No Tactical changes (playing with all default settings) made my team better

I set up a tactic that was working for me until the last couple of games, in the last game i was 3-0 down, got annoyed so i just set my team to a 4-4-2 took all tactical changes i had made off and left it all on default. My team went and scored 2 goals in 15mins, unfortunately i couldnt get the 3rd.

Surely just playing with all the default settings and changing to them half way through a game shouldnt have a really good effect on your team? I am intrigued by this, so i am now going to try this out in a few matches and see what happens.

well i am gonna spend some time tomorrow playing games like this and see what happens, if my team goes from being pretty average (probably more like poor) to being a good solid team using default settings and a standard formation then there truly is no point playing this game.

I had wondered about this before i got the game as well because my girlfriends sister bought this game for herself even though she knows very little about football and doesnt really watch it or anything but enjoys tactical games. She changed very little and played a standard 4-4-2 with Leeds, barely made any signings and got leeds promoted in 2nd place in her first ever season on an FM game, 2nd season she was sitting comfortably in mid table in the Prem after signing like 2 players. She was basically playing with a championship team in the prem making almost no tactical changes yet the team was performing well

I'll try it again: ;)

Understanding what tactical changes do and applying them

works better than

Default tactics

works better than

Not understanding what tactical changes do and applying them

I don't want to offend you, but that's just the way it is, if you don't want to dig deeper into things.

works better than

Default tactics

works better than

I don't want to offend you, but that's just the way it is, if you don't want to dig deeper into things.

I have read a lot about the tactics to this game and really got a grip of what things do but unless your playing in the top leagues with good teams it seems nearly impossible to apply any kind of tactical changes without having a detrimental effect on your team. There is no way that switching to all the default settings should make your team vastly better

Why not?

Default settings are Default because they are based on solid real football foundations... the idea being that you take those settings and work from there with knowledge of what the changes will do.

But yes, if you are putting settings in that won't work and then set to default, you will almost certainly see an improvement.

agreeing with what has already been said, keeping it simple is often the best way to allow your team to do what they do best.

in real life this works wonders with Harry Redknapp - who is well known for letting the players express themselves.

Having sliders and 1001 different tactical tweaks does add for realism, but when one tactical change for one player has a knock-on effect for the rest of the team (for example allowing a full back to support the attack but not having the players behind who can cover for him) you can be on a hiding to nothing.

The preset tactics are not weak/inferior as such. they are basic commands which allow the players abilities (stats and PPM's) dictate the flow of play

No - the point is that you can use your own tactics and settings and use all the sliders you want and get great results....if you understand what is happening properly. A lot of people who complain (I'm not classing you with them btw) because they don't realise what they are doing when they create their own tactics properly so of course they will get better results with default tactics than messed up ones.

I used to do everything with sliders myself but most of the time now use the tactical roles to suit my players with a few minor tweaks depending on individuals/opposition and it works better because I'm obviously not good enough to do everything myself like I used to (despite having played this game since CM 97/98) and there is no shame in using default tactics if you understand why and how they work!

I thought I should bump this thread because I have not been shy in slagging off the ME.

Before this latest patch I was having enormous amounts of success down in League 1 with my Brentford team. I've now realised that this success and winning by a 3 goal margin each game was down to the ME weaknesses at the time. Without knowing, I made a tactic which exploited the consistent Through Balls and players dribbling down the middle of the pitch.

With this latest patch, I've been having little success. I have rage quit quite a few times, which is something I'm not proud of but I feel necessary when I feel constantly hard done by. I've now gone back to FM13 from FM12 to give it another try but to now do this Default a try. I've always been one to use the sliders on all previous games with good effect.

I must say, keeping my same tactics and formation but just unchecking the boxes has made my tactic miles better. I even changed Man Marking to Default, and Creative Freedom to Default. Everything looks better. I've also changed specific roles to what my coach has suggest there best at. Everything is just clicking now.

I guess I didn't know that much about tactics after all. But I can now play the game with some sort of satisfaction and at the same time wait for the patch.

This is kinda disappointing because personally i loved messing with the sliders and stuff trying to get my team to play the exact football i wanted, seems much harder to do on this game which although is realistic and i have no complaints what so ever about it, it has made creating a tactic less fun for me as i tend to see my team getting worse and can never really tell by looking at matching why they have got worse

Everything that happens in this ME is random. So, making changes in the tactics, creates a larger randomness. This is why default works better than changing something.

How can you have "a larger randomness" then "everything is random" ? :D

Everything that happens in this ME is random. So, making changes in the tactics, creates a larger randomness. This is why default works better than changing something.

works better than

Default tactics

works better than

You won't be able to disprove that.

Archived