The "FM Hates me" thread

This is a thread for broken men (and women!). Managers who know what it's like to look up at the skies and lament the footballing gods for cursing them so. Managers whose players are inevitably possessed by the spirit of Titus Bramble at the most inopportune moments, and who are doomed to spend their days hunched over their keyboard sobbing gently.

In other words, this is where you share those stories of gambles gone horribly wrong, player idiocy and just outright misfortune that inevitably have us all looking longingly at that 'load game' button and wondering if it would be so bad if we just made it go away...

I'll start with a relatively tame one, but enough to inspire me to start this thread.

Leicester City, 2020/21 season. We've started well enough, with a 9-0 aggregate win over Hearts in the Europa League playoff, and a surprise (but well-earned) 1-0 opening day win over Man City. Next up we have Southampton at home, who are a decent upper-mid-table outfit in this game, but given our current form and the fact we're very strong at home, I'm anticipating a reasonably comfortable win.

'Not so', say the FM gods.

Within ten minutes, my usually uber-reliable DM plays a dodgy backpass. All isn't lost, as it looks like it'll make it to the keepe... wait, why is he just standing there? Can't he see the striker charging down on it? Oh for the love of... 0-1

Before half an hour is up, my right-back looks at the DM and says 'anything you can do...' and plays an even worse backpass. This time the keeper had no blame whatsoever - didn't stand a chance. 0-2.

I was frustrated, but we still had plenty of time to turn it round, and if there's one thing my team does well, it's come from behind (no innuendo intended!). For the next 70 minutes or so, we laid siege to the Southampton goal, and not just from 30+ yards - we were playing some beautiful football, working it into the box nicely, getting good crosses in, and just generally doing everything right except put the ball in the net. My 2 strikers (who between them scored 60 goals in all competitions last year) were missing sitter after sitter - when my midfielders stepped up to the plate to try and bail them out, they found their shots bouncing off a solid wall of defenders willing to die for their cause. When shots did somehow manage to sneak through the melee of red-and-white shirted ball-magnets, I found out that prior to kick-off, Southampton had apparently replaced their usual goalkeeper with the lovechild of Spiderman and a Ninja. We could have played for a week and not managed to score.

The final whistle rolled round and I was actually glad to get it over with, as it was utterly demoralising to see my players creating so many chances and failing to get anywhere near the goal. Final stats indicated that we had 27 shots on goal with only 8 forcing a save from the keeper (and that wasn't overly inflated by the 'long shots' ME problem) to Southampton's six shots on goal with only 2 going anywhere near our goalkeeper, who spent most of the second half sat on a deckchair with a newspaper out.

As I said, not the worst story in the world, but it gets the ball rolling. So, share your sob stories and make the rest of us feel a little better about our rotten luck. :)

I once had injuries to every pure striker at my club. It was back in like FM 11, both first team strikers out for 3-4 months. The youth teamers out for like 3- 4 weeks each. thankfully it was right before the window opened in January so i was able to bring in a player. Didn't stop me from losing to Man united and the Spuds before then though.

Pretty handy this thread was just made as I was thinking of making one after what happened last night.

I am in the Championship with Tonbridge,after a good season we finish 3rd and are in the play offs.

We make it to the final where we will meet Leeds,come match day I see my best player my CB is away on international duty,I can't believe it but I replace him and hit continue to my horror my captain and 2nd best player is also away on international duty.

I figure I must have been asleep at the wheel and missed the chance to withdraw them from the squads so I decide to reload as this is something a real life manager would not miss.

I reload and there is no option to withdraw them from the internationals,here I am playing in what they call the 40 million game and a chance of the Premiership just to find that my 2 best players and captain and vice captain are away on international duty.

We lose 3-1 and I know for sure with those 2 players it would have been a totally different game......Yes FM hates me!

I once had injuries to every pure striker at my club. It was back in like FM 11, both first team strikers out for 3-4 months. The youth teamers out for like 3- 4 weeks each. thankfully it was right before the window opened in January so i was able to bring in a player. Didn't stop me from losing to Man united and the Spuds before then though.

