Tactical help needed - wingers aren't productive

I'm trying to play counter-attacking style with my Torino side.

After 7 games in the league I have 2 wins and 3 draws. Not bad, and I'm satisfied with our defence, but I feel like most of my goals (scored only 6 in these 7 games) are just coincidence.

Here is my tactic:

2rrb41f.png

As you see, I'm trying to win the ball at the center of the pitch, get it to the wings and from there to the target man.

Here are the profiles of my two wingers and my striker:

Sansone

Santana

Bianchi

Santana and Sansone don't play bad, both have an average rating of 7.12/7.20

But I feel like they're getting somewhat wasted. Santana has 2 assists in the league, Sansone 0.

Their succeeded/attempted crosses ratio is terrible. Santana 17/88 (19%), Sansone 8/55 (14%).

Anyone has an idea how can I make my attack more productive?

It's because they have only one target to aim at in the middle. One target can be easily marked. You're playing disciplined and non-roaming so the opposite winger isn't inclined to get into the box either.

It's not a shape that is particularly good for a crossing game and with 2 wingers it isn't particularly effective. The quickest solution is to change one winger to be an IF so that you have one winger playing wide and whipping in crosses and the other guy acting as a more direct striker-on-the-wing.

If you really want a crossing game though it would probably be best to change formation to something that encourages more guys in the middle. This can be achieved with an AM/STR combo if you want to keep the solo striker thing - probably best if the AM is given a role/duty that gets him forward rather than forming a part of the midfield.

It's because they have only one target to aim at in the middle. One target can be easily marked. You're playing disciplined and non-roaming so the opposite winger isn't inclined to get into the box either.

It's not a shape that is particularly good for a crossing game and with 2 wingers it isn't particularly effective. The quickest solution is to change one winger to be an IF so that you have one winger playing wide and whipping in crosses and the other

guy acting as a more direct striker-on-the-wing.

If you really want a crossing game though it would probably be best to change formation to something that encourages more guys in the middle. This can be achieved with an AM/STR combo if you want to keep the solo striker thing - probably best if the AM is given a role/duty that gets him forward rather than forming a part of the midfield.

Thanks for your help! Both Santana and Sansone are one footed, so I think none of them can play as IF. What if I drop the crosses thing? What other options do I have? I have players that can play as poacher/DLF, but can't seem to find a succesfull combination that would create counter attacks and goals. What if I increase the creativity and allow roaming for the wingers? Would that help?

You can still use them as IF's, even if they are one footed. They can do more when they can use an opposite foot, but they will still do the IF job on their natural foot. I am sure you've used two striker formations before and not worried about it, right? It's the same thing. They will still get forward in the box, and your other winger can get the crosses in, or the midfielders can pick them out with a pass.

I struggled with performance of my wingers too, but the more I thought about it, the more the term 'attacking wide players' was more appropriate. I literally spent all of yesterday struggling with a formation then started tinkering today.

I generally play with a lone striker as well, so the contribution of my two wide players (AML & AMR) is vital. When I struggled, it was generally because one of the following happened:

- Not enough crosses

- Poor performance from the Striker

- Not combining with players around them (situational awareness)

- They swapped with each other during the game and weren't properly trained in the roles

- Wide players would run into a cul-de-sac

Here's what I changed:

- Ben Arfa in the AMR slot as an IF/A

- Obertan in the AML slot as a Winger/A (having two different roles on either side gives you a variety of options and isn't as predictable as two Wingers on either side)

- Changed the movement of the striker so he wasn't so high up the field all the time (if your wingers get to the byline and float a ball in, he needs to be a little more withdrawn). If I were you I'd give Bianchi a support role.

- Changed the instructions of my two midfielders (I play with an AMC and two MC's)

Once these changes were implemented it was like night and day. In fact, just played Sunderland at home and Obertan scored two and was given the MOM.

Also, if you're playing in a balanced formation, I would expect more from my two centre-mids in terms of crosses as well - I could see your formation becoming very one-dimensional if the opposition took your two wide players out of the game.

Archived