Off the wood work?

On the latest 13.2.2.

Not sure if others have the same problem with me. My players seem to love the wood work more than the goal itself. Like they won't be able to sleep at night if they didn't. They hit the bars at least 2-3 times a match. Every single match. Why does this ancient bug still persist in 13.2.2? I thought people solved it back in FM10.

• SI Staff

In our internal tests ( Season 2012/13 with a bunch of leagues in full detail and no human managers ) we are seeing an average of about 1.1 woodwork hit per match, or 0.55 per team. We do actually think this is perhaps a bit high but reducing it seems to be rather elusive and in honesty its not high enough to be a big priority right now.

In our internal tests ( Season 2012/13 with a bunch of leagues in full detail and no human managers ) we are seeing an average of about 1.1 woodwork hit per match, or 0.55 per team. We do actually think this is perhaps a bit high but reducing it seems to be rather elusive and in honesty its not high enough to be a big priority right now.

I think that in this case you must stop looking at the big picture and look more for the little detail.

I agree with you that a 1.1 woodwork hit per match it's not too high... but the real problem is that we have games where there are 6 or 7 woodwork hits, something that i never seen irl.

I believe this is why people complain about this issue, because as you know you can have the same average with 100 balanced results or with 50 very high results plus 50 very low results.

The problem is that nobody remembers the games where there are no attempts on the woodwork, we all remember that game s where there are a few.

This is true... but i'm just saying that getting a 1.1 average per game dont necessary mean that the balance is right!

10 games, with 1 woodwork hit per game... give us a average of 1 hit per game

10 games, with 5 games with 2 woodwork hits and 5 games with none... give us a average of 1 hit per game

10 games with 1 game with 10 woodwork hits and 9 games with none... give us a average os 1 hit per game

Same average in all cases, but in the last one something is really off balanced! And i think this is the case in FM2013! :)

Averaging the number of woodworks is, IMHO, not the correct approach to deal with this kind of problems. The problem is that this consistently happens in consecutive matches. When was the last time you saw 3 matches in a row in EPL that had 1 woodwork every game? In SPL? Calcio? Not so many, or perhaps, I would say once every 2-3 years IRL. In FM2013, this happens every single match (well, up to 95% of the matches).

And yes, 1.1 is VERY high. Either you shoot the bird or you shoot the ball into the goal. Not at the bars once every match (in your average calculation).

• SI Staff
Averaging the number of woodworks is, IMHO, not the correct approach to deal with this kind of problems. The problem is that this consistently happens in consecutive matches. When was the last time you saw 3 matches in a row in EPL that had 1 woodwork every game? In SPL? Calcio? Not so many, or perhaps, I would say once every 2-3 years IRL. In FM2013, this happens every single match (well, up to 95% of the matches).

And yes, 1.1 is VERY high. Either you shoot the bird or you shoot the ball into the goal. Not at the bars once every match (in your average calculation).

I disagree. And anecdotally I generally would expect to see some woodwork action in most games I watch at some point, although that's just a gut feeling without statistical evidence.

I'm not sure there should be regular games where you hit the woodwork 5,6 even 7 times, that's unrealistic. The average doesn't reveal that.

At the very least I'd like an alternative answer to the post match press conference question about it as I'm bored of the one where I have hit the woodwork an 'an incredible x times' because for me it's fairly regular.

av 1.1 per game seems way too high if the image posted here

http://www.thefootballforum.net/index.php?/topic/211780-the-woodwork-hitting-league-table/

is correct.

That had 209 woodworks in prem league (100 bar, 109 post) in late April this year, so lets say they'd had 34 game-weeks at that point, that's about 340 games in total, or 0.6 per game which I have to say feels closer to my gut feel.

