Match Engine Update 13.2.1 - ME 1325 Constructive feedback here please

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what is it with people like you? yous dont seem want to admit that the current match engine is really poor and does not resemble how most of us see how football should be played, we are all adamant that previous fm's where as realistic as we all wanted it to be, but then people like you insist we dont remember what it was actually was like back then, well pal i remember like it was yesterday.

how about you leave us to our opinions why we dislike this current match engine instead of coming back with counter argument after every post and leave the final decisions to the people who actually get things done(SI)

If you're allowed your opinion then surely he must be allowed his? Unless we're under some sort of crazy dictatorship I was unaware of.

Once fixed I'm fairly sure this ME will be closer to a true representation of football than any other. It's close at the moment but there are a few issues that need tweaking to get it there. I'm confident that will happen.

what is it with people like you? yous dont seem want to admit that the current match engine is really poor and does not resemble how most of us see how football should be played, we are all adamant that previous fm's where as realistic as we all wanted it to be, but then people like you insist we dont remember what it was actually was like back then, well pal i remember like it was yesterday.

This is ridiculous. I think the current game is riddled with weaknesses, and have said so on these forums on many an occasion. I only objected to him calling it unplayable! I never said the ME wasn't poor.

I also don't doubt you remember enjoying old FMs more, and indeed some of them were more enjoyable. Purely because they are weaker.

how about you leave us to our opinions why we dislike this current match engine instead of coming back with counter argument after every post and leave the final decisions to the people who actually get things done(SI)

Why can't you see how pathetic it is when you launch into such an attack. Instead of attacking those who dare give their valid opinion that the game isn't unplayable how about you leave me to my opinions why I think the current ME actually is playable (even if not perfect) instead of coming back with attack after every post, and leave the final decision to the people who actually have a say (the mods)

if someone thinks the game is unplayable for them thats there opinion, they payed for the game buddy not you, so for you to counter argument about every point someone has made is not really giving a opinion on the match engine is it, its just you being a smart arse thinking you know best.

if someone thinks the game is unplayable for them thats there opinion, they payed for the game buddy not you, so for you to counter argument about every point someone has made is not really giving a opinion on the match engine is it, its just you being a smart arse thinking you know best.

No, it isn't their opinion. Unplayable means it doesn't play, but it does play, and many people enjoy it. The meaning of the word unplayable is not applicable to this ME.

If the people had made the same comment but used 'rubbish', 'terrible', or similar, instead of 'unplayable', I would have disagreed with them, but I wouldn't dare say they are wrong. 'Unplayable' is wrong.

Didn't you just describe yourself as well?

Anyway it's time to calm down a little for ALL concerned.

Of course it's unplayable. In everything but the literal sense.

I am never going to be one of the guys on here who can sit and write a Players Guide to Football Manager, but I'm competent. I understand the basics of tactics and can get by.

My biggest achievements before this were with very good clubs, with quality players. A day or two ago, I was Newcastle United, where I won the league and cup double, and I played Barcelona and beat them 3-1 in the Camp Nou.

I don't kid myself that this was a sensational performance. But Barcelona did not play the slick ball-through-the-middle game that would have destroyed me. I've run teams against them, such as the Bayern Munich team that could not be beat in FM 2011, and they scalped me. Utterly. Playing the ball through the middle has ALWAYS scalped my teams because I like to play with wingers instead of packing the midfield.

My complaint about my own team's midfielders contributing very few assists was one thing. Watching teams which would demolish you if they only played the ball through the middle ... THAT shatters immersion.

You know how I beat Barcelona? I marked their wide players tightly, bullied them and pushed my full backs into the faces of their full backs. Then I set Ba to run down one wing, cutting inside, and Jonathon Downing to run down the other. Not exactly Jose Mourinho style stuff. No great tactical brilliance.

All three of my goals came from out wide.

Of course it's unplayable. In everything but the literal sense.

I am never going to be one of the guys on here who can sit and write a Players Guide to Football Manager, but I'm competent. I understand the basics of tactics and can get by.

