FM13 - Like Icarus to the Sun, the rise and (hopefully) rise of Jozef Prochazka

b101

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry Stanley! To make matters worse, Charlton have decided they too wanted a lie down... for every single opponent in December.

That's unfortunate. Lets hope January brings a change in fortunes.

However, due to yesterdays events at the Amex, I don't care.

God bless you Wilf.

CharltonCrest1.gif

October 2022 - Charlton Athletic - Take Two!

Fixtures:

oct22_take2_zpsc80e6db0.png

Well the crash dump may have annoyed me, but the results in the re-run of October more than made up for it! We edged our first two games against Middlesbrough (undeservedly) and Bournemouth (much more deservedly), before pounding on Hull and recording two more decent wins over Peterborough and Derby. To be honest, if you look at the teams we've played this month, we should expect these results - with 3 of the bottom 4 falling to us. Millwall, the fourth team in that quartet, are next up. As a result, we've worked our way into playoff contention, but the board still want the title. Good to see Palace flying high still as well, with new manager Steve Clarke a decent replacement for me :).

league_oct22_take2_zps35078e9d.png

We also made one new signing on loan this month, with youngster Pejo Zagar joining from Aston Villa. He has a decent amount of potential, but game time has been limited for him at Villa Park. With an agreed fee of £140k if he impresses, he could be a decent signing for us in the long-term as well as a short-term back up.

zagar_zps5520bdb3.png

CharltonCrest1.gif

November 2022 - Charlton Athletic

Fixtures:

nov22_zps91e0e1f6.png

Another great string of results this month, and whilst the squad remains thin, the first XI are proving too much for most sides to handle. The Watford game was a frustration, as we were much better than them. Pleasingly we saw the next two wins out before a car crash of a performance against a strong Fulham side who exploited our weak LB. We bounced back well again though, with two comfortable wins to take us up to 2nd place - a huge improvement on 15th, which is where I started!

league_nov22_zps24a23f5d.png

CharltonCrest1.gif

December 2022 - Charlton Athletic

Fixtures:

dec22_zps191e29a6.png

Another long, but productive month - I had forgotten how tough Christmas is in England! With a few of our Asian internationals away at the Asia Cup (or something like that), we were pretty thin on the ground with an already paper-thin squad. We opened with an excellent victory over a decent Leeds side, although two dull 0-0 draws followed. Another solid win over Huddersfield preceded a 1-1 draw with Ipswich - two points dropped rather than one gained. December finished with a deserved win over my former employers and a nice progression to the Fourth Round of the FA Cup, where we face Premier League side Wolves. All in all, decent progress so far.

league_dec22_zps13d1697a.png

CharltonCrest1.gif

January 2023 - Charlton Athletic

Transfers:

transfersjan13_zpsefa7859f.png

Man, it's good to have money! We badly needed to strengthen the side, particularly in midfield, and it was good to be able to get a number of players cheaply. James Sarpong is the real standout, with his contract running down at relegation-threatened Schalke, we were able to pick him up for a steal - and he'd be good for a number of low-level Prem sides!

osnes_zps48b7d214.pnganderson_zps89f3c469.pngkitzidis_zpsfa0712af.png

gvenatadze_zps12b61940.pngdemartino_zpsefc823ab.pngsarpong_zps3fe8648b.png

Fixtures:

jan13_zpsdb4335d1.png

Another good month, all things considered. The loss to Wolves was inevitable, but we were very unlucky, hitting the post twice and conceding from a corner and a debatable penalty. In the league we were much better, with good wins against decent sides - Forest are flying high, whilst Blackburn are typically underachieving. As for the two draws, against Southampton early on we were lucky to get away with a point, whilst against Leicester we should have had better. Swings and roundabouts, eh?

league_jan13_zps7686beba.png

Fulham look pretty much untouchable, but we're looking good for automatic promotion at this point.

