Mike Bassett - Someone help me perfect my 442 with Bradford

Alright everybody,

Looking for some support/tips for my Bradford 4-4-2.

I started in horrendous fashion but have since went on a decent run but I need help against 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 formations as I tend to struggle due to midfield numbers. Now I know that this is obvious but I just can't find solutions.

My biggest problems are a lack of creativity, and my midfield being over run. However as soon as I go one up top I am advised to push more forward. I really want to persevere with a hardworking, pressing 4-4-2 as this is my teams only real power.

Any help, particularly with the roles of my two CF and CMs would be brilliant.

Cheers Lads

G

BradfordCity_TacticsOverview_zpse62e7f44.png

BradfordCity_TacticsTeam_zps1c9a2f89.png

BradfordCity_ReportComparison_zps19428818.png

BradfordvOxford_AnalysisFormations_zps482c84df.png

BradfordvOxford_AnalysisPerformance_zps97ef8ef2.png

BradfordvOxford_AnalysisPerformance-2_zps81be7ce3.png

While I am by no means one of the better tacticians here, I did notice one reason why you might struggle against teams with midfield number advantages. One of your CMs is a BWM, and while against 2 midfield setups this would be probably okay, the BWM will go chasing after the man with the ball and get dragged out of position, sometimes a good ways. Add to that the hard tackling setting that comes with the role and he will often be far afield. If the BWM doesn't get the ball back, your opponent, who outnumbers you in the midfield anyway, will now only have a single CM to deal with in the center of the park when they are coming forward. Your other CM is DLP so he is sitting deeper, and there is a lot of exploitable space.

Agree with Dr.Hook.

I would place them both as CM one on defend dutys with low mentility and the other on attacking dutys with a higher mentility. They then should hold the postions in midfield and not get pulled about. Read the 12 step guide sticked in this forum.

Im not sure if DLF and a TM work together that well either, Keep your DLF and the other as a attacking forward or poacher. The DLF is a more modern version of a TM i think.. You dont need both of your defenders to be on LD. Your team are sitting back to much .

Post a half team heat map, before you make any subs. i can take alook at your avg positioning then.

IRL there are several ways to approach a midfield trio with the 4-4-2: 1. Surrender the midfield. Your midfield duo stays back and shields the defence. Usually in a counter attacking tactic. 2. One of the forwards drops deep and presses the DMC, basically turning your midfield duo into a trio. 3. Play very narrow, crowding the centre midfield with your wide players.

In game terms, since you want to stick to pressing, perhaps you could man mark the DMC with your DLF or play narrower and give your wingers a more defensive mentality.

I play a three man midfield in lower leagues and have quite a lot of trouble against opposing AI 4-4-2s actually. I've noticed they play very high pressing against me and really put pressure on my back 4 and DM. When in possession the most striking thing is that their CMs hardly make any passes in their own half. What seems to happen is the GK always kicks it long to a striker or winger and then they build from there if they win the ball otherwise they go back to pressing. They also almost exclusively just get the ball out wide and fire in loads of crosses. It's not pretty, it concedes a lot of possession but it gets results in the lower leagues. They seem to generally play with an AF and a DLF as far as I can tell as they have one striker that drops deeper in possession but stays central and one that pushes up and stretches the play, presumably to buy space for wingers and a target man. I think high pressing and very quick, direct football is the way to recreate this if you were of a mind to.

Okay thanks. I will try the two CMs then and see if it helps. I tend to play with defensive wingers and had been telling them to come inside to try and encourage the overlap but that just seems to congest the middle of the park. I think I will reset them to wide play/hug touchline and see if I can create more space for CCC's but this might undermine my attempts to combat a midfield three?

I will post more images in particular half time heat map as well then. Whilst I have some interest, does anyone have a particular preference for player roles/duties when playing with two strikers?

Cheers,

G

Nice to see someone else in year one of a Bradford save.

