Do top-level managers in the game have better AI than lower ones?

REPLY FROM FMC THREAD (20leGend99):

In terms of Current Ability and Potential Ability the top English Premier League managers will be substantially higher than their lower league counter parts in game. So you would expect Ferguson to be better at motivating his players and getting his teams tactics "right" compared to the other managers in that division.

If Ferguson was managing in Wales with an equal squad I'm not convinced that his team would necessarily walk away with the trophy though within the game. I honestly don't know to what extent manager ability has on a teams performance. I would imagine though that overall performance is predominantly player led with the CPU managers ability having only a marginal affect on a clubs overall performance in the short term. Over time, however, you would expect his higher current ability and buying/selling players ability to mean that his team would become one of the perennial contenders though. It would make for an interesting holiday mode test if you could fix it so that the top managers would stay at the same club.

he'd have a better chance for sure... but it's not definite of course.. end of the day, its 11 against 11.

He'll make better choices mid game ..

It's all about the stats....

Fergie has better man management, so he'll handle issues easier than other managers.

Fergie has better motivational skills, so he'll deal with upsets and going behind etc

You get the point

Tactically, I don't think there's any difference. The various attributes relating to tactics and squad building appear to be based more on how frequently the manager will do something, not how well they do it. I believe milnerpoint did some experiments with the transfer attributes and they appear to mostly affect how frequently a manager buys players and how much they're willing to spend, not their actual ability to piece together an effective squad.

Man management and reputation likely play a significant role in the AI's ability to motivate their squad and that will certainly affect performance, but for the most part, it appears that the "quality" of a manager has more to do with luck and their particular attributes falling into a tactical "sweet spot," as it were.

On the whole, staff ability appears to relate more to coaches/scouts rather than managers.

One area I have noticed the better AI managers make a difference is motivating players: if I get to half time leading against Man Utd their players usually start the second half "motivated", "fired up" or the like. I'm not sure how many games that would win with equal players but it is an advantage.

one thing i find funny is when my assistant tells me in backroom advice meeting to get this and this coach to improve the "Man Management", then looking at the coaches hes advising me they all have 2-3-4 points in Man Management

my money is on the points make no difference whatsoever :D

I've experimented this afternoon with my assman having all 1's in attributes and then all 20's in the 2nd experiment and taking his advice as much as possible.

Let's just say that with all 20's we were bottom with 4 losses from 4 games and then I turned the game off.

I'm determined now to finish GTA 4 :)

I've experimented this afternoon with my assman having all 1's in attributes and then all 20's in the 2nd experiment and taking his advice as much as possible.

Let's just say that with all 20's we were bottom with 4 losses from 4 games and then I turned the game off.

I'm determined now to finish GTA 4 :)

Hmmm, I wonder what would happen if you did the same with a comp manager, all 20's, then all 1's

would be interesting if someone try's like pick up a 9th seeded team in some league and go on holiday the first season for like 10 times with an ass man in control who has all 1's in stats, and then make 10 runs with an assman who has all 20's as stats, see who has the better average results in 10 seasons

anecdotal evidence this, but I recall reading a story in a forum (it may have even been in these forums) where someone edited the database to put a 30 year old Fergie in charge of a Football Conference side. They made it to the Premiership within 15 seasons. As Welshace said it's all about the stats. I'd expect a Welsh Prem team with Fergie at the helm to do quite well.

Archived