Financial question

Just a question , if i'm keeping my salary budget below the cap by 50 k/month, don't transfer at all as my funds are scarce and have a decent number of season tickets sold , over 30k why am i posting a negative balance. Almost 3 mil last season...I do not remember having this problem in FM12 as i always watched my finances carefully.

Is there a new element for fm 13 in the financial part that i have to be careful ? Because i have been paying attention and still end up with a deficit, and it is not a small one !

And i do not have any loans outstanding. Can someone help me with this predicament?

Clubs in real life are always in the red and I think this is what FM is stating. Im playing as Coventry on my save and back when I was in League 1 for 2 seasons and a bit through Championship, my wages were always well under the limit, bit I always ended up in the red. It wasnt until I started selling players that I was well in the black.

But I think this happens in real life, so it doesnt bother me.

Clubs in real life are always in the red and I think this is what FM is stating. Im playing as Coventry on my save and back when I was in League 1 for 2 seasons and a bit through Championship, my wages were always well under the limit, bit I always ended up in the red. It wasnt until I started selling players that I was well in the black.

But I think this happens in real life, so it doesnt bother me.

Clubs often make month to month loses throughout the season, prize money/sponsorships that get paid out during the summer is what gives them the majority of their cash back

Seeing that i got promoted from Scottish division 2 to division 1 , there hasn't been any prize money at all. I had to sell one of my 2 valuable players to cover the deficit and i think it was the first time the board prompted me that i should start selling because we're in the red. Never had that happen before in earlier fm versions.

Problem is i do not have any valuable guys to sell and youngsters that i have raised through two seasons are not growing in value like in previous versions. Must be the lower league but a high scorer can't still be worth 15 k going forward. It's my first time playing in Scotland since maybe 2003 and i have to admit coaching Rangers was a challenge. The only good thing is that by being relegated to the last league they start with no loans and debts.

Clubs often make month to month loses throughout the season, prize money/sponsorships that get paid out during the summer is what gives them the majority of their cash back

This makes perfect sense. But what about the teams that are mid-table? How can they be expected to be even close to breakeven 4-5 years down the road? Are there any strategies to take?

This makes perfect sense. But what about the teams that are mid-table? How can they be expected to be even close to breakeven 4-5 years down the road? Are there any strategies to take?

As a mid table team, your ambition should be to maintain mid team team status. That means buying player on the cheap and if there are interested parties, you sell them if it means a profit. You give youths plenty of chances because they are cheap, and sell them for profit once they perform well. Ultimately you can try to get out from this trap by not selling and making a push to challenge for title, but if you fall short then so will your finance and your job soon after (for real life mid table club managers).

• SI Staff

Clubs usually tend to run on a loss even at lower levels, with the directors covering losses every now and then. And this is even if the manager stays well below the wage budgets set by the board. The wage budgets are usually set mainly to allow the manager to field a competitive squad for the level of competition, but with some financial restraints based on the expected income/expenditure of the club.

Overall, keeping below the wage budget is sensible but it is no guarantee that the club will break even.

Archived