Overpowering Speed?

Anybody else agree? This works for me and against me but it's so unrealistic. For example my RB has 15 speed and accel, we've just played against Chelsea and Hazard has 16 speed, 17 accel and my RB literally couldn't catch him once. Not only that but due to the overpowering speed we now see teams of greedy wannabe Maradona's.

For me there shouldn't be a big difference in speed unless for example your RM has 18 speed/accel and the opposition LB has 13 speed/accel.

i think there's more to it than just speed. Hazard has great dribbling & agility for example. Your RB's tackling, marking & concentration etc will matter as well.

A winger with only speed should not get past your RB as much

(tbf Hazard is one of the more gifted wingers in the game, it's not unnatural that he's harder to catch for your backs..)

I would expect my winger with 20 pace and acceleration (17 dribbling) to beat almost all FBs he faces.

I have one of those as well - and he is quite hard to catch when he decides it is time to run with the ball. The defenders need to get themselves right in front of him to deter running in the first place; once he reaches full speed they are helpless...

I have one of those as well - and he is quite hard to catch when he decides it is time to run with the ball. The defenders need to get themselves right in front of him to deter running in the first place; once he reaches full speed they are helpless...

I would expect with 20 pace and acceleration that he is up to full speed very quickly. The trouble is the defenders are not smart enough to deal with him, either before he gets the ball or when he has it. In this ME he just picks up the ball in plenty of space, runs and scores, every game. He is my Messi, except he's only worth £1.4m. It feels like cheating but setting him to RWB often and the game is won before I have started. Last three games I'd scored 5+ goals in each one and he has a ridiculous goal ratio.

I saved the game before this patch and have continued under a different save name because I didn't want to ruin my career with this silly football, but playing through the season in 13.2.1 and it's too easy.

Gareth Bale?

Pretty sure he has 'overpowering speed' IRL, he's left some fulbacks who probably have 15/15 for pace/acc in FM for dead and is uncatchable at full pace. He also works that way in the game, set him as a defensive winger and watch him destroy.

I would expect with 20 pace and acceleration that he is up to full speed very quickly. The trouble is the defenders are not smart enough to deal with him, either before he gets the ball or when he has it. In this ME he just picks up the ball in plenty of space, runs and scores, every game. He is my Messi, except he's only worth £1.4m. It feels like cheating but setting him to RWB often and the game is won before I have started. Last three games I'd scored 5+ goals in each one and he has a ridiculous goal ratio.

I saved the game before this patch and have continued under a different save name because I didn't want to ruin my career with this silly football, but playing through the season in 13.2.1 and it's too easy.

My winger sadly has 4 finishing and 7 composure, though, but he still scores regularly and often after cutting through the entire defense shooting with his weaker foot. I hope that when he's fully developed he will be a more well-rounded player. As he is now he is rather one-dimensional (speed, dribbling, crossing) so it is as you say ridiculous that he is as dominant as he is...

My winger sadly has 4 finishing and 7 composure, though, but he still scores regularly and often after cutting through the entire defense shooting with his weaker foot. I hope that when he's fully developed he will be a more well-rounded player. As he is now he is rather one-dimensional (speed, dribbling, crossing) so it is as you say ridiculous that he is as dominant as he is...

I only have 10 for composure, but the following is insane:

20 pace, acceleration, agility.

19 work rate, balance.

18 crossing, off the ball, determination, first touch, stamina.

17 dribbling and finishing.

Pace has been an overpowered weapon in FM for such a long time...

Any random guy whose attributes would be more fitting for a track & field career than for football can STILL be rated highly and have a successful career in FM world.

As long as he can run in space, it barely matters if he's crap at every other aspect of the game... he'll still score a lot.

Had real life worked like FM, Oba Martins would have won several Ballon d'Or...

Any random guy whose attributes would be more fitting for a track & field career than for football can STILL be rated highly and have a successful career in FM world.

As long as he can run in space, it barely matters if he's crap at every other aspect of the game... he'll still score a lot.

Speed -is- actually a very important factor in the modern game.. not exclusively so, but still.

I recall usain bolt contemplating to join man utd last season. Not realistic perhaps, but i'd still like to see how he'd perform.

Speed -is- actually a very important factor in the modern game.. not exclusively so, but still.

I recall usain bolt contemplating to join man utd last season. Not realistic perhaps, but i'd still like to see how he'd perform.

He would be one of the easiest players to play against. He wouldn't have the required skill so you just sit very deep. His main strength is running without the ball. So if you don't give him space behind you, he's very infective. I would imagine with the ball he'd be very slow, and not very skilful.

I'd say "quickness", not raw pace.

No sprint runner would ever make a good footballer without the technical skills to match the pace...

It's more a matter of "brain-feet coordination", or quickness of execution, than of running fast.

You can always come first on a loose ball, or catch up a defender, but if you can't trap the ball, pass it or shoot it properly, you're going to be a one-trick pony and a very easy one to counter as well.

Speed is very important irl.. if you look at modern scouting techniques used by ajax and other leaders you'll find pace and speed to be one of the main components they look for... over technical skills etc most of the time aswell..

BUT.. I do feel the emphasis on certain attributes, including pace, in the game is too much and could be toned down somewhat maybe..

Then again.. I see the likes of Nathan Dyer, with little technical brilliance comparatively, excel week in week out in the Premiership due to purely to his raw pace.

The problem in FM is that your super fast player will skin his opponent every time he tries. The AI isn't 'intelligent' enough to realise player A is skinning player B constantly, therefore I'll position player B slightly deeper and ease off tight marking to compensate. In real life once a FB has been skinned once or twice he'll adapt his game instinctively, or be told to by his teammates/manager if he's an idiot :D

So while the AI can't adjust adequately to properly counteract fast players, I agree with the OP - the power of pace needs to be lessened. Either by making it sap stamina so players can only sprint at top speed so many times before becoming exhausted, and the length of each sprint shortened as the match progresses, or by reducing the gap & effectiveness between 20 pace and 17 pace (for example).

I can vouch for this. At least on FM11 where I created a team full of un-skilled Usain Bolts and tested them against a set of highly-skilled but lowly paced players. Usain Bolt XI steamrollered every match.

I think FM13's collision detection is a godsend as at least the power of pace has been lessened, but it still far too overpowered on the whole.

In real life once a FB has been skinned once or twice he'll adapt his game instinctively, or be told to by his teammates/manager if he's an idiot :D
If I hadn't watched Ian Harte play for the last three years, I would agree with you :(

This is him. Still some way to go in terms of development, but he is closely becoming the best player I've ever managed.

8ViOu.png?1

Very good. Not as rounded as I like my players to be, but extreme enough that it doesn't matter.

Decisions is trained through Tactics and would increase more with the more defensive striker roles. In any case, related to this thread, players like that are very efficient in FM and always has been. To be fair this guy would be efficient also in real life, but also quite frustrating for the fans I imagine.

Archived