Full backs defending

I know goals from crosses are a problem on this game, but is there any way to defend them better? It's literally the only way I concede, and I concede a lot.

Every time they get the ball in a crossing my position and my full back as always is no where near him, I can tell before it happens it's a goal.

Anyone got any advice for me to get them to stay tight?

I'm Arsenal and I have Davide Santon, Sagna, Gibbs.

I've used Zonal and man marking, opposition instructions but no matter what I can't stop it. I'm 18th and been fired once already, lol.

Used deep defensive line, on counter mentality...

how to defend against them would depend a lot on what your team can and cant do

for example my defense is very slow, but all my defenders are all good in the air and good at wining the ball so I'm using very defensive roles and a rigid/counter attacking style to leave little space behind me and soak up pressure (since I know my team is good at handling that)

If you're using advanced, pushed up wingers, make sure there isnt' too much of a gap between them and your fullbacks. It may sound strange but having them on "automatic" or "attacking" may help in terms of their relative position and closing down. Often, especially when defending counterattacks down the wings, if there is a huge gap down the flank and your fullback misses the tackle, there's virtually nothing further to do.

U have to have defenders with good positioning and anticipation to stop conceding from crosses. I play wid ManU with Vidic and ferdinand, hardly concede from any cross, I rested Vidic for a game against Wigan to give Smalling a chance and we ended up conceding 2 goals from crosses and loosing 3-0 away

I have the same problem in fm 2012(i didn't buy fm13 yet). I play with 3 central midfielders (4312 like milan or 433 like barcelona,only tactics I use, with attacking players versatile, retrained to fit in both tactics). Most of the goals I concede- from crosses. The centre of the park usually is flooded, so the opposition rarely finds a way to go through, no matter the name of the opposition.The same problem: what should I do? Where is the problem? the centre back with low jumping attribute? the centre back with low determination attribute(they don't have the determination to chalenge the opposition player)? the height of my centre back? possible. I tested a lot of things and I found a way to reduce the number of goals I concede from crosses. I don't know if this works on fm 13, but on my Lille save on fm 2012 has some efficiency. The solution is (is something very simple, nothing spectacular): you must stop the opposition players from crossing. This is more important than having world class dcs. Of course you must have also good dcs, but my conclusion is that you must stop them crossing. What you must have: fast full backs (at list 15 acc and 14 pace), set on automatic, cross from deep (I don't attack with fbs, I attack with attacking players), normal mentality (not defensine or attacking). WHAT is important: closing down set to above 10(one notch past the middle; now this depends on their speed and stamina, but that is minimum) AND use individal opposition instructions: close down wingers, full backs, strikers(you must see during the game the men who crosses; if their fb doesn't cross, no need to close down). Full backs are crucial in the opposition anihilation. Another thing I discovered when it comes to fullbacks: is important to be taller rather then very skilfull. An average 182 cm fb (but fast) is better than a skilfull 170cm one.

This is working very well in the french ligue one where most teams play with wingers(and most of them are fast wingers). I still concede from crosses, but the number of goals coming this way is considerably lower compared to the beginning of the championship (when I was hugely frustrated).

Excuse my basic english.

Tight, Man Marking, Little Creative Freedom and close down a little higher from your cb's. But you need defensive fullbacks, or to train young ones into being defensive. Never had a problem with my defense past few season, but this game CB's seem to be mucking up.

I haven't tested this but from logic I would suggest fullbacks with a defensive role, if playing a high line maybe tight mark. OI set to close down wingers and show them inside field, stay on feet (tackling easy) so the fullbacks do not over commit themselves against skillful/pacey wingers. Your own wingers to man mark the oppositions full backs as I remember my own FB closing down their FB and leaving the winger in acres of spaces as he was drawn out of position so maybe tinker with your FB's own instructions altering his closing down to find the sweet spot.

Archived