Preferred move training.

Guys,

I've been playing the same way now for a season, and everything is going great. However, based on my formation and my player roles I've been thinking about introducing preferred moves into my youth players training schedules, so that they're ready to slot into place when they reach the first team. The trouble is I've never really paid attention to this aspect in training before and in the past have been pretty blasé about it always just taking the advice of my assistant or whoever in my team meetings.

I want to change that, and I think my tactic could really solidify if I get the players performing the correct moves for their positions and perhaps take out some of the bad moves they're doing for their tactical role. So, from the youth through to the seniors I am thinking about training them in the same moves, so any AP in my squad; youth, reserve or first team will be training as an AP with the same preferred moves.

I've done some reading and so far I can work out that the following would be idea for me. I play a 4-3-3 formation:- standard keeper on defensive. Two fullbacks on automatic. Two centre backs on defend. One defensive midfielder on defend in the defensive midfielder position. Two central midfielders, one as an advanced playmaker on attack and one as a deep lying playmaker on support. In front of them I play two inside forwards, one on attack and one on support. Leading the line I play a defensive forward on attack.

The following preferred moves are what I'm thinking of going with. Any help, suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Goalkeepers, defend

- Avoid using weaker foot

Fullbacks, automatic

- Plays one-twos

Central Defenders, defend

- Mark players tightly

- Run with the ball rarely

- Stay back at all times.

Defensive Midfielder, defend

- Mark opponents tightly

- Comes deep to get the ball

- Curls ball (free-kick taker only)

Deep Lying Playmaker, support (set to playmaker)

- Dictates tempo

- Plays one-twos

- Tries long range passes

- Tries killer ball often

- Likes to switch ball to other flank

- Curls ball

Advanced Playmaker, attack

- Runs with ball through centre

- Plays one-twos

- Knocks ball past opponent

- Curls ball

- Gets into opposition area

Inside Forward, attack and support

- Runs with ball often

- Cuts inside

- Plays one-twos

- Curls ball

Defensive Forward, attack

- Marks opponent tightly

Some additional thoughts.

I play a balanced style with a defensive/counter strategy. I like to control possession and catch out the opposition with quick attacks that overload them and surprise them. Most of my goals are through quick attacks and high passing moves, often with a through-ball to finish off with.

I play more direct but my creative freedom is more disciplined (thinking about taking this to default, but not for now). I play zonal marking. Everything else is default and controlled with shouts).

Some PPMs are not trainable and the only way to pass them is by tutoring .these untrainable ones can sometimes appear together with your new regens .

The "Gets into opp area" for example cant be trained -and it's a shame because it can be very useful for a determined quick forward

Player moves are great for specific situations / type of players . I'd use them carefully , however ,because a wrong one can ruin your game balance and kill off your attacking movement ...for example , extra caution should be present when assigning PPMs that affect run with ball settings . After all i think you can replicate the desired behavior with slider settings .

Regarding your chosen formation i think "plays with back to goal" for the lone forward is very useful ...i've not tested it though , i never use these 4-5-1 , 4-3-3 systems : one of my loaned strikers has this move and excels in an AI team playing him up top in a formation similar to yours

PPM's are very powerful, or seemingly are, on this ME. Thus I'd be careful about what you are choosing and why you are choosing it. I'll comment on why I would or wouldn't do it. Though all comments are subject to you having the players that are capable of doing these things AND having the tactic that can work it.

What should also be understood is that during PPM training you cannot be tutored or be a tutor.

Goalkeepers, defend

No. Given time a player will use his natural foot anyway. If someone has passed to your keeper, the last thing you want him doing is messing around getting it on the right foot. A rash clearance is better than being caught in possession.

Fullbacks, automatic

- Plays one-twos

No. Unless they are a very attacking fullback. With this PPM you are tending to make them pass and then run forward. You might not want this against teams that are strong down the flanks.

- Mark players tightly

- Run with the ball rarely

- Stay back at all times.

