Solution for sistem restart/shut down when playing Football Manager 2013

Played FM smoothly till a week ago(beside the crash dump error in July) and all of a sudden my laptop shuts down. I begun searching for a solution for this problem, updated my bios, drivers, reinstalled windows, you name it, nothing worked. After searching on forums I think I found the cause for this problem. Nope, it's not because you laptop is crap(played 2 months before without a problem), it's something more "dirty". When using a laptop in bed, on your lap, etc, tiny bits of dust, hair, mostly dust, deposits on you cooler, when this happens it doesn't work properly and your system overheats causing the shut down. One solution(a bit radical one) is to open your laptop and clean the cooler yourself. Another one is purchase a can of compressed air and spray it into the vents in quick, short bursts, without opening your laptop. After you clean the cooler, buy a notebook cooling stand(5$) and put it under your laptop, this way your core temperature will be controlled and you will be able to play FM till you bleed(or you crash dump):)

Played FM smoothly till a week ago(beside the crash dump error in July) and all of a sudden my laptop shuts down. I begun searching for a solution for this problem, updated my bios, drivers, reinstalled windows, you name it, nothing worked. After searching on forums I think I found the cause for this problem. Nope, it's not because you laptop is crap(played 2 months before without a problem), it's something more "dirty". When using a laptop in bed, on your lap, etc, tiny bits of dust, hair, mostly dust, deposits on you cooler, when this happens it doesn't work properly and your system overheats causing the shut down. One solution(a bit radical one) is to open your laptop and clean the cooler yourself. Another one is purchase a can of compressed air and spray it into the vents in quick, short bursts, without opening your laptop. After you clean the cooler, buy a notebook cooling stand(5$) and put it under your laptop, this way your core temperature will be controlled and you will be able to play FM till you bleed(or you crash dump):)

Mm.

Sorry, but if your laptop suddendly shuts down because of high core temperature, I can't see how this is related to Football Manager 2013.

For sure it's related to every program requesting high resources from your machine. The more a processor works, the fast it overheats. Also this is a problem of yours because was your machine to have a problem. And not every shut downs are related to dust/dirtyness into the machine.

I personally appreciate your willingness for helping others, but this thread is a bit pointless.

Mm.

Sorry, but if your laptop suddendly shuts down because of high core temperature, I can't see how this is related to Football Manager 2013.

For sure it's related to every program requesting high resources from your machine. The more a processor works, the fast it overheats. Also this is a problem of yours because was your machine to have a problem. And not every shut downs are related to dust/dirtyness into the machine.

I personally appreciate your willingness for helping others, but this thread is a bit pointless.

He is simply offering a solution to anyone else plagued by overheating issues on their notebooks.

The problem with notebooks is manufacturers and consumers want them as small and light as possible, so there are few cooling options out there on the base models. It will most certainly overheat if you use it on a surface that does not quickly dissipate heat (ie your lap, bed, lounge/sofa) so you need to ensure you are either using a cooling pad or keeping the notebook high enough to allow the heat to escape the base and adequate airflow into the rear vents.

He is simply offering a solution to anyone else plagued by overheating issues on their notebooks.

The problem with notebooks is manufacturers and consumers want them as small and light as possible, so there are few cooling options out there on the base models. It will most certainly overheat if you use it on a surface that does not quickly dissipate heat (ie your lap, bed, lounge/sofa) so you need to ensure you are either using a cooling pad or keeping the notebook high enough to allow the heat to escape the base and adequate airflow into the rear vents.

Or a book. Or a piece of wood. Why complicate things ?

Archived