Got my fm passion back at last. Have you? If so how?

It took me reading SRL88 career thread and playing in 2d. Got a good career going started unemployed then landed Wehen d3 Germany.

I have been playing since the red box game on the Amiga with fake players, had every version since. Since 2011 I have not played as much as I used to. Don't let my post count fool you. Got locked out of my Jonfun1980 profile when my aol email got shut.

So did you lose the passion and get it back? If you did how?

I have just managed to after about Fm12 and a good twenty restarts with different teams and unemployment and leagues on Fm13, in the end I sat and thought what I wanted to do and transfers I make and my three tactics.

I am now Aston Villa (Trying to take them back to a top half prem team) and I will be looking at how Psv do to see if they start to fall from grace and I think I will now be jumping between the two with international jobs in between.

I don't really know how it happened...

I started losing interest around CM00/01, likely due to college not allowing me to "invest" entire afternoons on a videogame (and partly because I found other videogames to keep me away from the books anyway).

CM 01/02, which I bought from the bargain bin two years later, kept me interested for a while, and so did the CM/FM split, but the overwhelming complexity introduced into the new franchise drove me away for good. [on a semi-related sidenote, I'm ashamed to confess I played CM5 longer than FM2005...]

I still downloaded the demo, every year, played it for a few in-game weeks and just decided it was too much of a chore, closer to a job than to a game... Even when I incautiously decided to buy the full version I rarely went past the second-third season.

Then around FM08 something changed, don't really know what it was but my demo save worked so well I just found myself back where I was ten years earlier..

Maybe some actual time off (didn't touch FM06 or 07) without trying to force myself to play made me miss the game and rekindled my love for it... Or maybe it was a weird sort of videogaming mid-life crisis, who knows ;)

All I can say is from FM2008 onwards I've been back to the old habits, despite not having the time I used to have as a teenager (but still managing to squeeze plenty of game time. Probably waaay too much for my own good).

However after five years of solid FM relationship, I'm starting to feel worn out again. FM13 demo didn't help one bit and probably it's a good thing...

I'm getting a new PC (due to the old one being on its last legs... I'd have spared that money TBF) so I'll give FM12 a final go with the biggest gameworld I've ever played in.

If that'll work out well, it'll keep me busy until FM14 (unless FM13 final patch will be a major major step forward).

If it won't work out, I'll take it as another sign it's time to give FM up again for a long while again.

Like so many people I used to download tactics and this it became a rinse and repeat repetition.

After reading several of the excellent articles in the Tactics forum I had a go at making my own tactics. A few failed attempts later I have a great narrow 41221 which has won me a few trophies, this and some wonderful home grown regens whom I want to see where their careers go.

I know it's not much to some but I've managed almost 340 hours so far which is far more than both the previous versions.

For me it was finding out that my home town of Wakefield a). Had a football team (and have had since 1922!) and b). Were in footy manager 2013 with the lower leagues custom database.

Have used the editor to put my best mate, brother-in-law and girlfriend in as Assistant Manager, Head of Youth and Physio respectively.

Makes for a fun game :) - will be particularly good watching my staff develop as I put the Ass Man and HOYD as 200 potential.

It's not fun at all.

One thing ME has always lack is common sense. I don't know anything about making games so maybe that's hard to implement into the game but simple things like turning around to see the option or from the defender on the half way line launching it out of play for a corner to the opposition.

No common sense in the game.

For me I started on the demo in October with Truro after a season and abit even though I got promoted. I then started Defauge challenge with North Ferriby losing in the play off finals and I still cant really get into a save that interests me.

Im going back to start a career game starting at my favourite club as haven't done that since FM09. so hopefully I'll get the passion back and a save I'll enjoy as now Ive tried LLM, unless its a club Im really passionate about I cant get into it.

You see, I'm still stuck in the rut personally. I last really enjoyed a save on FM10 where I started at a lower league team in France and ended up moving to Macclesfield, Southampton, Villa, Leverkusen, Birmingham and eventually AC Milan across about 20 or so seasons. Then FM11 came out and I just never got started again. I've tried to start up similar games but I just can't get that "hook" anymore. I've tried all the challenges but never got past the first Christmas! I'm really hoping that this will be the year that my love for the game is reignited!

Poor spells at Arsenal and Fulham.

