noikeee

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March-May 2024

100px-SCB-Logo.png

Transfers

Signed a youngster on a free:

Rune Solstrand (AML / ML) - Promising Norwegian winger, not sure why he's valued at 2M€ because he's not THAT good.

Fixtures

SCBastiaFixtures_Fixtures-3.jpg

Our performance in the final months of the league season was marred by annoying inconsistency - we started off with a pretty bad 3-0 defeat at Bordeaux, but bounced back with a 3-0 win ourselves over Caen only to get 2 lame 1-1 draws in winnable ties vs Paris FC and Nice. Out of the blue we had a stellar result next - 2-0 away win at Monaco, and despite losing next to Marseille at home (2-3) we put up a nice fight.

At this stage I was getting increasingly annoyed at the lack of performance from my forward Geoffrey Lemaitre, and faced with the dillemma of having to choose between 2 overperforming AMCs: Hudson and Tommaso Palumbo. I decided to go radical and drop our forward for fielding both AMC instead - a strikerless 4-6-0 formation! It worked remarkably well as we beat Sochaux 2-0 with a Hudson brace, and he would follow that up with several goals, but our form fizzled out. 1-1 draw at Lyon was excellent but we wouldn't win again. We lost at home to Nancy (embarassing), tied away at Lorient (nice), lost at home by a single goal to eventual champions PSG (good effort) and ended the season drawing again at Le Havre (passable). Despite most of these results being actually positive, as they were either vs top sides or away, we just kept on losing league positions and ended on a decent-but-hardly-heroic 12th.

The feeling of disappointment was heightened by what happened in the cup. We had a golden chance of making the semis by playing a quarter-final at home vs Ligue 2 side Tours (who eventually got promoted and will be regular opponents next season in Ligue 1), but we cocked up conceding an early goal, still equalized, only to concede again in extra-time and be knocked out. Oops.

Player on focus

Hudson (AMC / MC) - Utterly crazy goal-scoring season finale for the teenage Brazilian who ends up as top goalscorer of my side (16 goals, + 7 assists), despite the fact he is a midfielder and only started about half of this season's matches! Given that the 4-6-0 ultimately was a bit of a failed experiment, I really don't know what to do with him - probably drop Palumbo to make way for him? What an odd problem.

Competitions

Ligue 1:

Ligue1OrangeOverview_Stages-3.jpg

Coupe de la Ligue: defeated by Rennes 0-3 in the 3rd round, earlier in the season.

Coupe de France: defeated by Ligue 2 side Tours at home 1-2 after extra time, in the quarter-finals.

Summary

I would've liked to improve on last season's standings over the previous manager, but no Bastia comes 12th again. This is just about acceptable, as at the start of the season I was very vocal on how inadequate my squad is, we ultimately came miles away from the threat of relegation, but it wasn't hugely exciting neither. The brief experiment with 4-6-0 made it fun for a little while, yet overall this was by a very long distance the most boring season of my career.

I'll keep this thread open in case I attempt season 2 at Bastia, but am now leaning towards killing this career, and attempting FM13 again, or having a break from FM.

Season review 2022/2023

100px-SCB-Logo.png

Tactics and usual starting eleven

SCBastiaTactics_TeamInstructions-2.jpg

This was a season of experimenting: beyond the plan A pictured, I had an alternative formation with a MC instead of a AMC and Counter strategy; as well as a 4-6-0 with a second AM(A) instead of a complete forward. But this was my main formation - a return to the 4-2-3-1 direct football days of Sweden, the football I used to play a long time ago, completely different from the possession football of the Argentina years.

Beyond the settings on the screenie, I had the two defensive wingers tight-marking the opposition fullbacks, the forward doing some zonal marking, and the shouts of: Drop Deeper, Pass Into Space, Work Ball Into Box, Look For Overlap and Exploit The Flanks.

Squad

SCBastiaSquad_Players-3.jpg

SCBastiaSquad_Players-2-2.jpg

Top 5 key players of the season

5. Geoffrey Lemaitre (ST) - Despite the several stints of the season he was injured which didn't help his numbers, I cannot help but be greatly disappointed with the fact he could only score 11 goals and just about missed out on an average rating in the 7.xx range. Still our better forward by a distance, which is worrying.

