How high is your defensive line?

Defensive Line should be roughly aligned with Closing Down (for defenders), Width, Tempo and Mentality. If it is not you'll create unnecessary space. From where do the through-balls come, though? Out wide? I have had problems with that, and I made my full backs more defensive to close the gap between them and the centre backs. I also make sure to close down their wingers at all times. If the through-balls come from central midfielders, you should employ a defensive midfielder to pick those up.

The potency of those through-balls should be decreased when the new patch comes.

I push up most of the time, even if I use a tactic without a DMC and they have an AMC. Unless the other team have world class player I usually negate their AMC by compressing the space between the defenders and my midfield. Also helps that my defenders have 17+ pace and acceleration (pretty funny stuff).

If I push them up the pitch, fast opposition strikers just run past and score

If I keep them quite deep, I invite pressure from the opposition who then are able to score.

I don't know what to do!?

Tell us what other tactical instructions you are using as the d-line alone cannot determine why you are conceding goals.

Archived