old. I think being the oldest member of last seasons squad, as well as being the only one with any coaching qualifications - although minimal, might have had something to do with it though.

Yes, I was a player, something I'll be carrying on as for this season at least, although I guess our small support might ask why? At my age most players hang up their boots - especially once they get the chance at management or concentrate on either coaching or ventures outside of the game, but I just don't fancy doing that just yet - football is all I've ever known, I would quite frankly and more sadly on my part be lost without it. To be honest this appointment is possibly the highlight of my career, one full of low-lights I guess you could say - this isn't going to be one of those "I could have been a contender" stories. It was pretty obvious to me and the majority of the managers I've served under I was never going to be anything more than a solid pro, although for quite some time now I've been strictly amateur, or semi-professional as it's now sometimes known.

My first club were Derby County and they'll always be in my heart. This, despite them releasing me at nineteen, without making a single appearance for the first team. You see, I was born in Derby and grew up supporting the club, basically from birth. I saw them lift two First Division titles during the seventies and then struggle against mediocrity during the early eighties before again getting into the top flight before their subsequent relegation, then promotion and latterly relegation, again.

From there I spent an unsuccessful spell at Chesterfield - twenty-five games and twelve goals, not bad you might say, it was however stretched out over four years. Next was a series of unsuccesful trials with a few clubs and played a season in the reserves at Cardiff City, before eventually decided it was the time to drop out of the league, this time to join Barry Town - I was just twenty six.

As my career as a professional footballer was effectively over, I felt it was time to earn some money outside of the game, I started working in a small office but played regularly for the Dragons over a seven year spell where the club and myself enjoyed a lot of success. When they went professional I decided it was time to move on as I didn't want to, and really couldn't commit to the training regimes. I joined Cymru Alliance side Lex IX, scoring a fair few goals in the process but things eventually went sour so when Rob Lythe offered me the chance to join Airbus UK, I did.

As a player I'm a bit of a jack-of-all-trades. I started out as an out-and-out striker - I had pace, was strong and somehow had a knack of always being in the right place at the right time but as I grew older my pace faded, as so often is the case and I dropped back slightly, playing either as second striker, in central midfield or out wide on the right. To be honest, I didn't mind where I played - just as long as I did.

As a person I like to think of myself as calm and approachable, something I hope will stand me in good stead as a manager. This is going to be a monumental season for the club and I just hope we can make the step up and survive - both on the pitch and fiscally - the chairman might not like the thought of having to put money into the side but if we're to stand any chance, then quite frankly he's going to have to.

Saturday 21st July 2001

Hello, Firstly I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Jamie Waggett and yesterday I was appointed manager of newly promoted Welsh Premiership side Airbus UK. This is my first managerial appointment and I take over from the man who bought me to this club in the first place - Rob Lythe.

After the clubs surprise promotion from the Cymru Alliance League Rob felt he wouldn't be able to give the club all the time it needed and subsequently stepped aside, the chairman Mr Sutton immediately made it clear I was the man who he wanted to take charge, so here I am. I was very surprised to be given the chance but I don't mind after all I'm at that stage now as a player where this season was possibly going to be my last anyway - after all I am thirty-six years old. I think being the oldest member of last seasons squad, as well as being the only one with any coaching qualifications - although minimal, might have had something to do with it though.

Yes, I was a player, something I'll be carrying on as for this season at least, although I guess our small support might ask why? At my age most players hang up their boots - especially once they get the chance at management or concentrate on either coaching or ventures outside of the game, but I just don't fancy doing that just yet - football is all I've ever known, I would quite frankly and more sadly on my part be lost without it. To be honest this appointment is possibly the highlight of my career, one full of low-lights I guess you could say - this isn't going to be one of those "I could have been a contender" stories. It was pretty obvious to me and the majority of the managers I've served under I was never going to be anything more than a solid pro, although for quite some time now I've been strictly amateur, or semi-professional as it's now sometimes known.

My first club were Derby County and they'll always be in my heart. This, despite them releasing me at nineteen, without making a single appearance for the first team. You see, I was born in Derby and grew up supporting the club, basically from birth. I saw them lift two First Division titles during the seventies and then struggle against mediocrity during the early eighties before again getting into the top flight before their subsequent relegation, then promotion and latterly relegation, again.

From there I spent an unsuccessful spell at Chesterfield - twenty-five games and twelve goals, not bad you might say, it was however stretched out over four years. Next was a series of unsuccesful trials with a few clubs and played a season in the reserves at Cardiff City, before eventually decided it was the time to drop out of the league, this time to join Barry Town - I was just twenty six.

As my career as a professional footballer was effectively over, I felt it was time to earn some money outside of the game, I started working in a small office but played regularly for the Dragons over a seven year spell where the club and myself enjoyed a lot of success. When they went professional I decided it was time to move on as I didn't want to, and really couldn't commit to the training regimes. I joined Cymru Alliance side Lex IX, scoring a fair few goals in the process but things eventually went sour so when Rob Lythe offered me the chance to join Airbus UK, I did.

As a player I'm a bit of a jack-of-all-trades. I started out as an out-and-out striker - I had pace, was strong and somehow had a knack of always being in the right place at the right time but as I grew older my pace faded, as so often is the case and I dropped back slightly, playing either as second striker, in central midfield or out wide on the right. To be honest, I didn't mind where I played - just as long as I did.

As a person I like to think of myself as calm and approachable, something I hope will stand me in good stead as a manager. This is going to be a monumental season for the club and I just hope we can make the step up and survive - both on the pitch and fiscally - the chairman might not like the thought of having to put money into the side but if we're to stand any chance, then quite frankly he's going to have to.

Guest Lamp-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Waggett

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

must....resist......restisting...

icon_biggrin.gif good start, looking forward to more of it.

Sunday 22nd July 2001

You would think that with nearly a full month (twenty-eight days to be exact) to go until our first league game that we'd be well into pre-season training by now, but well unfortunately you'd be wrong. One thing I didn't realise when I decided to take over as manager was just why Rob was stepping aside. The reason is that last seasons squad have all decided not to make the step up - deciding instead to concentrate on earning a living whilst playing regularly at lower levels - fair play to them, but it's left me with a massive headache. At the moment the playing squad stands at well - ME! Bloody hell, what have I let myself in for.

Fortunately I'm not alone at the ground today, yes I'm dedicated aren't I? Coming in on a Sunday! Lee Evans - the clubs lone scout is here (boy is he going to be busy), as is physio Phil Martin (hopefully he won't be) and I'm glad, I needed the company.

When I said ground just, well it's not actually our ground as this season and possibly for sometime to come we'll be playing at Conwy United's 'Morfa Conwy,' it holds some four thousand spectators and is just slightly better than our actually ground - situated inside the grounds of the Aircraft factory in Broughton. Yes, I did say Aircraft Factory. I think it's time I filled you in on the brief history of Airbus UK. I'll let the Welsh Premiership web site take over for a bit...

"The club was formed 1946 and has played in both Chester & district League and Wrexham area. Their last move into the Welsh pryamid system saw them canter into the Welsh National League (Wrexham area) Division Two title during the 1991-92 season. Which they won it by a clear 19 points from Gresford Reserves.

In that season they won 28 of their 34 matches and scored a remarkable 130 goals, an average of almost four goals a game. They also reached the NEWFA cup final losing narrowly to Gresford.

They then spent four seasons in Division One, the first two seasons they finished sixth while in third season they finished two places better in fourth. Season 1995/96 however saw a further promotion. They could only finish runners up to Wrexham Colts at the end of the campaign, but it was enough to see them move into the Premier Division of the Welsh National League along with the Colts.

Once again they spent four seasons in the division, the first two saw steady consolidation in finishing 7th and 6th. The 1998/99 season saw them push hard for the title but they could only finish runners up a mere two points behind eventual champions Corwen.

The following season they went one better and won the title with 21 victories from 30 matches. They ran out champions by four points ahead of Ruthin Town and Penycae. This meant promotion once again, this time into the Cymru Alliance League for the first time in their history. To coincide with the promotion the club changed its name from British Aerospace to Airbus UK.

Their first season in the Cymru Alliance was something of a struggle, but they eventually finished the season a creditable 11th place with 10 wins and 14 defeats in their foot and mouth-disrupted season. As was the pattern with the club after previous promotions, the second season saw a steady improvement and last season the club finished in eighth spot with 16 wins.

The Wingmakers, as they are known, have carried out steady improvements to their ground sited just inside the massive Airbus Works in Broughton. A new stand has been built, with proposed changing rooms just behind still in the building phase. The pitch has been enclosed, but as yet has only one side of the ground hard standing.

The club is clearly ambitious. Last season they achieved their highest ever finish of fifth spot in the Cymru Alliance League and reached the NEWFA cup final,losing narrowly on penalties.

Now firmly established as Airbus UK, the club has changed its name with the factory - Vickers-Armstrong, de Havilands, Hawker Siddeley, British Aerospace and Bae Systems."

...Different isn't it?

Now where's that Rothmans Annual...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skiddaw:

Wag - 2 things...

1) You wanna mean you abandoned the blucerchiati icon_frown.gif

2) You beat me with the Welsh story. I've got one planned and written out just to post... It'll be here in a week or shortly less <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd never abandon the blucerchiati, this story is already finished so I thought I would post it up icon_smile.gif

I'm merely at the beginning with the Sampdoria one, which has a long way to run (I hope)

Btw, you can never have enough Welsh stories. Trying to challenge in Europe is worthy of a story in itself.

Monday 23rd July 2001

With our lovely lack of players and desperation setting in, well our first friendly is on Wednesday! I've put out a mammoth call to all clubs in Wales, England, Scotland, Ireland and Northern Ireland as well as contacting a few agents slightly further afield - basically if a player wants a game, we'll be more than happy to look at him and give him a game - if we think he's up to it, he'll get a contract. Simple this management lark, one problem - so far no takers. Suddenly I'm getting a sinking feeling from my stomach.

It's increased when Mr Sutton calls me to talk to me about finances. Like him, it's not pretty. I'll have no funds to pay fees for players this season and it's unlikely I'll have any next season either, or the season after that and so on. Apparently, somehow, Mr Sutton doesn't seem to know how but we are £375,000 in debt. Lovely, no wonder Rob didn't want to stick around!

Tuesday 24th July 2001

With our friendly at 'home' to English Second Division side Chesterfield just twenty-four hours away I make my first signings for the club, albeit on loan. Yes! Signings - four to be exact - Peter Cormack, a left back from Scottish Third Division side Albion Rovers, another left back Emrys Williams from fellow Welsh Premier side Caernarfon Town, striker Matthew Price from Haverfordwest County and Floyd Gilmour, also a striker from Irish side Derry City. Training was interesting, still not quite enough for a decent game though. I don't think the lads quite realise what they've put themselves in for.

Wednesday 25th July 2001

After yesterdays small intake, we got quite a big one today, although to be fair most of these transfers came late, late, last night and I mean late - one joining at 1.45 am. The new signings are;- (and all on loan, I must add) defender Jeremy Chandler and striker Kevin Bartley, both from Afan Lido. While three come from English sides - striker Stuart Payne from Halesowen, another striker in Margate's Phil Collins (hopefully his shooting is better than his singing!), Cwmbran Town midfielder Sean Wharton, two from Newtown AFC forward Ben Bannon and another striker in Mark Williams. Finally, and importantly goalkeeper Lee Marshall from Sutton United. God Bless you Lee! Finally someone to take shots at in training! Shooting practice here we come! But training will have to wait, still no permanent signings though, although things are starting to come together.

I decided to spring a surprise on the supporters and name three trialists in the starting line-up, they have a fair bit of pedigree - former Blackburn and Wolves midfielder Mark Atkins is perhaps the most well known, David Hughes plays in defence having been released by Barry Town while at right back we have the unfamiliar face of Somavilla, a thirty-three-year-old Spaniard - the joys of the Internet!

We line-up in a five-three-two formation - Lee Marshall in goal - a defence of Cormack, Williams, Hughes, Chandler and Somavilla - in midfield Atkins, Wharton and Bannon - up front Bartley and Price. David Hughes captains the side. I don't really know what to expect to be honest, as I write this we're minutes from kick-off and I think we'll get hammered, but it's all a learning experience.

The first half is practically a blur - but does feature two goals, we nearly go in front straight from the kick-off but Ben Bannon shoots high and wide after being teed up up by Sean Wharton and we're soon punished as Carl Muggleton's long goal kick falls inviting to Chris Brandon who in turn chips a quick through-ball over the defence. Glynn Hurst races onto it and nods it past Lee Marshall, not the best of starts but with just two minutes on the clock, we have plenty of time to recover. Which is exactly what we do. Just before half-time Bannon again has a shot, this time it's on target and forces Muggleton into a good save, but he can't hold it and following up is Matthew Price, who from an acute angle rams the ball home.

The second half lacks incident as both teams basically play out time, I decided to bring myself on at half-time in place on Ben Bannon, he'd impressed enough. But soon I'm regretting it as I last only twenty-four minutes. I'd never been the most agile of players and I don't know what went through my mind as I attempted to get on the end of a Somavilla cross, stretching too far I collided with the back post and the subsequent twisted knee it provided, fortunately it's not too serious - ten days out at most - but perhaps I should reconsider the playing aspect of my contract.

Thursday 26th July 2001

I have to say Mark Atkins, David Hughes and Somavilla all did enough last night and were soon being welcomed into the club on a permanent basis. Joining them are a whole host of players - finally we're making inroads in the transfer market; - forwards Ramon Calliste, Kurt Nogan, defender Rhodri Thomas and veteran defender Mark Hughes. While Scott Williams, a defensive midfielder joins the club as a player/coach as does Neil Rimmer, a right winger. Defender Darren Bradshaw, midfielder Laurence Laffan and Dutch midfielder Jan-Harm Schippers. Austrian forward Michael Peischi, French defender Ludovic Troussier, forward Danny Stevens, defender Simon Morgan, midfielder Valentine Owen, The permanent signings mean some of the loan ones will be returning to their clubs, I'll make a decision about this tomorrow but tonight gives the club another game - English Premiership side Everton coming to the 'Morfa'

I decide to give some of the permanent signings a go tonight so we line-up with goalkeeper Lee Marshall as the only loan player in the starting eleven. As it is the new players don't start well and as in the Chesterfield game we concede early, just this time it's twice and we don't come back. Thomas Gravesen and Tomasz Radzinski the scorers as Everton stroll to a 0-2 victory. It's a good run out and we don't embarrass ourselves in front of a crowd of 1,529. Former Cardiff trainee David Hughes looks the pick of the new signings.

Friday 27th July 2001

One of the hardest things in management must be telling someone you've got to let them go. Fortunately the loan signings all take it well and aren't too despondent, returning to their clubs are defenders Cormack, Chandler and E. Williams as are the strikers five - Bartley, Collins, Gilmour, Payne and M. Williams all surplus to requirements.

Part of the reason for this is today saw eight new faces arrive striker Clive Mendonca, midfielder Craig Draper, left back David Blair, midfielder Jeremy Goss, midfielder Leon Bell and left sided utility man Jamie Michael, goalkeeper Lee Worgan and forward Andrew Martin.

This influx of players has come as a surprise to me, when I made my plea I didn't expect such an interest, although it's certainly good to know their are players out there.

Saturday 28th July 2001

I decide to terminate the loan contracts of three more players - Matthew Price, Sean Wharton and Ben Bannon all go home. This leaves Lee Marshall as the only player on loan at the club. We've got a squad of around thirty players now, not bad going. I expect some to stay the course but I think a few may be gone by the end of the season, whatever happens I know it's going to be a long hard trek.

Sunday 29th July 2001

While the Everton game provided nothing more than a fitness booster this afternoons game against Peterborough should give us a decent indication on the quality of the squad. The Second Division side have some excellent players however so I don't expect a walk in the park, as it were.