Back on FM06 or 07 i think i can beat this.

Similar to you i lost alot of strikers due to injury. Fighting strong domestically, although to be honest that was a given, no team in the league could defend against my front 2, and i had the most prolific goalscorer in the world. I'd picked him up at just 17 for £30k aswell. My proudest ever signing. Just before january both my strikers got injured. The more prolific one for 8 months. The other for 3 months. Given that i was in a smaller league keeping budgets meant getting to the semis of Europe was essential. I had a decent back up striker, but all my youth ones where on loan without a recall clause.

I had a full £8mil left to spend. Brought in a loan striker but he would only be a good enough for a back up. I then spent the full £8mil on a 28 year old from the Belgium league. He'd been the top scorer in that league for the past 4 years, and was one of the best in Europe. But only really because he was quick. But he'd do. Only for in the first game both of them arrived for, both where injured for a 3-4 week period.

In that time i had both legs of my Champions league games. No money to replace, one recognised striker, who was well below par for this level. And losing would have huge financial implications for the next 2-3 years.

Back on FM06 or 07 i think i can beat this.

Similar to you i lost alot of strikers due to injury. Fighting strong domestically, although to be honest that was a given, no team in the league could defend against my front 2, and i had the most prolific goalscorer in the world. I'd picked him up at just 17 for £30k aswell. My proudest ever signing. Just before january both my strikers got injured. The more prolific one for 8 months. The other for 3 months. Given that i was in a smaller league keeping budgets meant getting to the semis of Europe was essential. I had a decent back up striker, but all my youth ones where on loan without a recall clause.

I had a full £8mil left to spend. Brought in a loan striker but he would only be a good enough for a back up. I then spent the full £8mil on a 28 year old from the Belgium league. He'd been the top scorer in that league for the past 4 years, and was one of the best in Europe. But only really because he was quick. But he'd do. Only for in the first game both of them arrived for, both where injured for a 3-4 week period.

In that time i had both legs of my Champions league games. No money to replace, one recognised striker, who was well below par for this level. And losing would have huge financial implications for the next 2-3 years.

Ha! That certainly tops mine.

This is a thread for broken men (and women!). Managers who know what it's like to look up at the skies and lament the footballing gods for cursing them so. Managers whose players are inevitably possessed by the spirit of Titus Bramble at the most inopportune moments, and who are doomed to spend their days hunched over their keyboard sobbing gently.

In other words, this is where you share those stories of gambles gone horribly wrong, player idiocy and just outright misfortune that inevitably have us all looking longingly at that 'load game' button and wondering if it would be so bad if we just made it go away...

I'll start with a relatively tame one, but enough to inspire me to start this thread.

Leicester City, 2020/21 season. We've started well enough, with a 9-0 aggregate win over Hearts in the Europa League playoff, and a surprise (but well-earned) 1-0 opening day win over Man City. Next up we have Southampton at home, who are a decent upper-mid-table outfit in this game, but given our current form and the fact we're very strong at home, I'm anticipating a reasonably comfortable win.

'Not so', say the FM gods.

Within ten minutes, my usually uber-reliable DM plays a dodgy backpass. All isn't lost, as it looks like it'll make it to the keepe... wait, why is he just standing there? Can't he see the striker charging down on it? Oh for the love of... 0-1

Before half an hour is up, my right-back looks at the DM and says 'anything you can do...' and plays an even worse backpass. This time the keeper had no blame whatsoever - didn't stand a chance. 0-2.