CharltonCrest1.gif

February 2023 - Charlton Athletic

Fixtures:

feb23_zps31f5131e.png

A poor start and end to the month sandwiched three excellent victories. We were toothless against Reading but recovered to smash fellow promotion chasers Middlesbrough. A late, late Sarpong goal rescued three vital points away at Bournemouth before we put Hull to the sword. Honestly, when we get it right, we're very good! Sadly, we came nowhere near to that level against Peterborough, and the loss was all we deserved.

league_feb23_zpsc33dd770.png

Fulham are essentially up already after a fantastic second half of the season. We're now looking over our shoulders at a resurgent Boro side...

CharltonCrest1.gif

March 2023 - Charlton Athletic

Fixtures:

mar23_zps8db164b9.png

On the face of it, this looks like an excellent month, but that atrocious performance at Derby meant that Boro took 2nd spot from us. Even with us racking up 15 goals over the next three games, they kept the three point gap by scraping three wins themselves. Frustrating to say the least given how well we have actually been playing.

league_mar23_zps9d5b53cc.png

Well, that's our initiative well and truly gone. Hoping Boro slip up now.

Our run in:

charrunin_zps9b473706.png

Boro's run in:

bororunin_zps877f1289.png

Gotta say it looks better for them...

CharltonCrest1.gif

April/May 2023 - Charlton Athletic

Fixtures:

apr23_zps539a5cc8.png

We went into this month knowing that we needed a huge slip-up from Middlesbrough, and it just didn't happen. We lost, inevitably, at Fulham and ensured we'd finish the season in the playoffs with a wretched performance at home to Coventry. In the final game we had nothing but pride to play for and ensured that we would head into the playoffs with a win under our belts.

Play-off Semi-Final First Leg

playoffsemi1_zpsf42bfc22.png

Well, this was just awful from the word go. We conceded inside 30 seconds, with centre back Clarke giving their striker the freedom of the Madejski to head home. We hit back quickly though, through a surprising source - left back Mario Sergio grabbing his first goal of the season after a cut-back from Sarpong. I would have taken a 1-1 draw, but Reading, and my defence, had other ideas. First, they had a goal disallowed for a push on our keeper, before the same man popped up to head home a corner. When they grabbed a third from a corner early in the second half, I was fuming - a frustration not helped by my assistant Einstein suggesting that we should focus on defending set pieces for the next game. We had left ourselves a lot to do.

Play-off Semi-Final Second Leg

playoffsemi2_zpsda06e4b7.png

This was far too close! We were poor in the first half, with Reading choosing to park the bus, and the team got an absolute rocket at half time. We only needed the two goals to push it to extra time, but nothing was going right. On 65 minutes, I made two changes, with Proctor and Wordsworth entering the fray. We looked better, but nothing came of it until we earned a soft penalty in the 81st minute, which Sarpong duly dispatched. 6 minutes later and they had a corner (their first of the game). Clarke rose highest to clear the ball out to Sarpong, who ran at their two remaining defenders. He drew one, fed Wordsworth, and the second sub equalised! With extra time looming though, we pressed again, with the ball making its way out to Oishi. The Japanese had the coolest head in the stadium, dragging the ball back for Wordsworth to double his tally. Just as Reading restarted, we finished the job, Oishi again leaving their LB for dead before putting a perfect ball on Proctor's head and the striker could hardly miss. Hello, Wembley!

Play-off Final

playofffinal_zpsd3b1734b.png

Leicester had surprisingly accounted for Southampton in the other Semi, and I was far more pleased about facing them than the South Coast side. We raced into a two goal advantage early on through soon-to-be Player of the Season Oishi and January buy Sarpong. We controlled the rest of the game until they grabbed a goal back from a corner, but in typical fashion, Oishi raced back down the other end to cross for Sarpong to finish it. Charlton were promoted to the Premiership!!!

league_may23_zps6b434c28.png

CharltonCrest1.gif

Pre-season 2023/24 - Charlton Athletic

Transfers:

budgets_zpsa8a4e1b9.png

Having a sugar-daddy chairman sure makes the pre-season more fun! I don't think we've had to spend much over the odds either, which I had expected would be the case. An original budget of £23m was boosted both by manoeuvring the £950k wage budget and getting rid of some fringe players on absurd money left over from the McDermott era. The main areas I felt really needed strengthening were at CB and CM, with last year's defensive partnership barely having the pace to keep up with Emile Heskey.

