What tips do I need to spot a potential star?

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask for some advice on finding potential star players.

I have a good coach with high potential ability attribute so that is easy for looking at my own players.

However when I look at these players the attributes do not look all that.

So just wondering what is the lowest an attribute can be at the age of 15-17 in the key attributes for a role & the player will still be able to become a good player?

Appreciate that determination of 15+ has a great impact etc.

Regards

Jonathan

I'm not sure there is a 'low point'. If you concentrate training on a specific attribute it can be increased. Plus, the 'key attributes for role' doesn't require every attribute to be very high. You could have one lower attribute if the others are high enough.

I had a defender that i've found randomly free at the age of 16. At that time i had a ban to transfer players over 17 so i had to look at very young players,have them on trial as i couldn't even scout them and see what potential they have. Getting back to this kid i've had him since he was 16, now he's almost 19 and his atributes have went up very much. For example he had heading,marking tackling at 11 and now almost all three are at 15. Other attributes went up as well. All i did was train him on the DC position and play him along my veterans in the back.

Like a conclusion , training for a certain position mixed with first team time and tutoring can have good effects on a player with not that high attributes. At least in my opinion. High determination and work rate help as well.

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask for some advice on finding potential star players.

Jonathan

Stats can be safely ignored usually, most youth will have rubbish stats, unless they really are world beaters.

In general the key things to look for in a report are;

1) Determination

2) Personality type - anything professional will do you the world of good

3) Injury proneness - because injuries will hamper growth.

Then it's a matter of getting a scout to watch a player for a few weeks, their estimations (potential stars in the report) improve over time (at least it DID in FM12, I have no reason to assume they've changed that...) and then you simply have to make a snap judgement on it. In previous versions once you hit the top level, most youth will be considered poor quality even by 20/20 scouts so you need to hang on to them for around three or so years to work it out yourself - or I do anyway.

A couple of important things when looking for youth:

1) Attribute spread - look for players that have their best stats in the most important stats for their role, as CA points are wasted on unnecessary attributes.

2) Personality - Here is a great thread about what each personality means in terms of hidden attributes: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/307808-The-Ultimate-Personality-Media-Handling-Guide

A couple of important things to remember once you've signed him:

1) Game time - As much as possible in the first team.

2) Rest - If he is overplayed and gets tired, he'll be more likely to get injured. Injury = hampers development.

If you can't give him game time, try and get him loaned out to a club in the same league or one below if possible, as a first team member. Cover player loans are generally a waste of time.

Archived