I was frustrated, but we still had plenty of time to turn it round, and if there's one thing my team does well, it's come from behind (no innuendo intended!). For the next 70 minutes or so, we laid siege to the Southampton goal, and not just from 30+ yards - we were playing some beautiful football, working it into the box nicely, getting good crosses in, and just generally doing everything right except put the ball in the net. My 2 strikers (who between them scored 60 goals in all competitions last year) were missing sitter after sitter - when my midfielders stepped up to the plate to try and bail them out, they found their shots bouncing off a solid wall of defenders willing to die for their cause. When shots did somehow manage to sneak through the melee of red-and-white shirted ball-magnets, I found out that prior to kick-off, Southampton had apparently replaced their usual goalkeeper with the lovechild of Spiderman and a Ninja. We could have played for a week and not managed to score.

The final whistle rolled round and I was actually glad to get it over with, as it was utterly demoralising to see my players creating so many chances and failing to get anywhere near the goal. Final stats indicated that we had 27 shots on goal with only 8 forcing a save from the keeper (and that wasn't overly inflated by the 'long shots' ME problem) to Southampton's six shots on goal with only 2 going anywhere near our goalkeeper, who spent most of the second half sat on a deckchair with a newspaper out.

As I said, not the worst story in the world, but it gets the ball rolling. So, share your sob stories and make the rest of us feel a little better about our rotten luck. :)

Dude, i died! Also that is the legend no one speaks off lest its wrath come down upon you and all your one-footed players. That is the beast that's said to haunt top flight managers everywhere with its reality-defying saves and nigh invulnerability in one on one situations. It is the robber that sneaks in at night, the fly in your coffee and the morning wood at dusk. It s the one... the only SUPERKEEPER!.

Thanks to FM i now have a curious hatred of Wayne Hennessy, stats don't look too impressive, but when i play him he turns into the above beast nine times out of ten, infuriating to the extreme!

Just lost an FA cup final with Championship Middlesbrough after my keeper decided to return the ball to the opposition for a free kick on the half way line. Of course he was then somewhere near the D when they took the direct free kick straight over his head for a 50 yarder. Yeh that was nice...
thats what being sporting gets you on fm i guess

Just had the most crushing end to a season on FM ever! After a colossal slog where i had won the League Cup, where I was battling on all fronts I was eight points clear at the top of the EPL with three games to play, and the FA Cup Final and Europa League final to come. I was anticipating an unprecedented quadruple. Fixture rearrangements meant that my final two league games were after the season had ended for everyone else.

So, I lose the FA Cup Final on penalties, I lose the Europa League Final in ET, and then I lose A at Man U, lose A at Liverpool, and then lose A at Tottenham, losing the EPL to Man City by 1pt. Talk about an end of season collapse...

I bought C.Ronaldo for 22 million when he was 30 thinking he was going to be a player that would carry on for the next 10 years without decline...Oh boy was I wrong!

After a season he went down by 2 stars to 1 1/2 and stayed in my reserves for 3 years. Although I wasted 22 million, that isn't even the worst part.

The wages. Oh god the wages! 325k per week!!! Over 60 million pounds that bugger took off me!

Just had the most crushing end to a season on FM ever! After a colossal slog where i had won the League Cup, where I was battling on all fronts I was eight points clear at the top of the EPL with three games to play, and the FA Cup Final and Europa League final to come. I was anticipating an unprecedented quadruple. Fixture rearrangements meant that my final two league games were after the season had ended for everyone else.

So, I lose the FA Cup Final on penalties, I lose the Europa League Final in ET, and then I lose A at Man U, lose A at Liverpool, and then lose A at Tottenham, losing the EPL to Man City by 1pt. Talk about an end of season collapse...

Damn, man. That's a bad time to have a bad run. Talk about a punch in the gut.

I had this on FM13 except 1 was on youth international duty for 3 games. I had 3 injured and my youth strikers were hopeless (this was my first season) so I played a left winger up front

its not ME, or match related... When i was manager in France, i saw a magnificent talent, future golden ball, so when i went to Arsenal season later i tried for 2 years talking to press, and basically was pouring honey on his ears... so finally he gets transfer listed... i bid... Man Utd bids as well... i offered ******* 80k more a week in basic wages, not mentioning better bonuses, but he still chose my "beloved" Utd...

Archived