Ok, so that's quite a lot of players, some of which I can't quite believe have made their way to The Valley! Those of you with good memories will recognise the names of Malov and Van der Vloet - the former was a fringe player I had at Rennes, whilst the Belgian has progressed wonderfully since I left Lokeren. There are three here for the future in Jelic, Ahmedovic and Hosek, all thanks to a great scout in Eastern Europe, and I have high hopes for them. The main signings though are Ippoliti, who has great potential, Zarate, signed for a snip as a creative influence and Rothwell, who should add some steel to the centre of midfield.

Still, we're tipped for relegation (predicted 18th), and we start with one of the toughest games possible, at home to Man Utd.

Congrats dude
A battle until the end! Congrats :thup:
Congrats on winning the playoffs and gaining promotion to the Premiership!
Well done! Charlton back in the Premier League :thup:

Thanks all! That semi final was probably the best match I've had on this game since the Rennes-Real Madrid match way back when.

CharltonCrest1.gif

August 2023 - Charlton Athletic

Fixtures:

aug23_zpse6fa87f3.png

Just the two matches in the Prem so far, and we've come out with two very creditable draws! Against Man Utd we definitely held our own and deserved at least the draw, whilst against Wigan we could consider ourselves unfortunate not to have taken more from the game. Len Van der Vloet settled in particularly nicely, with a stunning free kick against United before cracking in another neat strike against Wigan. I kept the same team for the Capitol One Cup match in order to get them to gel a bit more, and Malov came up trumps with two great finishes. Not a bad start at all!

league_aug23_zpsa59797f6.png

CharltonCrest1.gif

September 2023 - Charlton Athletic

Fixtures:

sep23_zps26f20c46.png

The Villa game was infuriating. We went 1-0, 2-1 and later 4-2 up, yet they scored with every single shot they had on target, whilst we continued to miss good opportunities. The same happened against Cardiff, and whilst it's great not to lose, we really need some points on the board! Happily, we got off the mark away on Tyneside, with a well-earned win over the Geordies, before really finding our shooting boots against hapless Ipswich. The month finished on more good news as we made it three wins on the bounce thanks to great performances against Boro and West Brom

league_sep23_zps34b6a9a4.png

Heady heights for us! Don't expect it to last though...

The start to Charlton in the BPL is solid; however, it is still a project. Roma would offer a change for more immediate success. Tough call; depends on what you want to do.

Great start in the league, unbeaten in early October, surely a first for a promoted team(??) I say stick the Charlton, offers from top clubs will still be there a few seasons down the line, you've brought in some good players so will be nice to see how they progress at the club

150px-AS_Roma_logo_(2013).svg.png

November 2023 - AS Roma

offer_zps757b5cf5.png

I completely agreed with all of the reasoning above, and this was a tough call. Roma are the nearly boys of recent seasons in Italian football, with finishes of 2nd, 3rd and 3rd in the last three seasons. This year though, they have lost their way, languishing in 10th spot. With just the three Serie A wins in their history, they are also a club that has never really hit the heights they should have, and the challenge eclipsing this former glory was one I look forward to. Additionally there are the great youth facilities - almost as good as Rennes', and a few star players who should see us through, once we get them firing.

diacuteaz_zpsa7a38330.pngcontento_zps788f4cab.png

On the other hand, I'm sure Charlton will be fine - they have a huge financial backing and, now, a good squad.

The League as it stands:

league_start_zps7201efc4.png

Still, at least we're starting with some easy games. Oh no, wait...

first5games_zps7e0fc380.png

November 2023 - AS Roma

nov23_zpseebce568.png

Just the two games under my control this month, but they were huge games! We definitely edged the Rome derby, and it was great to see Díaz pop up with the winner in the second half. The PSG match was even throughout, but they took their chances whereas we wasted ours - seems a familiar story when I take over a club! No real change to the league table, but here it is anyway.

league_nov23_zps06f55ace.png

I think you made a good decision to go to Roma. It is a massive club.
You did very well at Charlton but you did make the right decision to move to Roma as they are a big step up.Best of luck in Italy :thup:

Cheers gents, it's good to be back in the Champions League too!

