Automatic Draw FA Cup??? Scripted?

Hi Guys.This is my second Notts Forest save and for the second time in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, I have been drawn against Manchester United at Old Trafford :thdn:

The draw is supposed to be random, but it isn't. What are the odds of being paired with the same team away from home???

I remember this happening alot in FM12 in the latter stages of the FA and Carling Cup.

Whilst I am absolutely not saying that the draw isn't scripted, as I know nothing of coding of the game, I would like the point out that:

It is possible to consider that statistically your chances of being drawn against man utd the second time were the exact same as they were the first time. The fact it happened the first time in no way affects the chances of it happening the second time.

Happening twice in a row is extremely unlucky, but remember how many millions of draws are taken by FM players all the time without it happening. Statistically something like that would crop up sooner or later

Hi Guys.This is my second Notts Forest save and for the second time in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, I have been drawn against Manchester United at Old Trafford :thdn:

The draw is supposed to be random, but it isn't. What are the odds of being paired with the same team away from home???

I remember this happening alot in FM12 in the latter stages of the FA and Carling Cup.

Brighton have just drawn Newcastle, at home, again for the second time in a row in the FA Cup. It happens.

I know some of the rounds are regionalised but the Leamington one looks extremely odd!

I will try get another screenshot of an updated version, but there is at least two more cups games to add to that

Is it possible to get a head to head when you aren't in the same divison any longer?

My maths may not be perfect but I believe it is 15,876 to 1. You have 63 potential opponents and 50/50 chance of home/away. So 126 to 1 chance of getting Man U away. 126 to 1 twice in a row is 15,876 to 1.

Given there are many millions of cup draws made by FM, it is definitely not proof of scripted draws.

In my Rangers save, I went a whole season and a bit (start of game to second round 2nd season) getting home draws.

Was so strange, every cup...league cup, Scottish cup and challenge cup I got a home game.

It's all good now, and fairly random. Must have just been luck or the board were paying people.

In my Rangers save, I went a whole season and a bit (start of game to second round 2nd season) getting home draws.

Was so strange, every cup...league cup, Scottish cup and challenge cup I got a home game.

It's all good now, and fairly random. Must have just been luck or the board were paying people.

Possibly explains the current Rangers situation?

Real life cup 1st round fixtures of RW Essen in the German Cup

2012 Union Berlin (H)

2011 Union Berlin (H)

2010 Energie Cottbus (H)

2009 Energie Cottbus (H)

2008 Energie Cottbus (H)

As lower league club they were always seeded for a home match against one of the 32 top clubs. The rest was just chance, for the Cottbus thing, after being drawn to them in 2008, 1 in 1024 to be exact.

Being drawn against one team in the 3rd round twice in a row has a probability of 1 in 63. Not sensational really. Add the away bit and you are at 1 in 126. Still not worth a thread.

Sorry to be pedantic, but it's Nottingham Forest, not Notts. As a Forest fan, it really winds me up!

I'm not even a fan and it winds me up too ;)

Notts is the abbreviation for Nottinghamshire, not Nottingham. That's why Notts County is correct, but Notts Forest in not.

In my save the following happened:

Season 1 Carling Cup 1st Round:

Bristol City 4 vs 1 Bristol Rovers

Season 2 Carling CUp 1st Round:

Bristol Rovers 2 vs 5 Bristol City

Season 3 Carling Cup 1st Round:

Bristol City promoted to the Premier League so we cannot face our peasant neighbours! :D

I will, almost without fail, draw a team in the cup that I will play either in the game before or the match after the cup tie.

Say I'm scheduled to play Chelsea on Mar 8 in the league.

I will more often than not draw them in a cup tie scheduled for Mar 5 or Mar 10, meaning I play them twice in succession.

Nearly every season. Odd.

I will, almost without fail, draw a team in the cup that I will play either in the game before or the match after the cup tie.

Both these 'issues' (if you could call them that) happen to me an awful lot. I started a thread about it recently. It is strange.

I will more often than not draw them in a cup tie scheduled for Mar 5 or Mar 10, meaning I play them twice in succession.

