Bypassing Midfield and pass directly to attackers?

Im trying to create a counter attacking tactic that focusing on getting the ball and get a direct pass to attackers.

Lets say im trying to replicate Inter 2009/2010 style under Jose Mourinho.

"Direct passing" not really works for me,any suggestion?

Example:

[video=youtube;14I0nhjba8Y]

The regular counter tactic does that: it plays a slow patient style unless you can hit them on the break, if you gain possesion and there is an opportunity to counter it will do that.

Also look at your midfielders, depending on the roles you give them they also have an individual passingstyle, for example a dlf has mixxed passing iirc even if you set team to short, meaning he can still pass directly to your strikers.

I've always been of the belief that increasing passing length simply increases the 'range' of passing that a player can choose to play, not 'encourage' a longer passing length.

As the chance of playing a longer pass increases players will play more long passes and their overall passing length would increase but it's not a case of saying - notch 2 and most passes will be 2 yards, notch 20 and most passes will be 20 yards etc etc. My opinion (and there is plenty of opposition to it) is that notch 2 (for example) limits guys to playing short passes whether notch 20 'allows' long passes.

But short passing strategy will see players play the odd long pass and long pass strategy will see players play short passes, in fact, if your tactic is narrow and quick then you'll still get the majority of short passes because there are more of them available.

What all this means is that it can be pretty difficult to really 'encourage' long passes forward and I haven't seen any evidence of a tactic that really does just get guys hoofing it forward (you'll see players with poor mental and technical ability do this but thats not a tactical thing).

The only thing that does really 'encourage' long passes forward kazm has already mentioned, counter attack ticked but it'll only encourage it when you regain possession, not really at other times.

I've always been of the belief that increasing passing length simply increases the 'range' of passing that a player can choose to play, not 'encourage' a longer passing length.

As the chance of playing a longer pass increases players will play more long passes and their overall passing length would increase but it's not a case of saying - notch 2 and most passes will be 2 yards, notch 20 and most passes will be 20 yards etc etc. My opinion (and there is plenty of opposition to it) is that notch 2 (for example) limits guys to playing short passes whether notch 20 'allows' long passes.

But short passing strategy will see players play the odd long pass and long pass strategy will see players play short passes, in fact, if your tactic is narrow and quick then you'll still get the majority of short passes because there are more of them available.

What all this means is that it can be pretty difficult to really 'encourage' long passes forward and I haven't seen any evidence of a tactic that really does just get guys hoofing it forward (you'll see players with poor mental and technical ability do this but thats not a tactical thing).

The only thing that does really 'encourage' long passes forward kazm has already mentioned, counter attack ticked but it'll only encourage it when you regain possession, not really at other times.

This was my [limited] understanding of how passing works.

Can you have more than one target man? Say an AML, AMR & STC set to target men with supply set to run onto ball?

The issue I have is in thinking the longer balls forward to players in an attacking position requires a relatively neutral/attacking mentality from the players pumping the ball forward. Then again, I'm never too sure as to whether mentality, when it comes to passing, is more of a risk based concept. So players on lower mentalities will make a forward pass if the probability of success is relatively high, thus the risk of conceding possession is relatively low. i.e. the forward player is in a decent amount of space. So to encourage the fullback to pass to the wingers (AML, AMR) it's best to have the wingers holding their position between the opposition lines (FWR = rare) and the fullbacks on a more direct passing, so that the FB has the passing options available and a passing style which allows him to exploit them.

However, the confusion comes when I come across shouts called "get ball forward". This suggests, from a layman's perspective, that more direct passing encourages more long and forward passing. However, I suppose what it actually does in practice is get the ball forward more quickly due to the players higher up the pitch being within passing range of the players lower down the pitch. The way I try to imagine passing - this may be fundamentally flawed - is to imagine the pitch divided into 3: defensive third, midfield third and final third. The most direct passing (14 - 20 clicks) puts the final third within range of the defensive third, whereas short passing (1-6 clicks) restricts the range to players within the defensive third and players on the cusp of the defensive/midfield thirds (DMs). The same can be said for the Midfield third, on a low passing restricts them to passing to players directly in contact with their third - be it forward or back. Mentality then determines how many of these passes go forwards, sideways, etc.

The counter attack option being ticked seems to get the ball forward quickly and commit men forward with the team breaking from deep positions to attacking positions. As you say, this doesn't help if you're a weak team trying to bypass the midfield of a strong team without committing men forward on the break. I suppose the traditional method is to employ a big striker as a target man and have him hold it up/distribute it to the wingers and advancing central midfielder. However, I've always been a fan of a fullback spreading play to the opposite wing, thus exploiting an opposition team playing narrow. I don't think this is a possibility in FM.

This is why I like FM as a strategy game - so many dimensions :p The ambiguity of the game also makes it enjoyable because there are always colourful discussions within the tactics forum and a constant opportunity to learn something new.

The creator utilizes this in the latter fashion, though the term "longer" is mayhaps a bit misleading. It's nought to do with length directly. According to SFraser, the descriptions of the slider is unlucky. It shouldn't read short to long, but possession based passes vs (forward) attacking passes. Equally pretty much directly quoting wwfan: The more direct the setting, the more likely it is for a defender to play a direct ball out of defence, and the more likely a risky attacking ball is encouraged in the final third. That's how I've always utilized it, though I'm currently trying to completely abandon the habit of slider micromanagement. I don't obsess about this anymore, in particular as both interpretations don't suddenly lead to completely different play. Which brings me to another observation.

Anyway, I don't think it is really possible to frequently bypass the midfield like Egil Olsen's Norway side of the 90s unless your side is sitting deep and thus all passing options tend to be high up the pitch and are picked. (Popular anecdote has it that his sides did this so rigidly it lead to the spectators abandoning the main stands and crowding the places behind the goal). I don't know, but I think that certain sliders have become less sensitive over the years anyways. As I yesterday posted in another thread, if you start FM 2009 and put closing down to a minimum and sit back, players actually keep their defensive position without engaging any and let the opposition pass the ball around. In current iterations of the game, the ball carrier is always engaged in some way - if there is a player of yours near he will close the space to the ball carrier regardless of any instruction. This sometimes feels scripted and fixed regardless of your input, and was probably done to enable some stability (and avoid user frustration that possible illogical extreme settings would allow for). However, this likely has more to do with how a defensive mentality previously also made players tracking back far further, which made more defensive players of the opposition go by without pressure.

Through random stuffing around it seems like the Clear Ball To Flanks shout encourages my defensive players to hoof the ball long, but I don't know how to make my forwards get in position to receive the ball.

Archived