I make several changes to the squad but most notable are - Lee Worgan in goal in place of fellow 'keeper and Lee - Marshall, while Clive Mendonca partners David Stevens up front, Kurt Nogan dropping to the bench.

We start well and after some sustained pressure take the lead - Mendonca making light of having only been with the team for a couple of days by lashing home the ball from just inside the box with just fourteen minutes on the clock. It's the only goal of a lively first half but it's equalised just two minutes into the second half when Ryan Semple curls home a delightful thirty-yard free kick. Both sides trade chances but it's Peterborough who come out on top and with just seven minutes to go Callum Willock lashes the ball home having been found by Andy Legg. It finishes 1-2 but I'm full of confidence that we're nearly ready for the league and on that performance we should do well.

Monday 30th July 2001

Looking back at yesterdays entry I feel I should say that when I say 'well', I mean above last, preferably mid-table. I'm not expecting miracles.

On the playing squad front I'm still on the search for another goalkeeper or two, with the loss of the loan signings we now have twenty-seven players on our books, including myself. It's a large squad for this level but I think it's necessary, at least for now.

In other news Port Talbot Town appoint former Liverpool, Aston Villa and Ireland international Ray Houghton as manager. Like me it's his first managerial job, although I'm sure his contacts book will be a hell of a lot bigger than mine! I guess that's just one of the problems with being a complete novice and a failed professional though, I wonder who in say ten years time will have had more success?

Tuesday 31st July 2001

One goalkeeper who won't be joining the club is Andy Marriott, the former Welsh International doesn't like the terms we've offered him and he thinks he can get a better deal elsewhere. I admire his honesty but if he can't find another club we'll be happy to offer him a contract.

Rhyl make a surprise appointment, following Port Talbot in appointing a well known ex player - Vinny Jones is the recipient this time, hanging up his boots to take over.

Wednesday 1st August 2001

Another game today, as we finish our pre season with the arrival of First Division Reading to the 'Morfa.' We line up as we started against Peterborough and make a fine start David Stevens scoring from fully twenty-yards with a curling effort that leaves Marcus Hahnemann stranded. Three minutes later Reading are level though - Steven Sidwell tapping in from close range after Lee Worgan saved well from Dave Kitson. Both goals came inside the opening twelve minutes and no more were scored in the first half.

At half time Val Owen and Laurence Laffan come on for Jeremy Goss and Neil Rimmer respectively as I look to spice up the midfield but it's Reading, as expected who are doing more of the running and they take the lead when talented forward Dean Morgan scores with seventy-two minutes gone. It finishes 1-2 but I don't mind, we've shown again we can hold teams way above our current level.

Thursday 2nd August 2001

I finally make my return to training today, it's a welcome one on my part but I don't really want to play very much this season - the management side of things is weighing too heavily on me at the moment, it's stressful at any level.

Today also marks the arrival of three new players. All with experience of playing in England and all on free transfers! The most experienced of which is Neil Pointon - well known for spells at Everton and Oldham he's still a fine left back - even at thirty-six. Another defender Chris Scott is a lot younger at just twenty-two, he's played fourteen games for Burnley in his three years with them while Matt Coupe used to be on the books of Swindon Town as a youngster but has more recently been playing Non-League football in the West Country - he's a forward and looks fairly good.

Monday 6th August 2001

So with just twelve days to go until our opening fixture away at Connah's Quay I've decided to take stock of my so far short time as manager of Airbus.

I've been in charge for just sixteen days, I can't believe this - it feels like so much more (I don't know whether that's a good or a bad thing) - I've signed a staggering twenty-eight players! As yet none have left (not counting the loan signings I sent home).

The current squad is buckling down in training, clearly looking to impress myself and fellow coach Scott Williams - at just twenty-six he's got a big part to play this season both on and off the pitch. So far most of them are, It's going to be difficult when it comes to picking my first side, but it's a nice difficulty to have.

Wednesday 8th August 2001

The search for another 'keeper continues, this time it's former Wrexham youngster David Walsh turning us down. The twenty-one year old preferring the lure of Llansantffraid's finest T.N.S. And with European football a possibility, who could blame him?

One player who is still available though is Andrew Marriott, I give him a phone call and we offer him another contract. He's thinking it over as I write this. I find it astonishing a player of his supposed quality is still available, after all a few seasons ago Andy was rated as one of the best goalkeepers outside of the top flight, but a lot has changed since his Wrexham days and like so many more before and no doubt after it looks like he's been consigned to the football scrap heap, something I'm more than accustomed to.

One thing this is making me realise is how lucky we were to sign Lee Worgan. He may only be eighteen but he's a bright prospect and I was surprised Wimbledon released him, at the moment he's going to be starting the season as first choice, how many other players his age can say that? Especially in such a specialist position.

Thursday 9th August 2001

I went to watch the Welsh Premier's only remaining European entrant tonight - Total Network Solutions, and saw them come away with an impressive 1-0 home win against Slovenian side Primorje in the Uefa Cup Qualifying Round. Several players impressed me, notably defender Richard Duffy, who looks far more experienced in his play than his eighteen-years would normally suggest while substitute striker Nicky Ward, who came off the bench to head home his sides eighty-seventh minute winner, also looks to be a decent player.

On my way back I wondered if I would ever get the chance to manage Airbus in Europe, I'd had the fortune to play a few games whilst at Barry Town. One thing for sure is that the money involved would certainly be a boost to the club, the debt just keeps on growing.

Monday 13th August 1999

It's been a few days since I last wrote, mainly because I've been throwing myself into training to try and get myself fit for the start of the season. Also I've had a number of interviews and potential players to get in touch with so just haven't had the time. Unfortunately none of the players did sign so it was basically a wasted venture but this morning I got a nice surprise...

Andy Marriott phoned me first thing, he's accepting the offer of a contract - it's great news for me but not so great news for Lee Worgan - who had expected to start the season as first choice. Lee is actually very good about the news though, he realises that Andy at thirty and with five full Wales caps to his name will be the first choice, after all Lee has time on his side.

For Marriott it's a chance to finally get some first team action having made just two appearances in the last four seasons. He's signed a three year contract but I wouldn't be surprised to see him moving on before that - at his age and with his ability he could easily play at Division Two or Three standard in England. It does concern me that we've signed him so easily (not including his initial refusal) but I can't foresee him giving us any problems. One things for sure, with just five days until the start of the season it's a welcome signing.

Tuesday 14th August 2001

I had expected two Spanish players to join in with training today but neither showed and I later received a phone call from someone acting on their behalf that said they'd been delayed.

It later turned out they'd simply been offered the chance of a trial at Wrexham, and taken it. It would have been nice to know but never mind. I feel sorry for right back Somavilla, he was getting quite excited at the thought of being able to converse in his native tongue - poor guy.

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of the two players, one things for sure I doubt they'll be coming here in a hurry although stranger things have happened.

Wednesday 15th August 2001

If I thought our Spanish connection was going to be one of the only things giving the Welsh Premier a bit of a continental feel this season then I was wrong, very wrong.

CPD Porthmadog pulled off an interesting coup today signing Jimmy Gustavo Montanero - an Ecuadoran International with seventeen caps nonetheless, he is forty though, but what the hell happened there? I can't be the only one thinking that this is a seriously strange transfer can I? Others have also taken place;- Afan Lido will have former French International Philippe Vercruysse up front next season. Caersws and Bangor City both possess midfielders from the Faroe Islands and Welshpool are likely to have Bulgarian Bontcho Guentchev up front alongside former Jamaican International Chris Dias.

Who said that the Welsh League couldn't attract players anymore! Perhaps one day we'll see some Brazilians turning out for Airbus at the Morfa.

Thursday 16th August 2001

Scout Lee Evans has been a busy man lately, after all look at all the players we've signed - he came up trumps again today as we signed two youngsters who both look to have an excellent future in the game. At just sixteen Chris Parry is the younger of the pair, we're his first proper club and he's delighted to sign for us - he's a left back but possesses a free kick to match any Beckham or Zidane - perhaps he could be our Sinisa Mihajlovic, I wish!

The other play has slightly more pedigree having come from Ipswich Town, he's also a year older, but again is left sided. Robert Dickinson is his name, a forward or attacking midfielder he could be pushing for a first team place by the end of the season but for now like Chris will have to settle for reserve team action.

One of the most important aspects of my job this season and from now on will be to help improve Airbus' Youth Programme, it'd be nice to think that one day we could have an academy that will supply players year after year. For now it's just a pipe dream but self sufficiency would be nice.

Friday 17th August 2001

As it's the eve of the season I think it's time to look at the squad list for the coming season.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Airbus UK Squad

No Name Position(s) Nat Born Age Caps Gls Wages Expires Value

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Atkins, Mark DM RC ENG 14.8.68 33 - - £180 21.4.04 £14K

- Bell, Leon M RC ENG 23.9.80 20 - - £180 21.5.04 £7K

- Blair, David D/M L WAL 8.1.70 31 - - £95 21.5.04 £4K

- Bradshaw, Darren D/M C ENG 19.3.67 34 - - £180 21.5.04 £3K

- Calliste, Ramon S C WAL 16.12.85 15 - - £85 21.5.04 £18K

- Coupe, Matthew F RC WAL 7.10.78 22 - - £180 21.5.04 £28K

- Dickinson, Robert AM/F LC ENG 27.11.83 17 - - £70 12.5.04 £14K

- Draper, Craig M L WAL 4.12.82 18 - - £75 21.5.05 £10K

- Goss, Jeremy AM C WAL 11.5.65 36 9 - £180 21.5.04 £14K

- Hughes, David D C WAL 1.2.78 23 - - £75 21.5.04 £20K

- Hughes, Mark D C WAL 3.2.62 39 - - £90 21.5.04 £3K

- Laffan, Laurence AM R WAL 13.5.80 21 - - £75 21.5.04 £9K

- Marriott, Andrew GK WAL 11.10.70 30 5 - £200 8.5.04 £50K

- Marshall, Lee GK ENG 18.9.73 27 - - £100 21.5.02 £4K

- Martin, Andrew F RC WAL 28.2.80 21 - - £110 21.5.04 £30K

- Mendonca, Clive S C ENG 9.9.68 32 - - £180 21.5.04 £24K

- Michael, Jamie D/AM/F L WAL 25.10.78 22 - - £75 21.5.04 £16K

- Morgan, Simon D/DM RC ENG 5.9.66 34 - - £180 21.5.04 £3K

- Nogan, Kurt F RC WAL 9.9.70 30 - - £180 21.5.04 £20K

- Owen, Val M C WAL 17.2.72 29 - - £180 21.5.04 £24K

- Peischl, Michael F RLC AUT 20.10.82 18 - - £180 21.5.04 £20K

- Pointon, Neil D L ENG 28.11.64 36 - - £180 21.4.04 £3K

- Rimmer, Neill AM R ENG 13.11.67 33 - - £180 21.4.04 £14K

- Schippers, Jan-Harm DM RL HOL 16.3.73 28 - - £180 21.5.05 £26K

- Scott, Chris D RC ENG 10.7.79 22 - - £150 21.5.04 £16K

- Somavilla D R ESP 7.1.68 33 - - £180 21.5.04 £20K

- Stevens, Danny F C ENG 10.9.80 20 - - £75 21.5.04 £5K

- Thomas, Rhodri D R WAL 21.10.77 23 - - £160 21.5.04 £26K

- Troussier, Ludovic D C FRA 27.9.69 31 - - £180 21.5.04 £24K

- Waggett, Jamie M/F RC ENG 6.10.64 36 - - £110 1.7.06 £3K

- Williams, Scott DM C WAL 7.8.74 27 - - £110 21.5.05 £7K

- Worgan, Lee GK WAL 24.3.83 18 - - £90 21.5.04 £7K

</pre>

Nice isn't it? A sprinkling of experience but mainly players with something to prove. Perfect for our first season in the Welsh Premier

Saturday 18th August 2001

Having failed to register a single win in pre-season I was expecting somewhat of a tough test against Connah's Quay Nomads. I would have been whatever had happened in pre-season to be honest but with that hanging over me it made my stomach feel just a little bit tighter as I watched us warm on up the lush surface of their Deeside Stadium. It wasn't long before I was joining in though, I didn't have time to muse today after all I was starting in central midfield, yes, I had named myself it was an important match and even at thirty-six I felt I could do a job. Ditching the 3-5-2 formation that I had used in pre season I decided to switch to a 4-4-2 and we lined up like so -

Andrew Marriott; Jan-Harm Schippers, Neil Pointon, David Hughes, Simon Morgan; Scott Williams ©, Neil Rimmer, Jeremy Goss, Jamie Waggett; Danny Stevens, Clive Mendonca

On the bench - Lee Worgan (gk), Darren Bradshaw, Val Owen, Michael Peischi and Kurt Nogan.

We started well and had the better of the first half Clive Mendonca hitting the woodwork while fellow striker Danny Stevens also went close after being put into the area by myself. Where we had controlled the first half it was Connah's Quay who had the better of the second and it was they who scored the only goal of the game with just over an hour gone. The excellent Tommy Mutton driving home after a mistake by yours truly had gifted Sam Pugh the space to find him. It takes a big man to admit you've done wrong sometimes but I hold my hand up today, we didn't create much though which is a worry. Hang on wasn't that my job?

While we sat in fifteenth place according to the the opening days league table it was T.N.S who sat top after an impressive 3-0 win at Afan Lido (Frenchman did play, although didn't play well). Jon Keaveney was the star of the day though hitting a hat trick as Rhyl beat Carmarthen Town 3-2, we'd looked at Jon in pre season but choose Danny Stevens instead, although I would have preferred both.

Sunday 19th August 2001

We have an International in our midst today as it was announced that Andrew Martin was in the Wales Under 21 squad for the match against Northern Ireland in twelve days time. Fair play to him, although he's not in my immediate plans I do rate the young forward and he should see some playing time soon enough.

It came as a surprise to both him and the club but he'll always go down as our first International - although not at all full level, should he play. Which is nice.

I'm not overly down about yesterdays result, it's a shame yes, but we thirty-three more games this season starting next Saturday at home to Aberystwyth and I know for a fact we won't lose them all (I bloody hope not anyway).

Tuesday 21st August 2001

I've made an executive decision today, I won't be playing in our next match - my place will go to Val Owen instead, this is partly due to not cutting it in training but more to do with the fact that I think others can do a better job than me in the middle of midfield, I was always better behind the front two or up front I'm not a central midfielder and at thirty-six I never will be. Although it's a few days away I tell Val he's starting and he's overjoyed, he once hit twelve goals for Northwich Victoria playing in a similar position - a return like that wouldn't go amiss this season.

Thursday 23rd August 2001

It's strange you know, training at the Aircraft field and playing at the 'Morfa,' I can't help wondering if we'll ever play back in our real home, with debts over £400,000 it's unlikely any improvements are going to be made soon anyway. I wonder what Mr Sutton is up to, I haven't seen him for a while, according to his secretary, who coincidentally also doubles up as the kit woman he's gone on holiday to Portugal - nice for some isn't it?

Back in training today I went over with the lads what I want from the weekends game - a win. Although I'd secretly settle for a point. I do have a nice quandary now though having just finished watching the reserves beat their Aberystwyth counterparts 3-1 - it mainly revolves around Andrew Martin, as the fast front man scores one and sets one up in an all action display that gives him the man-of-the-match award. Robert Dickinson and fifteen-year-old Ramon Calliste are the other scorers. Chris Parry also impressed me, especially as he was playing in an unorthodox central defensive position.

It's also nice to hear news from Slovenia that T.N.S have made it through to the First Round of the Uefa Cup, they lost on the night but won the penalty shoot out 4-2 much to the delight of manager Ken McKenna so I'm told.