Now plying my trade in little Wingate & Finchley....

Lets see how I do with no money, a team of Part timers and no room for expansion of training and youth facilities!

Large stadium though to house over 9000 fans (if I had that many!) lol

You see, I'm still stuck in the rut personally. I last really enjoyed a save on FM10 where I started at a lower league team in France and ended up moving to Macclesfield, Southampton, Villa, Leverkusen, Birmingham and eventually AC Milan across about 20 or so seasons. Then FM11 came out and I just never got started again. I've tried to start up similar games but I just can't get that "hook" anymore. I've tried all the challenges but never got past the first Christmas! I'm really hoping that this will be the year that my love for the game is reignited!

Glad its not just me then, my last great save was on FM11 in a journeyman career starting at Ajax. As stated in my post above I've started two saves and cant get into them. Having a final career game now starting at the team I support Hull City. Im even looking at changing the soundpacks to include my team chants to make it more interesting. I think the problem with LLM for me is that you have to have a connection with the club. I managed LLM with Plymouth in FM12 and took them through the leagues but it was never the same as my FM11 save.

Every Year.

One Save.

Commentary only.

6-8 countries.

No career plans.

Start lowest league.

Accept poor form, sackings.

Simple.

Still lose my temper!!

Love this approach! Can't do it myself as I'm always pulled to my team, Chelsea. Yes yes, boring big rich cub, but been playing this ways since e very first football management games.

Might very well try this new way though ;)

• Administrators
It took me reading slr88 career thread and playing in 2d. Got a good career going started unemployed then landed Wehen d3 Germany.

I have been playing since the red box game on the Amiga with fake players, had every version since. Since 2011 I have not played as much as I used to. Don't let my post count fool you. Got locked out of my Jonfun1980 profile when my aol email got shut.

So did you lose the passion and get it back? If you did how?

Merged your accounts together and linked this one to your non-AOL account. Please don't create alias accounts if you can't get on the forums, use the Contact Us button and we'll sort it. Ta.

Be a shame to close this thread but as usual it's turning into yet another ME feedback thread.

FGS!,Read the thread title before you post, nowhere does it ask why you aren't playing etc. etc.

Rather than see a good thread go the way of the others, is it possible to just remove said posts?

Im still playing FM12 my interest wavered a bit after my career game, winning it all went 35 games unbeaten title after title won. So i started a new Game Stafford Rangers to the Premiership i have tried this many times but failed every time due to corrupt games and new releases the Furthest i got them was League 2 in FM09... FM2012 I Will Succeed!!!!!! Only 5 more promotions to go

Played loads of saves this year already that never got past september / october. Always played with Liverpool as soon as I got a FM version but this year can't get going with them. My longest career was with Nott Forest, stopped at the start of season 3.

Since then i've tried Crewe, Wycombe, Rangers, Blackburn but always ragequited because of the ME.

Then I saw cleon's ajax youth development thread and was inspired! Never knew developing youngsters could be so much fun (especially because I was doing it wrong!) and decided to give it a go under one simple condition: COMMENTARY ONLY at max speed!

Yes I still hit the woodwork 3 times a match! I get disallowed goals too often! Injuries are through the roof! I need 10 shots to score a goal and they have 50% conversion rate! BUT, I still win the league with all these fantastic young players that are a joy to work with! This weekend, and with all this bad weather, i must have played some 30 hours! Which disgracefuly too much time for me! :D

So, that was my secret! Developing youngsters at a reputed football academy and commentary only!

It helped for me to start a game in Wales, make Bangor City proffesional after 2 seasons where i both got the championship.. Now in 2015 and enjoying it very much:)

Just when I was posting this, I got a error by clicking on a player :mad::mad::mad::mad: Runtime Error FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I lost the passion until I bought Fm13 a couple of days ago. Losing all the time in the League but got to the semis of the Spanish Federations Cup. Gimnastica Torrevalagos is who I'm manging in Second Division B2. In a right relegation scrap. 13th, 1 point above relegation playoff, 3 above automatic releagation in the middle of February...

By finally finding a save I enjoyed at Marseille. I actually started a Fulham, but they fired me off before the new year. Quickest i've ever been fired by a long way.