My biggest achievements before this were with very good clubs, with quality players. A day or two ago, I was Newcastle United, where I won the league and cup double, and I played Barcelona and beat them 3-1 in the Camp Nou.

I don't kid myself that this was a sensational performance. But Barcelona did not play the slick ball-through-the-middle game that would have destroyed me. I've run teams against them, such as the Bayern Munich team that could not be beat in FM 2011, and they scalped me. Utterly. Playing the ball through the middle has ALWAYS scalped my teams because I like to play with wingers instead of packing the midfield.

My complaint about my own team's midfielders contributing very few assists was one thing. Watching teams which would demolish you if they only played the ball through the middle ... THAT shatters immersion.

You know how I beat Barcelona? I marked their wide players tightly, bullied them and pushed my full backs into the faces of their full backs. Then I set Ba to run down one wing, cutting inside, and Jonathon Downing to run down the other. Not exactly Jose Mourinho style stuff. No great tactical brilliance.

All three of my goals came from out wide.

So you did exactly what you should when playing Barca, and won, and yet the ME is wrong?

I seriously hope people thinking about buying the game dont come here first before deciding.

I did nothing spectacular. I exploited very clear issues with the match engine.

I repeat; I did not succeed because my tactics were brilliant. I simply knew they would not play the ball through the middle of the park. No team does at present. Not even when it is the obvious way to whip a whelk like me.

I knew what to exploit. Barcelona playing their natural game ... I would not have lived with that. I am not a world beater at this game by ANY manner of means.

And for the record, I posted elsewhere on this thread last week, and I am not one of the guys knocking the SI team for what they're trying to do here. In my view, moving to this version of the match engine was the correct move, because as someone who's back playing FM 2012 at the moment I can see the gulf in quality between that engine and this one ... and when the kinks are ironed out it will be a near flawless masterpiece which will form the basis of every great experience we have with this game for years to come.

Every new feature has improved this game by a sight. It is as close to fully immersive in every other way as I can imagine it getting for now ... although I am sure the SI team have ideas to make it better! They always do! Even one of the 2012 bugbears which drove me nuts, the same "82% of fans voted no" when asked if a certain player should be in the team ... even that now varies haha! Small stuff, yes ... but it's the small stuff that makes a big difference.

Along with the Creative Assembly guys, the SI team are the best in the business when it comes to listening to what the fans want. Let me tell you, for the level of abuse they tolerate on this forum I would be tempted to down tools in the huff if I was on their side of the screen. They soldier on, trying to make this game not only the one we want to play but the one they want to play.

They will get there. But until they do, I'm playing FM 2012, where my Port Vale team is 11th in the league ... but my midfield is once again weighing in with goals and assists ... even if the ball doesn't bounce on the turf during passing ...

I have a Question for Si Games so I know if this is what we can play with, or if it can be worth waiting before starting a big save:

Will you come with an update regarding the ME, if yes, when appro.? Please give us some sort of feedback, because I know there are many out there wondering...

The ai is scoring an absurd number of late game equalizers (and goals in general) from crosses that come from free kicks, corners or unstoppable wing runs (with 3 ppl just watching him as he dribbles to the crossing positiong) that then connect, while i am marking them 2 to 1, 3 to 1, 4 to 1..at this point i just give up, i have my back up save game at the start of the season with good staff, and i have really good tactics...i am calling it, 3 weeks of anguish is enough

I have a Question for Si Games so I know if this is what we can play with, or if it can be worth waiting before starting a big save:

Will you come with an update regarding the ME, if yes, when appro.? Please give us some sort of feedback, because I know there are many out there wondering...

Getting fed up with repeating this tbh, no estimates are possible, that doesn't mean it's far away, it just means that they can't announce it until it's definitelt ready for roll out.

Getting fed up with repeating this tbh, no estimates are possible, that doesn't mean it's far away, it just means that they can't announce it until it's definitelt ready for roll out.