I had several matches with 7-8 wood-works (single team!) while other matches with one or none. Statistically the avg. wood-work will converge to somewhere around 1.1 and it's not unreasonable. Even though SI increase the average wood-work to 2 it's still acceptable. But since you explain internal test of hitting the bar with machine managers only, why couldn't control variations, e.g. avg. 1.1 but 5 standard deviations will result approximately 1/3 chances (1.1+/-5=) 0-6.5 wood-works per match. If SI try to control data yielding 2 avg. but 2 standard deviations, 0-4 wood-works per match, for 2 teams, could be the mainstream and it's acceptable.

Is anyone seeing any correlation between multiple woodwork hits and the "places shots" ppm?

Beyond that, I dont see anything happening on this for the 13 cycle.

No I'm not, none of my attackers have it as a PPM. I don't know what is happening, but I said a while ago I need to write to Soccer AM to enter my team on crossbar (or invent a new post) challenge. They'd clean up. If not from the halfway line. :)

My input means squat because as you say nothing is happening this cycle on it, but if it's 1.1 woodworks per game we're playing different games.

2j671wy.jpg

15pplzo.jpg

2lc9z09.jpg

2dlvo04.jpg

1z3p7rd.jpg

eg9pz.jpg

2dtzuz9.jpg

oh7eoo.jpg

qrfckp.jpg

1z1d7rb.jpg

Legni = Woodwork

Summing up, I selected the first 10 official matches played in season 1.

18 woodwork in total, with an easy average of 1.8 woodwork per match.

Pretty high to me.

Is anyone seeing any correlation between multiple woodwork hits and the "places shots" ppm?

Beyond that, I dont see anything happening on this for the 13 cycle.

There is only 1 player of mine who currently has "places shots" as ppm, and he is Sebastian Giovinco. However I don't play him regularly but as backup of my AML/Forward

In the grieve of streaming losses due to woodwork I contribute yet another non-bug thought-to-be-ancient creation of SI

woodwork.png

Should I have won the match?

Edit1: next match, now only 2 woodwork and luckily we won.

woodwork1.png

The media said we should have won by a bigger margin.

Edit2: the match after

woodwork2.png

Edit3: the 4th match in a row

woodwork3.png

In the grieve of streaming losses due to woodwork I contribute yet another non-bug thought-to-be-ancient creation of SI

Should I have won the match?

You should, but sometimes the team that deserves to win... ends up loosing the game. This happen every weekend around the world.

• SI Staff

Catennacio all your matches have a lot of shots vs the average, so clearly you will see more instances of woodwork over a season. And the better you are, the closer your shots to goal so the more that will perhaps hit woodwork instead of going over or wide.

We know its a little too high, but we arent prioritising it as a must fix right now as we dont think its a big enough deal compared to some other issues.

We know its a little too high, but we arent prioritising it as a must fix right now as we dont think its a big enough deal compared to some other issues.

I have to agree on this, its not gamebreaking in any way, and its the same for every team so its no biggie. You will probably try to tune it a bit for FM14, right?

Sidenote: Is Oliver working for SIgames now? I remember he quit to ride a motorcycle across the US, then later I read he returned to Sigames. But haven't heard anything about him for a few years now.

Also, is Marc Vaughan still around SI towers?

Catennacio all your matches have a lot of shots vs the average, so clearly you will see more instances of woodwork over a season. And the better you are, the closer your shots to goal so the more that will perhaps hit woodwork instead of going over or wide.

PaulC,

I believe that with the new upcoming patch, the total number of shots will be reduced, right?

So... with that... perhaps the number of woodwork shots will be reduced too.

• SI Staff
I have to agree on this, its not gamebreaking in any way, and its the same for every team so its no biggie. You will probably try to tune it a bit for FM14, right?

Sidenote: Is Oliver working for SIgames now? I remember he quit to ride a motorcycle across the US, then later I read he returned to Sigames. But haven't heard anything about him for a few years now.

Also, is Marc Vaughan still around SI towers?

Yes Ov is still with us, and MV. The motorcycle ride is news to me though :D

• SI Staff
PaulC,

I believe that with the new upcoming patch, the total number of shots will be reduced, right?

So... with that... perhaps the number of woodwork shots will be reduced too.

Perhaps, we will see......

Archived