Match Engine Update 13.2.1 - ME 1325 Constructive feedback here please

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe so Paul... but it would be a huge step backwards to take away the ability to manually tweak in the form of classic tactics too...

That's a huge part of football management and to simplify it right down to the TC would be horrible.

They did that with the training module.

I use the TC, but i like the way it is implemented right now. Because you can adjust (tweak) your player/team instructions starting from a base that the TC gives you.

When i built a tactic, i always start from the default "values" that the TC gives me, and after watching the team playing i'll adjust (with the slidders) my team and player instructions.

To remove the possibility to adjust this, it could be a dangerous path to go to, simply because will leave us with less freedom to change things.

In spite of him adding absolutely nothing to what I've told you :D

He did say something I did not know and haven't read before in this topic.

". For example there are not enough goals at lower levels but plenty at higher ones. "

I did not know this. Since i only play low-ish leagues this is one of the reasons i thought i was playing a different game.

". For example there are not enough goals at lower levels but plenty at higher ones. "

I did not know this. Since i only play low-ish leagues this is one of the reasons i thought i was playing a different game.

He was meaning a build he is testing not the one that we all have now.

But he didnt say that, he said in the newest version he is working on there are too few goals in the lower leagues, so no he didnt say anything Kriss hasn't been saying over and over and over, only Paul has a shinny SI badge next to his name so everyone listens. Kriss is just like an old timer on the bus trying to tell you about how life was better in the 40's before we had computers, we all listen to an extent, but for the most part he is ignored :D

But he didnt say that, he said in the newest version he is working on there are too few goals in the lower leagues, so no he didnt say anything Kriss hasn't been saying over and over and over, only Paul has a shinny SI badge next to his name so everyone listens. Kriss is just like an old timer on the bus trying to tell you about how life was better in the 40's before we had computers, we all listen to an extent, but for the most part he is ignored :D

I'm actually a 60's chile and it was better then :D wouldn't have had time for computers, was too busy living the life ;)

Hey,

I'm playing with Man U and I'm getting fantastic results but the fun is out of the game!

My team shoots at goal 20 times or more per game and all of these shots end up far away from goal. They do incredible stuff withe the ball and then shoot from very far and as you can guess, that's it. Never a goal comming from thes actions. NEVER! I put my players on shooting practicly never but this doesn't change a thing. Altough I win most of my games the fun is out of it because of this.

Small point to add is that my attacking players all have eccelent shooting abilities.

Same thing with free kicks! In 6!!! seasons 2 gone in!

Please do something about this so I can enjoy the game like I use to!

Thanks you in advance

This is where the discussion becomes interesting, I for one think that the TC for a new kid on the block, is going to be very challenging. In fact, I think that whilst it does a good job of making solid tactics, it makes a poor job of translating how the the tactic works holistically. For example, what do philosophies mean and what do they do? Then we get to strategy it says counter attacking..but when you look at the team playing it looks like its playing possession based football?; atm this is the TCs glaring weakness. The match engine merely translates the instructions that come from the Tactical Creator. So its fairly easy for someone to choose 4 shouts and go what the heck..its not working. FM14's biggest challenge will not be further refinement of the engine, but the Tactical Creator's relevance to translating football. Getting the TC to translate everything will mean adding so much complexity to the game that it will start becoming too hard to play. We dont need it to be dumbed down either, what we need are better definitions by style of play when you have the ball and when you don't. Thats what teams do in real life.

Style of Play (with ball) - Possession Based, Attacking, Balanced and Defensive, this should set your mentality, creative freedom dline, closing down

Urgency of Play (with ball) - Patient, Balanced, Fast, this should affect tempo, passing and timewasting.

Style of Play (without ball) Full Press, Forward Press, Press in Own Half, Press in Own third this sets closing down, Zonal Tight. Zonal Loose, Man Tight Man Loose

If I were to go into a game for the first time and I see something like that, I can actually visualize how my team will play the game, I am not suggesting that we should overhaul the TC, but I reckon if we were to either A, make better definitions or B, include styles of play when we have and don't have the ball, then more people will be able to translate the TC to get the football they want.

Just my pennys worth..this is so off topic..soz.