It would be a more then clever move by SI to say appro. when an update will come; 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 6 months? And most important of all: Will there come an update? If yes, tell us then, so we settle a bit...

It would be a more then clever move by SI to say appro. when an update will come; 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 6 months? And most important of all: Will there come an update? If yes, tell us then, so we settle a bit...
If they did that, then they would be committed to releasing soemthing that may not be ready. (Yes one can rightfully joke about them doing so already!) It is much better that they release it when they consider it fit for release, instead of giving a date to pander to the whims of internet nobodies like us

You won't get any answers mate, you just have to log on everyday until it is suddenly is here. I don't quite understand why this is the case but i have no idea on the work and complexity of it all either so i respect that this is just the way it is with the type of thing. Let's hope it's worth the wait.

Something I asked for days ago bit of SI feedback like " Thanks for your patiance guys patch is being worked on" If possible a timescale but if not to let us know we are heard and not forgotten but this is not possible for whatever reason. A patch is either in progress or complete and we do not get an update until its complete.

Something I asked for days ago bit of SI feedback like " Thanks for your patiance guys patch is being worked on" If possible a timescale but if not to let us know we are heard and not forgotten but this is not possible for whatever reason. A patch is either in progress or complete and we do not get an update until its complete.

I am authorised to say this " Thanks for your patience guys the updates are being worked on" unfortunately we can never give a prediction of release date/time because right up until the last moment delays are possible and you'll never let us forget it if we miss a promised prediction :)

With thanks to those who provided information, we've now re-created & fixed the network game issue some were having with #FM13. Update soon.

Miles last tweet. Update solely for network or hotfix?

He's speaking about that specific issue and by update he means, when the fix will be out.

But we already know that!

Paul C, a couple day ago said that they were working in a patch to be released after the january transfer window and that it would be a "hotfix/patch" released before that.

So, by those words... you have your timescale! And you know they are working! What do you want to know more?

Update in progress:

Change list 13.2.2

- Optimised match processing speed for network clients

- Fixed crash during processing linked to co-ownerships

- Fixed crash during processing linked to missing stadium data

- Fixed state saving of staff responsibility setting for match preparation (FMC)

No ME updates as yet.

Gonna send people bananas that news...no ME update included.

Why? this is a hotfix for specific issues which they've been able to fix and test, it doesn't make ME updates any further away than they ever were.

[video=youtube;cCxhknCLGEY]

I'll explain:

Freekick to the opponent, and my keeper decides to go place the ball in the right spot... but the freekick in the midfield! Result... when he is turning back to the goal... they score Just too stupid to be true!

Even funnier is the goalies ridiculous dive AFTER the ball has passed him . Which shows that they do not react until the ball is level or already past them

when we will get a new update which fix the M.E???Please,lets answer a member of S.I

Welcome to the forum, it's not possible to predict when the ME will be updated, so no point in asking I'm afraid.

I feel the need to bring an alternate view to this thread after reading pages of complaining. So here goes.

The match engine has some problems, lower level play seems far too mistake prone and bad, but imo, that has been the case in every iteration of FM at least since the first I played (FM07) and it's still very easy to win and move up in the leagues. Most people in this thread seem to be complaining about top level play though, and that I don't understand.

Players with high dribbling attributes and pace are very good. It doesn't matter if they are wide players or not. You can adjust to this. I almost never surrender goals from crosses, no wide players besides fullbacks, they operate reasonably defensively and have pace and strong mental attributes. Center backs who will win almost everything in the air. Attack wise I have Leandro Paredes (17 pace, 20 dribbling) as a box to box midfielder and a brazilian regen with 16 pace and 18 dribbling (combined cost: 8 million pounds) as an AMC. They score lots of goals.

I'm first in the Premiership as a team that I started in the Championship five years ago with 5 players and middling finances. I'm not saying this to brag or pretend I'm amazing at the game. I finished 17th and 14th my first two seasons in the Premiership. Merely, the idea that the game is unplayable or unbeatable is ridiculous.