Mark players tightly - NO. You need to be able to pick and choose who you do this too. Even if they have 20 in marking, you might not want them marking someone tightly.

RWB rarely - ? Is it worth spending 6 months training this?

Stay back at all times - Again, is it worth 6 months training?

- Mark opponents tightly

Mark Tightly - as above

Depends if you want this player doing it all the time? Having a DM that can move forward into the midfield strata can be very useful. Also if he is a DM, just how deep do you want him to go to get the ball?

Curls ball - sure..... though you need to tutor to get it, and you can not tutor if all players are learning PPM's.

- Dictates tempo

- Plays one-twos

- Curls ball

I wouldn't do one/twos, for hte same reason given on the FB. Nor dictates tempo as you can control this to a degree with HUB setting. Deep to get ball - wouldnt waste 6months on it.

- Plays one-twos

- Curls ball

Can they actually dribble? Do they have acceleration, agility, pace, balance and strength? if not at least a few of these high, then NO. Why would you want an ADVANCED playmaker dropping deep? that would make them a Deep playmaker. Knocks ball is suited to highly pacey/accelerated players. Plays one/twos is more suited to the CM(A) role where they have RFD OFten. A Playmaker does not, so again you are forcing him forwards. Swith ball? isn't he in the middle? Gets into area - same as One/twos, you're forcing him forward. If this is what you want just change the role to a CM(A).

- Runs with ball often

- Cuts inside

- Plays one-twos

- Curls ball

IF's should be alittle selfish, thus Killer ball - NO. Runs with ball often - be careful with this in the new ME. As that is all they will do, especially if they have the skills. Cuts inside - Yes, assuming this is what you want them doing. Plays one/twos - Yes. Knocks balls - very powerfull if they have pace and acceleration and agility (I trained all mine in this but they had the skills). Gets into opposition area - depends, do you want your IF's starting outside and comming in or being there to get the ball?

- Marks opponent tightly

No... a defensive forward should be used to close down opponents, it's a rare case that you will want to mark someone - An opposition DM if you do not have an AMC.

Thanks for the reply. I took most of these from: http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com/tactics/creating-tactics/player-instructions/choosing-roles#attributes-and-preferred-moves which is somewhere I've always gone to for advice on playing the game.

It's interesting you disagree with a lot of what is recommended. I don't use tutoring because it's always had a detrimental effect on my kids. They always lose determination and other stats because they copy too closely the senior they're following.

Central Defenders: I play a defensive strategy, so often sitting back and watching my games I will see their attackers standing in and around my defence. However, my defenders will often let their attacker move away from them to collect the ball and this is how the opposition are building a lot of their attacks against me. I figured marking them tightly would allow me to keep on the heels of the attackers and pressure them when they're receiving the ball, rather than giving them an easy build up.

Fullbacks: I didn't realise that this would have an effect so high up the pitch. In my mind; my FBs sometimes struggle to move forward with the ball, and as I played with IFs I assumed my DM would come short, work with the FB building play from the back before releasing the ball to the IFs then dropping back a little. I've cancelled this training now as I didn't want them attacking.

Defensive Midfielder: My defensive midfielder is looking extremely good: João Paulo so I want him to both defend and get forward to help the DLP and AP as a midfield trio.

Deep Lying Playmaker: I like my DLP to occasionally move forward, when the need arrises.

Advanced Playmaker: Anderson is my main AP, he has acceleration: 17, agility: 16, pace: 15, balance: 17, strength 16. I don't actually have any kids in at the moment who are looking to move into the AP position.

Inside forwards and defensive forwards I agree. I'm looking more like this now, then. Subject to them having the right attributes.

Goalkeepers, defend

Fullbacks, automatic

- Plays one-twos

- Mark players tightly

- Run with the ball rarely - I want to keep this as I don't want my CDs doing anything stupid.

- Stay back at all times - I don't want them going forward, other than for corners.