Saturday 25th August 2001

I watched Porto beat Valencia 1-0 last night to lift the European Super Cup, I'd do anything to have a midfielder like Maniche in our squad...ah maybe one day, anyway more important things are afoot...

After much deliberation I've decided Andrew Martin makes the squad, but not only that - he'll also partner Clive Mendonca upfront, David Stevens drops to the bench. I feel sorry for David he has done nothing wrong and he knows this but at this level it would be stupid to leave out an Under 21 International, wouldn't it? One player who won't be taking part is Kurt Nogan, which makes my decision to take a place on the bench slightly easier - Kurt fell badly in training yesterday so misses out for at least a month with a damaged shoulder.

It's clear Aberystwyth are no mugs but it's up who have the better of the first half despite again failing to get on the score sheet - Martin is at the core of everything heading over inside ten minutes and hitting the bar with another a minute before half time. I bring myself on for the second half in place of Clive Mendonca who was carrying a slight knock - ok I admit I did kick him in the tunnel at half time, but shush.

I should have scored with my first touch, powering a header at goal but Richard Morgan produced an excellent parry before then blocking Martin's follow up. I've scored a fair few goals in my time, too many to mention. I don't mean to be boastful I just actually don't know how many, no one seems to have kept much of a record, anyway back to the match. My introduction did seem to make a difference as my power helped outfight the Aber' defence but it wasn't until eight minutes to go that we took the lead. Neil Rimmer shooting home low from the edge of the box after Jeremy Goss had combined with Martin, his first goal for the club. And then with just two minutes to go, the moment the crowd had all been waiting for Owen finds Waggett inside the box, just the keeper to beat, he shapes to shoot. But no, he's squared it to Martin, who tucks it away to score! Perhaps I could be a creative midfielder after all? One thing for sure is that Andrew Martin has had one hell of a week, Under 21 call up then scoring on both reserve and full team debuts - that'll take some beating.

Monday 27th August 2001

I'm writing this from home today, as I decided to give the lads the last two days off for the win - I think it was appreciated and I hope its reciprocated by a good performance in our League Cup group game on Wednesday. We face Porthmadog who currently sit atop the three team group having beaten Cwmbran Town last week in the opening game, I'm expecting a tough test and I might even give myself a start.

Wednesday 29th August 2001

As it was I didn't start in the end instead preferring to stay on the touchlines and even a thirty-eighth minute injury to Clive Mendonca didn't see me strip off and get on - instead I gave Danny Stevens a chance - which thankfully he took. The match itself was fairly one-sided we dominated from the off and Jeremy Goss scored a stunning volley after getting on the end of an Andrew Martin knockdown - fourteen minutes on the watch and 1-0, easy! But it wasn't until the final moments of the match that we made things safe. Goss was again involved this time playing a nice square ball inside his marker for Stevens to race onto and crack home. Not a bad time to score your first senior goal for the club. It finished 2-0.

Thursday 30th August 2001

Well on one side I'm overjoyed about last nights performance but on the other I'm feeling deeply down as I've just heard that Clive Mendonca will miss the next six months of the season with injury, but not the one he sustained in yesterdays match which was just a slight strain in his knee, further tests today showed he's actually carrying a severe knee injury. He'll be missed but I can't help thinking that at thirty-two, it's perhaps a step too far.

But while one player faces the possibility of a bleak near future it'll be good news for Danny Stevens who can expect to see a lot more playing time, and there is always the wise head of Kurt Nogan if he's needed. One thing I'm not short on is strikers, thankfully.

Friday 31st August 2001

Well our Under 21 International not only played but also captained his side in a 0-0 draw at the Millennium Stadium tonight, a proud moment for Andrew Martin, his family and the club. Chances were few and far between with his strike partner Leon Jeanne going the closet to breaking the deadlock.

It was in all honesty a bit of a strange line-up most of the players came from Welsh Non-League clubs and their are one or two I will definitely be keeping an eye on. It's a pity I don't have any money to spend.

Closer to home our reserves - inspired by Ramon Calliste (two goals) defeated their Afan Lido counterparts 4-1. Chris Parry again impressed in an unfamiliar central role, he actually opened the scoring striking the ball home from long range after a corner kick had been cleared. Jamie Michael got the other goal from the penalty spot.

Saturday 1st September 2001

A new month brings about our next game, but first lets get the awards or should I say Monthly award out of the way - Vinny Jones scooped the Manager of the Month gong for August having led Rhyl to the top of the Welsh Premier with two wins - fair enough but I'd have thought Bangor City's Peter Davenport would have got it, after all his side have won all three of their opening fixtures (in both league and cup) while Vinny's side have lost one of their four. Anyway back to the match.

Andrew Martin was away on and with Clive Mendonca now a long term injury casualty I decided to give Matt Coupe his debut up front alongside David Stevens. Coupe did well and caused the side we were visiting Afan Lido, some problems but I felt we were just missing something at half time so I bought myself on in his place. It seemed to do the trick as within four minutes of the restart Val Owen was firing us into the lead, having got on the end of Danny Stevens' cross. A minute later it was 2-0, this time I got in on the act again - not scoring but creating as I laid the ball into the path of Stevens on the edge of the box, the former Cardiff striker still had a lot to do but took the bouncing ball with aplomb to volley home. That's how it stayed, although I did manage to pick up a yellow card for a rash challenge on Philippe Vercruysse, I say rash but when someone nutmegs you twice in quick succession then goes for it again he's always going to go down.

Monday 3rd September 2001

I received a phone call today from Mr Sutton, it wasn't particularly long he just felt the need to say what a good job I was doing so far and that he hoped we'd continue to perform as well. Apparently I'll next see him at Christmas, his current whereabouts? Somewhere in the South Italy, nice to know someone has the money to enjoy themselves eh?!

Wednesday 5th September 2001

Cwmbran Town today, again an away match (our second in a row), this time in the League Cup though. Coupe out, Martin in is the end only change but neither get much chance from a stubborn Cwmbran defence in a first half totally dominated by our opponents - thankfully Andrew Marriott is on excellent form and keeps them at bay. Half time sees the introduction of yours truly into midfield but I can do little change the course of the game as just before the hour Jodie Jenkins buries a fine long range effort to give Cwmbran a somewhat deserved lead.

It only serves to wake up though and within minutes we've equalised, Neil Pointon hits the ball up field more in hope than anything else it falls nicely in front of me just past the half way line I take a look up and seeing the 'keeper off his line decide to chance it. This never comes off in matches usually but today, just today it did - the ball swerves slightly in mid air but it doesn't change the outcome Pat O'Hagan is in no-mans land and can do little as the ball dips violently past his outstretched arm to satisfyingly find the back of the net. Not a bad way to open my account for the season. It finishes 1-1.

Glad you like it Gino icon_smile.gif

Thursday 6th September 2001

It's the morning after my forty-five minute run out and I have to say I'm suffering no ill effects and feeling on top of the world, I do have one thing to say though and that is that I've come to a decision. Being thirty-six I wasn't ever really going to have all that long left in the game anyway and seeing as I'm now manager we've got a fairly big squad, well this will be my last as a player. At the end of the season I'm going to retire, the playing staff took it well and understood my decision - Kurt Nogan, now fully recovered from injury I think smiled a little in relief than anything else - after all surely he'd get more chances to play now?

The first of these came in tonight's reserve fixture at Banger City - the match was played at some speed but we won 2-0, Ramon Calliste hitting his fourth goal of the season at this level while youth team striker Mark Robinson got the over. Kurt had a good run out and more than played himself into contention for a place in the squad for Saturdays game.

Saturday 8th September 2001

'Despite being an Under 21 International you're not going to play every game' - that was what I told Andrew Martin before I announced the team for today - Kurt Nogan taking his place upfront, he was a little disappointed but he knows it's a season is a long time in football and he'll get another chance soon.

We started the match badly Bangor City's excellent young midfielder Owain Tudor Jones twice dancing through our defence to tee up goals for Paul Roberts and Tarek Mostafa within the first five minutes and from then on it was always going to be a case of chasing the game. Today it was Danny's turn to be replaced by me at half time but it was to no avail as we were reduced to ten men shortly after half time when Simon Morgan professional fouled Chris Watkins and it was Watkins who rounded off the scoring just before half time driving home from a Burgess cross. It was a disappointing performance but at least we lost to the team who currently sit top of the table. Peter Davenport really seems to have got his side going, I just wish we could find that level of consistency (they've won all six of their opening fixtures).

Monday 10th September 2001

I was too upset to write yesterday and I think I upset the lads too, well we played ***** and I think I was well within my rights to call them in for extra training, although perhaps the 8 am Sunday morning start was a bit much. Training's just finished for tonight as well, the thing with being part-time is that so often you have players who live no where near the club - this is the case with a couple of the ones on our books at the moment so it's basically a case of them training with whichever club is closest to them - Clive Mendonca had he not been ruled out for several months would today have been enjoying the delights of Charlton Athletic's training facilities while all the local based lads had to make do with the terrible playing surface here at Broughton, still I guess that's life.

We also learnt that Simon Morgan would be banned for a total of three matches following his sending off, it's a shame as he's been something of a rock so far this season but now perhaps I can take a look at French central defender Ludovic Troussier, after all he has moved to Wales to make a success of this, at least he shows commitment, I just wish he had as much ability.

Wednesday 12th September 2001

For once in recent weeks we don't have a game today so instead I decided to call the lads in for one anyway, a side picked by me takes on Scott Williams selection in a feast of football at the Broughton, the match only lasts for an hour but it's my side who come out on top left back David Blair curling home a late winner as the game finished 3-2. To the victor the spoils, for the losers - an hour of fartlek training, unlucky boys!

Saturday 15th September 2001

We played Port Talbot Town today at their Victoria Road ground, now most people seem to have this image of Port Talbot as a smog filled dump and well from first sight they'd be right, I would try and look again but I fear my eyes might be burnt out by the acid rain coming from beyond yonder factory. Ok a slight exaggeration, but it did absolutely **** down today and neither side really looked like they fancied a game much.

But one was played and after taking the lead in the fourteenth minute - David Hughes heading home a Neill Rimmer corner - we should have really buried Port Talbot especially when we were awarded a penalty with little over twenty-minutes on the clock. Andrew Martin, restored to the starting eleven in place of David Stevens won it, but passed up the opportunity to Kurt Nogan. Unfortunately for Kurt Gary Wager guessed the right way and palmed his spot-kick away, it's not been a very successful start to Kurt's airbus career - in and out of the side, missing chances and getting injured, never mind I think his luck will change shortly. We were to rue the miss though as with half time looming Steve Carpenter rose like the proverbial salmon to nod home an Allan Clarke cross so the teams went in all square at half time. Nogan was replaced by Stevens at half time and it was Danny who proved to be the match winner scoring an absolute screamer with just over twenty minutes left on the clock. Things were made slightly easier when Port Talbot had Robert Cockings sent off for headbutting Neil Pointon with ten minutes to go, but after Danny's goal the result never looked in doubt. The league table looked quite nice to, fourth place, not too shabby.

Monday 17th September 2001

Kurt Nogan came into my office today, he wanted to apologise for missing the penalty and his poor performances of late, it would seem this man is very low on confidence. I feel sorry for him it happens in all walks of life but a striker who can't score goals is no use to anyone and he knows it. He's asked me to give him a little breathing space and if he can play in the reserves for a month to see if he can find his spark again. I agree with him and let him know I won't hesitate to include him in the first team squad when he's ready again as I still him as a vital cog in the team. The last thing makes him smile a little and I think he feels better now

One player who's not very happy is Spanish defender José Javier Gómez Somavilla (you can see why we just call him Somavilla now, can't you?) He thinks he's made the wrong decision joining the club and wants to move back to Spain. I agree with him, he doesn't look half the player he did in pre season and as he doesn't wish to uproot his family and bring them to Chester we agree to part terms, so he's gone without making a single first team appearance. I wish him luck.

Wednesday 19th September 2001

With the squad a player lighter we travelled to Porthmadog for our third League Cup group game and came away with a hard fought 2-1 win - Andrew Martin scoring two headers to seal our place in the Quarter Finals. The game makes next weeks home match against Cwmbran practically meaningless, but nonetheless I'll still be looking for a win.

We're joined in the next round by Port Talbot Town, Haverfordwest and Total Network Solutions.

Saturday 22nd September 2001

Yesterday the reserves featuring Kurt Nogan (who scored, surprise, surprise!) up front played out a 1-1 draw with Caersws, today we face their first team however and it's a wholly different affair. We come out with all guns blazing and take the lead after just fourteen minutes - Jan-Harm Schippers slotting home a penalty off the post. Caersws hit back through the free-scoring Graham Evans before it was back to business for us as we hit three goals in the remaining seventy minutes of the match - Andrew Martin hitting his fourth & fifth goals of the season with well placed drives while Danny Stevens got his fourth with a stunning volley. Not bad going at all and we're now up to second place!

Monday 23rd September 2001

It seems Andrew Martin isn't just attracting the attention of the Welsh Under 21 selectors (today he is again selected for next months game at home to Latvia) and the plaudits of myself and the other staff, today we receive a tentative reply from Wrexham, they're quickly told he's not for sale. The fact Andrew doesn't wish to move does make a big difference, when we tell him about the rejected bid he just shrugs it off, he's only here to score goals. It's a nice attitude for me to reflect on.

One player who won't be joining the club is former Welsh International and Queens Park Rangers player Michael Meaker, we'd looked at signing the winger and even offered him a contract but he chose Welshpool instead, it's a shame as although he's lost his way recently he's clearly talented.

Wednesday 26th September 2001

Today Cwmbran visit the 'Morfa' for the final group game of the League cup, I give Simon Morgan a start as he has finished his suspension, he partners Darren Bradshaw, who has been impressive of late while David Hughes is rested. The game is pretty much academic and it shows with our performance we're two goals down before the twentieth minute and that's how it stays until just after the hour, Neill Rimmer pulls one back with a solo effort but Cwmbran score again before full time and it finishes 3-1.

After the match I listened to the radio where I found we'd been drawn away against Port Talbot Town in the Quarter Final. A tough tie but not one we can't win.

Saturday 29th September 2001

And so to the Oval we travelled and it was Caernarfon Town we faced, David Hughes returned to the side in place of Darren Bradshaw, while Mark Atkins came into midfield in place of player/coach Scott Williams. Two changes yes, but I felt they were needed. The match itself was something of a formality for us Danny Stevens or 'Former Cardiff City striker Danny Stevens' as he's seemingly known in the local press hit a quick fire second half hat trick as we came away with an excellent 4-1 win, Andrew Martin rounding off the scoring in the last minute. Not bad going, I didn't even feel the need to bring myself off the bench today.

Monday 1st October 2001

The first day of the Month as always brings out the award, Peter Davenport is the recipient this month, is Bangor side lost just once in September conceding just three goals in nine games - not bad going at all. They're also still top of the table, although we're only three points behind them in second place.

I get my monthly call from Mr. Sutton, it's the usual fair, how are you? How is the team doing? Etc etc but he's not finished their - the club is now some £521,262 in debt, lovely. I've been told to improve the financial situation! Short of robbing a bank or investing all the clubs funds in lottery tickets I think I'm in for a long haul.

Wednesday 3rd October 2001

NEWI Cefn Druids come to the 'Morfa' today for what I guess could be considered somewhat of a 'Derby' game. They were in ninth place before today's fixture while we sat closer to the top in second and that's exactly how things stayed but we got all three points as Val Owen struck the only goal of the game, for tonight at least we're joint top.

