Your most petty FM moment.

What has been your most petty response to a player messing up whilst you've been managing? I'm talking retraining your defender as a goalkeeper after he got sent off in a big match, or transfer listing Steven Fletcher after he missed two penalties then got red carded in the Tyne-Wear derby (Like I did).

I once resigned from the England job in protest to having to play the Champions League final 2 days after an FA cup final that went to penalties. I lost both matches and England won the next Euros, but I stand by my decision.

Does anybody have any similar stories?

What has the England job got to do with those 2 cups? You should have quit your club.

I used to do that sort of thing with players who had wronged me in some way, put them on intensive goalie training and relegate to reserves. Particularly players who decided to leave on a free.

Signed Balotelli on FM12 and he behaved himself for 2 full seasons but then started with the missing training, red cards galore and of course the back chat whenever I dared to fine him. Eventually lost my patience and chucked him in the u19 squad with no training at all except as a goalkeeper and left him there till his contract expired. By which time his attributes had declined so badly I think he only ever ended up getting picked up by some third tier Italian team where he squandered the rest of his playing career.

Man Utd were offloading players with big wages, so i made offers for two of them week and a half before the end of transfer window, and when they rejected other offers and chose mine, i delayed it untill end of window, so they stayed there... old, expensive, not even on the bench :D should i mention i dont like Utd? :p

What has the England job got to do with those 2 cups? You should have quit your club.

I used to do that sort of thing with players who had wronged me in some way, put them on intensive goalie training and relegate to reserves. Particularly players who decided to leave on a free.

It wasn't a rational decision, but at the time I believe my logic was that the FA scheduled the FA cup final on a really inconvenient date, so quitting the England job was some way of

getting back at them. It makes less and less sense the more I think about it.

Some great ideas here I might have to draw inspiration from.

All I ever do is ship out any chronic whingers no matter who they are. Also can't stand all this moaning from them requesting to leave, then stay, then leave again. I like the punishment idea but I begrudge paying them for anything.

It wasn't a rational decision, but at the time I believe my logic was that the FA scheduled the FA cup final on a really inconvenient date, so quitting the England job was some way of

getting back at them. It makes less and less sense the more I think about it.

That's quite funny still. Obviously not for you.

When I sacked my own faceinthegame player for a truly horrific performance.

Either that or when I got fed up of hearing about another team's player being unhappy and wanting to move to a bigger club.

Me, being a bigger club, signed him and left him to rot in my reserves.

Kenia a young Schalke prospect refused every loan/transfer I tried to send him on for 2 seasons and he was on big wages! so for the remaining two years of his contract he received no training whatsoever. He retired after being released at the age of 23. He has 25 caps for Georgia too and was their best player :) He was rated quite highly but just refused to further his development.

What has been your most petty response to a player messing up whilst you've been managing? I'm talking retraining your defender as a goalkeeper after he got sent off in a big match

Speaking of being petty, can one actually retrain one's outfield player as a goalkeeper? I think not. (not in recent editions anyway)

Back in Fm10 I had a truly world-class Serbian wonderkid full-back who wouldn't stop demanding a transfer, and I was desperate to keep him. Eventually it got to the stage where his contract was expiring and I was about to lose him on a free... then he broke his leg! Suddenly he wanted to sign a new contract and I ignored him and let him leave. Being out of a club with a broken leg pretty much destroyed his attributes and his career was never the same again.

He could have been world-class again if I kept him, but that's just not my style...

I curse in the media talks. Does that actually do anything?

I hate it btw when they keep asking: 'no really the fans demand an answer, no really the people want to know' really makes me rage especially when I am already mad for losing. God damn respectless press idiots :D when I dont want to answer I dont answer I dont want to repeat myself 3 times.

edit: i just noticed one. against annoying opponents (fe very defensive teams) when I score 1-0 its basically done cause they just keep defending. This pisses me off and I was just waving both my middle fingers at the screen in some kind of victory dance telling them to go f themselves.

I am 29.5 yo btw :p

A friend of mine (Spurs fan) had an irrational hatred for David Bentley, and on an earlier FM (I forget which) he splurged his entire transfer budget on him, about a year before he signed for Spurs IRL. He then put him in the U18s, took him off all training and fined him 2 weeks wages (for no reason) every 2 weeks for his entire 4 year contract. As it came to an end he offered him a new contract, which for some reason Bentley accepted, and then repeated the whole process until 8 years later Bentley retired having never played a game for Spurs and never having been paid a penny in wages. Made me laugh anyway.

I had a decent newgen come through who refused to be tutored by very well known professionals. I mean seriously you haven't left school yet, if I say you're doing something you damn well better do it!

So I renamed him "*****" and released him!

he got picked up by Charlton and is found quite well while I got sacked from Everton and am now on my 6th job in league 2.

showed him!

A friend of mine (Spurs fan) had an irrational hatred for David Bentley, and on an earlier FM (I forget which) he splurged his entire transfer budget on him, about a year before he signed for Spurs IRL. He then put him in the U18s, took him off all training and fined him 2 weeks wages (for no reason) every 2 weeks for his entire 4 year contract. As it came to an end he offered him a new contract, which for some reason Bentley accepted, and then repeated the whole process until 8 years later Bentley retired having never played a game for Spurs and never having been paid a penny in wages. Made me laugh anyway.

