Poor Concentration, Morale, or I am unlucky/rubbish?

Hello Everyone

Just quickly, this is one of the best forums, always get good advice etc. even if I do sometimes come on and moan about FM (mainly because I dont get it, or am doing something wrong).

Anyway, cut a long story short, started a game with Newcastle, to try and learn about tactics and roles etc, all through advice from this forum. I was doing really well, 2nd in the Prem, not really bought anyone, just tried to utilise what I had. Anyway, got to 26/27 games in (can't remember exactly), and thought "right, I have learned and studied and seem to have grasped the idea of this" so I quit and started a game as Dartford in the Conference. Bit frustrating at times, but soldiered on and finished 5th, but lost in the play-offs, hit some real bad form, and Luton out played us. Deservedly lost. Started next season, not quite as well as year before, but still hanging around the play-offs, thought I was getting to grips with the tactics in that league...

Then Southend came along and offered me a job in League 2. I couldnt refuse... wish I had!!

They were 10th, they had sacked Sturrock and offered me a deal and the clause was finish in top 10. I am currently 15th... won the opening game, having a nightmare since.

We concede lots of goals, but all the same... We either take the lead then concede literally a minute or two later, or the last couple of games, concede in the last 10 minutes. In fact the last game, we were 2-0 up against Port Vale, in the 84th minute. 85th, they scored... changed tactics quickly to time waste, to hopefully see it out...87th, they scored again... 90+1 they scored again...!!!

As you can imgaine, I was rather angry...

Lots of late goals, especially from crosses... my central defenders I am sure know how to head the ball away every now and then...

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone is having trouble or had similar problems in the past and how they eradicated it??

New players are needed, but I can't buy any, they are finincial trouble.

In case you are wondering, I play with 4 along the back with two full backs (was wing backs)

1 DM as support

2 central midfilders (one as Box to Box and one as attacking

2 Wingers (one set as IF)

And one deep lying forward.

We sit deep ish as i have slow centre backs

Passing is default or sometimes direct if not working.

Somewhere I have seen a post regarding a bug with goals coming from crosses... goals that I conceed I must admit do often come from crosses, but also corners and free kicks (although I know the way to sort this is by training on defending set pieces.

Just finished playing 3rd bottom Dags and red and was winning 1-0... 84th minute, my right back under no pressure, plays the ball inside towards my centre back... although he ends up going nicely to their strikers feet, he goes through on goal and scores... ridiculous!

I have seen things on this forum to suggest game results are pre determined whether you watch the match via ME or not... from what I have been witnessing lately, this wouldn't surprise me.

I have seen things on this forum to suggest game results are pre determined whether you watch the match via ME or not... from what I have been witnessing lately, this wouldn't surprise me.
Fiction is infectous.

What highlight mode do you watch your games with?

My Champions League nightmare, maybe it will make you feel a bit better (this is all in different seasons, my team is Man Utd):

Season 1: first knockout round, beat Bayern 2-1 away, then lose 4-0 at home, the team simply falls apart;

Season 2: first knockout round, lose 2-1 to Atletico Madrid away, lead 5-1 at home and then concede 3 goals in the last 5 minutes to win 5-4 and go out on goal difference;

Season 3: semi final, lose 1-0 away to Barcelona, draw 1-1 at home, their GK man of the match, they only have 1 shot on goal;

Season 4: quarter final, beat Barcelona 2-0 at home, lose 3-0 away, my team falls apart

Season 5: semi final, lose 5-1 to Juventus away (the team falls apart AGAIN), win 3-0 at home (needed 4-0 to go to the final), hit the woodwork 5 times and have 8 'clear cut chances', they have 0 shots on goal;

Season 6: final, lose 2-0 to PSG, their goalkeeper is man of the match, saves everything you can possibly imagine (and more);

Season 7 (current season): final, lose 1-0 to Lyon, they have 1 shot on goal, their GK man of the match; kept reloading until I won it (in the second time, we were leading 1-0, then they got a non-existing penalty in 87th minute, and then scored again in 117th and 119th thanks to two mistakes of my defenders; their GK man of the match);

I never reloaded a game, but enough is enough. This is a game, it's supposed to entertain me, not frustrate the life out of me. Oh, and my team is:

GK - ter Stegen

RB - Rafael

CB - Papadopoulos

CB - Phil Jones

LB - Alaba

MC - Fellaini

MC - Kroos

AMR - Gotze

AMC - Messi

AML - Bale

ST - Neymar

Subs:

GK - Soto (regen)

ST - Damiao

AMC - Wilshere

AMC - Isco

DM -M'Villa

DLC - Sven Rose (regen)

DR - Corchia

Not to mention a bunch of other world class players and wonderkids. We've won the title 6 times in the last 7 years, three FA cups in a row etc, but the Champions League? No way to win it, always lose thanks to a statistically possible but highly improbable chain of events.