Saturday 6th October 2001

It's my birthday today and for once we don't have a game for me to celebrate after, not to worry the lads have apparently got something planned so if I don't write for a while I'm either still hung over or chained to a lamp post somewhere. Wednesday sees us travel to Port Talbot for the League Cup Quarter Final - I know it's going to be a difficult game but just hope we can get something out of it, it'd be nice to bring home a trophy this season.

One player who did have a game this weekend was striker Andrew Martin. He again captained the Welsh Under 21 as they stormed to an impressive 4-0 win over their Latvia counterparts - Martin scoring his sides second goal. He was jubilant as ever as you would expect.

Tuesday 9th October 2001

I have an irate Leon Bell in my office today, Leon's not happy having failed to play a single game this season - ok, yes I can understand his frustration but when you play a system that only provides spaces for two central midfielders what does he expect. I know that everyone wants to play but it's all about I feel picking the right team on the day. I tell him to give it a month and then come back to me, if he's still not happy we'll work it out.

Wednesday 10th October 2001

The second trip to Port Talbot of the season sees us looking for another win and hopefully a place in the Semi Finals of the League Cup. The first half is a blur of chances as both side aim to get going but it's Port Talbot who go in at half time with the lead seventeen-year-old Craig Hanford sweeping the ball home from close range midway through the first half.

I decide their is only one course of action - I bring myself on at half time - not to be boastful but I make an immediate impact as my strength causes the Port Talbot defence problems then on the hour mark we drew level. Mark Atkins found Andrew Martin on the edge of the box with a chipped cross, his volley forced Gary Wager into a fine block but he couldn't hold the ball and following up was myself to slot the ball home from just outside the six yard box. I knew I still had goals in me. The rest of the half is played at frenetic pace but after Danny Stevens hits the bar with a long range effort the game looks to be heading to extra time, then bang on full time we're awarded a freekick when Gary Twynham flattens Val Owen on the edge of the box. I step up and dispatch the ball perfectly around the wall and into the back of the net. We win 2-1.

Thursday 11th October 2001

I was delighted with our second half performance last night and selfishly my own, it was nice to score some goals for once but I don't think I'll be making a habit of playing too many games from now on. I'm sore today and there is a stiffness in my knee that I just can't seem to shift but I should be Ok for our next fixture, which isn't until ten days time.

Wednesday 17th October 2001

It's been a long time since I wrote and that's basically because not very much has happened. On the training ground we've had very little incident everyone has settled down and even the unhappy figure of Leon Bell seems to be smiling for once.

Off the field no changes are on the foot, no new signings and no one is going to be leaving within the next few weeks.

I'm going to have to change what I wrote earlier, that'll teach me to say training past by without incident, the final ball of our afternoon session sees me leaping to block a shot from Kurt Nogan, I block it but not with the part of the body I'd aimed for the ball smashing into my nose, breaking it in the process. Lovely.

Saturday 20th October 2001

After our ten day break it's back to league action today as we go to Llanelli. The sixth placed side have recently captured Maltese forward Mark Psaila but he fails to ignite a spark in their side as we cruise to the top of the table with an excellent 4-1 win. Danny Stevens is the star scoring two excellent goals in the first half before Mark Atkins and Andrew Martin get in on the act in the second half. Yes I did just saw top of the table - by a whole two points from Bangor. Who'd have thought that at the start of the season?

After the match I was informed that we'd drawn Clwyd based side Buckley Town in the Welsh Cup Third round, we'll be travelling to Globe Way midway through November.

Wednesday 24th October 2001

No real news to report, Nose has healed sufficiently to resume training though. Hooray!

Also we'll play Connah's Quay Nomands in the Semi Final of the League Cup, the first leg will take place next week at their Deeside Stadium. In the other game Aberystwyth Town face Bangor City.

Saturday 27th October 2001

Last night Kurt Nogan hit a double for the reserves against Cwmbran so he's recalled to the squad today and takes his place on the bench. The game itself is fairly eventful, we stay top thanks to a hard fought point but overall it's a disappointing performance. Danny Stevens glanced us into an early lead but Mattie Davies scored twice to give Cwmbran the lead. The introduction of Nogan did seem to give us a bit more impetus though and it was no surprise when Andrew Martin equalised with a fine right footed finish in front of our first +1000 crowd of the season.

Wednesday 31st October

So our League Cup adventure continues, to Connah's Quay we travelled and came away with a disappointing 2-1 defeat, this despite having the lions share of possession and taking the lead. Danny Stevens driving home after a being set up by Jeremy Goss. Sadly the second half was all Connah's Quay as Scottish striker Steve McCormick hit a double. It's left me with a sour taste in my mouth but I'm hopeful we can win the second leg and get through to the final.

Thursday 1st November 2001

Another month - more awards, again none for me, but I didn't expect any. They instead go to Tony Wilcox of Cwmbran Town. Why I'm not really sure, his side one only two games all month and conceded heavily, strange but never mind.

It's going to be an important period for the club with three home games within the next nine days, tiring but hopefully all winnable.

Late in the evening I get a phone call from Mr. Sutton - it's a monthly event and deserves special attention. For once though it's not just the usual random chit-chat and backslapping he's injected £475,000 into the club, which virtually clears all of the clubs current debt bar just under £80,000. I thank him resolutely, it's a much needed boost.

It's also followed by the news that once again Andrew Martin is in the Welsh Under 21 squad, this time he'll be travelling to Lithuania, nice.

Saturday 3rd November 2001

Welshpool came to the 'Morfa' today and were promptly dispatched with a 3-1 defeat, we go back to the top of the table due to Rhyl managing to pick up only a point against Cefn Druids. Neill Rimmer was the star of the show, curling home a delightful first half free kick then sealing the win with a late solo effort, in between Mark Atkins hit his second goal for the club. The only thing to dampen our spirits was an injury to midfielder Val Owen, it's not serious thankfully though - just a thigh strain, we both breathed a collective sigh of belief.

Val has been instrumental in much of our good form recently, I just hope this little knock won't disrupt his and our form too much. Especially as he'll now miss the vital game on Wednesday in the League Cup.

Monday 5th November 2001

Two days until our biggest game of the season so far and we have no new injuries worries - thankfully, just Valentine. Clive Mendonca is at the club today, he's started doing some light weight training and wanted to check that we were ok with his routines etc. He should be back in about three months according to the phyio's prognosis. Shame to say but we've hardly missed him with the form of Stevens and Martin upfront, at the back of his mind I think Clive knows this.

Wednesday 7th November 2001

So judgement day is upon us. The match itself is a good one, they score first through Tommy Mutton but an Andrew Martin penalty puts us back in the game, from then on it's siege mentality time as we strive to get the other goal - we get it with just three minutes of normal time Danny Stevens drilling a loose ball home inside the area. Two periods of extra time follow as both sides block each other out so it's settled on penalties. Both sides miss their first one, both sides score their second, this is sadly where the symmetry ends though as Connah's Quay convert their next two and we fail to score either. The guilty parties - Andrew Martin, Myself (Never a good time to miss the first penalty of your career) and Mark Atkins. So 3-3 on the night but a 3-1 loss on penalties - Connah's Quay will face Bangor City in the next round, they beat Aberystwyth 2-1 on aggregate.

Saturday 10th November 2001

The final home game of our quick fire threesome sees Porthmadog come to the 'Morfa,' or as I like to call it 'field of dreams,' or something of a nightmare considering the diversions we have to take to get here today, bloody traffic. That's the only problem with not playing our home games at 'home' the travelling is a real problem, everything feels like an away game. But at least now a few months into the season we're into a routine - meet at the ground, travel down on the coach, arrive at ground, play, go home, rest - sorted.

Today is wet, cold and miserable for the few hardy souls who decide to venture our for this Welsh Premiership clash of the newbies. The conditions don't make for good football and with players slipping and sliding all over the place it looks like it's going to be nil-nil at half time, wrong just on the stroke of half-time up pops Andrew Martin who buries a header past the 'keeper from a Mark Atkins cross - not a bad time to get his tenth goal of the season, not bad at all.

The second half starts with us extending the lead, not once but twice - first Neill Rimmer is crudely fouled in the box and Jan-Harm Schippers slots away the resulting penalty with just five minutes of the half gone. Then just before the hour Jeremy Goss plays a perfect pass into the path of Danny Stevens who meets it full on the volley for a superb goal. We win 3-0, the perfect tonic to a cup hangover.

Tuesday 13th November 2001

There was a nice little article in the press today they're running out of superlatives to throw at Airbus UK as we continue to streamroller our way throught the Welsh Premier Division, I just hope it can continue.

Val Owen returned to training today, his presence on the training ground is as valued as any. One who is now missing though is Neill Rimmer, the right sided midfielder suffering a groin strain during a practice match - a player of his quality out for three weeks on the sidelines is not something I really want right now but nonetheless. Leon Bell, your time has come!

Andrew Martin again captained the Welsh Under 21 side - this time they ran out 1-0 winners in Lithuania, Andrew was the star of the show picking up the man of the match award for a fine performance. Wigan's Mike Flynn hit the only goal.

Saturday 17th November 2001

Today gives us a break from League action as we face Buckley Town in the Third Round of the Welsh Cup. The Clwyd side play at Globe Way and in the cool conditions we start well Jan-Harm Schippers smacking home a penalty inside eight minutes, from their on Neil Pointon smashed home his first for the club and celebrated by diving into the corner flag while Andrew Martin made it three-nil with a low drive. Buckley pulled one back before half time but after the break Martin hit another and Leon Bell marked his debut with a fine strike from long range before Danny Stevens made it 6-1. Ivory Coast International René Bruce-Pinard pulled one back but the game was sealed by a quite stunning Jeremy Goss volley from all of thirty-yards. So 7-2, not bad, it'll do.

Monday 19th November 2001

We're drawn against Afan Lido in the next round of the Welsh Cup, we'll travel to the Runtech Stadium for the game which will be played in February. Hopefully we'll win through.

Morale in the squad is good at the moment and Leon Bell seems to be enjoying life again - although he's got a place in the team rather more through good fortune to himself and misfortune for Neill Rimmer - he's not looking to let it go. The twenty-one year is full of vigour and bounce during training, but slightly mistimes several tackles and I have to give him a ticking off, training is just training after all.

Saturday 24th November 2001

Llansantffraid, the home of Recreation Park, where the mighty Total Network Solutions play. This season hasn't been one of their best, they're tenth before today's game and their European adventure is over - French side Auxerre were just a step too far for them in the second round of the Uefa Cup.

We start the game well and Mark Atkins gives us the lead just after ten minutes, shortly after half time T.N.S hit back through Hogan before we again take the lead Bell swinging in the corner and David Hughes bulleting a header home. Minutes later T.N.S were level and then with the game looking like it was heading for a draw we completely capitulated - Nicky Ward, yes the Nicky Ward who'd so impressed me earlier in the season - headed home a Stuart Roberts cross and that was that. Disappointing to say the least but we manage to maintain our position at the top of the league.

Wednesday 28th November 2001

After the defeat at T.N.S I got the lads in for extra training so it's been a difficult week for them and they're mostly looking knackered, they better not be too bad though as they've got a game on Saturday and I want a win. I've been a manager for a while now and I'm finally starting to feel like one - it's a hell of a lot more stressful than playing ever could be, even at this level.

Saturday 1st December 2001

While T.N.S boss Ken McKenna was receiving the Manager of the Month award for November we were travelling to Bridge Meadow today for a game against Haverfordwest County, at twenty-six player/manager Deryn Brace has a big job on his hands to succeed but seems to be doing a decent job up until now. His side come out looking for a result and quickly go two goals up - Chris Piper and Craig Thomas the scorers nothing we do seems to go right as first Martin and then Stevens hits the bar in the first half. It's sadly a case of more of the same in the second half as Frank Mottram heads home on the hour, from then on their was only going to be one winner and Thomas even added his second of the game in the last minute - a 4-0 defeat to a fifteenth place side is demoralising enough but when it sees your nearest rivals leap frog you into first place it smarts just a little bit more.

Monday 3rd December 2001

I was too angry and upset to write yesterday so here goes today. I've added a defender to the squad, albeit only on trial - the experienced head of Dave Barnett - formerly of a dozen or so clubs but now a free agent, at thirty-four he's looking for one last club to have a few seasons with and I say we'll take a look at him in training for two weeks. So far he looks good but with Morgan, Bradshaw, Hughes and Troussier all vying for two central spots in defence he might have come to the wrong club.

One things for sure, with the recent run of two defeats I was hoping the lads could hit back at home on Saturday.

Wednesday 5th December 2001

Today offers good news for one of our number but bad news for another. First the good news, we've decided to offer Dave Barnett a contract, if he accepts he'll take up a role in the first team this year then take up some coaching responsibilities at the end of the season, it's all about delegation and a man of Dave's experience and vitality will be a bonus on and off the training field.

Now the bad news - Clive Mendonca returned to training today, great you'd think, but not quite he's still very much struggling with his injury and according to Phil Martin (the Physio) it's touch and go as to how much of a recovery he's made. We might not be seeing the same Clive Mendonca that scored regularly for Charlton and Grimsby - it's a shame, not only for the club but also for Clive. A nicer player you will not meet. He's not distraught by the news - he'd suspected it all along, but knows that with a bit of luck he could get back to reasonably level and touch wood should play again before the season is out.

Saturday 8th December 2001

Carmarthen Town visit the 'Morfa' today and are showed the same charity that T.N.S and Haverfordwest were given in the last two league games, yes we gifted them a goal, fortunately we'd already scored but Mark Atkins first half strike did nothing but illuminate a bland performance in the wind and rain for a brief moment. The point today was perhaps all we deserved (it finished 1-1), but I can't help thinking that during this recent run of poor form, we're just missing one thing - fortunately he's recovered from his injury so Neill Rimmer should be back to take his place at in the next match - we've missed him a lot.

Monday 10th December 2001

Dave Barnett agreed and signed his contract with the club today as we also welcomed Neill Rimmer back to training - as I said before he's been missed - his incisive runs and delicate passing skills allow me to give him somewhat of a free role in the side, although at thirty-four, he's perhaps not got many more seasons of doing this.

It was strange to have another face in the coaching office but Dave Settled in very quickly and had soon cultivated a corner just to himself - a Cayman Islands flag now adorns the far wall of the office, which he's taken as his.

Scott Williams countered this with a Welsh Flag while I preferred to stay out of it - sticking instead (bad choice of words I know, but) to the calendar featuring the nude models so gratefully donated to us by scout Lee Evans - seemingly the clubs main pornographer. I'm still to find out why they call him 'Big Lee,' although I'm not really sure I want to.

Saturday 15th December 2001

So far this season Connah's Quay have had the slight upper hand in the three games we've played against them, winning the first two, although we did beat them in the second leg of the League Cup Semi, although with them winning the tie on penalties I guess it's about as good as ****ing into the wind.

Neill Rimmer returned to the side in place of Jeremy Goss and was at the forefront of our best action in the first half, sadly we couldn't get a goal and were given a massive blow a minute before half time. David Hughes was sent off for slicing Ian Cox in half, not the prettiest of tackles.

The second half was one of an excellent defensive display as with a man down we set about galvanising ourselves and attacking on the break, tactically I got it just right and when Danny Stevens scored his fifteenth goal of the season midway through the half we knew the points were all ours.

Wednesday 19th December 2001

It's been a tough week - first, David Hughes was banned for a further two matches because of his 'misconduct' in the previous match so he'll miss the next three games. Also missing out will be Darren Bradshaw suffered a strained neck in training - he'll be out for a week.

Not to worry though as we don't have a game this weekend, being Christmas and all we're off until Boxing Day. So we don't have an actual game until next Wednesday. The lads are in training until Friday then I've given them the rest of the time off, we'll meet up again before the match.