Exactly my thoughts.

I have gone from pissed about the removal of the screen in the past, to only using classic and micromanaging sliders, to use the TC exclusively with some very minor tweaks for a given player.

As some have said, a coach doesn't tell his midfielders, stay one click in attack lower than your partner, and pass the ball to 9 yards as your partner will pass to 11,3 yards. Instead you would tell them, stay a bit more defensive than your partner and try short passes to control the game. It means less micromanaging, but it's more realistic than classic sliders, and for sure way less confusing for new FM players.

I still would like to hear from those that still micromanage every slider, if they really think there is a noticeable difference in what is displayed in the ME is one players has passing at 10 and another at 11. Imho there should be just short, mix and long passes and that is what the roles and shouts do, and not to have an scale of 1-10 with no differences unless you set it at the middle or extremes.

I think most of us have enough knowledge about football tactics, but find it hard to translate them to sliders with very confusing labels. That is exactly the TC purpose, but FM still fails on:

- Strategy and philosophies names, still too confusing and very limited.

IE: If i want my team to go more attacking to tie a game, i might want them to push higher, take more risks on their passes and moves without ball, and to have more players going up the field, but it doesn't mean necessarily that i want to them to play totally wide hugging touchline and crossing often and to kick long balls as soon as they get the ball. That is why the attacking strategy is not working, as imho it only suits teams with quick wingers and a TM but not for example teams with skilled midfielders, no wing play and quick but small striker. So if i want to attack but not playing wide and crossing, i need to select attacking, then use 3 or 4 shouts to counter the settings that attacking tactic has predefined.

- Roles, some are very well defined, but others are not that much, so they require some sliders adjustments, what if we could save those as our own predefined roles that perfectly suit our players?

- ME that doesn't fully represent what is created and defined in the TC.

One thing i would add also is custom shouts, for example if i want my team slightly more attacking but keeping the width and pass distance, i could only want to raise the mentality slider and the tempo, leaving the rest of sliders untouched.

This is my biggest frustration right now, as the current ME doesn't suit the football I see in la Liga, and seems more biased to the stereotypes of old English football playing 442.

Of course i wouldn't ever get rid of the classic mode and sliders as some FM customers still love it, but of course if they mess their tactics or create supper tactics that way, then they shouldn't complain that much, or maybe to have a tactical forum split in two, the same for the ME feedback thread.

If you'd actually read his whole post instead of jumping on the bandwagon and crying, he said that people who were upset about the ball physics - a tiny minority who clearly have eyesight problems - would be best served by playing 12 because he has little to no intention of tweaking them.

Tiny minority?... Reading pages of pages of gripes about ME it's hard to call them minority... BTW until proven otherwise they have BOUGHT FM and even they deserve a nice product. It's a nosense responding to people bought a new product go back to previous one. It will have a sense if SI o Mr. Paul gives they back money.

Tiny minority?... Reading pages of pages of gripes about ME it's hard to call them minority... BTW until proven otherwise they have BOUGHT FM and even they deserve a nice product. It's a nosense responding to people bought a new product go back to previous one. It will have a sense if SI o Mr. Paul gives they back money.

Its a tiny minority who think the BALL PHYSICS are worse.

My god, you really do have a problem with reading FFS. Typical GD poster.

78,000 people have played football manager today. That isn't even the total number, just those who have played TODAY.

Lets say 50 complained people have complained about ball physics in total, my rough estimate, that is 0.06% even just using the stats for those who have played today. A tiny minority

Lets do you a favour an imagine that 1,000 people complained about ball physics, which is plainly untrue. Even using the numbers just for people playing today that is 1.2%, a tiny minority.

Also you show an unfortunate understanding of how buying things works. It is in the terms and agreements of Steam that you can't get a refund from them once a game is used. You agreed to that. Also, just because you are not happy with one little bit of the game, which in no way falls foul of the way in which the game was advertised (arguably unlike tones in press conferences....), then in the understandable absence of a unilateral promise by SI to refund everyone not 100% satisfied, there is no good reason for them to refund you.