Now i'm playing in Europe & winning things with a team on the up, money in the bank & a stadium that's about to be increased by about 20,000. Suck on THAT, Al-Fayed! :p

Love this approach! Can't do it myself as I'm always pulled to my team, Chelsea. Yes yes, boring big rich cub, but been playing this ways since e very first football management games.

Might very well try this new way though ;)

Don't get me wrong, I do understand, and although I say no career plans, as a Liverpool fan, if I am offered that position further down the line in my career, of course I'll accept. FM12 was the first incarnation in a long time where I managed the reds. Ok, granted it was 12 years down the line, and all the current squad was gone, but was still nice to manage them and put my slant on the team, trying to build success with a majority British/Irish side. Ultimately I achieved a bit, but with a side with still a lot of foreigners, but I felt it was *my* team, rather than trying to emulate what was being done IRL.

I often think than when people start at the top, or with a team they support, on a brand new game, the pressure they heap on themselves is much bigger, and they don't enjoy as they want equal/better success than there team is enjoying IRL. With the new features/match engines brought out each year, the chance of achieving this, fairly, is often very difficult, and hence the dissatisfaction with the game.

I always start with a team with very limited prospects (bottom of the league IRL or predicted to finish in a low position on the game) for two reasons; firstly the expectations are lower, so the time a manager is given (usually) longer and secondly if my team finishes in a poor position or is relegated, I can tell myself that it is as much the teams/players fault as my own, because, well they are a poor team.

It's interesting to see the threads in the career update section of the site. Almost none of those careers starting at a top club, or even in a top division, really amount to anything, and granted long careers aren't for everyone, but those with longevity are those that have started low, and worked ther way up, got a real sense of achievement and immersed themselves into the game world. Granted many people won't have an existing affinity with these teams, but you will get one! I was searching for Santos Laguna football shirts on the Internet for just that reason, but there are the old adages of people travelling to another country to watch the team they managed in Football Manager.

My career thread; shameless plug Travels & Travails, has a potted history of my campaigns from FM09 on the first post, there has been relegations, sackings, as well as successes. But my careers are no different to the other careers in that section of the site. Have a read of some of them, go for those with multiple pages, and see the game-world immersion & often the failings, of people who have the FM passion.

Final thought in a long & rambling post, why not do the trial/error with teams that (initially at least), you don't care if they survive, or not, and then come the end of the (real) season, when you know what works & doesn't, and the match engine is in its final incarnation *treat* yourself to a career managing your favourite club, where you already have in-game knowledge built up over the preceding months of playing? Success will be easier to come by. I always say at the end of the year, I'll do that with Liverpool, but ultimately never do, as I'm too engrossed in my career save!!

Or don't, it's everyone's own game after all, play in the way that makes you happy!

I still play FM12, haven't even considered moving to FM13 yet, i'll wait until the final patch I think. However, I found that my passion for the game rekindled when I decided to ignore the EPL entirely. Too often i'd go an English team and get bored after about 1 - 1.5 seasons in, was just dull and predictable and Man City annoyed me too much haha.

I've started playing in Brazil with Fluminense, Ukraine with Dnipro and Holland with Ajax since and loved every save. I've tried on all of them to stick to a few challenges for myself such as use free transfers and bosmans only, bring through 2 youth players a year, only sign home nation talents, keep the maximum wage to a very reasonable level etc, something that makes it interesting. There is a certain satisfaction of developing a youngster that has come through your academy and making them the top player in the country/world etc.

always bought the game every year, the past 2 i have got bored i hate it when i get the feeling on i cant be bothered playing fm at the moment etc etc, didnt know whether i am going to buy fm13 ( but i am ), just hoping i dont get the same feeling as bored and cant be bothered playing it hopefully not,

on all games i go everton and also just put the english premier league in it only, no point in putting other leagues in

I have started a career thread using FCUtdWills English Database down to level 11, starting as my local village side. The challenge of taking them to the professional level has got me back in love with FM. With the fan base being extremely small it will be insanely hard but there is nothing better than a good challenge :)

Im loving this years version, but reading this thread has taken it to a whole new level - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/322668-Scout-and-Team-reports-and-how-I-use-them.

Before I used to take a quick glance at opposition reports. Now I actually look forward to them, and spend so much more time with them.

You get out of this game what you put in.

Archived