Can't Score

I'm on the second season and seems to be suffering the same issue at Newcastle. Tried 4-1-3-2, 4-1-3-1-1, 4-3-2-1, 4-3-1-2. Good possession for most of the game 55-60. Passing usually go around 70-75%. The worst of all Ba and Cisse seems to get load of ball as they are passing around a lot but not taking a shot even when set to TM, ADF, or Prc. I did sign three other strikers as a sub and getting rid of Shola and Xisco already. Shufflling them around and still not getting enough shot on target or even taking a shot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff
I'm on the second season and seems to be suffering the same issue at Newcastle. Tried 4-1-3-2, 4-1-3-1-1, 4-3-2-1, 4-3-1-2. Good possession for most of the game 55-60. Passing usually go around 70-75%. The worst of all Ba and Cisse seems to get load of ball as they are passing around a lot but not taking a shot even when set to TM, ADF, or Prc. I did sign three other strikers as a sub and getting rid of Shola and Xisco already. Shufflling them around and still not getting enough shot on target or even taking a shot.

What 'style' of play are you using - Attacking football generally works best if you're the superior team, if you're attempting to play an agressive attacking style against a team when you're actually struggling to retain the ball you might find that you have fewer chances than if you play a less attacking/more patient style of play.

(think of the Premiership irl - there are quite a few teams who have been relegated in the past who were praised for playing "nice football" which is a kind way of saying they tried to be open and attacking ... but weren't good enough to win using that style of play)

PS - Generally speaking before the game goes 'public' I try and ensure I test at least a season with the vast majority of Premiership clubs using a similar setup to their real-life styles and ensure they perform to a similar level as in real-life, by this I mean if you're struggling with the likes of Man Utd dump them into a 4-4-2 attacking formation or something similar, keep things reasonably simple and you should find they perform to a reasonable level .... then tweak slowly from there.

Archived