Just to say (again :D ) my mate has played CM/FM since year dot obsessively and doesn't even know this forum exists, nor is he interested or cares that it does, and doesn't realise there's a problem making the game 'unplayable' (maybe because there isn't one) and I'm guessing 1000s and 1000s are just like him.

Just to say (again :D ) my mate has played CM/FM since year dot obsessively and doesn't even know this forum exists, nor is he interested or cares that it does, and doesn't realise there's a problem making the game 'unplayable' (maybe because there isn't one) and I'm guessing 1000s and 1000s are just like him.

....And for the record he has man love for this version. :D We're the nerdy, obsessive by far minority I think. :(

78,000 people have played football manager today. That isn't even the total number, just those who have played TODAY.

Lets say 50 complained people have complained about ball physics in total, my rough estimate, that is 0.06% even just using the stats for those who have played today. A tiny minority

Lets do you a favour an imagine that 1,000 people complained about ball physics, which is plainly untrue. Even using the numbers just for people playing today that is 1.2%, a tiny minority.

Also you show an unfortunate understanding of how buying things works. It is in the terms and agreements of Steam that you can't get a refund from them once a game is used. You agreed to that. Also, just because you are not happy with one little bit of the game, which in no way falls foul of the way in which the game was advertised (arguably unlike tones in press conferences....), then in the understandable absence of a unilateral promise by SI to refund everyone not 100% satisfied, there is no good reason for them to refund you.

Refund? I don't want to be refunded! I'd like not to read "go back and play FM12". This is the point. Have u ever thinked that maybe not all that are playing want to post in SI forum? Or not all knows english so well to explain the problems they're encountering?. The existence of high number of patches on the one hand reveals the will to solve the problem, but the other is a clear sign that MAYBE something was wrong when programming? Is the first edition that has so many bugs, beside ball-physics. Every ME discussion are full of people reporting bugs. This year FM 13 ME is not so well improved, that's my opionion. If then I must say that everything works great and the other visionaries are crazy if you like I say

Refund? I don't want to be refunded! I'd like not to read "go back and play FM12". This is the point. Have u ever thinked that maybe not all that are playing want to post in SI forum? Or not all knows english so well to explain the problems they're encountering?. The existence of high number of patches on the one hand reveals the will to solve the problem, but the other is a clear sign that MAYBE something was wrong when programming? Is the first edition that has so many bugs, beside ball-physics. Every ME discussion are full of people reporting bugs. This year FM 13 ME is not so well improved, that's my opionion. If then I must say that everything works great and the other visionaries are crazy if you like I say

well, if you want a FM12 ME then the answer "go and play FM12" is perfectly reasonable.

I've got several friends in the same boat, they look at me like im speaking foreign when i mention bugs in the ME. This game isnt the train wreck these threads have made it out to be, thousands are HAPPILY enjoying this game.

He was meaning a build he is testing not the one that we all have now.

Misread it.

Still there seems to be some kind of truth in it in this version but that is only based on gut feelings and my own experience in lower leagues.

Anyone also think that could be a issue with the amount of shots hitting the woodwork?

In my last 3 games, my team had 11 shots at the woodwork.

In my last game, there were 8 shots against the woodwork. 5 for my team, 3 for the opponent team.

Too much, dont you think?

I'm not going to argue that the TC couldn't be more sophisticated or that the instructions couldn't be clearer. Of course it and they could. However, that's not the only problem.

We had a forum and scene wide misperception that the TC "dumbed down" the game and a long-time obsession with designing and downloading super-tactics. FM13 illustrated just how many people had never even tried the TC beyond a couple of cursory games after which they gave up as it "didn't work". We also have to deal with people obsessing about exactly what each slider means and thinking that a couple of clicks make all the difference in the world. We then have the "I understand football and it's not my tactics" posters. Not to mention myths about tactics-cracking, super-goalies and other AI cheats.

Add on the expectations that players should religiously follow instructions, no matter what, plus the notion that you should do well simply by setting sliders to mirror attributes, and you'll see the massive issue we have. Lots of bad but complex theories and blind hubris obfuscating what is really a very simple game. It's not just the lack of in-game info, but the masses of bad out-of-game info the fan forums generate. My method of dealing with it is strongly challenging those who try to spread incorrect information (as you've seen for yourself) and offering simple advice for those willing to listen.