December 2023 - AS Roma

dec23_zpsb05e7cb2.png

A great month for us, and whilst we're not climbing the league too rapidly. It should have been even better as well - we dominated Inter but somehow conceded three. The Nerrazurri have really gone downhill recently and could prove another challenge in years to come. The result of the month was a late 2-1 victory over leaders Juve, thanks to that man Contento. We only had to draw against Dortmund to progress in the Champions League, but went one better with a 2-0 win. The Siena match was another 'could have been', with our goalie having a mad moment, running out to the touchline only to pass straight to their striker at 1-1. We equalised, but couldn't find that winner. The floodgates finally opened against Reggina though, lifting us up into 8th place. There are a few signings due to come in early next month and hopefully we can strengthen a slightly mediocre squad.

league_dec23_zps117a98fc.png

PSG aside, it's been a positive start, with some great results against some very good teams :thup:

Thanks - the fixture list doesn't really ease up for us either! Roma were clearly massively underachieving though.

Incredible front pair.

Strangely, they aren't playing as a pair - Contento's in the old Júnior role at AML, with Díaz as a Treq. They have been solid, if unspectacular so far, but I'm sure they'll grow into it.

Good move. You're already making progress in the league :thup:
Looking good

Thanks both! We're certainly moving in the right direction, but there's a tough month ahead in January.

January 2024 - AS Roma

Transfers In:

Two players join us this month and we've also made a number of Bosman signings ahead of next summer. The two coming in now though should bolster our weak-ish midfield. Novotny signs from AC Milan for £8.75m, which is somewhat of a coup, whilst long-time readers will recognise Rennes academy product Teddy Baradat, who joins for £12.5m.

novotny_zpsdad62813.pngbaradat_zps0ea0e1cb.png

As for the four future signings, three of them are Bosman signings, whilst Élton cost us £500k, and they should beef up our side nicely.

dalmaso_zpscc2999f6.pngfarfan_zps0f358a12.pngchristiano_zpsa5de7228.pngeacutelton_zpsc7deb807.png

Fixtures:

jan23_zpsc041ed35.png

What a month! Aside from the first game of the month, in which we crushed Atalanta, all of our games were against top ten sides - most of whom were above us in the table at the time. A second half Díaz strike finished off Fiorentina, and we came close to beating Palermo too, with Contento having a first minute spot kick well saved. Our next league win was a huge victory away at 4th placed Sampdoria - the game was close, but we took our chances to grab the three points. We then battered high-flying Cesena at home to leapfrog them into third spot. The only downside this month was our late, late loss to rivals Lazio in the Coppa Italia. We were 1-0 up with 5 minutes to go, but left back Papp decided to get himself sent off and we couldn't hold out, with Lazio scoring twice in the 90th and 92nd minutes. Frustrating, but my aim is still the league.

league_jan23_zpse5336337.png

A brief review of my career aims

It's been a while since I updated this, and it's worth having another look at - I've added a few long-term goals as well. As always, any bright ideas, please let me know!

February 2024 - AS Roma

feb23_zps3795102a.png

The tough fixtures kept coming, as did the wins - we were great against Milan and followed that up with another strong win against lowly Torino. We then faced leaders Napoli at home. In a close encounter, January signing Novotny won us the spoils with a late header after they had cancelled Díaz's opener. Annoyingly, we then dropped simple points against weaker opposition. We were much better than Cagliari, and against Udinese our old misfortune raised its ugly head: once again we conceded from the three shots they had on target, whilst contriving to miss every possible chance that came our way. Sandwiched between these two draws was a decent home performance against a strong Man City side, in spite of replacement left back Paul Papp seeing red after 35 minutes.

