Do you stick with your Goalie?

Do you stick with your Goalie?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Do you stick with your Goalie?

• Yes, reward him for helping you get this far
    • No, it's time for him to take the bench and let an experienced keeper come in
    • Maybe, depends on the opposition.

So, picture this.

You're a massive side, E.G Liverpool. You sign a Young goalie at the beginning of the season. You think to yourself, for him to get experience I'll play him in the Cups.

So, in the early rounds the keeper is doing brilliantly against the likes of Crewe etc.

But you start getting towards the business end of the cup.

Do you stick with him?

So, picture this.

You're a massive side, E.G Liverpool.

Would change the team in your example as folk perusing your post will instantly think you are trolling:thup:

As for your question I would definately stick with the player who has played well in the previous rounds.

Would change the team in your example as folk perusing your post will instantly think you are trolling:thup:

As for your question I would definately stick with the player who has played well in the previous rounds.

5 European Cups, and 18 league titles is trolling?

I would also stick with him too

I stick with him. If he's been good enough to get us that far, he's good enough to carry on. The only problem is that if he does really well against the bigger sides, I start wanting to play him in the league games too, and I hate rotating goalkeepers within competitions.

Depends... if the cup fixture is a key one for my season, the youngsters will see it from the bench and share the higher bonus for winning the competition.

Little point in sticking with the experimental lineup if the reward is 90 minutes of humiliation

Depends. If the Capital One Cup is important to win then perhaps not. If it's the Europa League then probably no. But If I'm a big club and winning the competition is a lower priority, then stick with him. He does deserve the chance and if he's yer future no.1 then the big game experience is good for him.

But sentiment has no place in footy. Do what's best for the team.

You think your goalie will repay your faith in him when it comes down his contract renewal? I think not!

For me I play players that have what it takes, pay them the amount they deserve. Once their usefulness is up I dont even want to see them on my bench.

Since player development is at its best when the player performs well in competitive matches, I make sure that I field a competitive side against all opponents, also in unimportant cups. Not just because it increases the chance of winning, but also because winning and playing a good match increases development. If I sent a young team that overall had less quality than the opponent out in the pitch watching them fail, that is poor management. In this example, it is a young goalkeeper needing as much match experience as possible, so if he is good enough compared to the strikers he is going to face, then by all means play him. If he is not, it would be unfair towards him to throw him to the wolves. And unwise.

So the "if he is good enough, he is old enough" saying still holds. What the OP is suggesting amounts to roleplaying, though; the players aren't programmed to feel unfairly treated if they are dropped in the later stages of a cup.

I play reserves and youngsters in the League Cup & FA Cup, and in my opinion those cups are theirs to win or lose.

I stick with the same side (basically) right up to and including the final, if they get there...

I've had a team of 17 and 18yr olds win the treble of FA Cup, League Cup and Community shield. It's good for their morale :D

If I put a player in the team I'd do so with the intention of keeping him there unless they do poorly, get injured or suspended, especially for keepers which I wouldn't switch unless I had two similarly good keepers (though I still sub them), so if he was playing, he'd stay playing subject to events.

I have one keeper who I will play until he wants to leave.

I then have two very average keepers for backup.

I don't look for new keeper prospects until that first keeper is ready to move on.

I need to follow this. It's the only position I struggle with. I am a sucker for a 18 year old GK that looks the great prospect when my own more than good enough GK who is 28 and still has 6-7 years at top level is more than enough.

When my keeper hits 32 or 33 I start bringing in 15 and 16 year olds so they have a chance to develop a bit.I then choose the best prospect to promote and sell the others with high %s for the future.

When my keeper hits 32 or 33 I start bringing in 15 and 16 year olds so they have a chance to develop a bit.I then choose the best prospect to promote and sell the others with high %s for the future.

Yeah good shout and makes sense. Will have to ignore GKs until the one I have is past or approaching in next few years sell by date.

PLay him if he is good enough. The game doesn't seem to punish you for playing younger players. If they're good enough, play them. I also don't think your players have enough personality to get angered if you drop them for a cup run. I just don't think it's coded for them to realise they've taken you to a cup final then they've been dropped.

I only ever have one keeper seeing as they hardly ever get injured, then if need be i just play a youth keeper if he does get injured. Can't be bothered with reserve keepers taking up wages, and i never have a keeper on the bench because it feels a waste.

In CM 99/00 I started a Barcelona save. Sold all the dutch players, wanted to go with homegrown as a challenge. Put J.M Reina in my goal (around 17 years of age I think). Saw in the statistics screen that all players (even keepers) had App, Goals, Ass, Conceeded etc... So I put Reina on taking all my penalties, just to see how many goals he could score in one season. He ended up with around 750 Primera matches, around 300 goals and about the same conceeded..! Didn't even look for a new goalie in that save :) When he retired I think he was the player with most apperances for club and also most scored goals! Didn't continue the save after that's since both Reina and I was done :cool:

I had a young GK with a potential 4.5 stars and have a 27 yo 4 star goalie and i rotate between the two.

Even when he was a 1.5 star championship keeper he was performaning like a young champ and 4 years later he is turning into a world beater. Both keepers have each other as their favourite so they don`t seem to care too much about the rotation either.

No, I always have one top class experienced keeper for big games and a young gun for the other games but in my personal opinions keepers are never important to me because whether I have the best or the worst I really never notice a difference.

A first choice keeper is a first choice keeper. If you aren't playing him, you're wasting your money. My current first choice keeper cost me 50 million. He's missed only one match that I could find, out 64 played with 2 more to come, and every international for Argentina which I manage. The one match which was an EPL match after we'd won the title already and everyone needed a rest. I could have actually played him anyway, since keepers never tire.

Form is another thing entirely. I've subbed keepers off if they've screwed up repeatedly in a match, as well as dropping them for my young GK backups.

when I am managing at the top level, I usualy try and have 2 viable options in goal

My 1st choice plays league games and CL knockout and domestic cup finals

My 2nd choice plays both domestic cup rounds, CL group games, Community shields/eursosuupercups/clubworldcups/gets rotated in the league before CL knockouts/finals

at even slightly lower levels it isn't worth having 2 great GKs because there are not enough games to keep them both happy

Archived