You have to adapt your tactics to the way the game is played, just like in real life. Downloading a winning tactic from three versions ago probably isn't going to work. Team cohesion is more important than in previous versions, I believe that the mental attributes also are (anticipation, decisions, etc which would also explain why lower league players are often so terrible) I don't see much of any change in team talks to be honest. Once your manager reputation is high enough you're going to do perfectly fine just using 'assertive: you have faith' in almost every situation.

Try playing a rigid, narrow formation with creative and skilled players in the central midfield and see what happens. Or wait for a patch. Either way, the game is certainly not unplayable. And honestly, if you started a game and can't win as Manchester United or City or Arsenal or whoever you really can't be blaming the match engine.

I gotta ask this...

The people that are always asking for the new patch... are you playing the game?

I am waiting for a patch to fix the issues that are plaguing the ME and yes I am playing.

Let me try to show you how my playing sessions look like: I start the game, play 1 or 2 hours, then ragequit. Then a few days later (or a week), I try again, and I ragequit again. And my experience with FM13 has been like this for a month now.

I just can't stand this version of FM. I understand the need to make the game evolve and building up a whole new ME is probably a necessary step in that direction, but I am not a fanboy willing to wait for weeks and weeks until the game is actually fixed. I bought the game and I am frustated with an unfinished product.

Some people on this forum (and on other websites) have decided to campaign for SI, taking the moral high ground over the masses and explaining that the game isn't that bad, it's just the whinning players that are. Some seem even sure that the game has no issues at all. It seems unbelievable to me.

Some of the issues that I experience and that frustrates me the most:

- my team dominates games (20/30 shots, 55%+ possession, 3 or 4 CCCs) but looses or draws vs weaker teams (5 shots, 0 CCC), it happens a lot;

- my midfielders almost never attempt through balls to my strikers;

- the opposing GKs seem to have the best games of their life when they play against me;

- my defense is unable to stop even crappy striker from scoring the ball on centers;

- my fullbacks suck: too many dribbles, too few tackles, too many mistakes;

- the instructions you can give during games seem useless most of the time;

- the decisions I take during games in reaction to the observations of my assistant coach seem to be useless most of the time;

- the tactics and sliders seem to be useless in some cases (long shots, centers, deep passes, marking);

- etc.

I could go on, but the point is: the game seems unpredictable and unrealistic.

And I have been playing this for more than 10 years, so when I hear people explaining that I should tweak this slider or change that instruction if I want to win games, I really laugh. I have never needed help to play this game and I have almost never tweaked sliders and such to enjoy the game, but now I should because SI is unable to sell a proper game?

My comments may not be very constructive, but this game is by far the worst FM of the last decade at least as far as my playing experience is concerned. I am sure a patch will come and will fix those issues, but would SI release an unfinished product like this if they were selling cars rather than videogames? Sometimes, I wonder if there is even 1 employee who tries the games before they are released.

Here's a piece of feedback that I posted in the bugs-forum:

This is something I've been wanting to do for a while, and I hope I can get someone from SI with me on this.

I've uploaded a .PKM called "saevel271212.pkm". This is of a match between Juventus and Inter in one of my 13.2.1-savegames.

The first half of this match, I've sat through and watched carefully, and I've commented on the things I find simply horrible with the match engine.

I'm not talking about small things, only the very worst that make the game look nothing like real football. These are things that I see happening again and again, every single match.

I originally planned to do it through the whole match, but the game is in such a poor state that the notes from the first half is plenty to work with.

Now, I hope someone will watch what I've just watched, read my comments, and maybe give me some feedback. I realize much of this will be known already, and that some of it may be acceptable and easily explained by some of you.

Here goes:

00:44 Buffon throws the ball past Asamoah, really hard. No reason to do this, there is no opportunity to counter. This happens a lot.

01:51 Buffon is set to Defender Collect, short passing, low creative freedom etc. Still he kicks the ball upfield. Why?

*02:28 Pepe dribbles out of the field (byline) for the first time.