Wednesday 26th December 2001

It's the day after Christmas Day and although a massive cliché we're looking for a nice present from fourteenth placed Newtown. Dave Barnett makes his debut in the place of the suspended David Hughes. It's one-all at half time Danny Stevens equalising an earlier Andrew Whitticase effort and it's left until the eighty-first minute before the match is settled Mark Atkins driving home his fifth goal of the season to send us back to the top of the table. With just one game left it's a going to be a nice way to round of the year.

Saturday 29th December 2001

Rhyl are our next opponents, we travel to their Belle Vue ground in the hope of grinding out a point, something which would keep us on top of the table. You see, our foes today are second in the league. I really want the win though, it'd be nice to enter the new year with some breathing space but beggars can't be yada, yada, yada.

We start the match well but are dealt a bitter blow with just over a quarter of an hour gone - Neill Rimmer limping off, his replacement Kurt Nogan comes into the side in an unorthodox role to him but contributes the first half's only real chance - firing over after being played in by Leon Bell. It's much the same case in the second half neither team creates anything but Nogan again fires over when it would have looked easier to test the keeper. The match finishes 1-1 and as we prepare to enter the year 2002 Airbus UK are top of the Welsh Premier by two points.

Welsh Premier Division - Midway Point

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Airbus UK 18 7 2 1 19 9 4 1 3 14 11 36

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Rhyl 18 5 3 0 13 5 4 4 2 21 15 34

3rd Bangor City 18 4 1 3 10 4 5 4 1 19 12 32

4th Cwmbran Town 18 7 3 0 20 8 1 4 3 12 16 31

5th T.N. Solutions 18 5 3 2 14 10 4 1 3 10 9 31

6th Carmarthen Town 18 7 0 2 25 10 2 2 5 13 16 29

7th Aberystwyth Town 18 4 2 2 13 11 4 2 4 9 12 28

8th Caersws 18 5 5 0 15 9 1 2 5 9 16 25

9th Llanelli 18 4 4 2 13 13 1 4 3 7 9 23

10th Afan Lido 18 4 2 2 16 14 2 3 5 8 14 23

11th Port Talbot Town 18 4 2 2 12 6 1 5 4 12 15 22

12th Haverfordwest 18 5 4 1 17 7 0 3 5 5 13 22

13th Connah's Quay 18 4 2 2 12 8 2 1 7 9 19 21

14th Welshpool 18 2 6 2 13 12 1 5 2 7 9 20

15th Newtown 18 3 3 2 11 10 0 5 5 13 22 17

16th Cefn Druids 18 3 3 2 15 14 0 3 7 3 15 15

17th Porthmadog 18 2 5 3 11 12 1 0 7 5 20 14

18th Caernarfon Town 18 2 2 5 10 18 0 3 6 4 16 11

Topscorer

Pos Player Club Apps Gls

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Mattie Davies Cwmbran Town 18 12

2nd Danny Stevens Airbus UK 16 (1) 12

3rd Jon Keaveney Rhyl 17 10

4th Paul Roberts Bangor City 16 9

5th Gary Powell Rhyl 18 9

</pre>

Wednesday 1st January 2002

With hangover in toe I awake to the news that Cwmbran Town's Tony Wilcox has again been awarded the Manager of the Month award, ok his side did win three of their six games last month but I'd hardly say they were the form team, strange things are indeed a foot.

Closer to home Mr Sutton rings me for our monthly chat, he's pleased with everything except the bank balance - now an unerring debt of £120,013 - not good but better than the -£400,000 it was before Christmas. I ask for another injection of cash, it's met with a laugh and a 'we'll see'. Sometimes he can be a complete ****.

Saturday 5th January 2002

We visit Farrar Road, Bangor today the home of surprise, surprise - Bangor City. Peter Davenports side are third in the table and without Neill Rimmer it was to prove a tough test.

Warren Gibbs opened the scoring for Bangor with eighteen minutes gone but soon we'd drawn level - Mark Atkins thirtieth minute pot-shot surprising everyone to bring us back into the game. At half time Bangor were back in front tough Egyptian midfielder Tarek Mostafa drilling home from the edge of the area.

The second half started in frenetic style, frustrating all for us, we were creating chances but weren't scoring - if one went in more would follow though, that I was sure of and it took a bit of genius to make it so. Andrew Martin curling home a perfect twenty-yard free kick with just fifteen minutes left on the clock. Three minutes later we took the lead Jeremy Goss lashing home a long range volley. While I'd have settled for just that we took it up another notch and with time running out Danny Stevens got in on the act hitting a fierce shot home having been teed up by Leon Bell.

Wednesday 9th January 2002

So, onto Lean Bell. His time at the club started slowly but recently he has really come into his own in the centre of midfield - something he capped off with a man-of-the-match performance in the last game. Well done to him.

The news from Caernarfon Town is that they've sacked their manager Waynne Phillips, they may be bottom of the league but an experienced pro like Waynne could surely have turned it around eventually. Couldn't he? Centre back Mark Winstanley is the favourite to take over.

In the Welsh League Cup Final Connah's Quay Nomads won thanks to a a 1-0 result against Bangor City. Steve McCormick getting the only goal of the game.

Saturday 12th January 2002

So the first home fixture of the new year and Afan Lido the visitors, we were the happiest after the fixture - guess who? Scoring the only goal of the game? Yes me! Coming on at the break I tucked away my first league goal of the season. That's four in all. The most important thing is that we're still top of the table though, now by an impressive six points from second placed Rhyl.

Monday 14th January 2002

Caernarfon Town moved fast to replace Waynne Philips and achieved quite a coup when Chris Waddle strolled out to be introduced to the press. He was a good player but will he be able to cut it as a manager? After all, he struggled in his last appointment at Burnley.

While here at the 'Morfa' we could be about to loose one of our number - Bedlington Terriers have apparently tabled a bid for on-loan 'keeper Lee Marshall, whilst not being directly involved in the team since joining Lee is a vital back-up and if we lose him it'll mean I'll have to sign another 'keeper.

Wednesday 16th January 2002

As expected Lee Marshall has taken up the offer of regular first team football and moves to Bedlington Terriers in a £2,000 transfer from Sutton United. Any spare 'keepers out there? Lee Evans is immediately put to task. We'll have to see just who he comes up with.

Goalkeepers are a strange bunch, as everyone knows they're as vital to any squad as any player and once you've got a good one you don't want to let them go. We're fortunate in my opinion that currently we have two excellent 'keepers on the books - both of whom are at different stages in their career - On the one hand current first choice Andrew Marriott is coming to the end of the his time playing football, although I'm sure he'll be the first to admit he's got a good few seasons in him yet. His current rival for the number one jersey - Lee Worgan - just eighteen, already rated highly by his former club Wimbledon after a glittering loan spell at non-league Aylesbury . I see him very much as a player for the future, he just seems to improve with every training session.

Saturday 19th January 2002

Well we're dealt a blow almost as soon as we set foot in Aberystwyth's Park Avenue - Danny Stevens twisting his ankle in the warm-up forcing him to sit out not only this game but possibly the next two - not good, especially with him being our & the leagues current top scorer. Into his place comes nineteen-year-old Austrian forward Michael Peischl - one for the future - today is his debut. He did well, putting in a good performance and testing their 'keeper on more than one occasion. The game itself was over as a contest as soon as Aberystwyth's Bari Morgan had been dismissed for an elbow on Simon Morgan after twenty-five minutes - we were already one-up through Jeremy Goss by this time and proceeded to rub salt in what appeared to be an ever increasing wound when Neil Pointon headed home just before half time. It finished 2-0, but more importantly we moved seven points clear of new second placers Bangor City.

Elsewhere Chris Waddle's reign as Caernarfon Town manager got off to an inauspicious start - they lost 2-0 at home to Cwmbran Town

Wednesday 23rd January 2002

Good news today! Neill Rimmer returned to training after his knee injury, he might have some difficulty getting back into the side though, such is the form of trio Bell, Atkins and Goss.

One player who has been effective since signing is Dave Barnett, the big Cayman Islander has settled in really well and is currently keeping captain David Hughes out of the side - something I know for a fact Hughes isn't happy about. This was made perfectly clear in a meeting he arranged with me on Monday, basically he wants his place back - I told him what he had to do - he accepted it and that was the end of that. He'll be back in my plans soon enough, just for now I wanted something a little different.

Saturday 26th January 2002

And so we finish the month at our adopted 'home' - Port Talbot Town our foes today, it's wet, windy and extremely treacherous out on the now cut up surface of the 'Morfa,' it doesn't really seem to affect the players too much though and we're able to pass the ball around on the somewhat slick areas that inhabit the flanks.

For all our fancy footwork in the first half we fail to make a breakthrough so at half time I do the only sensible thing and bring myself on upfront - before you say anything I am the only fully fit striker on the bench, besides who better - I've played well in a supersubesque role this season. Before I can blink we're two-nil up and the game is in the bag. This management lark is easy when you're on top - I just hope I don't ever discover what it's like to be struggling at the bottom. I do admit though I have a quiet game and aren't involved in either of the goals, just for the record - it's Mark Atkins who opens the scoring as he heads home a Neil Pointon cross just after the hour mark. Four minutes later another header - this time from Andrew Martin, from a Leon Bell cross wraps things up and we move nine points clear!

Wednesday 30th January 2002

Well I end the month on a high note, not. Training injuries don't happen all that much if your club is careful or has top of the range facilities. Well we try to be careful and most of the time we succeed but well as for the facilities... Well, they're not quite there yet and have a hell of a long way to go. I for one suffered first hand from them yesterday. Stretching to reach a loose ball on the side of a training pitch my control let me down and the ball subsequently span off behind me and continued for a few yards. I jogged after it but lost my footing in what on closer inspection looked like a bit of a rabbit hole - falling arse over tit and twisting my knee in the process - whilst the playing squad and the coaching staff were ****ing themselves laughing I was in agony but soon regained my composure to hobble off into the physios room. Prognosis - strained knee ligaments - no games for three weeks.

I'll get you wabbit!

Saturday 2nd February 2002

Whilst nursing my injured knee I was delighted to be the recipient of a bottle of champagne - the reason? I'd won an award - Manager of the Month for January after the team had won all four of it's games. I'm not going to drink it though - I'm saving it for the players and staff, they deserve it more than me, after all I just pick the team.

And so we travel to Wrexham, NEWI Cefn Druids are our hosts and we have a 'new' well 'old' face in our ranks - Clive Mendonca is finally fit again to play and I have no hesitation in naming him in the starting line-up. It was touch and go for a while but having come through a reserve and a training match unscathed I think he's ready. Also, he's clearly raring to go and looks at least a stone lighter than when he joined us - someone has been working out. The match itself was a bit of a none event - Leon Bell scored twice and Andrew Martin screamed home a free kick to make it 3-0, not a bad days work and for once the Manager of the Month curse didn't strike.

Thursday 7th February 2002

It appears our weekend win at Plaskynaston Lane was followed by some major ructions in Wrexham as the news filters through that chairman Mike Pritchard has given twenty-eight-year-old player/manager Alan Morgan the boot. Cefn Druids are seventeenth in the league and haven't won since the first week of November so it's not really much of a shock.

Morgan apparently wants to get back into the game quickly, preferably as a player. I'm tempted to give him a call but with a dearth of decent right sided defenders at the club already, it'd be a fairly pointless exercise. Why buy for the sake of buying?

Saturday 9th February 2002

We're given a break from the league today, but not the fixtures making our way to Port Talbot to face Afan Lido at the Runtech Stadium. Our journey is almost cut short after the coach decides it's not going to start but after a fair bit of pushing and pulling we get it going and we're soon at the ground. To the winner a place in the Quarter Finals of the Welsh Cup. With home advantage Afan Lido are clearly up for it but at half time it's us who go in with our noses in front, just - "Big" Dave Barnett powering home a header from an Andrew Martin free kick on the stroke of half time, a nice time for the thirty-four-year-old to open his account.

The second half starts with a snap, Afan Lido pulling one back from long range through Paul Evans but we're soon back in front - the goal scorer - Clive Mendonca. He latches onto a Goss through pass and neatly dispatches it past the 'keeper before running towards the bench with a smile as big as the Millennium Stadium on his lips. He mouths - 'that was for you' to me but I shout back no 'that was for you'. He deserves it, his first goal for the club in a season much maligned by injury - the first of many (hopefully). From there on we move in for the kill, or at least Dave Barnett does, obviously sensing that at his age he needs a change of position - yes, he's discovered the killer strikers instinct. Before this game he'd scored just five goals in a fifteen year career. It's seven now - as he smashes home a loose ball on the turn in the box. 3-1 and Quarter Finals here we come.

Monday 11th February 2002

After a morning spent by the phone we discover it's Rhyl, at their Belle Vue ground, in March for the next round of the Cup.

Val Owen joins me on the sidelines with a thigh strain. Neill Rimmer re-enters the first eleven after a couple of sub appearances.

One player rejoining the scene though is striker Danny Stevens, it does leave me with a slight selection problem though, albeit a good one - Andrew Martin, Clive Mendonca and Danny - three into two just doesn't go.

Saturday 16th February 2002

NEWI Cefn Druids appoint Gareth Powell as manager but we've got bigger fish to fry - namely Llianell at 'Fortress Morfa' as it's becoming known. We take an early lead - the quiet but ever effective Jan-Harm Schippers blasting home a sixteenth minute penalty after Martin is fouled but our lead lasts for less than two minutes - the experienced David D'Auria hitting a well placed drive from distance that left Marriott clutching at thin air. Never fear though as retake the lead before the half is out. Andrew Martin heading home a corner from the newly recalled Neill Rimmer. Danny Stevens comes on at the break it is he who seals the win - crashing home a superb volley that left 'keeper Robert Hidle floundering and the crossbar shaking. The only bad news is when Schippers is carried off at full time, fortunately his injury isn't as serious as first suspected - just strained knee ligaments, he'll be out for three weeks.

Wednesday 20th February 2002

So a midweek game after a long, long period without one, that must we're entering the final ten games of the season, and so we are. Caersws the team we face, their Recreation Ground isn't at first sight that impressive but nonetheless if things go our way we could be playing in somewhere like the San Siro or Old Trafford next season - oh hell I can dream can't I? European football would go along way to help bringing in such much needed funds, although it would be critical that we succeeded. Not really something Welsh clubs are noted for in European competition, ah well it's a long way off yet anyway, don't count your chickens and all that...

...anyway enough dreaming. We're forced into a slight defensive reshuffle - Schippers is out so Simon Morgan - somewhat of an unsung hero is moved to right back, with David Hughes and Dave Barnett in the centre. Barnett also takes the captaincy. The first half is as dull a game as I've seen this season, except for one moment of absolute class on the stroke of half time. Dave Barnett won the ball in the defence (no that's not it), he then found Leon Bell on the left of the pitch (nope not yet), he chested it down and turned his marker before firing off a lobbed pass to just in front of the edge of the box (getting closer) Clive Mendonca brought the ball down well with his back to goals (nearly there), Cruyff turned past a defender (Countdown - 3), shimmied inside another (2) and then proceeded to bend the ball from long range into the top corner of the net (1 - Gooooooaaaaalllll!), keeper left with no chance, nonchalant wave of hand to supporters, oh half time. I think some players are blessed.