One thing that sticks out to me is your partnership between Derbyshire and Doyle. Probably your best two players ( if not in all League 2) are the two players furthest away from each other. Doyle ( who has short passing PPM so probably not cut out for a DLP role anyway) should be pushing foward ( CM-S) in support of Derbeyshire. As you have it now, you have Jones making the runs from midfield on the same side of the pitch where your striker is coming deep to collect the ball which probably is not the best thing. So make Jones role a CM-D to hold for Doyle going forward. Jones has get forward PPM so a new player might be needed. Also, your playing a short passing game with a targetman leading the line, not the best combo probably. Bradford have decent enough passing where you can move it up to default or even direct where a targetman might be more beneficial.

Brilliant, thanks Owen. I am really getting into a save for the first time and I will try and keep it going!

Nice to see someone else in year one of a Bradford save.

One thing that sticks out to me is your partnership between Derbyshire and Doyle. Probably your best two players ( if not in all League 2) are the two players furthest away from each other. Doyle ( who has short passing PPM so probably not cut out for a DLP role anyway) should be pushing foward ( CM-S) in support of Derbeyshire. As you have it now, you have Jones making the runs from midfield on the same side of the pitch where your striker is coming deep to collect the ball which probably is not the best thing. So make Jones role a CM-D to hold for Doyle going forward. Jones has get forward PPM so a new player might be needed. Also, your playing a short passing game with a targetman leading the line, not the best combo probably. Bradford have decent enough passing where you can move it up to default or even direct where a targetman might be more beneficial.

graememaxwell87

Looking at some of the player roles you have selected you might like to give a tactic I have 'perfected' from FM2012. This tactic does great against other 4-4-2s as it gets the DLP and DLF playing between the opposition's lines/strata. I won't give a detailed explanation here, all I would advise is to read the player role descriptions in the game and you will understand how each of these roles compliment each other, as does the strategy, as does the philosophy/mentality structure.

Formation: 4-4-2

Philosophy: Balanced

Strategy: Control

Passing Style: More Direct

Creative Freedom: Default

Closing Down: Press More

Tacling: Default

Marking: Zonal

Crossing: Default

Roaming: Default

GK - Goalkeeper (Defend)

DR - Full Back (Automatic)

DCR - Central Defender (Cover)

DCL - Central Defender (Stopper)

DL - Full Back (Automatic)

MR - Winger (Attack)

MCR - Deep Lying Playmaker (Support)

MCL - Ball Winning Midfielder (Defend)

ML - Winger (Attack)

STR - Deep Lying Forward (Support)

STL - Poacher (Attack)

Below is the tactic I play against an opposing 4-5-1 (4-1-2-2-1) formation. Again, if you read the in-game descriptions then you will understand the player role choices.

This set-up is about simplicity. The Standard strategy is selected to bring the most out of the Box To Box Midfielder and essentially balance his attack and defensive contribution. Closing Down is also set to Default to balance the contributions from the Wide Midfielders to the defence, midfield and attack as the role description states. The Default passing choice is also selected based on the the use of Wide Midfielders, their wide play is 'Normal' in the game so I didn't want to increase my team's width by choosing More Direct passing (as per my previous post when using Wingers) or reduce it by choosing Shorter and create inconsistency.

Formation: 4-4-2

Philosophy: Balanced

Strategy: Standard

Passing Style: Default

Closing Down: Default

GK - Goalkeeper (Defend) ......... I'm also thinking to try a Sweeper Keeper (Support) to mop up behind the two flat DCs.

DCR - Central Defender (Defend)

DCL - Central Defender (Defend)

DL - Full Back (Automatic)

MR - Wide Midfielder (Attack)

MCR - Box To Box Midfielder (Support)

MCL - Central Midfielder (Defend)

ML - Wide Midfielder (Attack)

STR - Defensive Forward (Support) ......... set to specifically mark the opposition DMC via player instructions

STL - Advanced Forward (Attack)

Against that Oxford 4-4-1-1 or any other formation using an AMC I would play the following. This is a still a bit developmental but has been conceived using the same principles as my previous two tactic offerings, which are proven.

Formation: 4-5-1

Philosophy: Rigid

Strategy: Counter

Passing Style: Shorter

Closing Down: Stand Off More

GK - Sweeper Keeper (Defend)