The chances of this are not as long as you might think, particularly around that time of season. If you consider that a cup game in early March will have a Premier League match either side of it and with 19 other teams in the league you have a 1 in 9.5 chance of playing a particular team in either of those league games. This is likely to be the QF of the FA Cup and there is a good chance that the likes of Chelsea will still be in the competition. They may also be in the ECC, with these dates falling quite close as well, you could easily draw them in the QF or SF of the ECC. Also you have the league cup final at the end of Feb, again this is likely to be a good PL team.

I know the odds are pretty impossible to calculate but when you end up doing well in the cups and playing cup games virtually every midweek between 2 league games, the chances of this happening just once in a season are more likely than you would think.

But I also think people often forget the amount of times this didn't happen to them. In my game I played 9 domestic cup matches last season, never 2 in a row so there were 18 league games either side. Not once did I play the same team twice in a row (except for back-to-back league games against Villa because of rearrangements).

The chances of this are not as long as you might think, particularly around that time of season. If you consider that a cup game in early March will have a Premier League match either side of it and with 19 other teams in the league you have a 1 in 9.5 chance of playing a particular team in either of those league games. This is likely to be the QF of the FA Cup and there is a good chance that the likes of Chelsea will still be in the competition.

Your calculations are way off there.

yes it would be a 1 in 9.5 chance providing of course that the only teams left in the specified cup were ALL Prem sides. Since we do not know this then we cannot use 1 in 9.5 as our base. For example, if we were in the 1/4 finals of the FA Cup, more than likely 4-5 teams will be from the Prem including ourselves, so therefore we have ~40-50% chance of meeting another Prem side in this particular round. So all of a sudden our chances of this happening now becomes ~1 in 19.

The chances of this scenario happening 2 seasons in a row would be 1 in 323 and for it to happen 3 seasons in a row those odds would be 1 in 6155

I would also like to point out that most random numbers used in computer programs are pseudo-random, which means they are generated in a predictable fashion using a mathematical formula, therefore they are not 'truly' random.

Supposedly its random but it doesnt seem that way. I remember in one fm I nearly always got an away tie if I auto'd, So I started doing it one by one. If I clicked each one I would always be picked out of the hat in the bottom 2 games, nealy always last. I seemed to get more home games doing it that way, and I did seem to end up playing the exact same teams every year. Top clubs and rivals.

Supposedly its random but it doesnt seem that way. I remember in one fm I nearly always got an away tie if I auto'd, So I started doing it one by one. If I clicked each one I would always be picked out of the hat in the bottom 2 games, nealy always last. I seemed to get more home games doing it that way, and I did seem to end up playing the exact same teams every year. Top clubs and rivals.

Like I pointed out earlier, most random numbers used in computer programs are pseudo-random, which means they are generated in a predictable fashion using a mathematical formula, therefore they are not 'truly' random.

hah obviously cup draws are bugged, i'm Man United and drew Luton... real United draw prem clubs :p

but random is random.... until you end up with the same team at the start of the legue 2 seasons in a row, and FM12 you got the same team OFTEN over seasons in cup matches, i think on my Blackpool save i played Arsenal like 6 times. in a season

In my save the following happened:

Season 1 Carling Cup 1st Round:

Bristol City 4 vs 1 Bristol Rovers

Season 2 Carling CUp 1st Round:

Bristol Rovers 2 vs 5 Bristol City

Season 3 Carling Cup 1st Round:

Bristol City promoted to the Premier League so we cannot face our peasant neighbours! :D

yes you can. What if Rovers win their 1st Round match ?

That happens all the time IRL. It's quite uncanny.

My maths may not be perfect but I believe it is 15,876 to 1. You have 63 potential opponents and 50/50 chance of home/away. So 126 to 1 chance of getting Man U away. 126 to 1 twice in a row is 15,876 to 1.

Given there are many millions of cup draws made by FM, it is definitely not proof of scripted draws.

Actually, it is 126-1. The chances of drawing Man United away twice (or any other specific club) is 15,876-1, but that wasn't the question, it was "what are the odds of drawing the same club in a second save as you did in the first save?". Which club you drew first time around is irrelevant, ignoring for whether they would get through earlier rounds, because there is still a chance of drawing them again.

Last seasons FA Cup final was played on the same day as Liverpool and Chelsea were scheduled to play each other in the league...

That has happened two years running!

When Man City beat us (Stoke) in the FA Cup final the year before (2010) we were scheduled to play them that day in the league as well. We then played them 4 days after the final and not surprisingly we got spanked.

Archived