In answer to your other point, the current ME certainly impacts on the TC in its mis-balance between long shots and through balls, but that's something I expect to improve. I also don't think it makes a logically sound tactic suddenly stop winning. If it did, it would never have been released.

Took me years to work out that out. I used to obsess over sliders to the extent I overcomplicated things. I know people who don't come on this forum that can have won cups with lesser teams simply by playing the game with minimal fuss. Sometimes it takes longer than one season but they get there and find enjoyment from it. I've learned to not fuss over sliders or complicate thing and have enjoyed the game much more. I must admit, I still don't really understand how to react to situations by looking at the game but I enjoy the game much more now.

Since I'm changing between 12 and 13 a lot, I suddenly notice some stuff.

In 12, your players actually cut in on a shot on goal, whereas in 13 they do not.

What I mean is that if in 12 a midfielder doesn't make a through pass but actually shoots on goal, any player in front of him will try to make it to the line of that shot and deflect it. That means a whimpy shot may actually turn into a brave assist. In 13, they (players in front of the shot or near it's line) never, ever cut in on a shot on goal.

Hi Guys nice to meet you.....I'm from Turin Italy....

I'm new in the forum ...I was told that I had to write here. So...I'm not new to football manager .... in fact I started playing championship manager 94. but I think this fm the ugliest and the most unlikely ever ... I do not know if it 'a bug or have bad set rules ..... but missed many offside. (obviously against me) mess up the fouls by whistle ... no whistle came from behind the opponent .... player who falls to 3 meters from you, foul and yellow card. or my door trying to pass the ball without looking at her next move (goals) or how many times my defenders let go easily from chiunque.tu need to do 20 shots of which at least 12 to door ... but they mark a shot and a goal. you can also tell me it 'the difficulty of the game ..... but it' s a simulation (was) must be real and the possible + because, in the old fm the referees were wrong but fell into the category of football, not here. here are 2 things or have done a poor job and do not know the rules of football ... or you have intentionally ruined an icon .... then 45 euro wasted. what do you think?

Sorry if my English is not good I got help from google translate .... :)

I gotta say... google translate is ****! :lol:

For what i understand from Dexter79 words, he plays FM since CM94 and he dont like the game. He also thinks there is a issue related with the offside rule (too many offsides not given).

He also thinks that his team needs too many shots to score a goal, while the opponent scores at the first attempt (i swear i've read this before :lol:)

non c'e' problema, forse se faceste meno i genietti e rispondeste al mio post fareste più bella figura....ma che ne volete sapere voi l'unica differenza e' che io l'inglese lo mastico ma cercavo un modo per farmi capire meglio....voi invece non capite una beata cippa di quello che sto scrivendo vero???perche' siete dei pivellini ignoranti.....logicamente 2 gagnetti ignoranti come voi possono solo pensare di deridermi... a mortiscausa....usi il latino per il tuo nick ma sei sicuramente un ignorante come pochi visto che usi il latino traducimi questo .....usa tu google: Risus abundat in ore stultorum....per il desaparesidos portoghese....non hai capito niente infatti.....ma che ci vuoi fare,sei portoghese non e' colpa tua....non ho detto: troppi fuorigioco non dati: wrong offside noob.....maybe u don't know the rules of football and I don't have much time to teach u ....la prox volta stupido noob di qualcosa d'interessante ma evidentemente sei un. arruso orat e succhia

i'd like to point out that short passes are very often undershot, which is one of the big reasons you see huge blunders at the back..and the ocasional incredibly questionable decision...i will also try to translate the italian text our friend dexter79 posted, if nobody else will

I struggle with this argument as it is far too literal and confuses the necessity of limitations in game-play with how the real world works.

Firstly, classic v creator tactics. It is far more easy for a user to make a tactic that makes player quality completely irrelevant through the classic model. Why? The TC removes the fine-tuned control classic managers have access to. You are far more reliant on player quality because of this than you ever are when micro-setting sliders. The TC limits the manager to exactly the same decision structures as the AI, meaning he cannot magically beat everyone by getting his players to do something the AI is not capable of. The quality of the player becomes far more important that the structure of the tactic. In contrast, classic tactics can completely break the ME, giving the AI no chance of competing. Player quality becomes almost an irrelevance.