Anyway while the first half was lifeless the second sprung into life - Leon Bell scoring early on to give us a two-nil lead, Caersws pulled one back with fifteen to go but it was always going to be Mendonca's day, not quite as extravagant as his first but a quality strike nonetheless - volleying a Bell cross back across the 'keeper from a tight angle. It finished 3-1

Saturday 23rd February 2002

We have a legend in our midst today, no not Clive Mendonca - Chris Waddle - so, yep you've guessed it Caernarfon are our guests at the 'Morfa.' Since taking over Chris' side have won two of his six games in charge although his side are firmly rooted to the bottom of the league. Neill Rimmer injures himself in the warm up so I decide it's time to give myself only my second start of the season (the other also came in the league - way back on the opening day of the season). We don't show them any remorse though and are soon two goals to the good Andrew Martin hits his seventeenth of the season with an angled drive before yep, you guessed it - I get on the score sheet - that's five for the season now. It's another for the scrap book, Clive Mendonca passes the ball inside a defender I strike it low at goal, the 'keeper can only push it back to me and I bludgeon it past him with all the power and might I can muster - emphatic but satisfying, if slightly over the top! But who really cares? With the job done I play a slightly withdrawn role for the second half - sitting deep in front of our defence and spraying passes about, being the manager does have it benefits (not sure the rest of the lads would agree though). In fact it's one of these passes that gives us our third and final goal as I chip the ball between two defenders for substitute Danny Stevens to run onto, seizing his chance he cleverly draws the 'keeper before rounding him and slotting the ball home for 3-0. We're now eleven points clear of second placed Bangor City

Saturday 2nd March 2002

Apart from winning the February Manger of the Month award, (well we did win all five games - nine in a row now) It's been a quiet week, which I think is shown by the fact that my first entry this week marks a game. It's been welcome though, I'm not complaining - training has gone without a hitch and everyone seems to be in fairly good spirits.

So to the Cwmbran Stadium, where we face well Cwmbran. I give myself another start - mainly due to Val Owen still not being 100% as we look to get our first win against Cwmbran this season. So far in the three games we've drawn two and they've won one. At half time it's nil-nil. 'Danny get warmed up you're going on.' Three minutes later, guess who pops up to volley home an Andrew Martin cross? Yep Danny Stevens - twenty for the season now and he'll definitely be starting the next game. Sadly we just can't push on and kill the game and before we know it Cwmbran have drawn level Jodie Jenkins heading home a Pattimore cross to seal an eight man passing move. We may have dropped points but we're still nine clear (perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to talk about the San Siro, Milan before, perhaps the San Siro, Welling - more appropriate? Maybe a pre-season friendly?

Wednesday 6th March 2002

Neill Rimmer was welcomed back into training with open arms today, finally overcoming his thigh strain. One player who was absent though was French centre back Ludovic Troussier, he asked for two weeks leave, it was granted. He's not in my plans after a clear the air meeting and wants to try and find himself a club closer to home. Good Luck Ludo. He's only played one game this season, he did well but no disrespect to him - he's no Dave Barnett (I think that says it all)

Saturday 9th March 2002

It's Cup day again and the streets of Rhyl are filled with people excited at the prospect of their home town side being just two games away from a cup final. Well not really, it's pretty much as it is normally on a match day, but anyway we go into the game with Val Owen returning the first eleven - I fall on my sword and take a place on the bench. Also In is Danny Stevens - Clive Mendonca is slightly jaded and understands the need to rest. The first half doesn't go well, Rhyl have a game plan to sit deep and break - it works perfectly and at half time they go in with a 0-1 lead, Marcus Taylor crashing home a ball after driving from midfield into the box. The second didn't start to well either Kevin Jones slotting home a penalty, 0-2, surely game over?

But No! Rhyl hadn't reckoned for Danny Stevens. Sixty seconds after the penalty he caught their defence flat footed and drove the ball home - 1-2. Four minutes later he beat his man on the right, skinned another defender and whipped in a cross deep to the other side of the area - arriving like a thirty-seven-year-old Carlos Alberto, albeit several stones heavier, unshaven and with several pies in the tank was Neil Pointon who hit the ball full on the volley. Bang! 2-2 and the nets properly still shaking now. Ten minutes later - turn around complete - Stevens again - powering a Leon Bell cross past the 'keeper with his head. He gets the man-of-the-match award and we go into the Semi Final where we'll face one of Bangor City, Connah's Quay or Carmarthen Town.

Wednesday 13th March 2002

Cup Semi Draw Day, try saying that with a mouth full of coffee. We've got Connah's Quay at their Deeside Stadium. Game to be played in April. Bangor City have the pleasure of hosting Carmarthen Town in the other game.

Other news Jan-Harm Schippers returned to fitness and also training, he's been somewhat of an unsung hero this season. He may not be the rampaging type of wing back some clubs deploy but he's solid and stoic and knows how to defend and when to make just the right pass. The four penalties he's tucked away this season have also come in handy.

Saturday 16th March 2002

Today we go to the Maesydre, Welshpool - the result - we win 3-1, but it's not plain sailing. I'm not trying to sound boastful, today was a difficult match made more so by an inexplicable refereeing decision after just two minutes. In the swirling winds Shaun O' Leary played a delightful up and under into our area, Bontcho Guentchev was onto it like a flash, but so was David Hughes - the result both players looking at the ball - both players then go flying - the ball goes out of ball. The referee a Mr Paul Thomas decides it's a penalty much to the delight of the home fans and the bemusement of both sets of players and management. Nonetheless O' Leary steps up and sends Marriott the wrong way to give his side the lead.

Fortunately we hit back - Val Owen driving the ball low from thirty yards after twenty minutes, then before half time Mark Atkins tapping home to give us the lead after Martin had seen his free kick parried by Paul Whitfield. Two minutes after half time the game was over as a contest - Andrew Martin sliding the ball past Whitfield from what looked an impossible angle after getting behind the Welshpool defence.

Wednesday 20th March 2002

Simon Morgan will miss the rest of the season, it's a big blow for our title run in but hopefully we'll be able to soldier on without him. The damage is again done by our training pitch, this time his foot gets caught in the turf as he turns to keep goal side of his marker during a small sided game. The result a badly torn angle ligament and the likely hood of at least two months out.

The transfer deadline comes and goes without any action with regards to us. Not surprising really, after all we're skint. Apparently one or two English clubs have been looking at Danny Stevens though - that's all they're allowed to do, he's too important to the team at the moment, although I'd never begrudge a player the chance to move into a full time league.

One player who does leave is Ludovic Troussier, after much deliberation it's decided that we'll release him from the final year of his contract. He's delighted as he leaves the training ground for perhaps the final time, wishing everyone a good life and all the best for the future. I liked Ludovic, not as a player but a person - always smiling, always happy. I think he was just glad to be involved most of the time. He'll certainly be missed by many, although sadly not for his on the field abilities - a bit of a downer for a footballer I'd imagine.

Saturday 23rd March 2002

Y Traeth is possibly the worst stadium we've visited this year, it makes even our real home ground look inviting and although the pitch is slightly better, only just though. CPD Porthmadog play here, a side I had the chance to play for once, but I decided against it. Who knows where'd I would be today. They currently sit bottom of the table (seemingly Caernarfon have picked up of late) and we do them no favours (although not in the manor I'd have liked). Rhodri Thomas makes his debut at right back and Chris Scott comes onto the bench for the first time, but apart from that I make no real changes.

Like any side coming up against a top of the table team, you find yourself looking to go that extra yard, everyone wants to beat the potential champions. Andrew Marriott has to make several fine saves before we take the lead with our first another Andrew, this time striker Martin dispatches the ball past Andy Fisher with ease and we're on our way after just a quarter of an hour. It lasts no more than a minute though as Porthmadog seize on a mistake from Hughes who hesitates in clearing a loose ball just enough for Hogan to nip in and drive home his first goal for his club. Disappointing yes but not the end of the world as before half-time Jeremy Goss nets his fifth of the season - a volley from a Rhodri Thomas cross. From now on it's a case of who wants it more and chances come and go at either end, eventually we take one. It comes right on full time - Clive Mendonca (on as a late sub) picking up a loose ball in midfield, advancing and then curling the ball home - the ball in the net, the ref blows the whistle and we stay nine points clear going into the final five games. The game isn't always easy but a win is a win.

Tuesday 26th March 2002

We held a press conference today, only a small one mind. Basically it was to announce that Neil Pointon and Clive Mendonca would be joining the coaching staff from next season onwards. Neither are expected to retire just yet, although Neil has suggested that at thirty-seven, he might not be up to playing much next season. For Clive it's a chance to step up onto the first rung of what I think will be a very successful career in the game as a coach or manager. He didn't waste his time out injured, hobbling through several coaching courses and gaining some pretty badges along the way. If I hadn't done them alongside him he'd be a more qualified man than I.

Newtown AFC are looking for a new manager it was revealed today, Brian Coyne was sacked by Keith Harding, apparently the team needs a fresh approach.

Closer to home and there seems to be something of an injury mystery afflicting Jan-Harm Schippers, he's going to be out for up to two weeks after a domestic incident, he just won't tell us what happened, although a smile comes across his face when asked. Badly twisted knee is the problem, sustained how? One day I'm sure he'll tell us, although the scratch marks on his back do seem to give it away slightly.

Saturday 30th March 2002

Total Network Solutions came to the 'Morfa' today. A win, followed by Bangor not getting a result would see us practically crowned champions, what with there being only four games left and us being nine points clear. But it was never going to be easy, especially with T.N.S being third in the league.

We didn't start well and at half time found ourselves a goal down. The half time introduction of Clive Mendonca pepped things enough for us to equalise. Yes, Mendonca the scorer - his fifth of the season. This time collecting a pass from Martin to slot low past Dean Williams with his left foot. Usually this would kick us completely into action, but today the lethargy stayed and for once we found ourselves looking at a defeat. The goal that sealed it came not long afterwards Andy Ruscoe scoring a quite superb dipping volley from thirty yards out that could quite easily have graced a higher level. Bangor City won 2-1, and in turn cut our league to six points with four games to play. The champagne is on ice.

Monday 1st April 2002

So the first of April, but not a time for fools - Peter Davenport is given the Manager of the Month award for March, deservedly I have to admit.

One man (ager) who'll be hoping for similar success is Ian Ferguson - the former Rangers midfielder, previously at Dunfermline has made his first steps into management by being appointed boss at Newtown AFC.

Mr Sutton gave me some excellent news today, just a pity I thought he was joking, he and his associates have agreed to inject some money into the club - with effect from today. The £170,000 clears our debt and leaves us with a much healthier looking £133,423 in the bank, apparently I've got some transfer funds now as well - brilliant!!

Wednesday 3rd April 2002

I have words with Neill Rimmer today, but only good ones. I want him to become my assistant manager - he's flattered and agrees on the spot, signing a new contract within the afternoon. A coaching staff of five and myself may seem a bit excessive at this level but if we're to ever progress outside of the Welsh Premier, i.e. In Europe then we'll need a slightly professional outlook off the pitch as well as on it.

Saturday 6th April 2002

And so to the Welsh Cup Semi Final. Deeside Stadium is the venue and Connah's Quay Nomads are the opponents. But before it another sacking and a fast appointment in the managerial merry-go-round that seems to have inhabited the Welsh Premier recently. Porthmadog get rid of Viv Williams and within hours reveal Australian former Liverpool midfielder Craig Johnston as their new boss. Intriguing.

But anyway back to the match, after our miserable performance in the league I'm hoping for a response but despite taking the lead we fall to a 3-1 defeat. Any hopes of a double have faded fast, I just hope our season isn't falling apart. Danny Stevens scored our goal - driving the ball low past the 'keeper having been found my Mark Atkins. Tommy Mutton was the hero for Connah's Quay - hitting two fine solo efforts. They'll face Bangor in the next round while we be nursing a bitter hangover.

Tuesday 9th April 2002

After the disappointment of our cup exit and before that the hollowness of our display against Total Network Solutions I decided to get all the lads in for extra training and session of bonding. Well not really bonding I just want them to know that they've come so far that it would be a massive shame were we to not get anything out of it. We have four games left and are six points clear of second place. If we don't win this title we have only ourselves to blame.

Saturday 13th April 2002

So just four games to go. Haverfordwest come to the 'Morfa,' we may have been rocking in recent weeks but today we totally dominate and goals from Danny Stevens and Andrew Martin give us a 2-0 win. Bangor City lose 2-1 at Caersws meaning we now only need one point from our final three games to secure the league title, relief has never come through me in such a fashion before - we can do this. In all honestly it's our fault we've slipped up in the first place but hopefully I think it was to late in the day to throw it all away, or I at least hope it is.

Tuesday 16th April 2002

We travel to Carmarthen Town safe in the knowledge that a point or three will secure ourselves the title. Carmarthern start the game full of vigour and our recent poor jittery performance is back - it looks like the lads didn't listen to my little talk. It's 0-2 at half time - young forward Pal Lindsay twice being given the freedom of our defence to score. The second half improves slightly for us Danny Stevens hitting his twenty-fifth goal of the season, but it's not enough. The champagne is getting well and truly iced and I find myself getting more and more frustrated I just want the season to end now, we can't throw it all away? Can we?

Saturday 20th April 2002

Our last home game of the season. Rhyl the opposition. A win and it's ours, even a point will do. At half time it's nil-nil a tense game has been punctuated by no real chances. Forty-five minutes of the same and we'll be lifting the title. I bring myself on just after the hour - well it is my final home appearance in an Airbus shirt and go close with a few free kicks but apart from that we don't create anything of note. Fortunately neither do Rhyl. When the referee blows his whistle I drop to my knees, we've done it, we've won the Welsh Premier. I lift myself onto my feet but before I know it I'm on the ground again as Neill Rimmer and Scott Williams engulf me with hugs and send me sprawling. One thousand fans invade the 'Morfa' pitch as players, and coaches, are lifted up on shoulders and paraded around. For today Airbus UK are the Champions. Europe here we come.

Saturday 27th April 2002

After a week of celebration our season drew to a close at Newtown AFC's Latham Park. I won't go into great detail of the game just to say that we didn't win, but nor did we lose - 2-2 on a wet April day - Danny Stevens hitting his twenty-sixth of the season before player/coach Scott Williams got his first of the season. After the match we travelled back to Broughton and drank to our hearts content.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Welsh Premier Division 2001/2 Table

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

1st C AIRBUS UK 34 12 3 2 31 12 10 3 4 36 21 72

2nd Bangor City 34 12 1 4 31 11 9 6 2 30 17 70

3rd T.N. Solutions 34 10 4 3 27 15 8 5 4 21 14 63

4th Rhyl 34 9 7 1 29 18 5 6 6 28 27 55

5th Haverfordwest 34 11 4 2 29 13 4 5 8 20 27 54

6th Carmarthen Town 34 12 0 5 43 24 3 5 9 25 32 50

7th Afan Lido 34 9 5 3 34 26 4 4 9 15 25 48

8th Connah's Quay 34 10 3 4 33 16 3 5 9 19 31 47

9th Cwmbran Town 34 9 6 2 28 17 2 8 7 23 32 47

10th Port Talbot Town 34 8 6 3 31 20 3 6 8 19 25 45

11th Llanelli 34 8 6 3 23 18 3 4 10 17 28 43

12th Caersws 34 7 7 3 25 22 3 3 11 18 38 40

13th Welshpool 34 4 9 4 20 18 3 8 6 15 23 38

14th Aberystwyth Town 34 5 5 7 20 25 4 4 9 13 25 36

15th Newtown 34 5 7 5 26 28 2 7 8 24 36 35

16th Caernarfon Town 34 6 3 8 18 24 2 4 11 12 30 31

17th Cefn Druids 34 5 5 7 24 28 1 5 11 12 27 28

18th Porthmadog 34 4 8 5 21 22 2 1 14 10 35 27

</pre>

After the league season had finished Bangor City made off with the Welsh Cup beating Connah's Quay 1-0 - Paul Roberts the scorer. An exact reserve of the League Cup final, where as previously mentioned Connah's Quay won by the same scoreline. Odd. Bangor were the inform cup side this season, making it to another final - that of the Premier Cup. Swansea were their opponents though and dished out a 3-0 defeat to the so-called cup experts.