05:36 Asamoah tries to play the ball off a defender, fails.

12:43 Pepe slide tackles towards the byline. Absolutely no hope of getting anything positive out of this.

13:45 I have tight man marking on my wings, and close down to 100%. Why aren't they making it difficult for Handanovic to pass the ball to the backs?

14:15 Counter. Why no runs in behind the defense?

14:41 Giaccherini gets tackled. The ball rolls right past Vucinic. Why does he not react? He walks past it. Then, he finally backs away FROM the ball.

15:21 This happens WAY too often. Pepe just lays the ball in front of Pereira, instead of playing a ball down the flank for Isla.

17:57 -Perfect- for Giaccherini to get a through ball. This never happens anymore.

18:06 45 degrees passes should be more common here. It's either dribble straight on towards the keeper, or this kind of silly cross.

19:07 What the hell is this? Why is my center back out there?

If it's some sort of set play, why not a winger, any why does Pirlo not play it down the flank? This just makes no sense.

--- 20:37 After this attack, where my wingers stayed very far out wide, I changed my tactics slightly. Just Giaccherini to "move into channels".

21:53 This happens too often. Asamoah just stands there and lets himself get closed down. He needs to pass it back to Chiellini or upfield long before that.

22:16 This happens way too often now. Giaccherini's pass is sooo soft, Zanetti doesn't even intercept, he just runs AFTER the ball and picks it up.

22:38 I would very much like to know what Pepe is thinking here. Is he trying to play the ball off the defender again? Is it a through ball to Vucinic,

who is standing with his back towards the goal? If it's to Giovinco, it's fine, then it's just bad judgement I guess.

23:00 Here's another one of those extremely soft passes.

24:00 This looks very weird. Horrible first touch, and then does Cambiasso just walk through the ball?

24:11 This kind of pointless header happens a lot. I can't see a player doing this in real life, instead of trying to take the ball down on the chest, or even with the feet.

24:46 This is the kind of pass that gets very easily intercepted again. Pirlo, one of the world's finest passers, should be able to deliver a better ball.

25:02 What Zanetti does here is pretty inexcusable.

*26:32 Dribble across byline again, by Asamoah

27:05 I find this behaviour by Zanetti very strange. Instead of picking up the ball, he lets it roll out of play, inviting pressure on the following throw-in.

27:46 Again, short passing and defender collect on Buffon. Still, he "hoofs the ball clear" with his LEFT foot. Weird.

Samuel then "heads the ball to safety". A very good header of the ball, he aimlessly puts it where only Pirlo can reach it.

30:30 A pretty insane attempt at something I can't recognize, by Samuel. If it's to Alvarez, it's a strange one, because he's not even near the defensive line, and he's not making a run.

31:27 Much of the same as Samuel's crazy attempt. This makes no sense.

33:04 WHAT IS THIS? I have a feeling Isla is trying to play it off the defender for a throw-in. Extremely strange.

33:27 I'd sure like to know why no one in my tight marking midfield is anywhere NEAR Mudingayi. Giovinco is set to tight man mark btw, he's several meters away from Coutinho.

34:04 This kind of counter is disgraceful. Right now it's a 5 vs 2 situation, which in itself is pretty silly. Marchisio slows down for no reason, though, and hits a "cross" right onto slowpoke Cambiasso, who has now caught up.

35:46 Cassano's pass to Palacio here is of a kind that happens way too often. Struck poorly, behind the player on an attacking move. Cassano is one of the best passers in the game, by the way.

36:04 Again, a long pass upfield from Buffon, directly opposite to all my instructions. It's a free kick, so there's really no attribute to excuse this.

37:14 Seriously... more of this nonsense.

37:42 Asamoah tries to play it off a defender for a I-don't-even-know-what, horribly unsuccessfully.

40:47 This makes me cry a bit. Vucinic is clear on through if he just cares to run. Instead, Giaccherini passes it softly into his feet, and he's easily dispossessed.