Winner. :lol::thup:

Signed Balotelli on FM12 and he behaved himself for 2 full seasons but then started with the missing training, red cards galore and of course the back chat whenever I dared to fine him. Eventually lost my patience and chucked him in the u19 squad with no training at all except as a goalkeeper and left him there till his contract expired. By which time his attributes had declined so badly I think he only ever ended up getting picked up by some third tier Italian team where he squandered the rest of his playing career.

Perfect, if only that would happen in real life

That is so funny. One of the funniest posts I have ever read on here :lol:

I had a mate who hated Cantona so, when playing CM93, would fine him the maximum of 4 weeks wages at every opportunity and never play him.

i pretty much only play in poland, and in FM12 within 3 or 4 seasons i had a 188 PA DM youth intake, i dont remember when but like 2-3-4 seasons later i had a 196 PA striker from my youth, both polish, ended up crushing everything

Not sure how this qualifies as petty.

If I've had a bad day, I load up FM and fire a few staff. They may be virtual, but the pain of a bad day needs to be shared somehow. The selection of which ones go is essentially random, and therefore unlucky for them. But that's good, I don't want unlucky people working for me.

My star Italian striker, aged 25, coming off a Golden Ball winning year and brilliant 2nd half to the previous EPL season, and after being a super consistent performer for his 5 years with me, played an absolute stinker of a game in the opening fixture of the following season, 4.5 rating, 20 shots, pretty much all from distance, and I think only one or two on target. We lost to Man U 2-1 at home, which we should have won (one of those all too regular cases of millions of shots to one on target things).

I was so incensed that I fined him the max, slammed him in a private chat, and sent him to the reserves until the 2nd half of the season. I felt so petty, but so good!

Also, similar story to others I guess, but my team was slowly rising through the English pyramid, League One, with a really top quality striker (for that division - probably good enough to sit on the bench for a lower half premier league side). Well on track for automatic promotion, with his contract expiring, I offer him a new one with more than double what he is earning. Unfortunately, his agent hates me because he represented another player on my list who I wouldn't budge on, so he rejects any offer I make out of hand.

Come the end of the season he leaves on a free, I get promoted, and he signs for a Championship side that has just been relegated down for less than what I was originally paying him. I go on to the Premier League with all his ex-team mates and he rots in League 1 the rest of his career, and all I could think was: "serves you right for not firing your swear-word agent".

I know they're just 1s and 0s, but I can't help it...

If I've had a bad day, I load up FM and fire a few staff. They may be virtual, but the pain of a bad day needs to be shared somehow. The selection of which ones go is essentially random, and therefore unlucky for them. But that's good, I don't want unlucky people working for me.

That's brilliant. :lol: Actually really did make me 'lol'.

I've changed players names to something insulting, released them straight after a bad performance, put them on maximum workload training, and plenty more.

Probably my favourite is arranging a friendly straight after a bad performance on the other wide of the world, and making the players who just played play this game in Siberia/North Korea or wherever I arrange it a day or two later as punishment.

Probably when I refused to pay one of my players more than 90k per week... I stuck to my principle and sold him and proceed to spent 45mm to buy another player of the same caliber so I can have him on the payroll for less than 90k :p

As Swansea manager a few years ago in the Championship (having been promoted from League 1) Lee Trundle spat the dummy out because I wouldn't allow him to talk to Preston, who had just been promoted to the Premier League but were struggling. He was by quite some distance the best striker in my squad and a major fan's favourite, but I dumped him in the reserves, stopped his training and 6 months later he left us out of contract. Despite his falling stats, Preston still signed him that summer for their second season in the EPL. My team won the Championship at the second time of asking, they got relegated and we put them out of the FA Cup too. For me, it was a moment of bliss to see Mr Trundle (and them) crash and burn as we succeeded! :-)

This is from a thread I started back in 2008, took a bit of finding:

After my Harrogate team failed to get me into the League 2 playoffs I basically let rip. I completely lost it, told them I was disgusted with their last 2 performances and put 9 of the starting 11 up for sale.

That'll teach them (I thought). Well it's all gone horribly wrong. After complaining about the ref (again) I got a warning from my chairman for bringing the club into a bad light with the FA. He's now accepting crappy offers for my players, they're all unhappy and running off to pastures new.

What was looking like a great season has now turned into a complete disaster. 3 years of nurturing players has gone down the drain.

Well sc**w the lot of them, they were all a bunch of losers anyway, I don't need them!!

Time my 2 scouts earned their money and found me some hot new talent. Yeah right.

Anyone looking for a hot headed manager with the tactical ability to destroy a club in 1 week?

The classic when selling a player I don't like or have fallen out with in game, shove 'em in U19 squad and give them no training in some attempt at hampering their form for their club. Done it throughout the CM/FM series. 'That'll teach him to think my fine is unfair! - muwhahaha!' :p:D

Was playing as Aston Villa a few versions ago and Stefan Moore wanted to move to Chelsea but with my strike force being him and Luke I wasn't wanting to sell, in the end I got annoyed fined him 2 weeks wages and put him in the reserves the next 3 years Luke was the main striker for England and top goal scorer at Villa ever while Stefan was released and playing at Solihull in the Conference North.

Archived