And, so I move onto the end of season award. The Welsh Player of the Year award goes to someone who was actually a revelation this season, although not for us - Seventeen-year-old Carmarthen Town midfielder Owen Thomas is his name. Blessed with skill, pace and work rate I'm sure he'll go on to become a top class professional, if he gets snapped up eventually. Bangor City striker Paul Roberts comes second - twenty-four goals in fifty games this season are always going to attract plaudits. Third place went to one of our own ilk - Andrew Martin, picking up some plaudits, finally.

And so onto the Top Goalscorer award, which of course goes to the player who scores the most league goals in a single season. If I were Danny Stevens I would be mighty ****ed off right now. The reason is because despite scoring exactly the same amount of league goals at Cwmbran Town's Mattie Davies - which by the is nineteen goals - it is he and not Danny who comes away with the award. Explain that? Newtown's Andrew Whitticase comes third - eighteen goals for him.

Danny did pick up one award for himself though, that of the Welsh Young Player of the Year award. Totally deserved in my opinion twenty-six goals in forty games - not bad for a twenty-one year old. Second place goes to Total Network Solutions defender Richard Duffy, who I noted as a potential star at the start of the season. While third place goes to Connah's Quay Nomads right winger Sam Pugh - he recorded nineteen assists this season and caused teams countless amounts of damage.

Last but by no means least the Welsh Manager of the Year award. Third place went to young Deryn Brace - player/manager of Haverfordwest Town, whom he lead to fifth place this season. Second was awarded to Total Network Solutions boss Ken McKenna, obviously their third place finish and earlier Uefa Cup exploits (they beat Crvena Zvesda before bowing out to Auxerre in the second round, having had to come though the qualifying rounds). The winner, was well myself. A fitting and proud recognition for our season of triumph - I think I deserve it, at least.

As I was at the start I'm nervous and excited now at the end, although for entirely different reasons. When I was first asked to become the manager of Airbus UK I never in my mind imagined us winning the league and obtaining European qualification and even at Christmas when it became clear we were going to be motoring towards a title tilt rather than the expected struggle not to finish last I didn't allow myself the time to dream. But while this is just the end of this story it's actually the beginning of another - Airbus UK now have the footing on which to build something more solid on. We don't want to be a one season wonder after all.

Airbus UK Squad

No Name Position(s) Nat Born Age Caps Gls Wages Expires Value

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Atkins, Mark DM RC ENG 14.8.68 33 - - £180 21.4.04 £16K

- Barnett, Dave D C CYM 16.4.67 35 - - £200 4.5.04 £8K

- Bell, Leon M RC ENG 23.9.80 21 - - £180 21.5.04 £12K

- Blair, David D/M L WAL 8.1.70 32 - - £95 21.5.04 £3K

- Bradshaw, Darren D/M C ENG 19.3.67 35 - - £180 21.5.04 £3K

- Calliste, Ramon S C WAL 16.12.85 16 - - £85 21.5.04 £16K

- Coupe, Matthew F RC WAL 7.10.78 23 - - £180 21.5.04 £28K

- Dickinson, Robert AM/F LC ENG 27.11.83 18 - - £70 12.5.04 £10K

- Draper, Craig M L WAL 4.12.82 19 - - £75 21.5.05 £12K

- Goss, Jeremy AM C WAL 11.5.65 36 9 - £180 21.5.04 £12K

- Harris, Carl M C WAL 23.7.86 15 - - £110 Rolling £6K

- Hughes, David D C WAL 1.2.78 24 - - £75 21.5.04 £26K

- Hughes, Mark D C WAL 3.2.62 40 - - £90 21.5.04 £3K

- Laffan, Laurence AM R WAL 13.5.80 21 - - £75 21.5.04 £6K

- Marriott, Andrew GK WAL 11.10.70 31 5 - £200 8.5.04 £60K

- Martin, Andrew F RC WAL 28.2.80 22 - - £110 21.5.04 £50K

- Mendonca, Clive S C ENG 9.9.68 33 - - £180 21.5.05 £28K

- Michael, Jamie D/AM/F L WAL 25.10.78 23 - - £75 21.5.04 £12K

- Morgan, Simon D/DM RC ENG 5.9.66 35 - - £180 21.5.04 £4K

- Nogan, Kurt F RC WAL 9.9.70 31 - - £180 21.5.04 £16K

- Owen, Val M C WAL 17.2.72 30 - - £180 21.5.04 £45K

- Parry, Chris D L ENG 25.9.84 17 - - £70 12.5.04 £8K

- Peischl, Michael F RLC AUT 20.10.82 19 - - £180 21.5.04 £14K

- Pointon, Neil D L ENG 28.11.64 37 - - £180 21.5.05 £4K

- Rimmer, Neill AM R ENG 13.11.67 34 - - £200 26.5.05 £8K

- Schippers, Jan-Harm DM RL HOL 16.3.73 29 - - £180 21.5.05 £35K

- Scott, Chris D RC ENG 10.7.79 22 - - £150 21.5.04 £12K

- Stevens, Danny F C ENG 10.9.80 21 - - £75 21.5.04 £14K

- Thomas, Rhodri D R WAL 21.10.77 24 - - £160 21.5.04 £26K

- Waggett, Jamie M/F RC ENG 6.10.64 37 - - £110 1.7.06 £4K

- Williams, Scott DM C WAL 7.8.74 27 - - £110 21.5.05 £9K

- Worgan, Lee GK WAL 24.3.83 19 - - £90 21.5.04 £5K

2001/2 Senior Club Stats

No Name Apps Gls Con Pens Asts Yel Red MoM Av R

- Atkins, Mark 35 (2) 8 0 0 6 0 0 1 7.24

- Barnett, Dave 21 2 0 0 0 4 0 6 7.76

- Bell, Leon 23 4 0 0 9 1 0 3 7.48

- Blair, David - - - - - - - - ----

- Bradshaw, Darren 3 (2) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.40

- Calliste, Ramon - - - - - - - - ----

- Coupe, Matthew 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.00

- Dickinson, Robert - - - - - - - - ----

- Draper, Craig - - - - - - - - ----

- Goss, Jeremy 40 5 0 0 12 2 0 1 6.92

- Harris, Carl - - - - - - - - ----

- Hughes, David 35 (1) 2 0 0 0 4 1 1 7.31

- Hughes, Mark - - - - - - - - ----

- Laffan, Laurence - - - - - - - - ----

- Marriott, Andrew 45 0 49 0 0 0 0 0 7.24

- Martin, Andrew 42 20 0 1 (1) 11 1 0 6 7.60

- Mendonca, Clive 9 (5) 5 0 0 1 1 0 0 7.21

- Michael, Jamie - - - - - - - - ----

- Morgan, Simon 35 0 0 0 1 2 1 1 7.34

- Nogan, Kurt 2 (3) 0 0 1 (0) 0 0 0 0 6.40

- Owen, Val 38 (1) 3 0 0 4 2 0 1 7.05

- Parry, Chris - - - - - - - - ----

- Peischl, Michael 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

- Pointon, Neil 45 3 0 0 3 0 0 0 6.64

- Rimmer, Neill 26 (2) 4 0 0 9 0 0 2 7.21

- Schippers, Jan-Harm 33 (3) 4 0 4 (4) 0 2 0 0 6.25

- Scott, Chris - - - - - - - - ----

- Stevens, Danny 34 (6) 26 0 0 3 0 0 3 7.67

- Thomas, Rhodri 7 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 6.71

- Waggett, Jamie 3 (14) 5 0 1 (1) 2 1 0 1 7.00

- Williams, Scott 15 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 6.60

- Worgan, Lee 0 (2) 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 6.50 </pre>

One player was missing from there - myself. I'll continue to manage Airbus for as long as they want me and if, although I no in todays game it's more likely a case of when I eventually leave I'll no doubt try and get a job elsewhere. I can't see myself giving up the game. I finished the season with five goals from three starts (+ fourteen substitute appearances), not bad for a thirty-seven year old. As you will probably no doubt, be able to tell I don't have much outside of the beautiful game, nothing happens in my life - just football, so in years to come no doubt I'll look back on this season and the ones, I hope that are as successful, which that follow. For now though I'll just say thank you for reading and goodbye....

Afterword - Home Comforts

Jamie Waggett kept his job for the 2002/03 season, although their was never really any doubt after such a successful first season at the club. His second season in charge started with the loss of several key players (Simon Morgan, Mark Hughes, Darren Bradshaw, Mark Atkins, Jeremy Goss and Myselficon_wink.gif ), through retirement although the signing of the then current Welsh Player of the Year Owen Thomas served as a boost to the club. The young winger costing a club record £30,000. He wasn't the only new signing but it certainly the one who was expected to do the most damage.

The European Diary

Wednesday the 26th of June 2002 is a day that will live in my memory for a long, long time to come. It was the day that it finally sunk in that we, Airbus UK would be playing in Europe next season. The reason? Because it was the day of the draw for the First Qualifying Phase of the European Champions Cup. We waited with baited breath as the draw began, we didn't have to wait long for our first foes to be known... Vardar from the FYR of Macedonia will face... Shamrock Rovers of the Republic of Ireland. Tirana from Albania will face... Skonto Riga of Latvia. BATE Borisov of Belarus will face... Airbus UK of Wales...

So a trip to Belarus it would be, not the nicest of trips but not necessarily the most daunting. But anyway there was another draw going on. Although we still had to get through the First Round the Second phase was already being decided. This time we got a home draw in the first leg, boy would we need it - Turkish side Fenerbahçe, provided we won through.

Wednesday 10th July 2002

Fourteen days after the draw takes place you join us as we travel to the Gorodskoy, situated in Borisov (Belarus), safe in the knowledge that whatever happened this season we would go down in history as the first Airbus UK side to participate in a European competition. I had no illusions of grandeur. We weren't going to win this, nor would we even make it to the first round. And that's only if we come through this round, and then another, and then one more after that. Things are stacked against sides from a smaller nation, although nothing is ever easy in football, just as it isn't in life - but the two for many are completely separate. As it is we were always going to be the perennial underdogs. But, as they say 'Every Dog has it's Day', maybe today would be ours.

The heat was almost unbearable before kick-off, possibly more to do with stress and tension than it actually being that hot. The players don't seem to notice this though and soon I find myself almost serene as a cooled breeze flutters around the stadium, I'm in the dugout unaware of what is set to play out in front of me.

In Owen Thomas I signed a player whom I felt had real potential, at seventeen, he was probably considered too raw to move to England or Scotland but that didn't bother me, I could see his quality shine though. And so it was that after just five minutes of play, Owen Thomas did, indeed, show a little bit of quality. Andrew Martin fed the ball into him on the left hand edge of the area, taking a touch he swivelled past his marker before lashing the ball across the 'keeper Kazbek Osipenko. The stadium was sent into an unerring quiet, we were leading 0-1, do you dare to dream?

Perhaps we shouldn't have. As in Igor Chumachenko Bate possess a player rated higher than any member of our squad, their own Owen Thomas in a way, except this one is twenty-five and being tracked by a score of clubs - most notably Galatasaray and HSV. What followed in the remaining forty minutes of the half will probably remain with me until I die, a complete master class from their maestro. Nine minutes gone and he drew the sides level. Turanok moved down the left wing before floating a cross seemingly over everyone in attack, but it was a tried and tested move or so it seemed as Chumackenko arrived late to lash the ball back across the goal in van Vasten-like fashion, simply stunning - it left myself applauding and Marriott gob smacked. We had to wait for his next strike, not long though. This one was all his own doing though. He collected the ball inside his own half and set about beating three players on his way into the box. Marriott had no chance after the midfielder got the luck of the rebound, his first shot well saved. 2-1. Ten minutes later it was three, we'd sustained them so far, keeping them out up to a point but when Chumackenko was felled inside the area - David Hughes the culprit, we knew it was perhaps curtains. He promptly got up and dispatched the ball low and hard past Marriott. His hat trick and BATE's third. Only a brave, foolish or the most of optimistic men would have bet on an Airbus comeback, in this or next leg.

But comeback we did, well to a point, at least making a fight of the second half. Danny Stevens even bringing us to within a goal of our opponents with an hour gone. Doing what he does best, he got on the end of a fine Owen Thomas cross to acrobatically volley the ball home. 3-2. But, sadly the damage had been done.

With the numerical & home advantage BATE went into overdrive and just four minutes after our goal stretched the lead again. Likhtorovich nonchalantly heading the ball over Marriott, with our defence stretched to braking point. We came back - Stevens hit the post with a header and Thomas had an effort strike the bar but it wasn't any surprise when BATE scored their fifth and the games final goal. Chumachenko getting above Owen Thomas at a corner to head powerfully home. What I would do to have a player of his quality in our midfield. 5-2.

From an outsiders viewpoint it looks like we've been crushed but I was proud of my boys today. The result wasn't there but who knows what might happen in the home leg.

Airbus UK - Andrew Marriott; Siôn Meredith, Jan-Harm Schippers, David Hughes (sent off '34), Dave Barnett ©; Val Owen, Dylan McPhee (Chris Scott '34), Leon Bell, Owen Thomas (Darren Campbell '88); Andrew Martin, Danny Stevens

Wednesday 17th July 2002

We need three goals. Will we get them? Well nothing in life is that simple and as we showed previously, perhaps our defence isn't nearly as watertight as I'd have liked. Our own maestro is missing today - no Owen Thomas, the late knock he picked up in Borisov turning out to be fairly seriously, hence he's ruled out for tonight and possibly another month after that. Another new signing - Mark Shaw, makes his debut in his place. Defender David Hughes serves his match ban. Chris Scott, who made his debut out in Belarus as a substitute makes his first start, something he'll be hoping to continue.

The 'Morfa Conwy' is packed tonight - 3,974 souls crowd the small archaic stands hoping, nay praying for something that would equate a miracle. As the teams are announced the small ground falls into hush, it doesn't last long though and when the players run out suddenly a cacophony of noise erupts from every side of the ground. A win today, in these circumstances would without doubt be the greatest moment in my already fledgling managerial career, but I had to dream and I sent the team out safe in the knowledge they would do their best, it was all I could of them. I waited with baited breath for the kick off...

When the odds are so stacked against you there really is only one way to play. Attack with vigour and defend with valour, it was lost on my players I think but they set out to play in the way which suited them best - with passion and enthusiasm. A cause is only lost once you give up. Three goals without reply and we'll be going to Turkey. Now come on! I wasn't stupid though, at the back of my mind I knew it was next to impossible... But I dreamt on. The game began...

After a cagey start we had the first attack, finally deciding to break the shackles and impose ourselves on the came. Danny Stevens got blocked off on his way to goal but the ball fell nicely for Leon Bell. Taking a touch to control the ball he proceeded to strike it low and hard at goal, Osipenko was equal to it though and palmed it aside. Minutes later debuting midfielder Mark Shaw found himself in possession on the right, Shaw is one of those players blessed with anticipation and a class of passing that only a few have, seeing a willing runner he sprays the ball Beckham-like diagonally into the box. Andrew Martin is the he's aiming for and he meets it full on the volley, it's perfectly weighted but with Osipenko beaten finds the crossbar instead of the netting. The crowd rocks back and forth behind in the shed behind the goal as does the BATE defence. The ball is half cleared but not far enough - We come back at them Stevens goes past his man and looks to play it inside him as he reaches the area, he does finding Shaw. The ball isn't the best though but bobbles invitingly for the midfielder, In my head I'm willing him to strike it, it's ripe for the taking - he does, left footed the ball arrows towards the top corner. Everything goes quiet as if in reverence, Osipenko takes off, he's got fingertips to it... But it's not enough. We've got one back, two to go and seventy minutes left to play. I raise a triumphant fist as Shaw is mobbed by his team mates.