Secondly, nowhere in the game does it state that the "Shouts" as a match strategy cannot pre-exist the tactic and thus are not part of pre-match or in-match discussions. Indeed, you can develop and load up shout combinations to impose a playing style or match strategy prior to every game. You are restricting them to being something the manager only initiates during live play. That is not what they are nor how they are intended. I can accept that they are not integrated into the game as much as they could be and are sorely lacking from the training module, for example, resulting in people thinking that way. However, they are anything but random things shouted out from the sidelines to hopefully change games. They should be conceptualised as pre-match tactical planning put into operation, as should roles, duties, strategies and adjustments, and can be used to exactly simulate the meeting between the Assistant and manager. The FMC match plans touch at this and perhaps should be more integral to full fat FM.

Thirdly, as discussed in the tactics' forum, your idea that footballers should do a bit of everything and be trusted by the manager to make decisions on the pitch is fully integrated into the TC in the Very Fluid philosophy and generic role settings. Granted, there is no Vanilla Role for all positions in which every player is told to do everything on 'Mixed', which is what you seem to want. Do you really believe DCs should be given equal freedom to Run With the Ball as wingers? If so, then the TC doesn't do what you want. However, if you think they should be allowed to if the right opportunity opens up, then Very Fluid, the generic DC/D role/duty and some good decision making defenders will produce exactly what you are after.

Fourthly, you seem to think that your way of managing is the only way people manage. You state:

You continually misinterpret my position. I fully accept that some managers manage that way, and that the Very Fluid philosophy encourages and supports this belief. What I don't accept is that all managers manage this way, simply because of the reams of evidence, theoretical, empirical and practical, that they don't. Some manager are total control freaks and cannot abide players who deviate from their tactical plan. FM has to cater for both schools, in the extreme and the positions in between. The TC does that.

Ultimately, I think you are too focused on sliders and assume that your interpretation of them is how they actually work. That is the reason for your dissatisfaction with the tactical module. It has to be, because it does everything you are asking it to do and has actually moved the game significantly towards the necessity of having good players to do well and made dominance through exact tactical control far less likely, if not impossible. I'd go as far as flipping your whole argument over and argue that the sliders undermined player ability, intelligence and decision making, whereas the TC illuminates them.

Are AI managers restricted to the same explanations, given to human players, in the manual, or are they privy to clearer/actual/updated info? (eg your recent explanation of Creative Freedom)

dexter79's post:

"i will speak in italian, so that you may translate.."

"Hi, i am David from Torino, i speak italian, which aside from being a language that has made history, is the only language i speak well, other than the latin (tn : probably speaking of the language's origins) french, and i see that instead of helping me, there are people here being mean, because it is from behind a monitor..i write in italian..perhaps someone will be able to help me and not mock.."

"i play the fm for a lifetime now, and i've always had a fantastic game...for me, fifa or PES are not even competition.Regardless, i have to confess..this year, i have observed so many bugs that i get tired trying to understand if they are bugs or you have mistaken certain rules...i've noticed that the out-of-game commentary has worsened (TN: he is perhaps referring to how offsides are called)..now it happens very often (overall, at a disfavor of the human player), that the offsides are often miscalled...in fm12 this also happened, but it was part of it and made the game much more beautiful...instead, now it does not only ruin it...like the incredible mistakes at the back...and you see players 3 meters away from each other and the ref calls foul and gives cards...without forgetting about the mistakes from the goalies..i understand that a portuguese, a frenchman and an englishman have problems understanding each other ( your keepers are very scarce . TN:?) in everyday things, but for me..no.It happens often that you see the goalie not coming out to close down, does not move (clearly the one from my team), or that it allows shots to pass by him from the midfield at 5 km/ h and it just watches it as it passes by him and goes in. Honestly, it displeases me to complain but i find it absurd spending 45 euro for a football arcade game and not a simulation. Therefore, my doubt is : is it a bug ?? or is it that things were simply rushed ?? It has been marketted as a football simulation (that changes from year to year) at 45 euro, and in january it still keeps on having errors ??? and did you realise that the lasat patch ( downloaded 2 [...] ago ) gives so many problems ?? many times this did not happen, and i've had to reinstall the game many times since i've downloaded it.."

