Commentary Only Vs 3D Matches

Through previous iterations of the game i've always preferred to play with Commentary Only. It speeds up the game and gets me through seasons much faster and lets me do the things i enjoy the most, namely get past the times of players we know into total squads of newgens and to develop youth players.

So i tried to play this way as soon as i got FM13, and had really poor seasons, restarting careers on numerous occasions because i was unable to get any consistency with either my Kendal or Leeds teams. After trying numerous tactics of other people i got pretty frustrated as they always seemed to have this same problem, so i jumped back to FM12 to play my old save for a bit.

Now, after starting up FM13 again, i started up another Leeds game (in fact, i have the initial save as a start point after the leagues have been loaded with the database how i like), and i made the same three signings to accommodate my preferred formation. I don't use shouts as my two preferred formations are Classic (i created both in FM11 and they served me well in FM12 too).

So i'm currently 15 games into the first season and i remain undefeated in the league (8 wins 7 draws) whereas previously i was having trouble getting away with draws in a lot of games, and the only thing i am doing differently is watching the key highlights in the 3D match engine..

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Personally i could never play commentary only. I like 2d because you can see what's going on and why your tactic might not be working against a team or to exploit any weaknesses you may spot in the oppositions team. I have found that watching the game does help improve tactics and spot weaknesses and strengths, i don't think you can do that as effectively on commentary only. Maybe at the start of each season you should try watching a few matches in 2d which may help you spot why your team is struggling

One of these mini-conspiracy theory threads always pops up now and then!

The fact is that the ME is the ME, whether you watch commentary only or the full match.

If you play the same game again and again, you will get different results because the result isn't predetermined, it can change at every single decision making point for every single player on the pitch.

Conspiracy theory? No.

I don't care if that's how it works or not, i was posting about something i noticed and wondering if anyone had similar experiences.

No wonder people think this is the least helpful FM board. :/

(And incidentally, you don't know for a fact that "the ME is the ME" because you had no hand in creating it. Not that i'm saying that isn't the case.)

Archived