P.S. I accidentally forgot to screenshot at the end of February, so the next two fixtures are also in the screenshots - thankfully, they were both wins!

league_feb23_zps56063da9.png

Youth Intake Day 2024 - AS Roma

youthintake_zps2e9816d5.png

There was one more update I really wanted to get done tonight, and it's quite obvious why. In actual fact, most of the intake are utterly useless - in spite of the 2.5* ratings, they will never make it close to the first team, but this one lad, well, he's something special. In a couple of years, my aim will be to make Roma into a youth only club, and this lad might well be the start of that process - I've genuinely never had anyone this good come in from a youth intake. As a DMC, he'll have a little competition from Baradat, but I'm sure I can work something out...

2013-05-30_00005_zpsc5e53c38.jpg

There were a few scares though, and I think this is also a first for me! Cheeky bugger!

aliottaoffer_zps4f33cd58.png

Thankfully, common sense prevailed:

phew_zpsdd4f2539.png

March 2024 - AS Roma

mar23_zpsc2bb1efe.png

Another practically flawless month, and we're really hitting top gear now. We started with two routine wins over relegation-threatened Verona and Pescara, but dropped silly points away at Bologna. We struggled to get into the match and needed Díaz to salvage a point with a late equaliser. Then came the luck we needed. Against Man City we were outgunned on all fronts, but took the lead with our only shot on target midway through the first half. They levelled through Neymar 5 minutes later, but in spite of 20 or so shots, they couldn't find the back of the net again. Miraculously, we had made it through! Back in Serie A, we put 5 past Genoa, although our defence was equally generous, gifting them 3 late goals. In the last two games of the month, we just edged past rivals Lazio and a resurgent Inter side. Meanwhile, Napoli drew with Cagliari and lost to Udinese, meaning the gap is down to 5 points. We still need a big collapse from them, but the top three finish the board demanded is pretty much secured.

league_mar23_zps74c83ea8.png

Man he looks like he could be retrained as a DC.

I agree, but for the fact that I have a couple of other very promising DCs lined up. Something to look at certainly.

April 2024 - AS Roma

apr24_zpseaf68237.png

April was always going to be a huge month for us, and the fight continues on two fronts. We drew lucky in the Champions League - Panathinaikos are much better than they used to be, but it was still the easiest draw possible. A great first half performance at home practically secured our semi-final berth, and a 1-1 draw in Greece merely completed the formalities. The European matches sandwiched a huge game in Serie A, 2nd vs 3rd against Juventus. An early Novotny strike set us on our way, but they drew level late in the first half. Thankfully, Faita scored an easy finish from a corner to give us a valuable three points. In typical fashion though, we choked against a far weaker side, gifting Siena a draw. Partly this was my fault due to resting Díaz and Contento, but we still should have had enough. We then eased past Reggina before our dream semi-final tie with Rennes. They have been poor in the league this season, gifting PSG the title with a number of games to go, but got their revenge by beating their French rivals in the Champions League Quarter Final. We took a two goal lead in this game before they woke up, with my former favourite Júnior scoring twice either side of half time, leaving us a monumental task in the return leg. Finally, we put in a great second half performance against Atalanta to take the three points in style.

This was even better due to Napoli's form. I said we needed a collapse from them, and they provided it, drawing 0-0 in Genoa before consecutive losses: 4-1 in the San Siro to Inter and then 2-0 at home to Juventus. As a result, with two games to play, we are top!

league_apr24_zps3347faa6.png

May 2024 - AS Roma

may24_zps5b5bd280.png

Thanks to a huge performance in Rennes, we made it through to the Champions League final for the fourth time in my career! Contento, who has underperformed for much of this season, secured the win with a neatly taken strike just before half-time, and this time, they didn't get back up. In Serie A, we lifted the title with a 3-1 win over Fiorentina that was pretty much sealed within the first ten minutes. Although Napoli were just three points behind us, our better head-to-head record meant that the league was ours whatever happened on the final day. Then again, it wouldn't have come into play, whilst we were thrashing Palermo, Napoli wilted at home to relegated Reggina, losing 2-1. Against all the odds when I took over in November, we were Champions!