TN: I've done my best to translate this, but my primary focus in college was english, not italian, so i apologise to the writer if i have made a few mistakes along the way.

non c'e' problema, forse se faceste meno i genietti e rispondeste al mio post fareste più bella figura....ma che ne volete sapere voi l'unica differenza e' che io l'inglese lo mastico ma cercavo un modo per farmi capire meglio....voi invece non capite una beata cippa di quello che sto scrivendo vero???perche' siete dei pivellini ignoranti.....logicamente 2 gagnetti ignoranti come voi possono solo pensare di deridermi... a mortiscausa....usi il latino per il tuo nick ma sei sicuramente un ignorante come pochi visto che usi il latino traducimi questo .....usa tu google: Risus abundat in ore stultorum....per il desaparesidos portoghese....non hai capito niente infatti.....ma che ci vuoi fare,sei portoghese non e' colpa tua....non ho detto: troppi fuorigioco non dati: wrong offside noob.....maybe u don't know the rules of football and I don't have much time to teach u ....la prox volta stupido noob di qualcosa d'interessante ma evidentemente sei un. arruso orat e succhia

No need to overreact, surely people have to understand not everybody in the world is able to speak and write e proper english (me included) and for sure sarcasm, in this case, was gratuit, even with no bad intentions I'm sure.

However this doesn't give you the right to abuse other users, especially when nobody abused you.

Why u apologise....yes many words translate are worng...but isn't my problem . I do not pretend anything but some respect than being laughed at( da 2 burini). I don't speak very well english and knowing that my post was difficult to explain, I preferred use google translate.what 's my fault??we are adults or children who make fun of how people are talking about? obviously not 'refers to nenshoua

Can't blame the guy for using google translate..it's pretty frustrating trying to make yourself heard when you lack the voice to...and mocking that is kinda cruel, actually..but it's the internet, so we can suspend being good-natured human beings right..the FM forums are generally more mature than most internet forums, but they used to be much better, still.

I do not use illegally in the forum and of course 'in english .... but to be laughed at as I write this it seems to me very childish .... then the blame will surely be mine, all mine .... So sorry, I wrong forum, I'll try 'one where instead of being made ​​fun of, someone to respond to my post .... so I'm just wasting time .. see ya

Wow .. straight from Google Translate!!

"However you have completely misunderstood the meaning of their post. They should avoid those comments just because they are easy to misunderstand, what you have done. There are several users who use google translator, which sometimes suggests some real crap. But we laugh at the translator, not the user who instead is valued for the will to be understood in a language he does not know.

Again, they could have avoided but your reaction was exaggerated and offensive."

I don't see how Italian being 'a language that made history' is relevant but okay :D. Also, it did not, Latin made history. (assuming this was translated correctly)

Nenshoua about passes being undershot I have the exact same problem in one of my saves using a 4222 box tactic, but in another save using the same tactic but different settings it never happens. Passes connect, i see flowing attacks, i even see some throughballs.

How do you use shouts? I recommend making a simple tactic and only using 2,3 shouts at the same time. What I do in the save that has good football: i play fluid-attack, but switch this from attack to different mentalities at the start of the match based on enemy. Then I only start with 'play ball into box' because my players suck at shooting from distance, and sometimes push up higher/hassle if opponent is really bad.

It seems like using 5+ shouts overcomplicates things and there is more danger of using shouts that work against each other/against your tactic. (technically in my opinion this should not be possible it just seems this way.)

I have 100 % "cracked" the ME :applause:!!!

- Maximum low on width

- Maximum low on tempo

- High on defensive line

- Tight marking on fullbacks and wingers, with personal man marking on wingers with my own fullbacks.

With these instructions I concede nothing and win comfortably with 60-70% possesion.

The opposition gets zero out of theyre wingers and fullbacks this way, and therefore is complitely neutralized.

Enjoy :lol:

What is your tactic like otherwise? Formation?

Archived