4. Serge Bamba (AMR, AML, MC) - The fact he takes the corners helps his assists numbers greatly, but I am still very much happy with his total of 16 assists. Valuable player who can play in either wing.

3. Oliver Toukam (DC) - Our top defensive player by quite some margin, despite the fact that I was disappointed with his attacking outcome as such a tall centre-back should've scored more than 3 goals.

2. Tommaso Palumbo (AMC) - The Italian midfielder had quite an eye for a goal (12 goals - 1 more than our leading forward Lemaitre), and had stretches of the season when he was utterly unplayable, but by the end of the year lost his starting place to Hudson.

1. Hudson (AMC / MC) - Seems utterly bizarre that my player of the season wouldn't make the top 11 starters, but all things summed Hudson just about was more important than Palumbo, despite playing less games than Palumbo. Top scorer on 16 goals - totally freakish for a player that played half of our matches and was not a forward. Fantastic debut season in Europe for the teenage Brazilian, who was by a massive distance my better signing.

Career overview

[b]Season   League                  Cups                     International               Notes[/b]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Torns IF (Sweden)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012     Div.2 Södra Göt. - 1st  n/a                      n/a                         Champions, promoted
2013     Div.1 Södra - 11th      Svenska Cupen 2nd rnd    n/a                         Avoided relegation
2014     Div.1 Södra - 1st       Svenska Cupen 1st rnd    n/a                         Champions, promoted
2015     Superettan - 3rd        Svenska Cupen 1st rnd    n/a                         Lost in promotion playoff
2016     Superettan - 1st        Svenska Cupen 3rd rnd    n/a                         Champions, promoted
2017     Allsvenskan - 13th      Svenska Cupen 1/4 final  n/a                         Avoided relegation
Independiente Rivadavia (Argentina)
2017/18  Nacional B - 11th       Copa Argentina 6th rnd   n/a                         Joined in November
2018/19  Nacional B - 1st        Copa Argentina 5th rnd   n/a                         Champions, promoted
2019/20  Primera - 5th / 14th    Copa Argentina 6th rnd   n/a                         Just missed out on continental football
2020/21  Primera - 3rd / 7th     Copa Argentina 5th rnd   Libertadores 1/2 final      Apertura+Libertadores challenges
2021/22  Primera - 5th / 1st     Copa Argentina 1/2final  Sud. winners, Lib. winners  Clausura, Sudam., Libertadores champions
2022/23  Primera - 1st / 3rd     Copa Argentina winners   Sud. winners, Lib. final,   World champions, total of 5 trophies
                                                         Recopa winners, CWC winners 
SC Bastia (France)
2023/24  Ligue 1 - 12th          Cp Fr. 1/4f, LgCp 3rd r. n/a                         Mediocre midtable

Solid season, hopefully you can build upon it next year :thup:

Am afraid there won't be a "next year" - stay tuned in this forum. ;)

Spot the Frenchman. :D

There's not exactly a lot of them! To be fair the French league is a bit more the Africa league - we don't look out of place in the competition at all.

There's not exactly a lot of them! To be fair the French league is a bit more the Africa league - we don't look out of place in the competition at all.

I would say appoint Arsene Wenger as your Director of Football, but it seems you're starting up elsewhere now.

I would say appoint Arsene Wenger as your Director of Football, but it seems you're starting up elsewhere now.

Arsene would be 74 years old in this game. I'm sure he'd love to spend his time stalking teenage French footballers and sipping drinks sea-side in the lovely coast of Corsica, but it's not on my plans - Chile it is.

Very enjoyable write-ups, noikeee. I particularly like your focus on players, a very effective way of making the little tinkers seem like actual human beings.

Thanks. It's funny I focus so much on giving players a character, yet am also usually pretty ruthless with them, I will happily let go players that aren't good enough anymore even if they have history for me. I often read here of people that keep players for sentimental reasons, that's a competitive advantage thrown away spent in wages, that pisses me off. :mad:

Archived