league_may24_zpsfecd9e9b.png

champions-league-logo.jpg

2023/2024 - UEFA Champions League Final

AS Roma's run to the final

romaclrun24_zpsfccbe580.png

rm%2Bbadge.jpg

Real Madrid's run to the final

realclrun24_zpsaf5d14b3.png

Odds: AS Roma: 6-1, Real Madrid 3-2 (Fav)

After a tepid start in their group, Real have really stepped up their game. They've been efficient rather than blistering, but they've got the job done. The impressive wins over Barcelona and Benfica (who put 8 past Juventus!) see them through to the final. In contrast, we squeezed through against both Man City and Rennes by the skin of our teeth. Still, all to play for now!

clfinal24lineups_zps9ed1c302.png

Real have a star-studded team from back to front. Encinas is the main dangerman in central midfield, whilst I tried to sign striker Olivieri when at Rennes. You might also recognise Xuxa and Diallo from my Lokeren days, both of whom have now moved on to this Real juggernaut. They also boast two classy wingers in Pablo Sarabia and Gabriel, so we'll need our wits about us. As for us, it's pretty much a first choice XI, bar the injury to centre back Nguema, who will be sorely missed. Giacoia takes his place.

Real have started swiftly, and their first shot comes after just two minutes - Olivieri nips down the channel before popping a cut back into the path of Diallo, but Beeftink saves low down. Five minutes later and it's that man Olivieri again, who comes deep to receive a throw before skinning Giacoia and firing in a shot from a narrow angle. Thankfully, it's just the side netting. This has been a fast start and on twelve minutes it's our turn, Díaz coming deep to run at the defence, before smashing a low shot that their keeper saves neatly. A minute or so later, and Novotny goes close-ish with a free-kick that's a yard or so wide. On twenty minutes, we look calm and collected as we pass the ball around neatly on the half way line. However, Felipe gets caught in possession by their DM, who passes out to Gabriel. He, in turn, dinks a beautiful ball over the top for Olivieri, who smashes home. 1-0 Real Madrid! Straight from the restart though, we counter, and Díaz slips a great through-ball in to Contento, but their keeper is equal to his drive. Five minutes later, and it's Díaz's turn, but his twenty yard effort flies just wide. Half-time: Real Madrid 1-0 AS Roma

A slower start to this half, but after 15 minutes of probing from both sides, it's Real who take the initiative - a long clearance from Xuxa finds right winger Gabriel, who bamboozles De Giorgi before striking the post from a narrow angle. A few minutes later, and Destro's deep cross finds Díáz, but the striker's header is straight at the keeper. Real break quickly, with a long diagonal ball finding Sarabia. The left winger reaches the byline and drags back for Olivieri to slam home. 2-0 Real Madrid! Seven minutes later though and we're back in it! Contento is brought down on the edge of the area, and substitute Fiori strikes the resultant free-kick into the top corner. 2-1 Real Madrid!. We're pressing hard now, but Madrid are lethal on the counter - Gabriel this time sending a shot into the gloves of Beeftink. On 76 minutes though, it happens again. A move breaks down high up the pitch and Madrid work the ball quickly through to Olivieri, who spins in the area to strike home. 3-1 Real Madrid! With 8 minutes left, we grasp a lifeline. Díaz, central to all our good play, feeds Novotny, who is felled by a tackle from their centre back, however the ball breaks loose for Contento to fire into the bottom corner. 3-2 Real Madrid!. Sadly, we could find nothing more. The final whistle went, and Real Madrid were European Champions!

clfinal24_zps43369fb5.png

---

To be honest, I can't complain. I didn't expect us to get past the First Knockout Round, let alone reach the final, and this team is nowhere near ready to be European Champions. A few players have carried us, but we need much more quality to succeed at this level. In fairness, well played to Real as well - Olivieri was unplayable (I still don't really know what to do with rapid lone strikers who are good at running the channels...) and they were stronger in every area. Here's to next year!

Archived