Fmh for iPad

Completely understand that the processing power / memory of an iPod / iPhone is limited at best. Exactly how much difference does an iPad make in comparison to a pc?

I am sure si has put plenty of hours in researching this but I have not played fm for about 7/8 years. Would an iPad be able to handle maybe an intermediate version of the game?

If so is there any debate appetite to explore this?

• SI Staff

The problem isn't just 'memory' - at present the top of the range mobile devices are around 1/20th the power of a low/mid-spec PC today; as such at present there is unlikely to be a 'full fat' FM version on one any time soon (if thats what you're wondering).

There isn't much difference in raw processing performance between most iPads and the latest mobile phones btw - however iPad will generally 'render' more slowly because of the higher number of pixels being shifted on them in comparison to most phones.

So just to clarify, in generic terms ... is an iPad more powerful than a pc from 6/7 years ago. Lets say a 1500mhz single core processor. I thought it would be?

I am just asking because fmh is certainly less functional than fm from 6/7 years ago, and I did not expect that.

Marc, really appreciate you answering, I guess I am asking two questions.

1) could an iPad deal with a more detailed game? (Not necessarily full fat)

2) if so, is there any appetite within si to make it?

Initially it looks like the answer to both is probably no. I guess I was sure the answer to 1) would be yes, but you guys are the experts.

• SI Staff
1) could an iPad deal with a more detailed game? (Not necessarily full fat)

Thats quite a 'vague' question - the iPad1, no it struggles with the game at times as it is ... the newest ones yes to some extent (and I'm sure as time goes on and older devices go obsolete and newer ones come in the game will continue to evolve and improve - remember the first FMH had no 2d at all)..

We're always looking to improve and evolve our games in answer to your second question - but this takes time and we need a market for products large enough to sustain their development (and with a lower sales price than our PC/Mac titles obviously FMH doesn't make as much profit for SEGA per unit), so selling to just the 'latest and greatest' device with an application (especially a 'niche' product like a football management sim) would be foolhardy imho.

PS - Finally I don't ever want FMH to become 'FM PC/Mac' - its imperative to keep it faster to play and lighter in terms of detail (ie. less micro-management) because of the devices its played upon and also the input mediums involved (ie. touch inputs require large items to click upon easily, thus crowded FMesque screens are a no no).

Ok, reading between the lines. Current strategy for fmh is, an app which works across the whole tablet/phone market.

Fwiw I think a version specific for higher end tablets (if they can't handle the whole game), could easily command a higher fee. I am just one consumer, but I would pay more definitely. It just looks too simple for an iPad. As I said, if my memory serves me correct it is basically less than the first ever fm on the pc 7/8 years ago.

FYI, this the first time I have played fm for 5/6 years let alone fmh.

Archived