- Mark opponents tightly

- Dictates tempo

- Plays one-twos

- Curls ball

- Plays one-twos

- Curls ball

- Runs with ball often - I don't have the new ME so hopefully dribbling will be fixed

- Cuts inside

- Plays one-twos

- Curls ball

- Marks opponent tightly

- ???

That sounds a bit more balanced for how I want to play.

Thanks for the reply. I took most of these from:
which is somewhere I've always gone to for advice on playing the game.

It's interesting you disagree with a lot of what is recommended. I don't use tutoring because it's always had a detrimental effect on my kids. They always lose determination and other stats because they copy too closely the senior they're following.

The site you link to is good but everything they say isn't actually correct.

As for players losing determination and other attributes, the only visible stat they'd lose is determination. To avoid that just always ensure the tutor has an higher determination than the person been tutored.

Some PPMs are not trainable and the only way to pass them is by tutoring .these untrainable ones can sometimes appear together with your new regens .

The "Gets into opp area" for example cant be trained -and it's a shame because it can be very useful for a determined quick forward

I've noticed that there are a lot less regens in FM13 who start with PPM's. So I feel some moves like this one will become extinct in long term saves.

The site you link to is good but everything they say isn't actually correct.

As for players losing determination and other attributes, the only visible stat they'd lose is determination. To avoid that just always ensure the tutor has an higher determination than the person been tutored.[/indent]

Unfortunately I inherited an undetermined team, and determination isn't one of the top attributes I look for when singing players. I'm on a very limited budget, so usually pick up free transfers or young players that fit the positions I need them to play. The problem I have with tutoring is I find it very hit and miss; is there a guide to help you chose who would be good fits? A lot of my players don't seem happy when I match them up.

Is tutoring better than just training for the individual role? Does it really have that much of an impact?

OU,

I think you might have missed my point. Most of what you desire from your players can be accomplished through instructions alone. Instructions are generally something you can control although, not always how it translates into space and use of that space during a match. However if you start putting in PPM's that are not needed, then you lose control.

Of course, it's entirely up to you, but you did ask for advice :)

Hope this doens't derail the discussion but few quick questions.

First, does a player - let's say inside forward - cut in more often, if he has the ppm cuts inside, as well as the wide play set cut inside?

Secondly, got this gut feeling that the ppms that can't be trained are the ones that you can't duplicate the effect using sliders, correct?

-SnUrF

First - Yes.

Secondly - It's a bit of an odd one. For instance, Arrives late in opposition box. You could try and get this on a DM with RFD often, but they mightr not get to the box all the time and only move so far as a AMC role, however with the PPM you'd expect them to get into the box. Though, use the same instruction on an AMC - RFD often, and you'd expect them to get into the box.

So, Lam. To get the PPMs like curls ball and gets into opposition area, would I have to sign players with the se PPMs and then tutor my kids with these players to pass on the PPMs? Or do the PPM options become available once you have someone in your squad with them? There doesn't seem to be much information about on these?

I have Roque Santa Cruz as an attacking coach (very good one too), and he is recommending to train my strikers with first time shots as that's something he learnt. Would this be the same with players and tutoring or do I need coaches that have played and done this before?

The best way to find PPM for a role is find real life players that does that role and then learn their moves. For example, I was looking for Deep Lying Playmaker and found Andrea Poli but he came with only "Cut Inside" PPM (not ideal but I correcting that) and I want him to play like Xabi Alonso or Xavi. They share the PPM's of "Comes Deep To Get Ball" and "Dictates Tempo"

But isn't cut inside a standard PPM that can be trained through the standard 'new preferred move' training. What I'm talking about is those that aren't, e.g., curls ball.

I've found a free agent, he's 35 and has the preferred move of curls ball. I'm wondering if I sign him, do I then have to have him tutor someone and will they automatically pick up the curls ball move, or do I have to train it another way?

The only PPMS I have ever bothered with are:

likes to beat offside trap for fast strikers with great OTB and Anticipation

looks to pass rather than shoot which is like mandatory for all midfielders

plays short simple passes for possession based teams.

Archived