41:24 What happens here is pretty silly. I understand that the pass is intended for Bonucci (stupid in itself), but Marchisio has to be ready for that.

41:33 More of this nonsense. Asamoah tries to play it off a defender for a throw-in.

41:57 The marking here is pretty suspect. Why isn't Pirlo covering Alvarez? Why isn't Giovinco covering Mudingayi? Why isn't Asamoah covering Palacio? Why isn't Pepe making himself even slightly useful by pressing Samuel, or at the very least doing what he's told and cover Pereira?

That's it. I understand that fixing these things might require a lot of tinkering that might upset other facets of the match engine, but I feel that there are so many of these really unacceptable things now that SI needs to put significant resources into fixing the match engine. This is not looking like football anymore, and that's ruining the immersion for a lot of people.

My suggestions to fixes, based on this:

-Reaction time for players seems a bit too slow.

-Players need to try to play the ball off of defenders for throw-ins WAY less often, and even less in situations near the middle of the pitch, where it makes no sense.

-When on the counter attack, players need to be more direct in their runs, regardless of "forward runs"-settings. Also, the ball carrier shouldn't stop or slow down.

-There seems to be an issue where the ball is hit much too loosely, too often. This leads to easy interceptions. I think it needs to be toned down, at least for good passers.

-Marking on set pieces, including throw-ins, needs an overhaul. So does marking when the goalkeeper has the ball.

-Keeper distribution still needs work. No need for hard throws when not on the counter.

my observations

-long shots despite specific mandatory instructions not to do them

-long shots due to strikers not trying to dribble around defenders and not being able to keep composed

-people running with ball down wings as if it go to cross it, but then dribbling along the byline towards the near post and sometimes putting the ball through the keeper (impossible physics, should cross it/dribble and pass to 6 yard box instead)

-wingers/full backs scoring by lobbing the keeper when it was meant to be a cross. ok freak goals happen, but this happens too much

-keepers dribbling the ball towards the half way line

-keepers leaving the box to go to kick a ball near the touchline. if they are going to do this, they should dribble the ball back into the box and pick it up if it's legal, or not leave the box at all and let it go out of play. defenders should be chasing the ball

-keepers panic kicking the ball when they are out of position and giving the ball to opposition who then often score by shooting from the half way line

-freak lobs of keeper goals from near the half way line when he is barely off his line and has plenty of time to watch the ball and gather it when it descends towards him

-3+ players chasing 1 super dribbler. 1 should be challenging, others should stay in line, nearby should be ready to re-challenge if first challenge doesn't work

-dribblers still running from half way line towards the 18 when many good passes are on and their team is not on a counter

-too many own goals

-too much woodwork

-in players trying to force corners/throws situations, too often the ball does not bounce off the opposition player, but sticks to him (impossible physics)

-during a throw-in, the bottom of the ball is often black

-centre backs leaving their line to close down too aggressively despite their team fielding at least one defensive midfielder who does that job

-centre backs chasing wingers who dribble down the flanks and full back having to cover. full back should be chasing, centre back should be inside the 18 ready to get rid of incoming crosses.

-noticeable slight pause in time between moment of kick and moment of goal. pause always indicates goal

I have 100 % "cracked" the ME :applause:!!!

- Maximum low on width

- Maximum low on tempo

- High on defensive line

- Tight marking on fullbacks and wingers, with personal man marking on wingers with my own fullbacks.

With these instructions I concede nothing and win comfortably with 60-70% possesion.

The opposition gets zero out of theyre wingers and fullbacks this way, and therefore is complitely neutralized.

Enjoy :lol:

Here are some tactical fixes for a couple of the above issues

-to cut down on long shots and super dribblers, set your midfielders to defensive duty. also try to put them in defensive midfield position

-to prevent cutting frequently inside don't use inside forwards, and put wide players on support duty

-play with 1 striker in support, 1 in attack. good combo is Deep Lying Forward/Target Man (Support) and Advanced Forward

-to prevent super dribblers, use 2 defensive midfielders

Archived