And now that I've said that, I feel stupid for reloading and I'll probably reload again until I LOSE again, since that was what happened the first time.

But really SI games, did I pay to be entertained or frustrated? I don't mind losing fair and square, but these crazy losses are unbearable.

If you invest a fraction of the time learning to play the game tactically (for example browsing through the Tactics forum), you will actually save time.

Don't believe me? Think I'm full of it? Just check the threads where some people were nice enough to document how they went from raging denial to playing happily again.

There is no 'tactic' to prevent the opposing goalkeeper from getting a 9.8 and saving 20 shots :) As I've said, my team usually wins (got lucky - some businessman bought us early in the game) and I don't care if I lose deservedly, but these silly occurrences (especially the woodwork, we usually hit it 2-3 times per match, literally) take out the enjoyment from the GAME.

There is no 'tactic' to prevent the opposing goalkeeper from getting a 9.8 and saving 20 shots :) As I've said, my team usually wins (got lucky - some businessman bought us early in the game) and I don't care if I lose deservedly, but these silly occurrences (especially the woodwork, we usually hit it 2-3 times per match, literally) take out the enjoyment from the GAME.
Not true. Apart from it happening from time to time, like it happens in the real world, there are many, many (tactical and other) decisions we can make that "encourage" opposing GK performances like that.

Look, this is a game, not all of us can afford to invest hours and hours into it. I work from 9 to 5 and playing time is ever so precious... I want to be entertained, not frustrated. How come I never get to win after the opponents hitting the bar 5 times (I had a match in which I hit the woodwork 8 times, but we won that one; then the journalists asked me if I could believe what I was seeing)? How come I never get any lucky breaks? :)

It's a game, if you think about it, it has very little with real life, so please, entertain me. My perception is all that matters when it comes to things like this, so if I feel cheated, you're doing it wrong, even though nothing wicked is actually happening. Ya know, customer satisfaction? :p

That said, Football Manager has been a love/hate relationship since the moment I fist played it (15 years ago... Damn, I'm old -.-). A game is supposed to cater me and entertain me, I have enough frustrations in real life. I hope you see my point :)

Hate to drag up the cliche, but it's your tactics. Try perhaps to change back to simple, a standard 442 for example. See if that helps and build from there. Make sure your tactics fit your players.

Check out the t&t section for more and better advice.

Good luck!

It used to be 442 but that wasn't working either so tried the 451 and the football we play has been ok, but sick of conceding silly goals and so late on in the game.

Look, this is a game, not all of us can afford to invest hours and hours into it. I work from 9 to 5 and playing time is ever so precious... I want to be entertained, not frustrated. How come I never get to win after the opponents hitting the bar 5 times (I had a match in which I hit the woodwork 8 times, but we won that one; then the journalists asked me if I could believe what I was seeing)? How come I never get any lucky breaks? :)

It's a game, if you think about it, it has very little with real life, so please, entertain me. My perception is all that matters when it comes to things like this, so if I feel cheated, you're doing it wrong, even though nothing wicked is actually happening. Ya know, customer satisfaction? :p

That said, Football Manager has been a love/hate relationship since the moment I fist played it (15 years ago... Damn, I'm old -.-). A game is supposed to cater me and entertain me, I have enough frustrations in real life. I hope you see my point :)

I've said this before, how are we expected to find so many hours... I then got told to try FMC... That's not the same! And to be honest I still came across the post problems.

I am however ploughing on and reading a lot of tactic threads and trying to hopefully get a well educated knowledge of this game, because I actually do love the FM series, otherwise I wouldn't be in here researching and asking for advice. I'm hoping the planned update will help (especially with my players constantly having long range shots when I tactically tried to make sure they don't).

Well, after reloading a dozen times, I just can't lose again. I ain't reloading any more, but I will start a new save, and use what I've learned so far, tactics and player-wise. It's stupid, I know, but I can't help myself, I feel like crap for reloading, even though I think I should have won that match easily the first time :p

How could you seriously write that, after I answered you:
If you invest a fraction of the time learning to play the game tactically (for example browsing through the Tactics forum), you will actually save time.

Don't believe me? Think I'm full of it? Just check the threads where some people were nice enough to document how they went from raging denial to playing happily again.

Guys, it's a thing of choice on how much you read guides/useful threads/etc..., but if you waste more time frustrating yourself with reloading or brute-force methods, than you would need to learn to play AND actually play the game, it's your own fault.

