Paolo Di Canio

Firstly I would be surprised if it did actually happen without fail.

I would however say it can be considered a good thing if the game makes relatively similar decisions, it means that the logic behind the decision is (without commenting on the 'realisticness of the moves due to my non-perfect knowledge of relative status of clubs in England) consistent, and that the game has a logic for appointments it follows each time, rather than it just being a random calculation.

Again, I am not making any comment on the moves themselves, and indeed I have been unhappy with some SPL appointments

why would Di Canio not take up a higher reputation role?.

I think you phrasing the question in such a way is what's wrong with your approach to my statement.

As far as I know this game has a number of variables that dictate player decisions when leaving a club - one of them I think being their favoured clubs and loyalty to that club (for example players like Wilshere not being interested in moves to teams like Man United or Chelsea).

Why can't loyalty variables apply in managerial positions as well?

I'm sorry but you can't say Paolo Di Canio moving to Millwall in 2013, based on his history and loyalty to West Ham - is a realistic move based on "higher" reputation alone (and Millwall's reputation is HALF a star higher than Swindon's).

I doubt the Millwall fans would be too happy with the appointment of Di Canio. Not that we haven't seen plenty of clubs going against the fans when appointing managers over recent years.

It certainly isn't an impossible situation, but perhaps not one you'd expect to see happening regularly.

I can see why people would deem it unrealistic. He is massively loved by West Ham and I'm pretty sure he loves West Ham too.

Taking control of their major rivals would be like kicking every West Ham fan in the face...

Then again, Rafa went to Chelsea...

I can see why people would deem it unrealistic. He is massively loved by West Ham and I'm pretty sure he loves West Ham too.

Taking control of their major rivals would be like kicking every West Ham fan in the face...

Then again, Rafa went to Chelsea...

And Harry left Pompey to join Southampton, and then went back again.

'Loyalty' in managers is a little overrated.

My problem is not one of "realism" - I think with the randomness and with the constant unexpected surprises football provides for us, I don't think this is something that can ever really be labeled on FM.

My problem is that far too often certain things happen pretty much every game. It's not unrealistic, but it just vastly reduces the randomness and replayability of the game.

For example signings: I'm pretty sure every game I've started on FM13, (and I've started a LOT of them!) Man City sign Kaka and Chelsea sign Jovetic among others. These aren't unrealistic signings, but they happen every time. This wouldn't be so bad if it had happened in real life. I know it's not this way, but it often feels like some future signings have been pre-programmed into the game.

I always remember on FM12, Arsenal would ALWAYS buy Walter Montillo - whereas in "real-life" I'm pretty sure they never went near him.

I think we'd all agree that one of the great things about FM is it's unpredictability and randomness and therefore it's replayability. For me this "issue" really detracts from that.

For example signings: I'm pretty sure every game I've started on FM13, (and I've started a LOT of them!) Man City sign Kaka and Chelsea sign Jovetic among others. These aren't unrealistic signings, but they happen every time. This wouldn't be so bad if it had happened in real life. I know it's not this way, but it often feels like some future signings have been pre-programmed into the game.

I know you only say you feel like they are pre-programmed, but I am sure they are not.

I see it as the game mechanics seeing a club calculate it needs a player, evlauating what type of player they need, and then going out and getting him. If they get the same player every time, then although I completely understand you that it does reduce from some kind of excitement of the unpredictability of the game, for me it shows that the game follows a logical process when making transfers of that type, rather than Man City doing something like "Buy random player with value > £20 million" or something.

That said, something is in my opinion wrong with the manner in which AI clubs sometimes buy players and never ever ever use them, but I think this is more due to poor squad rotation than poor signings, and is a discussion to be had elsewhere.

My problem is not one of "realism" - I think with the randomness and with the constant unexpected surprises football provides for us, I don't think this is something that can ever really be labeled on FM.

My problem is that far too often certain things happen pretty much every game. It's not unrealistic, but it just vastly reduces the randomness and replayability of the game.

I always remember on FM12, Arsenal would ALWAYS buy Walter Montillo - whereas in "real-life" I'm pretty sure they never went near him.

I think we'd all agree that one of the great things about FM is it's unpredictability and randomness and therefore it's replayability. For me this "issue" really detracts from that.

The problem is that in the first transfer period 99% off the variables are the same for everyone. Unless you randomly give every club new players and a new manager those variables will always be the same. Therefore the decision made based on these variables will be similar quite often at the start. As stated before, it'd be rather problematic if with 99% off the variables being equal the game goes in a completely different way since it means that the game relies an random selection far to much.

Archived