From Scrap Heap to Stardom

Have any of you signed a player who has been released by a lower club because they have simply not made it and turned them into a star at an higher level.

In my Rotherham save, Nahki Wells was released by Bradford City (His stats on FM are not great for the player he already is in real life)

I took a chance on him in league one because of his acceleration and in league one he has blasted 15 goals for me so far and averages 8 ratings.

He had been on free list for 6 month.

Was wondering what other players and experiences people on here have had with washed up players.

EDIT: Also applys to buying players who are rotting at a club

umpf i remember on FM11 i bought a newgen player for 60k from a club that got relegated to Belgiums third division, & he became my best right winger in first division. He wasn't transfer listed though, so it doesn't apply 100% to your question. Still, that was 1 player that emerged from obscurity right into the spotlight. Funnily, i still remember his name to this day. Also had 1 player that i bought for 100k from a club in nigeria & who became african player of the year. Signings like that are the reason i play the game :)

Although not quite what you were after but one that springs to mind is was a young midfielder from South Africa when I was at Lazio in FM11. Due to the foreigner rule I couldn't sign him when I wanted and he moved to a MLS club for around £100k.

After a good season I signed him for £2.5m and he turned into a huge star. The year after I left Lazio he moved to Man Utd for £50m at around 25yo and was the club captain when I took over at Man Utd 7 years later. He retired a few years later with over 150 caps for South Africa.

Have any of you signed a player who has been released by a lower club because they have simply not made it and turned them into a star at an higher level.

In my Rotherham save, Nahki Wells was released by Bradford City (His stats on FM are not great for the player he already is in real life)

I took a chance on him in league one because of his acceleration and in league one he has blasted 15 goals for me so far and averages 8 ratings.

He had been on free list for 6 month.

Was wondering what other players and experiences people on here have had with washed up players.

EDIT: Also applys to buying players who are rotting at a club

Did it have anything to do with the recent Bradford v Villa match? If you can find it on Radio 5 Live website, that match really is SO uplifting to listen to and it makes you so happy for Bradford to beat Aston Villa. Nahki Wells put in a fantastic performance.

In this current FM13 I find that alot of players become available on free transfers who have massive potential and I have been able to turn them into very good players.

Alot of the players I have aquired seem to be german though and released by the likes of Bayern Munich etc.

A left winger I got on a free in my championship season before getting promoted. I had him for 1 season, before Leicester came knocking and bought him for 8.5m which chairman accepted due to being a massive offer.

Others ive had, my curren left back I aquired on a free and he has since went on to get 2 caps for Germany.

My Right winger again on a free is one of the best players at the club at present, and has also been called up for Germany although never had a cap as of yet.

Ive had alot of germans and various other nationalities who had became decent, but sold on for profit.

I do find FM13 is brilliant for the free transfer youngster market.

Did it have anything to do with the recent Bradford v Villa match? If you can find it on Radio 5 Live website, that match really is SO uplifting to listen to and it makes you so happy for Bradford to beat Aston Villa. Nahki Wells put in a fantastic performance.

No mate its the fact I watch him home and away week in week out and for somereason he has really poor stats on fm.

In this current FM13 I find that alot of players become available on free transfers who have massive potential and I have been able to turn them into very good players.

I do find FM13 is brilliant for the free transfer youngster market.

I agree, but it was true in FM12 as well, and it severely hampers the enjoyment of the game for me, much more than any tiny little niggles in the ME.

Edit - Domus, this is for FMGD, there is a football section if you want to talk about the world outside.

Is Matt Duke your first choice keeper?

He came in last season kept letting in stupid long rangers so we sent him on loan to Northampton, Thanks to Crawleygate where our regular number 1 was banned for 5 games he managed to get back in.

This season both our Keepers have played the similair amount of games with Duke retaining his place recently. One thing is his coming for crosses is poor but he is pretty solid :)

Archived