I didn't say it's all that casual friendly by SI nowadays, but the above would be pretty inefficent and less fun, so why do it?

OP: Asked because the more you watch, the less the highlights might eventually falsify the real action on the pitch, for example the "unexpected goals". If you do watch the game and don't know how to read or react to it, I'd recommend hopping to the tactics forum, checking some of the sticky threads and/or creating a thread with enough information, so people can try to assist you. And like I said, invest as much time as you choose to, just not less than you spend raging. ;)

OP: Asked because the more you watch, the less the highlights might eventually falsify the real action on the pitch, for example the "unexpected goals". If you do watch the game and don't know how to read or react to it, I'd recommend hopping to the tactics forum, checking some of the sticky threads and/or creating a thread with enough information, so people can try to assist you. And like I said, invest as much time as you choose to, just not less than you spend raging. ;)

Thanks. I did do a similar post in 2009 for FM09 (believe it or not ;) ) and it made a massive difference, I learnt about the game, tactics, and had much more success. One man was dedicated to helping me, and I learnt loads.

Skipped FM10 as I was having too much fun in FM09. FM11 came along and I went through the same kind of post, I had to have someone help me again, because of the chnages from FM09 to FM11. I bought FM12 and needed no help, took to it like a duck to water... FM13 comes along and I am really struggling again (at lower leagues anyway, I am not on of these to start at the top, I like to build my way to the top, no downloaded tactics or anything).

I am wathcing from now on. I have noticed that my shape and the space we create out wide is much better, however, it can get rather congested in the middle... sometime, my middle three (DM and 2CM) look like they are trying to huddle close to keep warm!! My football brain says make us 'wider' using the slider... that doesnt seem to work... well it does, but I concede to much space.

It doesn't help being lower down, as their footballing brain and skill is nowhere near the level in top leagues, but every team in this league should have same problems, no?

Like I said, hop over to the tactics forum, be as informative as possible about your tactics and the problems you're having and then wait a bit for answers. Additionaly or instead, be sure to check out threads like these:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/332585-How-to-Play-FM13-A-Twelve-Step-Guide

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/334248-Understanding-Your-Tactic-The-Discussion

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/343507-FM-2013-A-Simple-Guide

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/305067-The-Full-90-Minutes-What-I-Do

The first one would be a good start and doesn't take up too much time too read thoroughly. The more time you can spare, the greater the fun/reward.

I was once like you are now.

I couldn't get anything to work, and after 3 years in my journeyman save, had I been in 4 clubs. No success.

I got my fifth job, and decided enough was enough. I invested 2 hours in reading some guides and threads - mainly on this forum - and I made an overview of my players. What roles did they prefer, am I suffering in some attributes, other imbalances etc.

I used the FMC to make me a formation based on the qualities of my players and prefered roles. I also adressed the issues in my squad. For example were my players weakest in the division regarding determination and decisions. I started defensively and patiently, and suddenly was I winning matches regurlarly. I maintain a good form for longer, and my bad form runs are shorter.

Qwqwqw says that he's having a 9-to-5 job, but so has I. And that was my excuse for not studying my squad and tactics thoroughly, but I should have done it way earlier. Instead of hours of frustration, I would rather use a couple of hours on - I admit it - rather tedious work and then enjoy the game.

I'm now having fun with my save, and I have earned two promotions in five season - currently holding a top half finish 1/3 into my first season in the top division.

As I've said, I did get the tactics right and I do win titles. 6 titles in 7 seasons, three FA Cups and several League Cups. I'd say that's not bad at all? And the best part of it is actually figuring the game out on your own. If I'll read all that, I might as well use FM Scout instead of my own scouts (which I don't do, it ruins the fun).

You apparently don't bother to read what I posted. Those aren't "cheats" or plug & play hints, but input that helps you help yourself.

The issues you're having, whether you won 87923679 trophies in 3 days or not, are indicating problems with you understanding the reasons behind them. The above would help you.

As I've said, I did get the tactics right and I do win titles. 6 titles in 7 seasons, three FA Cups and several League Cups. I'd say that's not bad at all? And the best part of it is actually figuring the game out on your own. If I'll read all that, I might as well use FM Scout instead of my own scouts (which I don't do, it ruins the fun).

The tactics forums have been split into two for a few years now. The downloads forum is full of threads that supposedly promise great results by playing a certain way. The discussion forum is full of guides and discussions that encourage you to think about tactics in a holistic way. In no way does this forum support 'easy win' tactics. It merely provides a logical starting position from which users can design any type of tactic they want to. It makes the playing experience richer and more enjoyable, not easier.

