So according to FMH Bolton is bigger than Newcastle?

I am controlling Newcastle to 2015 now. I qualified for Champion Leagues once and Europa league for the rest. Nobody want to discuss with the club saying that they don't believe I can't meet their "demand". All big name signing can't be made now because they don't talk to me. I offered Joao Moutinho 80K a week with 1.5m signing fee but he chose to sign for Bolton for 30K a week instead. Here I thought finishing 5,6,6,7th place would be amazing result in real life, LOL.

What did I do wrong? I just don't get it. So far my squad consists of youngsters I signed from Bosman or no club. Occasionally, I get some surplus youngsters from other clubs. I managed to sign only two big name so far, Willian from Shakhtar and Marko Marin from Chelsea. Fans celebrated the former but not the later. Meanwhile Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea have all spent at least 70m a season on their signing (which TBH I found to be quite ridiculous as Chelsea wouldn't need the 10th wingers). Many times the bid fell through because their squad is full. Even then those players still wouldn't talk to me.

How do I get them to talk to me? I have enough second rate players to keep my club running but I want a superstar to have immediate impact on the team as Marin did to my team. Any suggestion?

• SI Staff

You're a few years in the future as such you can't judge things by todays standards without taking into account how your 'reality' has evolved ...

You've been doing fairly well by the sounds of things, but you haven't indicated how Bolton are getting on themselves - if they're in Europe and doing well (especially if in the Champions League) then obviously that might have an effect ...

Also what players do you have in that position already? - João Moutinho is what 29-30 at that point in the game, so its probably his 'last' big move, if he thinks he's in danger of stagnating on the bench leading to a lack of interest and few possible moves or contract renewals in the future and might have persuaded him to move to a club which is smaller but where he might have more impact etc.

(theres usually logic behind such things - however I do agree at times we could do better explaining things to the user, but space on the UI is at a premium and translations take time so its not always possible ...)

With regards to signing a 'big name' - look for someone nearing the end of their contract, preferably at a huge club who might struggle to retain their first team slot next year because of age or a big new signing by the club ....

Nop, Bolton isn't qualified for any international cup at all. They also didn't win anything as I keep checking players on those team who won the cup tournament every season. I thought they might get taken over but most of their squad seems to be intact.

As of now Moutinho is at 28. I have 2 DMC that can play at MC, the best in that position is Tiote. The best MC is Cabaye. I have two youngsters that I rotate in that position in cup matches (Abeid, Bigirimana) and one MC that my coach keep nagging me to replace him. Although there are others who can play in that position but I usually play them out wide due to great crossing attribute. So I doubt that is the cause.

Anyway, some of my youngsters and freebies have turned out to be quite quality for this season. I'm gonna shoot for title or at least UCL and then see how these people look at me then.

Apart from this topic, I also found coach/scout comment to be unreliable. My coach told me to replace Krul and suggest some GKs to me and one of them is Fraser Foster. So I scouted him and they say he's better than Krul regardless of the lack of stats on him. Almost breaking the bank and signed him at 8m, now my coach says that he's only good enough as a back up.

I really think coach/scouting could use some improvement. As I like to sign versatile players even if I have his position (and his preferred position) in mind but when scouting the comment would frequently compare it to him. Says Willian who is AMC. As I like to either play 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1. I'm gonna need a right winger, but many time my coach would say he's not good enough and way off from Willian who I want my right wing to play alongside him. Perhaps ability to scout and choose position to play him and to compare with "best player in that position" or "specific player in my team" would be helpful.

While the game isn't without flaw and can't really be compared with PC version, it's still so much fun and working well. Thank you :)

• SI Staff
Apart from this topic, I also found coach/scout comment to be unreliable. My coach told me to replace Krul and suggest some GKs to me and one of them is Fraser Foster. So I scouted him and they say he's better than Krul regardless of the lack of stats on him. Almost breaking the bank and signed him at 8m, now my coach says that he's only good enough as a back up.

Thats an interesting point actually - the scouts and coaches are different people in the game and can have different opinions ... do you think it'd help if I ensured the same person always contributed the opinion for both scouting and coach reports? (I have to admit I've never really thought about it, they're 'different people' irl so I'd never considered it might confuse people before).

I really think coach/scouting could use some improvement. As I like to sign versatile players even if I have his position (and his preferred position) in mind but when scouting the comment would frequently compare it to him. Says Willian who is AMC. As I like to either play 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1. I'm gonna need a right winger, but many time my coach would say he's not good enough and way off from Willian who I want my right wing to play alongside him. Perhaps ability to scout and choose position to play him and to compare with "best player in that position" or "specific player in my team" would be helpful.

Thats a fair point and something to consider for the future - thanks for the constructive feedback, much appreciated :D

Thats an interesting point actually - the scouts and coaches are different people in the game and can have different opinions ... do you think it'd help if I ensured the same person always contributed the opinion for both scouting and coach reports? (I have to admit I've never really thought about it, they're 'different people' irl so I'd never considered it might confuse people before).

At this stage without able to tell how good my scout is, I'd prefer to have accurate comment that reflect the state of my squad. Ideally tho, it should remain two level of scout/assistant manager. Scouting should find me a good players to look at. Then perhaps I could as my assistance for second opinion on how can the guy contribute to my current squad.

I'm not sure how they are really working but I'd envision them to work as a unit. Scout goes out looking for players and carrying specific request as such as position, style if any. Etc.

Bolton is a much bigger club than Newcastle so what is the issue? ;)

Half a season in, they are in the relegation zone, battling, already. My team is now on the top of the table with 1 more game to play and yet leads 3 points + goals. So yeah, I'm pretty happy that a wee club like mine can do that ;)

Archived