BATE spring into attack, the until now ineffective Chumachenko collects a ball on the half way line and makes his way towards goal skipping past Stevens and Meredith on his way to the edge of the area. With the goal in his sights he shoots low, for a second it looks like he's caught Marriott unaware but somehow he manages to get down to it, turning the ball around the post at the last second. My heart in my I sigh the biggest sigh of relief I can collectively manage and after the corner comes to nothing we break...

Well, Leon Bell breaks, he heads the ball clear and proceeds to chase after it, beating a BATE midfielder to the ball he sprints over the half way line as players from both teams scurry to keep up with him. Coming inside he makes a beeline for goal but finding his way blocked he chooses instead to knock the ball out wide to Shaw. The midfielder takes a touch and arrows the ball towards Martin at the back post, it's headed out but not far, but we regain possession as Bell is onto it like a flash. With all his might he drills the ball low and hard at goal. Goal!!! 2-0!! I run up the touchline, followed by the rest of the bench as Leon is mobbed my team mates and fans. Twenty five minutes are all that's gone we can do this..

BATE again come at us, don't forget just one goal and we're basically finished. We can't afford to concede but by the same token we still need to score ourselves. Fortunately for us though Shmigero curls his shot clean over the bar after good work from Skripchenko. I breath again as does the home support. Thirty-five minutes in I lose my breath. Siôn Meredith, a summer signing from Carmarthen Town, advances with the ball from his position at left back, no one challenges so he continues down the left wing at a startling speed. As he reaches the area he checks inside but it's a trick with great aplomb he pirouettes back on himself leaving Skripchenko for dead and himself motoring towards the by-line. Without looking up he chips the ball to the far edge of the six yard box, it alludes all the BATE defenders but not Andrew Martin who meets it with all the force he can muster. Osipenko doesn't move and for a split second the whole ground goes quiet, suddenly there is a huge roar reverberating around the stadium, I look again - yes, yes it's gone in... ****ing hell!!! This time I can't control myself jumping up and down the touchline 3-0, we've actually done it. But as things settle down I realise we've still got a long, long, long way to go.

The rest of the half passes without incident until on the stroke of half time BATE progress menacingly towards goal. It's Chumachenko, he jinks past one man, then another as he makes his way into the area, somehow he's danced all the way through, just Marriott to beat, he takes aim, fires, great save. Marriott got fully behind it and down well to spoon the ball away, we survive. I tell myself just forty-five minutes more, something I find becomes a repeated mantra during the break.

BATE start like a bullet out of a gun, slick, precise and fast but Marriott is making save after save or the ball doesn't sit up right. They're clearly frustrated. I'm wishing the minutes away. Sixty, Sixty-five, Seventy, Seventy-five... They all pass without incident and it goes on. Eight, Eight-five, Ninet... No, No, they couldn't not after we've held them all this time. It's that man again - Chumachenko, he collects the ball from Skripchenko and arrows his away towards goal, he's only got one thing on his mind and this time he's not going to spare us. He plays a one-two with Shmigero on the edge of the box and again finds himself one-on-one with Marriott, the move worked to precision, almost. The ball skids fast on the summer turf, both players go for it, not batting an eyelid to each others progress. Chumachenko gets their first, Bang! The two players clash, the Belarusian falls to the ground. The ball spins out of play. Penalty! Penalty! He shouts, The referee looks long and hard, his linesman is flagging. My heart sinks, the referee - a Mr Brincat puts his whistle in his lips and blows long and hard. Goal-kick! Marriott places the ball and blasts it high into the night sky, the referee blows the whistle again. It's all over - Eric Brincat I love you!

Airbus UK - Andrew Marriott; Siôn Meredith, Jan-Harm Schippers (Rhodri Thomas '63), Chris Scott, Dave Barnett ©; Val Owen, Dylan McPhee, Leon Bell, Mark Shaw; Andrew Martin, Danny Stevens

Remember the players names they'll go down in history...

Wednesday 24th July 2002

Before the game we were compounded by the loss of Neill Rimmer through retirement, he'll continue as assistant manager. Today we face Fenerbahçe at the Morfa Conwy. I would have preferred the away leg first, but it wasn't to be so the Turkish side come to us looking to destroy us. I think we'll be lucky to go through but I know that if we play well we'll at least give them a game of it.

Today also gave us another draw to attend, we found out our plausible opponents should be get through. In the Third Qualifying Phase we'll face Sporting Lisbon of Portugal. I knew the games would get more difficult but these team are amazingly out of our league.

As I stood in the dressing room willing the lads on I made it clear that we mustn't concede tonight, an away goal at this level is nearly always a killer and the prospect of us scoring or even keeping a clean sheet in the away leg was surely preposterous, although there is always a slim chance. Nothing after all is cut and dried in football. But today, yet again, we are most definitely the underdogs.

Nearly four thousand souls were packed into the 'Morfa' tonight hoping for a miracle. We knew we were getting closer to the big time - David Elleray the referee. We started the game on the back foot. Tayfun finding Tuncay with a long throw-in, his shot testing Marriott to the full but fortunately Andrew's fingertips just managed to get the ball away. Just three minutes had gone, I knew it was going to be a long night. The ball was cleared but Fenerbahçe came back, wave after wave of attack. First Marriott saved well from a van Hooijdonk header then he managed to get down low to block a bouncing shot from the edge of the area. We couldn't break out, I couldn't breathe. Bestchastnykh and Roque Júnior were the next to go close - we'd reached the twenty minute mark without conceding. A success in itself.

Now it was our turn. Schippers cleared a loose ball up to the half way line. Andrew Martin nonchalantly flicked the ball over a defenders head and sprinted away down the left wing, cutting inside his defender he drew another before slipping the ball square to strike partner Danny Stevens. He controlled the ball easily, taking on his man he advanced into the box, there it was, a small piece of space, it's a chance. He draws his right foot back, the defender closes in. He shoots hard and high. Goal! Danny Stevens has scored! We're leading in Europe.

The fans are in dream land, but it doesn't last, we're immediately on the back foot. Bestchastnykh hit a fierce shot that Marriott did fantastically well to save, not only that he held the ball. Then just after the half hour we were all square. Petkov drifted a corner towards the penalty spot and Roque Júnior got well above the diminutive Leon Bell to power a header into the top corner of the net - ****! Poor marking has cost us. It's backs against the wall time again - Fenerbahçe siege forward, van Hooijdonk volleys wide before drawing Marriott into another brilliant save. The half finishes with Martin testing Volkan at the other end though. Forty-five minutes to go and all to play for, but we need a goal.

So the second half begins, we're going for it. Danny Stevens draws his marker and fires a warning shot across Volkans goal, Martin arrives at pace but somehow he contrives to knock it into the side netting from an almost impossible angle - a pass would have been the better option but no fear for we're attacking again. Bell whips in a Corner, Dave Barnett rises, the ball is powered down into the ground, it spins agonisingly up through defenders, dammit, Volkan is again equal to it.

He catches the ball and sprays it upfield, **** a counter attack. Tuncay sprints forward looking like his lungs will burst at any moment, he's past the half way line... On the edge of the box... It's three against two... He muscles past Mark Shaw and plays a ball left to Bestchastnykh. His control is immediate, he draws his man and shunts his way past him, Bang! 1-2, we're down a goal. Marriott had no chance.

What follows is a period of nothingness, We're desperate for the ball but nothing comes off, nothing that is unless on the hour mark. Dylan McPhee steals the ball from van Hooijdonk and sprints down the left wing. He beats Tayfun with ease and makes his way to the by-line. He cuts inside and pulls the ball low back across the goal. Bell is onto it like a flash, he shapes to shoot but instead feeds the ball cleverly into the path of Stevens, it's easy - he slots the ball home 2-2! We're back in this tie.

Roque Júnior tests Marriott with a low drive, then a header. Fenerbahçe want another goal. Bestchastnykh - the game is heading towards the last ten minutes - if we can just keep it tight, maybe nick something at the other end we'll have a chance in the away leg. Come on we can do this. Chris Scott takes the ball forward, he finds Val Owen in the centre circle. Valentine has head a good game today - solid is not spectacular - he chips the ball up to Danny Stevens on the edge of the box, he gets their before his marker and heads the ball on. It's fallen exactly where he wants it Roque Júnior and Andrew Martin race towards it, but the Brazilian slips and seizing his chance Martin drills the ball low and hard... Goal! 3-2! The 'Morfa' Erupts, they've never seen anything like this - it's incredible. A team of part timers are beating a squad whose main striker is worth more than the whole team put together, his wages could float the club for a year.

Sadly, it's not to be, with seconds left on the clock van Hooijdonk is awarded a free kick, He lines it up and shoots for goal, it hits the wall and loops, loops up and arches down to the left we hesitate - Alex doesn't, he reaches it first and powers a header past Marriott. ****! 3-3. The referee blows the whistle and we'll travel to Istanbul hoping for another miracle.

Airbus UK - Andrew Marriott; Siôn Meredith, Jan-Harm Schippers, Chris Scott, Dave Barnett ©; Val Owen, Dylan McPhee, Leon Bell, Mark Shaw (Rhodri Thomas '68); Andrew Martin, Danny Stevens

Wednesday 31st July 2002

Before the away leg we welcomed a new signing to the squad - Paul Walker a left sided forward from Scottish side Morton, his cost was a bargin £7,000 not bad. He has a certain quality about him which I think will come in handy. Anyway onto the game. We needed a win, nothing else would do really - I couldn't see us getting a three-three draw in Istanbul. Lightning doesn't strike twice and eventually luck has to run out.

The Sükrü Saraçoglu is a daunting venue for any team but one thousand of our fans made the trip to Turkey. We could see them all huddled together between the massed ranks of Fenerbahçe's number all twenty-seven-thousand of them.

We started the game in a blaze of noise and blur of smoke from fireworks and canisters. It was daunting yet dazzling in one set moment as the flashbulbs went off. Unsurprisingly it was Fenerbahçe who started the stronger - the Brazilian Alex dancing through our midfield and defence to test Marriott with a low right footed drive - this time the Welsh 'keeper got down well to it and pushed it away - heart in mouth time - Tuncay followed up and smashed the ball towards the top corner - Marriott somehow recovered and tipped the ball away superbly. Some of the saves Andrew has made in this run so far have been quite superb, I've no doubt he can play at a higher level, it's just a shame about his age.

Finally our first chance came, we new it was always going to be a case of defending bravely, then taking what ever chances we could get on the break. Defender Chris Scott strode up field and over the half way line. He turned past an oncoming midfielder and put a delightful ball into the box, it screamed to be just taken - Danny Stevens did just that heading his shot at goal, the ball arched its way towards the top corner spinning slowly in the air. Cumher leapt to get fingertips to it but he missed and the ball. Oh the ball it just goes wide of the post, the wrong side. The rest of the half is spent restricting Fenerbahçe to long shots while at the other end we continue to find their defence stout and chances not forthcoming. We've survived the first forty-five minutes with our goal intact - but we still need that goal, just one without conceding.

Before I know it the buzzer is going and we're back out on the pitch. I sit on the bench knowing it's going to be possibly the longest forty-five minutes of my life. Albayrak Erhan hits the outside of the post just minutes into the half, **** that was close. At the other end Leon Bell tests Cumher with a low right footed volley. This half isn't as tense, we're finally creating chances. Something bubbles in our midfield, suddenly it's us doing the running and Fenerbahçe who are on the back foot. Mark Shaw tries to chip Cumher from forty yards out. It sails over the keepers head and dips, dips, dips the 'keeper jumps backwards. Dammit, he fingertips it over the bar, what a goal that would have been.

A goal, yes we still need one. Sixty-five minutes go, seventy, seventy-five, eighty. Mark Shaw picks the ball up in midfield and drives on, cutting inside he shoots low and hard at goal. It hits Fatih and spins madly up in the air. Chris Scott - a defender pushed into attack gets to it first and heads the ball across goal. Leon Bell reaches it first and smashes it low and hard across the six-yard box, all it needs is a touch - it passes the near post and in a clutch of bodies it hits some ones head and bang! 0-1 Airbus UK are leading. Andrew Martin runs away to the corner of the stadium our fans are standing in and does a little jig of delight, we're leading on aggregate, now all we have to do is defend. We do, Lisbon here we come!

Airbus UK - Andrew Marriott; Siôn Meredith, Jan-Harm Schippers, Chris Scott, Dave Barnett ©; Val Owen, Dylan McPhee, Leon Bell, Mark Shaw; Andrew Martin, Danny Stevens

Wednesday 7th August 2002

Sporting Lisbon at the 'Morfa' tonight, to be honest this is something I never expected to see. Let alone be managing against. I can't even believe we've made it this far - who the hell would have thought Airbus UK would beat one of Turkeys finest teams? Let alone at their own ground. It's craziness, but I love it. The bank balance is looking lovely as well, we're now well out of debt; infact almost £800,000 is in there, I can't touch very much of it though, funds are still tight on the transfer front. This new found income does however allow me to bring in new faces, although as yet none have been found that fit the bill I'm looking for.

Sporting's line up houses Brazilians, a Romanian and several Portuguese Internationals, we on the other hand are five Welshmen, four Englishmen, a Dutchman and a defender from the Cayman Islands. Comparing the two Sporting should bury us but for the first twenty-minutes an outsider would find it impossible to the distinguish the pair.

The first ten minutes were tense, but neither side made any inroads then with fifteen minutes on the clock it happened. Jan-Harm Schippers our Dutch wing back strode forward purposely before dispatching a beautiful ball down the right wing. Mark Shaw was onto it like a flash taking a touch before whipping a delightful curling cross towards the back post - Andrew Martin meeting it with a perfect bullet header. Goal! 1-0, Ricardo, their Portuguese International 'keeper is on his knees, he can't believe it.

Sporting come back Clayton and Kranjcar test Marriott, but he's equal to them. The 'keeper is in the form of his life at the moment. He catches one such chance and sprays the ball far, with just one throw. It reaches Danny Stevens on the half way line and he's off. Dribbling towards goal, past one man, two. Sporting are backing off him, he shoots but ooh, it's just wide. The match continues...

Thirty minutes on the clock. Rui Jorge picks up a loose ball in his left back spot. He strides forward, up over the half way line into our half towards the edge of the area. He side-steps Schippers, takes aim and rifles in a left footed shot. It's hard and wild it bounces beyond Marriott, he's got his fingertips to it, but argh! No! It creeps in. 1-1.

Instead of retreating though we attacked. Siôn Meredith, our rangy left back burst from his position up over the half way line, taking on all comers. No one could stop him, until he reached the edge of the box, his dipping pot-shot stunningly saved by Ricardo. The resulting corner was punched clear, but only as far as Leon Bell. The midfielder controlled the ball before flicking it into Danny Stevens. The ball falls invitingly over his shoulder and he launches it fully at goal, it's heading for the top corner - Ricardo pulls off a great save, but he can't hold it. It falls to Mark Shaw just a yard out. GOAL!! 2-1, I can't believe this and no one else can either the crowd is stunned. Minutes later, half-time.

The second half starts with a strange apprehension hanging over Sporting. They don't seem to know what's happening. 2-1 down to a team of part-timers, it's crazy. The half goes slowly but nothing happens then with four minutes to go. Paulo Bento searches the ball out wide to Rui Jorge, he wants another goal. Weaving his way into the box before he shoots high at goal. Marriott reacts immediately and pulls off an amazing save. Minutes later it's Niculae, but again it's the same outcome. The referee blows his whistle. We've won, we've won, I can't believe it, we've beaten one of the biggest teams in Europe. Mind you it's a long way to Lisbon.

Airbus UK - Andrew Marriott; Siôn Meredith, Jan-Harm Schippers, Chris Scott, Dave Barnett ©; Val Owen, Dylan McPhee, Leon Bell, Mark Shaw; Andrew Martin, Danny Stevens

Archived