Thanks for everyones help advice etc. I have read through a few of the forums mentioned already, but some I hadn't and found interesting. I will continue with my Southend save and and see how I get on. If I am still having trouble, then I will post tactics etc to the Tactics forum and hopefully someone will help :)

Hello again, hopefully someone will go back in here and read this... I spent most part of yesterday reading through tactical forums and various bits... the team began to play better football, and we have even managed a couple of wins, however, we are conceeding so many goals through individual, many of which, I don't see happening to the opposing teams.

Couple of examples:

- Full back plays ball inside and gifts it straight to their forward, they go through one on one and score. - Now this has happened three times in the last 9 games.

- Goalkeeper errors - First choice goalkeeper came for a corner, dropped to the opposing players feet, he scored. He got Injured, so sub goalkeeper comes in, he comes for a free kick...yep you guessed it, he drops it straight at the strikers feet, they score... that was after just 38 seconds...

- Penalties - we have given away something silly, like 5 penalties in 10/11 games. Composure, concentration, I know all play a part, but I am in league 2... with no money... many other teams in this league have players with worse stats than mine.

Any advice on the above, as to whether there is anything I can do? I am guessing I just need to get their confidence/moral back up after going on a bad run of form. Proving hard at the minute...

Most likely a combination of everything.

Do NOT change your tactics rapidly and oftenly. A common mistake is that people expect results and they expect them right at the moment they change something. Only change when something happens in the same manner repeatedly. Start by building your tactic around your squad, but after the first few years it's the other way around and it's time you build your squad around your tactic. Everything can work if you get the players with the right stats/ppm/mentality.

Also, accept that **** can happen. As much as I am aware that games give most satisfaction when beaten, FM does not go really well with short-term goals most of the time. Focusing on achieving long-term goals is more crucial.

And from a more personal experience in League 1/2. Position means nothing. All the teams are close to equal and it only comes down to how you handle your tactics and your players. Luck plays a big factor as well, but this is something which makes the division all the more interesting on its later stages.

What happened to you is something that will happen to all teams of your decisions at least once in the season. Keep going and see how it unfolds.

Most likely a combination of everything.

Do NOT change your tactics rapidly and oftenly. A common mistake is that people expect results and they expect them right at the moment they change something. Only change when something happens in the same manner repeatedly. Start by building your tactic around your squad, but after the first few years it's the other way around and it's time you build your squad around your tactic. Everything can work if you get the players with the right stats/ppm/mentality.

Also, accept that **** can happen. As much as I am aware that games give most satisfaction when beaten, FM does not go really well with short-term goals most of the time. Focusing on achieving long-term goals is more crucial.

And from a more personal experience in League 1/2. Position means nothing. All the teams are close to equal and it only comes down to how you handle your tactics and your players. Luck plays a big factor as well, but this is something which makes the division all the more interesting on its later stages.

What happened to you is something that will happen to all teams of your decisions at least once in the season. Keep going and see how it unfolds.

Ok, thanks.

Where you have put above though about not changing tactics frequently, I don't tend to do that, but in a lot of these forums, people have put changing things around during each game all the time and giving various shouts etc... is that not constantly changing tactics, or just tinkering?

Ok, thanks.

Where you have put above though about not changing tactics frequently, I don't tend to do that, but in a lot of these forums, people have put changing things around during each game all the time and giving various shouts etc... is that not constantly changing tactics, or just tinkering?

Changing tactics during the game and using shouts is a different thing. It's tinkering around the solid and main tactic depending on something that might have happened in one match.

The tactic that you start the match with should be kept solid in its most part after you create it and changed only if it has some really big mistakes in it. If you tinker too much with it, you lower the familiarity levels by quite a lot and this costs you even more than having a only slightly bad but overall viable tactic.

Also,keep it simple, just pick tempos and styles that fit your player stats and tinker on from there in the middle of the match if needed.

I am getting seriously angry now... no pressure what so ever, my player basically plays the most under hit pass allows their player a one on one and goal... how many times is this going to happen, really... its just ridiculous!

It's not the same player either in case you're thinking "why haven't you dropped that player yet?"

... 4-0 up at half time... calmed... its now 4-2 and I've had a player sent off with 25mins left... :/

We held on but that was far too nervous! Never felt comfortable but against 4th that should give us some confidence...

Next game, gave away a penalty within in 5 mins... lost 2-0.

I am sure people are now bored with my thread, nearly as much as I am losing/gifting goals. No tactic seems to arradicate this.

I am going to wait until the latest update has been released before I carry on playing this game.

Archived